PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had rotator cuff injury?

jkjsooner
8/16/2010, 06:25 PM
Has anyone here had a significant rotator cuff / shoulder injury. I'm trying to figure out if it's time to go to see an orthopedic surgeon. I hurt my shoulder pretty good about 9 years ago and after doing exercises it healed to 100% after about 6 months or so. This time it's just getting worse month after month and the rotator cuff exercises aren't helping.

Anyway, I figured it's a common injury so there has to be people here with experience in it.

I think the years of working out kind of caught up with me but it was the darn shoulder press behind the head that probably did me in. Dumb, dumb thing to do. It felt great... for a while...

Lott's Bandana
8/16/2010, 06:43 PM
My father had the surgery at age 70. He is in great shape, works out at the Y every day and it took him about 4 months to feel like he was starting to benefit from the procedure.

If you live anywhere in the OKC area, go see Debbie McAlister in Shawnee...she is very very good. OKCSLC went to med school with her.

PDXsooner
8/16/2010, 07:04 PM
Not sure if you know it's the rotator cuff for sure, but I tore the cartilage (labrum) in my shoulder in December, had surgery in April, and just returned to full time work on August 5th. Do you know it's the rotator cuff?

jkjsooner
8/16/2010, 07:53 PM
Not sure if you know it's the rotator cuff for sure, but I tore the cartilage (labrum) in my shoulder in December, had surgery in April, and just returned to full time work on August 5th. Do you know it's the rotator cuff?

No, I don't know for sure. Man, you had the surgery in April and return in August. That's rough.

I live if Virginia so I'll be seeing someone here if I need to. I have a coworker who just had surgery a few months ago and he highly recommends his doctor. Apparently his guy does work for the Capitals and Redskins (or maybe Nats - can't remember). I'm assuming that's for the ones that aren't sent to James Andrews...

Lott's Bandana
8/16/2010, 08:33 PM
Best of luck...getting it fixed is the right plan, don't want the joint to get all arthritic on you...hard to raise that number one finger with a bum shoulder.

1890MilesToNorman
8/16/2010, 08:37 PM
Mom had the injury from falling on the ice 4 or 5 years ago, she was in tears from the pain and finally had surgery. She was in her early 70's at the time. They don't get better on their own is my experience.

Soonerwake
8/17/2010, 11:01 AM
I had a repair in 2007 and another on the same shoulder in 2008. Go to therapy and do what they tell u to do.

The worst part is the 4 weeks of pretty much immobilization, and pain right after surgery. It takes 6 months to be approx. 75% healed.