PDA

View Full Version : If Boise State . . .

Jacie
8/17/2010, 07:40 PM
. . . plays for the BCS title and either wins it outright or makes it a close game, does that in any way diminish the win over OU?

By diminish I don't mean that the win is less important but that it ceases to be the greatest upset in bowl history as it continues to be labeled.

They are ranked #5 in the USA Today poll and it is not improbable, should the wins and losses fall into place, that BSU could be one of the Top 2 ranked teams at the end of the regular season.

So doesn't that mean the biggest win in their school history was less an upset than they and every other non-Sooner make it out and more like a preview of the team they are now?

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 07:47 PM
Not if we meet them there and throw down.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2010, 07:55 PM
Trick question - it never was a real upset as has been discussed here ad nauseum. It was just a little school/big school "brand upset" - they were ranked higher, but that seems lost in the noise. It was what it was - a stepping stone for them and their recruiting picked up since then. Maybe causal or maybe coincidence - who knows. I think that Peterson is a better coach than Hawkins was and that was his first season. Similar to how Fairbanks took OU to the brink of a MNC and when Switzer took over, OU got better and got that title (and a couple more for good measure).

BTW, I'll admit it really was an upset as we did have a better team, but not by that much. But it didn't hurt us as we got better in '07 and even better in '08.

JLEW1818
8/17/2010, 07:56 PM
Boise State is a top 15 program of the last decade.

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 08:14 PM
Here are the 12 Division I-A teams on the Boise State schedule for 2009. The Broncos have a 13th game against UC-Davis, a Division I-AA team. The teams are listed in order of ranking from a poll on CBSSports.com which ranks all the Division I-A teams 1-120.

Oregon—21

Tulsa—67

Fresno State—69

La. Tech–76

Hawaii—79

Bowling Green—80

Idaho—83

Nevada—89

New Mexico State—103

San Jose State—107

Utah State—114

Miami (Ohio)—118

Source: http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2009/09/29/why-boise-state-cant-play-for-the-bcs-championship/

Boise State is a top 15 program of the last decade.

I humbly disagree with you Jlew, this was supposed to be there hardest schedule in years. There not elite to me at all.

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 08:15 PM
Oh and they beat Tulsa 28-21, we beat them 45-0.

SOURCE: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/68/year/2009/boise-state-broncos

JLEW1818
8/17/2010, 08:22 PM
never said they were a better program than us, of the last decade. just between the 11-15 range.

can u name me 15 better than Boise?

I'm sure i could at least argue 15 better.

Boomer38Sooner
8/17/2010, 08:24 PM
Oh and they beat Tulsa 28-21, we beat them 45-0.

SOURCE: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/68/year/2009/boise-state-broncos

Texas A&M killed Tech
We killed Texas A&M
Texas Tech killed us

That is not a valid argument.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2010, 08:45 PM
Here are the 12 Division I-A teams on the Boise State schedule for 2009. The Broncos have a 13th game against UC-Davis, a Division I-AA team. The teams are listed in order of ranking from a poll on CBSSports.com which ranks all the Division I-A teams 1-120.

Oregon—21

Tulsa—67

Fresno State—69

La. Tech–76

Hawaii—79

Bowling Green—80

Idaho—83

Nevada—89

New Mexico State—103

San Jose State—107

Utah State—114

Miami (Ohio)—118

Source: http://blogs.ajc.com/barnhart-college-football/2009/09/29/why-boise-state-cant-play-for-the-bcs-championship/

I humbly disagree with you Jlew, this was supposed to be there hardest schedule in years. There not elite to me at all.

A weak schedule doesn't mean their not good. Just means they have a weak schedule. The SOS has kept them out of BCS bowls when they are undefeated as it should - but it doesn't mean they were not better than the teams that did get in. And one game doesn't mean much (the Tulsa game); 'Bama almost lost to a poor Vols team and the Gators needed some ref help to beat a mediocre hogs team. Boise is well coached and they play good ball and they have even put a couple of 1st rounders into the NFL the last few years.

Salt City Sooner
8/17/2010, 08:46 PM

Oregon—21

Tulsa—67

Fresno State—69

La. Tech–76

Hawaii—79

Bowling Green—80

Idaho—83

Nevada—89

New Mexico State—103

San Jose State—107

Utah State—114

Miami (Ohio)—118

Uh, that link is from last September. I guess I'm missing the relevance....

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 09:04 PM
I was basically stating that the difficulty of there schedule is the reason they are not elite. Which means i dont think they are one of the best teams of the last decade. It is an opinion that i have. I dont believe they are looking to truly test there talents.

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 09:13 PM
never said they were a better program than us, of the last decade. just between the 11-15 range.

can u name me 15 better than Boise?

I'm sure i could at least argue 15 better.

Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Oregon, Florida, Florida State, Penn State, Oklahoma, Utah, USC, LSU, Nebraska, Miami, Auburn, and Virginia Tech.

JLEW1818
8/17/2010, 09:15 PM
Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, Oregon, Florida, Florida State, Penn State, Oklahoma, Utah, USC, LSU, Nebraska, Miami, Auburn, and Virginia Tech.

Penn State, Oregon, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Florida State

all very debatable Vs Boise State

lets hear your case!

Oregon had a good decade, but so has Boise, and Boise beat them the last 2 seasons. Can't award Boise over Oregon just for that.. but it jumps out at me.

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 09:19 PM
Penn State, Oregon, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Florida State

all very debatable Vs Boise State

lets hear your case!

Oregon had a good decade, but so has Boise, and Boise beat them the last 2 seasons. Can't award Boise over Oregon just for that.. but it jumps out at me.

All the teams i listed had (in my opinion) had tougher opponents and played overall better football considering they were in tougher games. Oregon did lose to Boise, head to head, but decade wise they beat more higher ranked teams than Boise.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2010, 09:36 PM
Nebraska, Miami, FSU and Auburn have had some very weak years in the last decade. However, all of them have fielded at least 1 elite team in that span. I don't really know how good BSU was starting the decade as they were not on TV often. But they have certainly been top 15 the last 5, regardless of competition. This year will be interesting for them.

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 10:08 PM
Nebraska, Miami, FSU and Auburn have had some very weak years in the last decade. However, all of them have fielded at least 1 elite team in that span. I don't really know how good BSU was starting the decade as they were not on TV often. But they have certainly been top 15 the last 5, regardless of competition. This year will be interesting for them.

I still believe all those teams were better this last decade.

soonerinabilene
8/17/2010, 10:14 PM
they get crap for their schedule, but no one is willing to play a home and home with them. they have tried to get deals with florida, usc, miami, notre dame, and others. all have said no. cant blame them for that. and they beat a very good tcu team last year. they should have got a shot at florida in the sugar., which i think they would have won. to not call them a top team of the last decade is pretty assinine.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2010, 10:22 PM
they get crap for their schedule, but no one is willing to play a home and home with them. they have tried to get deals with florida, usc, miami, notre dame, and others. all have said no. cant blame them for that. and they beat a very good tcu team last year. they should have got a shot at florida in the sugar., which i think they would have won. to not call them a top team of the last decade is pretty assinine.

I can't say I think they would have beaten the gators in the sugar, but it sure as heck would have been a better game! The BSU/TCU matchup was a good one, but it was such a cop-out to put the 2 non-BCS schools in the same bowl.

oudavid1
8/17/2010, 10:58 PM
I can't say I think they would have beaten the gators in the sugar, but it sure as heck would have been a better game! The BSU/TCU matchup was a good one, but it was such a cop-out to put the 2 non-BCS schools in the same bowl.

Agreed

Salt City Sooner
8/17/2010, 11:33 PM
I was basically stating that the difficulty of there schedule is the reason they are not elite. Which means i dont think they are one of the best teams of the last decade. It is an opinion that i have. I dont believe they are looking to truly test there talents.
Have to part ways w/ you a bit on that one. Aside from an obvious creampuff in New Mexico St., their OOC's are Va. Tech in a defacto home field for the Hokies, Oregon St., who is perennially solid, & Wyoming (can't believe I'm including them in this, but Christensen's doing one heck of a job to this point), who won 7 (including beating Fresno. St. in their bowl game). That's a solid slate to me. They're also moving to the Mountain West Conference, & they announced that they were doing so before Utah announced their defection to the Pac-10, so it's not like they were dodging the Utes. The MWC has been a very respectable conference lately with Utah (twice) & TCU both getting BCS bids, & BYU & Air Force being solid year in & year out.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/17/2010, 11:47 PM
Can I help you numbnuts with your almost aggie-like (note: I said 'almost') obsession with BSU?

In 1940, the just-comin'-round OU Sooners took on Santa Clara University. And lost. Oh we had our revenge in 1941, but the country did indeed shortly develop a new focus.

Fast forward to a World War victory and those scores and scores of veterans coming home and happy to finish their educations on the schools' dime just because they were pretty good at football. Enter Tatum and Wilkinson.

So in 'bout 1948 we had this 'lil get together with an old friend:

"Hey, Santa Clara, remember when... you know.. before the war? Let's have a game!"

"Sure, sounds good!"

Now surely in that arrangement, with Bud in charge, all is set right with the world... right?

No. Another Santa Clara victory.... But then again in 1949 OU won the return game. And while that was a very narrow loss, Santa Clara was almost never heard from again in football. Why? Who knows? Maybe as simple as lacking the resources of a major public land grant university.

My long-winded point? Every dog has his day... or even decade. (Say, didn't you used to be Bill Snyder and Kansas State?)

But when the rubber meets the road, a state, institution, or community will decide they are the standard bearer, and all else must follow.

That is to say... BSU wants to be us. And they know, to be the best, they have to beat the best. And on any given Saturday... they will... for a spell.

Check back with BSU in 5 or 10 years.

oudavid1
8/18/2010, 12:21 AM
ok deal.

Crucifax Autumn
8/18/2010, 12:22 AM
Obsession? No.

Overrated, weak schedule dooshbags? Yes.

BoulderSooner79
8/18/2010, 12:31 AM
I have no obsession with BSU - I just like college football in general and they represent part of the story. They have done things the right way as far as I can tell. They dominant their admittedly weak conference and try to play up when they can. They are well coached and show up for their bowl games and voluntarily will move to a better conference. But part of it is luck in that they have had back to back good coaches for what they needed at the time. You can bet other schools will be trying to hire Peterson and if they can't keep him, they could disappear if they don't luck out with the next guy.

oudavid1
8/18/2010, 12:32 AM
Obsession? No.

Overrated, weak schedule dooshbags? Yes.

What he said kinda.

GKeeper316
8/18/2010, 12:36 AM
dave, you went to college, right?

oudavid1
8/18/2010, 12:37 AM
dave, you went to college, right?

Im 18, my [MFY] "freshman" year starts Monday. UCO

Salt City Sooner
8/18/2010, 12:42 AM
I have no obsession with BSU - I just like college football in general and they represent part of the story. They have done things the right way as far as I can tell. They dominant their admittedly weak conference and try to play up when they can. They are well coached and show up for their bowl games and voluntarily will move to a better conference. But part of it is luck in that they have had back to back good coaches for what they needed at the time. You can bet other schools will be trying to hire Peterson and if they can't keep him, they could disappear if they don't luck out with the next guy.
You're probably right, but that's a major case of buyer beware to me. The only former BSU coach to have anything resembling consistent success recently is Nutt, & it's not like the word elite is going to go in front of his name any time soon (although I would say he's above average).

GKeeper316
8/18/2010, 12:45 AM
Im 18, my [MFY] "freshman" year starts Monday. UCO

nice... good luck in school!

allow me to pass on the single most important rule to college success... GO TO CLASS! if you just show up to class every day, you will get a C or better in everything, even the classes you hate.

that said, please learn the difference between there, they're and their.

thx and be cool, yo

oudavid1
8/18/2010, 12:46 AM
nice... good luck in school!

allow me to pass on the single most important rule to college success... GO TO CLASS! if you just show up to class every day, you will get a C or better in everything, even the classes you hate.

that said, please learn the difference between there, they're and their.

thx and be cool, yo

lol thanks, and im usually fairly lazy when it comes to grammar. But dont have to worry about me, i accomplished over half of my freshman year during my senior year of high school.

soonerboy
8/18/2010, 09:02 PM
Im just saying that ya BSU is a good team no doubt about that. But do you think that their season's would be the same if they played the same schedule as teams in the Big 12 (10) or SEC hell even the Pac 10 (12). Seems to me that the schools in the bigger conferences seem to get beat up more and that BSU would have a particularly tough time holding up as much as they have, bringing up that fact a key to their success has been almost no key injuries in the past couple years.