PDA

View Full Version : Sam.England!!!

prrriiide
8/18/2010, 09:00 PM
Just curious...

What are some differences between BAFA play and what we're used to? More running? More passing? Better FG kickers (I would think so...)? Just wondering about how the two compare in terms of schemes and complexity.

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 06:04 AM
No Worries! I enjoy spreading abit about Football over here!

British American Football is split into 2 different seasons (1 is University Level played Sept to March and then you have the Senior League played March to October) Obviously Uni is predominately 18-22 year olds and then senior league is the main adult league! Both leagues are growing year on year.

Both use NCAA rules rather than NFL. I would say that most teams are more run orientated than pass orientated (esp at Uni level) due to its easier to teach someone to hold onto the ball and run than it is to pick up a ball and consistenatly throw accurate balls. However said that, more and more players are coming into the leagues and the QB's are getting better, so more are starting to throw the ball more! We do get some American "imports" into the league, which is improving the standard of players, and those around them.

The biggest difference is that both league are Amatuer in stature, so players generally only get to train 1-2 times a week, so obviously alot of the players are not in peak condition as a comparision (not all tho). Alot of our players are alot smaller, as we just dont grow OL size people over here like you guys do. It has to be said that the best teams in the Leagues, have the best Offensive Lines, as there is a huge gap in quality across the board in both leagues on the line, in both size and ability.

I think our good teams have been compared to around an average high school team in terms of ability, anything more than that and I think our teams would just get hurt as most guys dont get to play the sport here until they are 18 plus (myself included). The kicking and punting are definatley one thing I think we have an edge on. Especially after watching OU last year, I know personally I can punt the ball further than that (10 years of goalkeeper kicking) and many of the teams have dedicated kickers that can kick it in from a good distance out consistentially. Some of the punts i have seen have been crazy and would be NFL worthy!

Complexity... well most teams will run simialr schemes, but I think the last playbook I used had about 80 plays. It is simplified, especially in what it is called, we generally try and make it as easy as possible when calling plays. Im guessing this comes from the training time being little, and trying to learn a few hundred plays around a working and family life, may just lead to blown assignments! (We ran Spead, Ace, I, Trips and a Wingback formation last year).

But again, as more people are getting into the sport, the level and ability of coaches is improving. I mean alot of teams now are sending coaching to the USA to high school/colleges to follow the coaches there to improve (I know recently a coach from the best Uni team send a coach to the Seattle Seahawks for a week to get up close to the team and coaching techniques/drills). This is something I would like to do one year soon!

Biggest holding back factor for the sport growing even more are costs and facilities. You all know how much helmets and pads cost, add shipping, import tax and a profit and its expensive for teams to koit out players. We could only kit out about 26 players last year in team owned kit, luckily 15 others had bought there own so we had a squad of around 40 players for the year! We generally have to play on Rugby or soccer fields, and the ability to get officals are sporadic at best.

Anyways, here is a video of the Brit Bowl final 2009, for the National Championship to see for yourself some British Football! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5enyHCxvg)

If I missed anything or any more questions, feel free to ask!

MeMyself&Me
8/19/2010, 06:51 AM
I would judge anything based on the kicking at OU last year. That was the worst display of field goal kicking I've seen on the D1 level. That being said, I'd fully expect there to be an overabundance of good kickers in England on any given football squad.

I know someone (in-law) in England that plays American football. The one thing that jumped out at me was the commitment level being so different. Seemed more like the rugby clubs you find here at Universities where if you can make the game, great. If you can make practice, even better. But neither is required all the time if there's something semi important that needs your attention.

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 07:19 AM
Yep, I would agree with that! Maybe 50% of the team will be there to everything, all the time and 110% committed. The rest are then spread out between mostly there, to there as and when they can be.

BUT, this is the amatuer nature of the sport here. It is a hobby, that we pay a fair amount to play (probably adds up to a few thousand $$$ each year when you factor in buying kit, paying fees to play and transportation to and from training/games), and to try and fit it in around work and family commitments, which as you all know, is not easy to spare every Sunday to play a sport. Its not like we are getting an education paid for, or being paid to play, so it will be pretty much like any amatuer level sport you guys have over there, you make it as much as you can, but its a hobby! Again, alot of the guys are 100% committed but not everyone can be or wants to be!

SunnySooner
8/19/2010, 08:08 AM
So Sam, I'm assuming you became a Sooner fan because of Tom? Or did you follow US college football before that? Does his story get a fair amount of coverage across the pond? I know he came here when he was around 13, had never played American football before, but started a year or two later and was a natural athlete who had the ability to hit people into next week, and seemed to love doing it. His family living in Texas didn't hurt, they have a great high school football program down there, so I'm sure his abilities were coached up rather quickly, and a mere 5 years later, he's getting a scholly from OU, not too shabby!!

Hearing him talk is fun, he only still has an accent on a few words, he actually sounds more Okie than Brit these days, it's just an overall real mishmash of an accent, you would have a hard time telling where the heck he was from on first meeting.

Anyway, we're all looking forward to watching him this year, his injury last year was just part of the misery, but I remember some of his high school highlights were great, hope he has a great year, and welcome to Sooner Nation, hope you stay a fan after Tom is gone, it kinda gets in your blood--if you could ever make it over for a game, you'd never regret it, you would have a blast, and Sooner Fans would love that you're a British Sooner, you'd be the life of the tailgate!!

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 08:35 AM
So Sam, I'm assuming you became a Sooner fan because of Tom? Or did you follow US college football before that?

This may be a longish reply, but......I started playing the game in 2004 when I first got to university after having the madden games from 2001, but back then I knew only of NFL and not College. I went over to Florida in 2004 and whilst I was there, I was chilling in the Villa as you do watching sports and saw College Football on for like allll night. First game I tuned into was Oklahoma vs Texas. I was addicted as the game was a cracker. AD ran for over 200 yards and that was me sold on OU football! It was hard to watch live games back then, so interest does wain a little in the off seasons, but always kept up to date with results and how they were doing.

I really started to follow college football more from about 07 when I bought access to watch games and had some fellow people around me at my team who were fans, so the banter and all that made it more enjoyable. Fast forward to 2008/2009 when I first heard about Tom and when he commited to play for OU, got my interest levels back up after a few years more on NFL than College (due to the ease of watching games) and thats when I decided to fully try and fully get involved with OU, on the message boards and all that.

I now pretty much live Sooner Football as much as I possible can, with most the websites I visit being Sooner related.

Does his story get a fair amount of coverage across the pond?
Nope, not really. There are a couple of posts on the biggest Football forum we have (www.forum.nfluk.com) but apart from that his impact seems to be minimal. I have to admit there is only a hardcore few on there that seem to be interested in College, most are only really into the NFL (Mainly due to lack of TV coverage and the complex system of divisions and the whole BCS mess on who gets to play for the NC). Its steadily growing tho as we get more people into it due to ESPN showing more college, albiet it mainly SEC!

I know he came here when he was around 13, had never played American football before, but started a year or two later and was a natural athlete who had the ability to hit people into next week, and seemed to love doing it.
His dad actually played at the amatuer level over here in the 80's and Tom always wanted to play as a kid, but there wasnt, and still really is not the opportunities to play over here much below 16! But yes, he has that natural aggression levels and pure love for the sport that has just made him a natural linebacker. His brother, Charles Wort, is also a very promising linebacker who I think will be commiting to OU in 2012/13!

His family living in Texas didn't hurt, they have a great high school football program down there, so I'm sure his abilities were coached up rather quickly, and a mere 5 years later, he's getting a scholly from OU, not too shabby!!

He actually moved to Rhode Island and played there before moving to Texas for the last 2 years of high school, so much of the early work was not done in Texas, although im sure the time in Texas brought him along no end!

, he actually sounds more Okie than Brit these days, it's just an overall real mishmash of an accent, you would have a hard time telling where the heck he was from on first meeting.

Yeh I can hear the British accent, just about. He says that when he gets back with Brits tho when family visit, the British accent just naturally comes back!

welcome to Sooner Nation, hope you stay a fan after Tom is gone, it kinda gets in your blood--

Oh im here for good! Even though last season's pain, I enjoyed watching and following the Sooners. As you say it gets into the system and is hard to lose now. I will never be able to say I went to OU, or followed them for decades (well maybe in 30 years time), but Im here and wearing my Sooner jerseys out and about here as much as possible!

if you could ever make it over for a game, you'd never regret it, you would have a blast. Sooner Fans would love that you're a British Sooner, you'd be the life of the tailgate!!

Plans are in place for next season. I wanted to this season but $$$ didnt happen with getting a place with the gf. Im saving already for next year tho! So hopefully the schedule falls good next year so I can make 2 games. I have heard/seen so much about Tailgating its something I want to experience so badly. We dont have that here at all. I wont be flying the flag at all either ;)

Mississippi Sooner
8/19/2010, 08:38 AM
I think it's great that American football is (very slowly) catching on in Europe. I can understand, due to all the equipment needed, why it will never supplant soccer in worldwide popularity. The expense, versus a game where you really need nothing more than a ball, will always be prohibitive.

At the same time, I think it could only be a good thing if it were to eventually catch on in Russia and the other eastern European countries, too. Considering all the talent they supply us in hockey, I think they could also do well in other full contact sports.

Just my two cents.

KantoSooner
8/19/2010, 09:42 AM
I had thought Tom's father played rugby at a high level (amateur? pro? don't know); but my Aussie rugby-holic friends couldn't remember him. Was I dreaming?

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 09:58 AM
I think it's great that American football is (very slowly) catching on in Europe.

International coverage like the NFL Wembly game is helping with exposure, and more and more teams are able to get sponsorship. But yes, will never be like soccer in terms of participation, but then It wouldnt be so special to play and follow if everyone was doing it!

At the same time, I think it could only be a good thing if it were to eventually catch on in Russia and the other eastern European countries, too. Considering all the talent they supply us in hockey, I think they could also do well in other full contact sports.

Its big in Germany, Austria, France and Italy and growing in Scandanavian countries. I have no idea how popular it is more Eastern.... I know they play in Japan and also parts of Australia!

I had thought Tom's father played rugby at a high level (amateur? pro? don't know); but my Aussie rugby-holic friends couldn't remember him. Was I dreaming?

I have not heard of that, but might be the case. I will see what I can find out, but my rugby knowledge is minimal!

KantoSooner
8/19/2010, 10:27 AM
The story I remember, and it might very well be a hallucination, is that he played for England back in the 1970's or early 1980's. If so, it should be easy to check, but I've been unable to confirm.

delhalew
8/19/2010, 11:06 AM
I think it's great that some of you are catching the fever. What's not to love? It's like chess and track and field with violence!
You are fortunate to have discovered the college game. It offers an atmosphere that the pros can't match. Please make a game next year. It's been a very long time since I got to watch a game with a Brit.

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 11:14 AM
It offers an atmosphere that the pros can't match. Please make a game next year. It's been a very long time since I got to watch a game with a Brit.

Its definately happening, just have to wait til summer to book flights and all that when the Fixture list comes out! Will deffo be up for some major tailgaiting and meeting some people off the board for beers, some big steaks and just to get the whole OU experience going on! I'm very lucky to have an understanding gf who will probably come over but stay with some of her friends in Florida whilst I do the football thing. Win/Win!

I still watch the Pro game dont get me wrong, it just doesnt get me excited like the College game does. College Ball Its a million miles away from anything we have here, including pro soccer!

Chuck Bao
8/19/2010, 11:32 AM
My best friend in the early '90s was from Nottingham. I teased him about being one of Robin Hood's merry men. I guess you get that a lot.

This guy was a renowned chemist and developed perfumes and fragrances for the leading consumer products group in Thailand. Unfortunately, he was a raging alcoholic and his boyfriend, Bamboo, had his own nekkid girl bar on Soi Cowboy. He died because he couldn't stop with the booze.

Okay that bit of history is more South Oval than football related.

What position do you play?

soonerboomer93
8/19/2010, 11:40 AM
Its definately happening, just have to wait til summer to book flights and all that when the Fixture list comes out! Will deffo be up for some major tailgaiting and meeting some people off the board for beers, some big steaks and just to get the whole OU experience going on! I'm very lucky to have an understanding gf who will probably come over but stay with some of her friends in Florida whilst I do the football thing. Win/Win!

I still watch the Pro game dont get me wrong, it just doesnt get me excited like the College game does. College Ball Its a million miles away from anything we have here, including pro soccer!

Try to bring her to a game, she might enjoy it. There's a big difference between seeing it on tv, and seeing it with 80k of your closest friends.

To me, the pro game feels more corporate. Everywhere you go, you're reminded it's big business. You have the named stadium, the corporate lounge, the corporate tail gates, it just stops feeling like it's an event and feels like everything you see and do is manufactured. I'm sure it could be different depending on where you go. The last pro game I went to was a Seattle one, and as a born and raised Bronco fan well they're not exactly on the list. I'd be better at one of my teams game, but I doubt it would feel as fun as a college game to me. It might be the same way for you watching and going to soccer over there.

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 11:52 AM
My best friend in the early '90s was from Nottingham. I teased him about being one of Robin Hood's merry men. I guess you get that a lot.

To be honest, not at all :D ! I've only just moved to near Nottingham, but ye hI live pretty close to Sherwood Forest

What position do you play?
I have played most positions, but most recently TE and MLB. First season with this team was all MLB, and gradullay changed to mainly TE this last year, it takes it out of you playing both ways. I enjoy killing people but I aslo have good hands so TE has been fun the past few years! Its nice to get a bit of variety, not really sure for next season as of yet!

Try to bring her to a game, she might enjoy it. There's a big difference between seeing it on tv, and seeing it with 80k of your closest friends.
I may try, is Gymnastics season the same as football season, that may be a way to get her to come over. To be honest she has stood on the sidelines watching me in crazy conditions, so who knows!

I'd be better at one of my teams game, but I doubt it would feel as fun as a college game to me. It might be the same way for you watching and going to soccer over there.

The problem I find now with soccer is that you get to the game, you watch it, you go home! Now after seeing pictures and hearing stories of tailgaiting that last the day/weekend before a football game, it just takes away what I want from a game. I want to have all of that, rather than just watch a game! And yeh, i tend to watch lower level football as the EPL is just being ruined by greed, money and corporations!

AlbqSooner
8/19/2010, 07:52 PM
Sam, glad you are here. I have been a Sooner fan since 1954, when they were in the midst of a 47 game winning streak. At that time freshmen were not eligible, so players only had 3 years of varsity college football. Players who were sophomores in '54 at OU never lost a game. Three years and never lost a game!

If your schedule can be worked so that you can be here for OU/texazz, (first week or two of October) you will NEVER forget the experience. NEVER!

Good luck to you and BOOMER SOONER!

prrriiide
8/19/2010, 08:28 PM
Great responses!! It's always awesome to see a Sooner fan that became a fan just on the merits of the program!

I don't know if you already have them, but if you shoot me a PM with your e-mail I'll be happy to send you mp3s of the OU fight songs (along with the words, of course). This'll just whet your appetite a bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEcuVY6N2ew

Its definately happening, just have to wait til summer to book flights and all that when the Fixture list comes out! Will deffo be up for some major tailgaiting and meeting some people off the board for beers, some big steaks and just to get the whole OU experience going on!

Keep an eye on Oct. 1st. If that's a home game (pretty sure it will be, out of conference home game), you could go to that one and then the next weekend go to Dallas for OU/texass. THAT'S an experience you should really have! I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be more than happy to have you along for the wekend. Alas, with my current residency in Tennessee I rarely get to see OU games in person anymore. http://www.theinnerwebs.com/images/smilies/012.gif

To be honest, not at all :D ! I've only just moved to near Nottingham, but ye hI live pretty close to Sherwood Forest

I just google map'd Nottingham. That looks like a place I'd like to visit sometime! Didn't see any forest, tho. Did it get cut down for firewood? ;) DID see Sherwood Rise. Is that because of Mrs. Sherwood?

I may try, is Gymnastics season the same as football season, that may be a way to get her to come over.

Not sure if you know it or not, but if she's a gymnastics fan, Norman is a really great place to come! She can visit The Bart Conner Gymnastics Academy, which is - unsurprisingly - owend by Olympic gold-medalist Bart Conner and his wife, Olympic gold-medalist Nadia Comaneci. http://www.bartconnergymnastics.com/

Sam.England
8/20/2010, 02:55 AM
Sam, glad you are here. I have been a Sooner fan since 1954, when they were in the midst of a 47 game winning streak.

Thanks for the welcome. Sounds like some great times, Im pretty sure these group of players we have now can go on and do something special aswell, they certainly have the talent and the desire to go and do so!

If your schedule can be worked so that you can be here for OU/texazz, (first week or two of October) you will NEVER forget the experience. NEVER!

Keep an eye on Oct. 1st. If that's a home game (pretty sure it will be, out of conference home game), you could go to that one and then the next weekend go to Dallas for OU/texass. THAT'S an experience you should really have! I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be more than happy to have you along for the wekend.

Oh i would love to get to the RRR game one year, although I have a feeling from reading about, it would be too much $$$, maybe one year tho! Would love the first game I see to be at Norman, but if it has to be away from there, thats the only one it would be for!

And I have no doubts that I would have a great time and meet lots of great people before and after the game, I wouldnt want it any other way! I have heard the hospitality around these parts is second to none!

I just google map'd Nottingham. That looks like a place I'd like to visit sometime! Didn't see any forest, tho.

Yeh there is not so much forest about now, and i live about 10-15 miles north-ish outside of the city, which is great and where there is whats left of the forest! Still a great walk and all that!

Not sure if you know it or not, but if she's a gymnastics fan, Norman is a really great place to come! She can visit The Bart Conner Gymnastics Academy, which is - unsurprisingly - owend by Olympic gold-medalist Bart Conner and his wife, Olympic gold-medalist Nadia Comaneci.

Yeh she is a huge gymnastics fan! She is currently British Disabled National Champion, so its in her blood and what my love for Football is, her's is gymnastics. But it always means i can buy more jerseys and stuff as she keeps buying leotards :D She did know about the place aswell, might beable to pursuade her to come along now :D

Soonerfan88
8/20/2010, 02:55 PM
Sam, if you can get over here for OU/TX you can use 1 of my tickets.

Actual NCAA gymnastics season is in the winter/spring -- more in line with basketball. But as mentioned above, I'm sure she would enjoy the Conner gym and probably could even get a tour/meeting with OU's teams. Men's gymnastics has 8 national titles and the Women came in 2nd last year, their highest finish ever.

Sam.England
8/20/2010, 04:01 PM
Sam, if you can get over here for OU/TX you can use 1 of my tickets.

Actual NCAA gymnastics season is in the winter/spring -- more in line with basketball. But as mentioned above, I'm sure she would enjoy the Conner gym and probably could even get a tour/meeting with OU's teams. Men's gymnastics has 8 national titles and the Women came in 2nd last year, their highest finish ever.

Wow, that is indeed an extremly kind gesture, I would not like someone else to miss out tho on my behalfl! But thats an amazing guesture, I will have to see how the trip plans out. Thank You.

And shame the Gymnastics doesnt run the same, but yeh there are always plenty of options. I know she watched some gymnastics last year as some universities stream it free. I know the facilities would blow whatever we have out of the water here!

stoopified
8/21/2010, 02:08 PM
Wow,I didn't know American football was played at all in the UK.Learn something new every day.

Sam.England
8/22/2010, 08:44 AM
Wow,I didn't know American football was played at all in the UK.Learn something new every day.

Yup, its been played over here since the mid 80's, and growing bigger more recently! Its good fun to play and watch thats for sure!

BosworthXXXL
8/22/2010, 09:25 AM
Yup, its been played over here since the mid 80's, and growing bigger more recently! Its good fun to play and watch thats for sure!

SAM IS THE MAN!

Jason White's Third Knee
8/22/2010, 12:28 PM
This is an interesting thread. Yeah, go to the RRS. It's awesome and worth it. Tickets aren't that difficult to get and aren't atrociously priced. The setting is like no other. Just going to the Texas State Fair is an experience. Add a mess of Sooner and longhorn fans, beer, fried oreos and you have a memory! We should win this year too!

Sam.England
8/25/2010, 10:30 AM
SAM IS THE MAN!

Ill take some of that love... unless you was talking about a Mr. Bradford off course :D

And yup, if the schedule falls right, will deffo try and get to the RRS and a Home game! Cant think of anything better than that!

MeMyself&Me
8/25/2010, 11:18 AM
If I had to choose one, I'd take the home game. rrs is a unique and great experience but i think to truely appreciate it the way the rest of us do, you might need to have a point of referance.

And a home game in Norman is something that shouldn't be missed either.