PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive CFB tickets? Big XII

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 10:08 AM
The Big 12 leads the nation for the most expensive “high-demand” average college football ticket, according to The Oregonian. And no other conference comes close.

The newspaper defines the high-demand ticket as the most expensive single-game adult ticket for a high-demand game.

The average high-demand Big 12 ticket is $84.17. The next highest is the Pac-10 at $61.90, followed by the SEC ($60.50), Big Ten ($60.09), ACC ($49.33) and Big East ($45.63), according to the newspaper.

The five most expensive games all are Big 12 contests, with the most expensive high-demand ticket being Oklahoma at Oklahoma State ($125).

Texas-Oklahoma is $110. Texas A&M at Texas and Nebraska at Oklahoma State are $100 apiece. Texas at Texas Tech is $98.

In the “low-demand ticket” category—the least expensive single-game ticket for an adult for a low-demand game—the results are as follows: Big Ten ($46.27), Big 12 ($41.83), SEC ($38), Big East ($35.25), ACC ($31.92) and Pac-10 ($27.60).

The least expensive low-demand ticket among BCS teams is Boston College (multiple games).

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2010-08-18/big-12-big-tickets-fetch-high-prices#ixzz0x44mxvRF

Sooner04
8/19/2010, 10:15 AM
I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad.

I guess those idiots up in Stillwater do skew the statistics a tad, but the prices really are too high across the board. Oh well.

badger
8/19/2010, 10:16 AM
Face value - of course, in order to get into the Poke-hosted game, you need to either (a) scalp, or (b) own season tickets, which cost a hell lotta cash more than $125.

Same goes for OU-Texas. Good luck getting tickets if you're not a season ticket holder to that one, and a huge donor on top of that.

A&M/Texas is probably a lot more pricey when Bill Byrne is trying to get Aggie fans to attend games (their claims of being loyal are highly exaggerated, as it turns out), but the Poke-Nebbish game is just a byproduct of Mike Holder trying to make the OSU athletic department profitable and cash in on recent success.

It is also called "screw your loyal fanbase." :stunned:

Boomer.....
8/19/2010, 10:18 AM
If you want to be a big league team, you have to charge big league prices.

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 10:20 AM
I believe in life you get what you pay for....

rawlingsHOH
8/19/2010, 10:24 AM
I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was THAT bad.

I guess those idiots up in Stillwater do skew the statistics a tad, but the prices really are too high across the board. Oh well.

yep, ridiculous

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 10:28 AM
I never really caught on to this until now. I knew OU tickets were more expensive than, say, Mississippi State tickets. Heck, you can go see any game in Starkville for about $45. But I never thought about how tickets across the conference as a whole were so much higher than other conferences.

Sooner04
8/19/2010, 10:28 AM
There is absolutely no reason for our prices to be that much higher than the SEC. None.

badger
8/19/2010, 10:31 AM
Holder's had to answer for this many times, and he points to the fact that the OSU athletic budget is incredibly low compared to Texas' and even other Big 12 programs... this is what happens when you're not self-sustaining :D

Anyway, if you all dare venture to Stilly this year, buy seasons tickets now and get the other games on Stubhub. Some people waited till the game and had to still buy seasons tickets. At least if you get them now, you'll get some of your money back and make some Poke fans that also hate OSU ticket prices very happy to get cheaper seats.

I think an ulterior motive for programs like A&M and OSU charging more for certain games is trying to get their own fans to fill the stands instead. Nebraska and OU fans might outnumber your own fanbase at your home stadium... if you let them.

SoonerPr8r
8/19/2010, 10:37 AM
There is absolutely no reason for our prices to be that much higher than the SEC. None.

I am wondering if it is because of economy of scale. Aren't there more 100k+ capacity stadiums in SEC land? The more people you can cram in there the less you have to charge perhaps. I understand the overhead costs of a larger stadium but these are fairly old stadiums. I would just like to see the stats on this.

badger
8/19/2010, 10:42 AM
I would just like to see the stats on this.

More info on college stadium capacity here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_football_stadiums_by_capacity)

of course, these numbers are a bit off, because we and most other stadiums can pack in more fans than capacity. And of course, there's programs like Baylor and Poke State that give their fans a little bit of extra leg room for a game or 12.

OUmillenium
8/19/2010, 11:20 AM
I am wondering if it is because of economy of scale. Aren't there more 100k+ capacity stadiums in SEC land? The more people you can cram in there the less you have to charge perhaps. I understand the overhead costs of a larger stadium but these are fairly old stadiums. I would just like to see the stats on this.

yes

goingoneight
8/19/2010, 12:11 PM
I believe in life you get what you pay for....

Unless you're paying championship-contender ticket prices for OSU football.

soonerborn30
8/19/2010, 12:44 PM

I don't know how much they're pumping into LSU's stadium. It's a dump, and it seats about 10K more than Owen if I remember right.

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 12:48 PM
I don't know how much they're pumping into LSU's stadium. It's a dump, and it seats about 10K more than Owen if I remember right.

Biggest dump in the SEC, at least of the ones I've seen. They recently made some upgrades there, but I think it was only in the area of the suites.

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 12:48 PM
Unless you're paying championship-contender ticket prices for OSU football.

Well obviously all teams that play in Orange have deluded fans, with more money than sense!

NormanPride
8/19/2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, but our hotdogs are cheaper.

oudavid1
8/19/2010, 01:04 PM
Same goes for OU-Texas. Good luck getting tickets if you're not a season ticket holder to that one, and a huge donor on top of that.

totally worth it though!

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 01:07 PM
They have Dreamland barbecue at Bryant-Denny. One of the good things in life.

Unfortunately, I don't think they have Little Dewey's at Davis Wade anymore.

badger
8/19/2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe it wasn't part of this study since it's not a home game for either team, but I heard that Arky-A&M tix at Jerryworld are through the roof price-wise... and maybe literally, too. Perhaps the only reasonable tickets are near the ceiling?

ouduckhunter
8/19/2010, 01:11 PM
We'd rather be at OU's games, but unfortuantely we have to settle for what's close! This year we bought season tickets to the Oregon State Beavers games for $150.00 smackers each!! Bargain basement prices for 6 homes games at $25.00 per game. They were so cheap that we couldn't pass up the deal.

This is the first year that they waived a donation on some of the nose bleed seats (where we will be sitting) in an attempt to get people in the seats. They had added on to their stadium a few years ago, they weren't selling it out, and they were catching a lot of flak over it. This year we'll see Louisville, USC, and Orygone in home games. They play Boise St at BS, and we would probably go to it except that is the same weekend as OU - Cincy.

It's not OU Football, but it's still fun, entertaining, and a cheap way to stay involved in college football!

soonerborn30
8/19/2010, 01:11 PM
On another board an Ag was saying they were $300 each. Don't know how true that is or where the seats are, though.

oudavid1
8/19/2010, 01:14 PM
It's not OU Football, but it's still fun, entertaining, and a cheap way to stay involved in college football!

even though its not Norman, i would do the same thing and be excited for it.............
http://oregonstate.edu/admissions/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/dm_081122_cfb_rodgers_redo-300x225.jpg

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 01:20 PM
I'm sure I've said this before on here, but any time it doesn't interfere with OU, I can drive an hour and catch a game at Miss. State or an hour and a half and catch one at Bammer.

The ones at MSU are a real bargain. The tailgating is always good, the people are friendly (they always give me some good natured ribbing about my OU shirt and hat), and tickets can be had for any game for no more than $30-$40 right outside the gate. I always laugh at the people who walk all the way up to the box office and pay the $45 face value.

The only drawback is those damn cowbells. (Though I do own a couple myself)

badger
8/19/2010, 02:11 PM
I'm sure I've said this before on here, but any time it doesn't interfere with OU, I can drive an hour and catch a game at Miss. State or an hour and a half and catch one at Bammer.

The ones at MSU are a real bargain. The tailgating is always good, the people are friendly (they always give me some good natured ribbing about my OU shirt and hat), and tickets can be had for any game for no more than $30-$40 right outside the gate. I always laugh at the people who walk all the way up to the box office and pay the $45 face value.

The only drawback is those damn cowbells. (Though I do own a couple myself)

The Dogs have a pretty sweet deal in the SEC similar to the Baylor deal in the Big 12 - dog the season, collect the bowl payout and conference revenue share! :rolleyes:

Seriously, the SEC has a reputation to maintain here! Why haven't they kicked them out yet?

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 02:19 PM
The Dogs have a pretty sweet deal in the SEC similar to the Baylor deal in the Big 12 - dog the season, collect the bowl payout and conference revenue share! :rolleyes:

Seriously, the SEC has a reputation to maintain here! Why haven't they kicked them out yet?

Eh, they had a couple of good years under Jackie Sherrell. Remember the Snow Bowl at Shreveport vs. A&M? Plus, I think it was earlier that same season when the Dogs upset Florida at home. We were there for that one, too. Spurrier actually drop kicked his visor. It was epic.

I dunno, they might have another decent year or two under Dan Mullen. To me, the SEC's version of Baylor would more likely be Vandy.

texaspokieokie
8/19/2010, 05:06 PM
we had seats "near the ceiling" for OU game @ jerry mahal last year.

whatever was on the field looked like ants. you couldn't even hear the band.

about 6 rows from the top.

steps are very steep in the top levels. very strenuous for old timers such as
myself. i can see heart attacks coming.
(not for me, i ain't going back)

badger
8/20/2010, 04:22 PM
another article on newsok here. (http://newsok.com/report-bedlam-football-ticket-the-nations-most-expensive/article/3487104?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Is it really that bad to have expensive tickets? Most games are sold out, so with more expensive tickets, the money goes directly to the university as opposed to ebay, stubhub or dudes standing outside on the lawn with fistfulls of tickets.

Mazeppa
8/20/2010, 11:35 PM
sec games are cheaper cause of all that speed, the games don't last as long.

setem
8/21/2010, 12:00 AM
Can you even get a single OU/OSU game ticket? I thought OSU went to the three game pack so anyone who was not a season ticket holder would have to buy three games and not just load up the bedlam game.

soonerborn30
8/21/2010, 12:18 AM
I thought you had to buy the whole season if you wanted the OU/OSU game in Stoolwater. God, Mike Holder is dumb.

yermom
8/21/2010, 12:26 AM
there is no reason OU/OSU should be more than OU/Texas

i got one for face in 2008 outside the stadium in Stoolwater

and you don't have to be a huge donor to get Texas tickets at the moment