olevetonahill
8/16/2010, 09:46 PM
Not gonna switch over to see . But ive said before I wish him well

Sirus
8/16/2010, 09:53 PM
He can still sling a laser or two.

Sirus
8/16/2010, 09:58 PM
for those interested, he just threw a TD.

birddog
8/16/2010, 09:59 PM
i'm pulling for him. kids are morans.

olevetonahill
8/16/2010, 10:02 PM
What Channel

Eielson
8/16/2010, 10:04 PM
I don't wish badly for Bomar at all. I hope he does well, and I'd be happy to see him develop into a good quarterback. I'll cheer much harder for Bradford, though.

jkjsooner
8/16/2010, 10:07 PM
He looked good. He showed a lot of speed on the scramble right before the TD.

goingoneight
8/16/2010, 10:08 PM
I'd be happy to see the guy phail in New York. He's already got a lot of money, why should I want the freaking midjants to win anything?

sooneron
8/16/2010, 10:25 PM
heh.

He did play pretty well. Hard to believe that he can't unseat friggin Sorgi.

GKeeper316
8/16/2010, 11:22 PM
rhett bomar ****ed paul thompson's career.

unbiasedtruth
8/16/2010, 11:48 PM
i'm pulling for him. kids are morans.

in most cases yes, but in Bomar's case he had been instructed by the school about rights and wrongs.... what he did, he knew it was wrong, and then tried to deny he did anything wrong, his pure arrogance, when confronted with the truth....

Sooner04
8/16/2010, 11:54 PM
If Bomar hadn't been an idiot he would've wrecked Bradford's too.

prrriiide
8/16/2010, 11:56 PM
in most cases yes, but in Bomar's case he had been instructed by the school about rights and wrongs.... what he did, he knew it was wrong, and then tried to deny he did anything wrong, his pure arrogance, when confronted with the truth....

Yup. And he got pink-slipped from the same program that produced Sam Bradford and has Landry Jones under construction. How much did Sammy get guaranteed, again? $50 Mil? Bomar is getting $320K for the season and is a FA next season. His chances of EVER pulling down $1mil in a season are somewhere between slim and none. Bomar knows he had that big paycheck the palm of his hand and pissed it away for a little extra beer money. You think he doesn't regret it every day?

I feel the same way about him as I do any other NFL back-up: meh.

Crucifax Autumn
8/17/2010, 12:13 AM
I don't wish any bad on the guy...I just don't wish him any good either.

rainiersooner
8/17/2010, 01:02 AM
Yup. And he got pink-slipped from the same program that produced Sam Bradford and has Landry Jones under construction. How much did Sammy get guaranteed, again? $50 Mil? Bomar is getting $320K for the season and is a FA next season. His chances of EVER pulling down $1mil in a season are somewhere between slim and none. Bomar knows he had that big paycheck the palm of his hand and pissed it away for a little extra beer money. You think he doesn't regret it every day?

I feel the same way about him as I do any other NFL back-up: meh.

It would suck to get paid $320k a year.

Shakadoodoo
8/17/2010, 10:37 AM

Good point - I wish Paul would have had that extra year though!!!

Jacie
8/17/2010, 10:41 AM
He may be making the league minimum now but the NFL has a tendency to use up QB's over the course of a 16-game season. In case you didn't pay attention last night, the Giant's star QB, Eli Manning, had to come out after getting a pretty nasty gash to the head that required stitches, and this was just the first preseason game. If RB proves he can move an offense against professional grade defenses, he can make a career as a third-string reserve and be paid well for his services because in any game a starter can go down.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 11:04 AM
Its easy to play well when your going up against guys who are gonna be selling insurance and cars in a few weeks

XingTheRubicon
8/17/2010, 12:18 PM
I don't believe Bomar had the 1st team o line and WR's on his side so there's that...and from what I've seen recently, the 3rd string QB's look like dog**** usually. Bomar looked like he belonged on the field... simple as that.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 12:22 PM
Well the Giants typically only keep 2 quarterbacks on the roster, so they really don't have a 3rd team QB... he either beats out Sorgi or its back to the practice squad or being cut..Coughlin likes to keep a lot of D and O lineman on the roster...

XingTheRubicon
8/17/2010, 12:44 PM
that has nothing to do with fact that he's still the 3rd team QB, behind Manning and Sorgi, whether he gets cut or not. He still looked good compared to other team's pre season 3rd QB to enter any given game. The Giants may suit up 3 QB's this year or someone else may pick him up if continues to play well.

I know he screwed OU over. I just don't think one needs completely blind and biased because of it. Kind of like saying Toby Gerhart wasn't that impressive in the Sun Bowl.

pilobolus
8/17/2010, 12:45 PM
It takes me at least five years to make $320K!

PalmBeachSooner
8/17/2010, 12:50 PM

Rb would have been carrying Bradford's jockstrap if he had stayed around. I think if he hadn't been dismissed from the team he would have transferred.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 12:52 PM
that has nothing to do with fact that he's still the 3rd team QB, behind Manning and Sorgi, whether he gets cut or not. He still looked good compared to other team's pre season 3rd QB to enter any given game. The Giants may suit up 3 QB's this year or someone else may pick him up if continues to play well.

I know he screwed OU over. I just don't think one needs completely blind and biased because of it. Kind of like saying Toby Gerhart wasn't that impressive in the Sun Bowl.

If your assuming I don't think he is going to make the squad because of what he did at OU, you are wrong..but probably you meant that in a general sense on the board

Somebody else may pick him up...BTW, he's played one pre season game..bit early for comparisons to anybody..He's been in the Giants organization now for 1 year now..many 3rd team guys are rookies that you have seen..they don't know the offense like he knows the giants..

I don't really care about anything he has done in analyzing the guy..The only way the Giants keep 3 qb's on the roster is if they are afraid of losing him..which they aren't...if they were confident in him, they wouldnt have made the move they did for Sorgi to be the backup..

OK2U
8/17/2010, 12:58 PM
Stoops did give ENA a choice, he could have remained a receiver and tried to improve his NFL stock, if that's what you mean.

XingTheRubicon
8/17/2010, 01:05 PM
If your assuming I don't think he is going to make the squad because of what he did at OU, you are wrong..but probably you meant that in a general sense on the board

Somebody else may pick him up...BTW, he's played one pre season game..bit early for comparisons to anybody..He's been in the Giants organization now for 1 year now..many 3rd team guys are rookies that you have seen..they don't know the offense like he knows the giants..

I don't really care about anything he has done in analyzing the guy..The only way the Giants keep 3 qb's on the roster is if they are afraid of losing him..which they aren't...if they were confident in him, they wouldnt have made the move they did for Sorgi to be the backup..

fair enough,

I know you follow this stuff closely, do think Bomar played well? I know most 3rd team QB's are rooks but that who he's competing against isn't it...I mean if he wants to get picked up by another team.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 01:20 PM
I really thought Bomar was the guy for the backup roll when David Carr left...And i wouldn't rule out Bomar making this team 100%...but its not a good chance. Kevin Gilbride, the OC, seems to lean towards Sorgi...Tom Coughlin says they are still battling for the 2nd spot...

Chase Daniel was on an active roster last year. And Daniel is nowhere near the QB Bomar is ...There are some teams that keep 3 qb's and he could definitely make it somewhere else..

I thought Bomar did well when he was in there..As good as you can do..He did get a good amount of opportunity to showcase himself..And if next week it goes Manning, Bomar, and then Sorgi, that means there is a real battle..If not, then not really.

I really don't think he goes back to the practice squad...Bomar has stated he doesn't want to, he wants to be on a roster somewhere.. I think somewhere like Buffalo, Tampa Bay, or Kansas City would be great places for him to get on..

Mad Dog Madsen
8/17/2010, 01:32 PM
It takes me at least five years to make $320K!

It takes you that long?!? :rolleyes:

Sooner04
8/17/2010, 03:13 PM
Rb would have been carrying Bradford's jockstrap if he had stayed around. I think if he hadn't been dismissed from the team he would have transferred.
We've missed out on the chance to play two different future Heisman winners at the first opportunity under Stoops. Hybl instead of White in 2001 and Thompson instead of Bradford instead of 2006.

You think Stoops benches Bomar in favor of Bradford? Ever? Not with Jerry snooping around every practice. :)

stoopified
8/17/2010, 03:57 PM
That jerk can rot in Texas for all I care.screw us over with the NCAA and skate?Just ain't right.Yeah,I hold a grudge.

birddog
8/18/2010, 06:59 AM

my point is, people willingly make mistakes all the time.

at the time, mad as hell. now, there's waaay more important things to worry about.

kids is morans.

boomermagic
8/18/2010, 08:56 AM
We've missed out on the chance to play two different future Heisman winners at the first opportunity under Stoops. Hybl instead of White in 2001 and Thompson instead of Bradford instead of 2006.

You think Stoops benches Bomar in favor of Bradford? Ever? Not with Jerry snooping around every practice. :)

Thompson was a really good leader and a pretty good qb but he never had the talent Bradford has or Bomar for that matter.. I admire Paul for being a team player and doing what was best for the team and Bomar was a spoiled kid who hadn't grown up at the time or I think he would have showed us all a lot more.. Hybl was very solid and a tough Ssn of a gun... White was the real deal but Sam sorta came in under the radar.. I don't think Stoops or anyone knew how good Sam was or could be at the time but he turned out to be the best of the lot.. As far as talent goes I'd say Sam, Jason, Rhett, Nate and Paul in that order just my opinion..

badger
8/18/2010, 10:20 AM

I wonder if this a coaching method from their coaching tree. I mean, from every report we've seen, it sounds like Leach should have dumped Adam James long before James got him dumped. Was it because of daddy all along that Adam was still on the team? Was Bomar the starter because daddy demanded it (or perhaps threatened to transfer his son to Texas or some sh!t?)

I really wish I could take the high road on this one, but I really don't care much about Bomar anymore, much like he doesn't seem to care about OU anymore. Make a team, don't make a team, don't care. Sorry.

texaspokieokie
8/18/2010, 10:29 AM
me too, badge.

OUmillenium
8/18/2010, 12:01 PM

You beat me to it. Stoops likes to say the best player will play but he goes with the best athlete and/or seniority.

I would throw out some names of guys who should have never seen the field but will not do that out of Sooner respect.

milesl
8/18/2010, 12:15 PM
Interesting all you guys were genuises at that age. I look back when I was 18-20 and think I was slightly smarter than your average idiot. I hope the kid makes it.

Sooner in Tampa
8/18/2010, 12:17 PM
I really don't think he goes back to the practice squad...Bomar has stated he doesn't want to, he wants to be on a roster somewhere.. I think somewhere like Buffalo, Tampa Bay, or Kansas City would be great places for him to get on..
Tampa Bay would be alright...I guess. I mean, Freeman is the clear starter, Josh Johnson #2, and Rudy Carpenter from Arizona State is #3.

I haven't watched Bomar at all since he as been with the Giants, but IF the Bucs claimed him off of waivers and he played well, it wouldn't take much for him to work his way to the #2 spot. Johnson has been here for 3 yrs now, and he just doesn't seem to be progressing...and Carpenter SUCKS.

Some of the scuttlebutt is that Tampa is looking for a veteran to come in and do the ole man teaching how to handle the ins and outs gig.

badger
8/18/2010, 02:00 PM
You beat me to it. Stoops likes to say the best player will play but he goes with the best athlete and/or seniority.

I would throw out some names of guys who should have never seen the field but will not do that out of Sooner respect.

Experience and practice snap definitely matter too... even Kejuan Jones was the starter ahead of Adrian Peterson at one point... which didn't last that long. Sorry Kejuan.

And yes, I am guilty of not caring about a fellow human being when it come to Rhett. I don't want him to get injured, cut, or bloodied like Eli got on Monday, but I simply do. not. care.

Bad badger! (smacks self)

SouthFortySooner
8/18/2010, 02:13 PM
Experience and practice snap definitely matter too... even Kejuan Jones was the starter ahead of Adrian Peterson at one point... which didn't last that long. Sorry Kejuan.

And yes, I am guilty of not caring about a fellow human being when it come to Rhett. I don't want him to get injured, cut, or bloodied like Eli got on Monday, but I simply do. not. care.

Bad badger! (smacks self)

Kejuan ahead of Peterson didn't bother me near as much as Kejuan ahead of Choice.

Mississippi Sooner
8/18/2010, 02:20 PM
Kejuan ahead of Peterson didn't bother me near as much as Kejuan ahead of Choice.

Whoa. It's easy to forget that Tashard Choice was once a Sooner.

badger
8/18/2010, 02:21 PM

I was quite :( to see Tashard go, but I understand that he had family issues... but also suspected that he wasn't getting enough snaps to match his talent. Ah well, sometimes Sooner Nation just isn't meant to be for some players

SouthFortySooner
8/18/2010, 02:28 PM
I've always felt Bomar would have, 'developed'. But, I will always relate his name to a 'kicked in the gut' feeling.

goingoneight
8/18/2010, 02:47 PM
I don't know that Bomar would have developed into what Sam or Landry did, though. He was too hard-headed to coaching the one and a half years he was in the spotlight. You know when a guy is commended as "coachable," the coaches like what they have in them. All I ever remember hearing any coach ever say about Bomar was something like "we'll see" or "he's gotta do some work on..." this or that. There was a lot of Stoops shaking his head at Bomar in 2005. If he developed, I think he would have best been described as one of those "late bloomer" types who had a few extremely humbling experiences before doing so. Remember, the 2006 team said it wasn't PT's talent that got them to the BIG 12 CCG, it was PT operating within the system (buying into coaching) and leading his team with fire and class at the same time. A guy sneaking beer into a soda can at the Ford Center doesn't exactly scream "maturity" to me.

badger
8/18/2010, 02:52 PM
It really is disappointing that Rhett didn't listen to Josh, because it seems like every QB Josh has had the opportunity to coach suddenly does everything that they should. For example, after handing off the ball or passing it, have their hand up to their chest like they still have the ball.... choosing good times to scramble and good times to throw the ball away. Not forcing passes into triple coverage... the list goes on.

So, anyways, I know I'm really writing a lot about a player I've said I don't care about, but let's just say at one time I really, really did care about him... till it was apparent that he didn't care about OU. :(

King Barry's Back
8/18/2010, 07:08 PM
He may be making the league minimum now but the NFL has a tendency to use up QB's over the course of a 16-game season. In case you didn't pay attention last night, the Giant's star QB, Eli Manning, had to come out after getting a pretty nasty gash to the head that required stitches, and this was just the first preseason game. If RB proves he can move an offense against professional grade defenses, he can make a career as a third-string reserve and be paid well for his services because in any game a starter can go down.

A third string NFL QB is still one of the 100 best QBs in the world. Just sayin' And where I come from, 320k per year is pretty good money. Won't get you a posse and crib and a fleet of Escalades, maybe, but nobody needs that stuff anyway.

jkjsooner
8/18/2010, 09:09 PM
Well the Giants typically only keep 2 quarterbacks on the roster, so they really don't have a 3rd team QB... he either beats out Sorgi or its back to the practice squad or being cut..Coughlin likes to keep a lot of D and O lineman on the roster...

Every NFL team has 3 QB's. They're either part of the normal 45 man roster or they're the designated emergency QB (46th man).

If Bomar is the third QB he dresses out for games, is part of game preparation, etc. I'm not sure how that impacts his salary/contract. Either way, the Giants will have 3 QB's on the sidelines.

And, as far Bomar being benched in favor of Bradford, that is just ridiculous. Nobody knew how good Bradford would become and with Bomar there he would not have been given the chance to prove it for at least a year or two. Even without Bomar, it wasn't clear who was going to to be the starter out of Bradford, Halzle, and Nichol.

Also, Bomar was a heck of a QB. He had a great combination of arm strength and speed. He had his problems as all Freshman have but we had a pathetic offensive line that year (very young) amd he was running for his life. We frankly needed a guy with his speed and elusive ability. By the time Bradford took over that same offensive line had matured and was a very good unit.

One thing the coaches criticized Bomar for was the fact that he allowed himself to take too many hits. That's not good but you also have to admire the warrior in him.

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 09:33 PM
I was quite :( to see Tashard go, but I understand that he had family issues... but also suspected that he wasn't getting enough snaps to match his talent. Ah well, sometimes Sooner Nation just isn't meant to be for some players

Met his family at the KSU game in Manhattan. Nice people.

badger
8/18/2010, 09:35 PM
Wait a sec... wasn't Bomar the third stringer last year for the G-men, and wasn't he on the practice squad because of it, not the regular roster?

I think it's pretty much assumed that if you have a Manning up front, you don't need a backup. One of them will break Favre's starting streak at this rate.

jkjsooner
8/18/2010, 10:11 PM
Wait a sec... wasn't Bomar the third stringer last year for the G-men, and wasn't he on the practice squad because of it, not the regular roster?

I think it's pretty much assumed that if you have a Manning up front, you don't need a backup. One of them will break Favre's starting streak at this rate.

Update: I stand corrected. Many teams don't use the emergency QB so that they don't have to pay the guy.

That seems ridiculously absurd to me. You've got a guy probably making the league minimum (about 1/50th of Manning's salary) and a free roster slot and you don't use it? How much damage can a 3rd string QB do to the salary cap.

EstablishedSooner1967
8/19/2010, 10:25 AM
He has more TD passes in the nfl than Sam.. :(

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 10:59 AM
Every NFL team has 3 QB's. They're either part of the normal 45 man roster or they're the designated emergency QB (46th man).

I know the 46th man rule...there is no designated amount of quarterbacks to keep on the roster more than 2...Usually that emergency quarterback is a guy at another position already on the roster that has some qb experience..ie, Michael Irvin was Dallas emergency qb, Tom Tupa did..Mark Clayton was an emergency quarterback for Baltimore

The Giants kept 2 quarterbacks on the roster and Bomar was waived and then put on the practice squad until the last game of the season when the Giants had been eliminated from playoff contention the week before..

He isn't a designated emergency qb not on the active roster when a practice squad player is basically a free agent..

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 11:00 AM

Neither has any NFL TD passes...I know he threw one in a preseason game, but look at his NFL stats...

badger
8/19/2010, 11:26 AM

preseason doesn't count. that's why they're trying to cut the number of games and add regular season games instead. it's basically tune up games that eliminate the roster's dead weight... which NY did last year when they relegated him to the practice squad. Not trying to insult him, just acknowledging the fact that Eli will likely never sit a game that counts.

kelloggOUballa
8/19/2010, 11:27 AM

Even if you did count preseason, come on man, Sam has only played a little over a quarter of football! Sam will have many a touchdown pass in the NFL.

rawlingsHOH
8/19/2010, 11:28 AM
Update: I stand corrected. Many teams don't use the emergency QB so that they don't have to pay the guy.

That seems ridiculously absurd to me. You've got a guy probably making the league minimum (about 1/50th of Manning's salary) and a free roster slot and you don't use it? How much damage can a 3rd string QB do to the salary cap.
It isn't a free roster slot. It counts against the 53 man.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 11:30 AM

Nevermind my previous post as you discovered this for yourself

ouleaf
8/19/2010, 12:21 PM
Not trying to insult him, just acknowledging the fact that Eli will likely never sit a game that counts.

Not if he keeps getting hit like he did in that game on Monday night.... Eli was absolutely blown up on that play. definitely one of the hardest hits I've seen in awhile.

texaspokieokie
8/19/2010, 04:15 PM
saw where bomar got all the reps yesterdy, other 2 guys are hurt.

jkjsooner
8/19/2010, 08:14 PM
It isn't a free roster slot. It counts against the 53 man.

That's wrong. First it's 45 players and if you designate an emergency QB then you get 46. So, yes, if you have two QB's on your 45 man roster the emergency QB is a freebie (salary and salary cap aside).

I know the 46th man rule...there is no designated amount of quarterbacks to keep on the roster more than 2...Usually that emergency quarterback is a guy at another position already on the roster that has some qb experience..ie, Michael Irvin was Dallas emergency qb, Tom Tupa did..Mark Clayton was an emergency quarterback for Baltimore

This makes no sense. 1) The emergency QB can never be on the field at the same time as either of the other two QB's. 2) If the emergency QB plays prior to the fourth quarter then the other two can't enter the game.

Are you saying they held Irvin out of the game until the 4th quarter just so they could declare him as the emergency QB?

If you're saying Irvin would be the QB in an emergency, well that isn't an offical "emergency QB" and wouldn't allow Dallas to have a 46th man.

The league allows each team to have 45 active players each week. If no more than two of those players are quarterbacks, the team may designate a 46th player as its emergency third quarterback. If that player enters the game prior to the fourth quarter, then the first two quarterbacks on the roster are prohibited from returning to the game at any position at any time.

In summary, using Bomar as the emergency QB can really only hurt the wallet and salary cap. Considering the salaries we're talking about, I just don't get why you would risk it. (It's not unheard of to lose 2 QB's in a game.)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:36 PM
a lot of teams don't use the emergency rule...Irvin was that guy, Clayton is/was one...

Like I said, I understand the rule...came out in 91 or 92, changed in 94...can't remember all of it, but I've got the premise