PDA

View Full Version : The search for Brian Bosworth

Mad Dog Madsen
8/16/2010, 04:31 PM
An article about "The Boz."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/PrintStory.pl?document_id=2012624881&zsection_id=2002990519&slug=boz15&date=20100814

badger
8/16/2010, 04:51 PM
tell 'em to attend the next red/white game like we all did if they wanna know where boz is. yeesh! he's not that hard to find!

rawlingsHOH
8/16/2010, 04:52 PM
Massively underrated.

He was simply an easy target for the early-ESPN hype machine. They build 'em up and break 'em down, at their chosing.

But lob Knox a softball about Bosworth's hype outweighing his ability, and the stoical coach won't swing.

"He had great speed, great ability to do some things," Knox said, "and he could make 'em happen."

People forget that. The Seahawks beat the Broncos at the Kingdome in Bosworth's rookie season, and he put a licking on Elway just like he promised.

Go watch some tape of Bosworth's rookie season (it's out there on YouTube), he could play.

Boomer.....
8/16/2010, 04:54 PM
Sad turn of events for him.

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2010, 04:54 PM
What I loved most about Bosworth was that he absolutely hated Texas.

rawlingsHOH
8/16/2010, 04:55 PM
And again, once of the most overrated plays in NFL history.

In Bosworth's rookie season, 1987, a national TV audience watched the Seahawks face the Raiders at the Kingdome. Seattle was backed up to its own 2-yard line when Bo Jackson got the ball. Bosworth hit Jackson at the 1. When The Boz collided with Bo, an equally large persona, guess who ended up on his back in the end zone?

It is remembered as the moment everyone realized the emperor had no clothes. The Boz was stripped of all the hype and exposed.

Just one problem with that retelling.

"It wasn't that bad," Wyman said. "He didn't get his helmet across Bo. This was kind of a sideways-he-lost-the-stalemate battle. He got a lot of heat for that."

Almost every runningback in the league beats every linebacker in the league, in that situation. Another overblown ESPN-ism.

Sooner04
8/16/2010, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I get pissed over the Bo love on that play. I'm always saying, "show me where he got blown up, please!" Bo certainly left him in the dust on the long run, though. Holy cow, that guy was incredible.

I'll never forget seeing footage of Switzer screaming "Bosworth is the best linebacker in the country!" outside the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl after the '85 Texas game. When Todd Dodge wets the bed at night, you can bet he's been dreaming of Bosworth.

badger
8/16/2010, 05:11 PM
Seriously though, they make it sound like this guy just disappeared.
http://i36.tinypic.com/20qy2u.png

I missed the game, but from the pics like the one above, link here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/2010/slideshows/OU_Legends/index.aspx), it looks like the Boz is still alive and well and not trying to hide.

Plus - those killer third down clips that he and others recorded to get the crowd hyped up a few seasons ago! Awesome! This guy didn't drop off the face of the earth. He just got the eff outta Seattle. Boo hoo, Seattle. Another sports thing they can claim Oklahoma stole ;)

SoonerDomiNation
8/16/2010, 05:20 PM
My ALL time fav. Sooner.

StoopTroup
8/16/2010, 05:28 PM
He needs to wear pants over those Non-Malibu lookin' legs he's got now. Them things needs some sun. One of you guys should tell him about it. Please leave me out of it. :D ;)

texaspokieokie
8/16/2010, 06:03 PM
from what i remember, he kinda crapped on OU in his book.

Crucifax Autumn
8/16/2010, 06:42 PM
That article sucked. Way too much of the negative, not really "showing" his personality, and basically a big attack piece.

agoo758
8/16/2010, 07:25 PM
from what i remember, he kinda crapped on OU in his book.

Read the book, have the book. Not the case at all. Though he did not like the Frank Horton. :P

AlbqSooner
8/16/2010, 07:26 PM
On the infamous "Bo play" Bo went down in the endzone. Bosworth later commented, when getting flack over the play, that he took on Bo Jackson one on one and held him to five yards.

SunnySooner
8/16/2010, 08:13 PM
He was in Iraq over Christmas this past year, with The King, Tony Casillas, and Little Joe. They all signed a bunch of stuff for my son, and posed for pics with Mr. SS, along with some other former college greats. They did a "Salute-The-Troops" Bowl flag football game with players from the services mixed in with the old guys on each side, The King coached one team, and Tommy Bowden coached the other guys, all the former Sooners played for The King, that team won like 36-7, the Boz even caught a touchdown pass, allsome. I thought it was very cool of all of them to give up that much of their time right at Christmas/New Year's to raise morale, Mr. SS said it was a huge success with all of the troops, a big boost at a time when they were all really wanting to be home. Rocket Ismail, Tommy Frazier, I think Trent Dilfer, Bruce Smith, they were all there, they showed clips during halftime of the Fiesta Bowl.

I think the Boz does more of that kind of thing than he gets credit for, he's on the "good guys" list in my book.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs152.snc3/17936_1215936359692_1267325455_30607704_2711663_n. jpg

rawlingsHOH
8/16/2010, 09:21 PM
wasn't there a story about him saving someone's life a couple years back. maybe up in canada or something?

bluesmagoo
8/16/2010, 09:57 PM
Seattle Times is a load of whiney crap, isn't it?

delhalew
8/17/2010, 01:07 AM
He was in Iraq over Christmas this past year, with The King, Tony Casillas, and Little Joe. They all signed a bunch of stuff for my son, and posed for pics with Mr. SS, along with some other former college greats. They did a "Salute-The-Troops" Bowl flag football game with players from the services mixed in with the old guys on each side, The King coached one team, and Tommy Bowden coached the other guys, all the former Sooners played for The King, that team won like 36-7, the Boz even caught a touchdown pass, allsome. I thought it was very cool of all of them to give up that much of their time right at Christmas/New Year's to raise morale, Mr. SS said it was a huge success with all of the troops, a big boost at a time when they were all really wanting to be home. Rocket Ismail, Tommy Frazier, I think Trent Dilfer, Bruce Smith, they were all there, they showed clips during halftime of the Fiesta Bowl.

I think the Boz does more of that kind of thing than he gets credit for, he's on the "good guys" list in my book.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs152.snc3/17936_1215936359692_1267325455_30607704_2711663_n. jpg

I remember wishing they would show more of that game on tv. As I recall, we got barely a glimpse. I guess there were too many half hour long Tebow docs that needed airing.

NorthernIowaSooner
8/17/2010, 10:31 AM
wasn't there a story about him saving someone's life a couple years back. maybe up in canada or something?

he gave cpr to someone in putnam city a couple years ago if i remember right and i think he helped at a car crash site in canada

this article is ridiculous, look a little harder then just trying to bug the boz at his home. he was on tv for a couple years every saturday doing games for TBS, he comes back to OU things and makes various other appearances.

one of his nephews signed with the lions today as well

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 10:37 AM
One of the best parts of his book his him talking about how much he was hated in Denver, so he made several thousand anti-boz shirts and sold them in Denver and made a nice chunk of change

olevetonahill
8/17/2010, 10:42 AM
The Boz just aint got time fer idiot reporters that want to write negative **** about him .;)

badger
8/17/2010, 10:54 AM
One of the best parts of his book his him talking about how much he was hated in Denver, so he made several thousand anti-boz shirts and sold them in Denver and made a nice chunk of change

If Texas was as desperate for athletic money as aTm, they would turn that whorn logo upside down, and make a CRAPLOAD of money off the rest of the Big 12... especially nebbish

sooner n houston
8/17/2010, 10:59 AM
This reporter definently had an axe to grind. What a doosh bag!

badger
8/17/2010, 11:09 AM
This reporter definently had an axe to grind. What a doosh bag!

Well, OU did come up to Seattle a few years ago in their completely defeated season and twist the head of their precious QB Jake Locker a full 180 degrees :eek:

47straight
8/17/2010, 01:26 PM
That article was just fundamentally bad. In essence, the writer couldnt get an interview and decided to write the article anyway.

It reminds me of college newspapers -"I couldn't think of anything to write about, so I'm writing about how I can't think of anything to write about!"

Mad Dog Madsen
8/17/2010, 01:31 PM
Well, OU did come up to Seattle a few years ago in their completely defeated season and twist the head of their precious QB Jake Locker a full 180 degrees :eek:

Don't forget about how OKC "stole" the SuperSonics away from them either. I just don't think Seattle likes Oklahoma very much... :cool:

KantoSooner
8/17/2010, 02:17 PM
Be kind to left coast types.

They have had close to 60 years of being the leaders in national everything. (Yes, California got to go first, but even Oregon and Washington got a turn, albeit recently and only for a short period of time - roughly equal to the number of nice weather days they have per year. And, yes, Cal got sex, drugs and rock and roll while Washington got coffee and grunge, and Oregon got a hybrid blackberry named after a small city there, but still...).

Now, they are all faced with the crushing reality that their economies have gone into the ditch (largely, I add as an aside, due to idiotic governmental policies that broadly correspond to the old adage about democracies only lasting as long as it takes for the people to discover that they can vote themselves money; which works until the other guys' money runs out. On the west coast, it has) and, with their economies have gone their sizzle.

From here on out, for the next generation or so, it would appear that the money, population growth and general buzz has moved to an area centered on Texas. Yes, that Texas. And for the foreseeable, it will be that area that sets the national trends.

Do you have any idea how galling that is to people from the west coast? They've spent the last two generations poking fun at people in Texas and now THIS. We know how excited the folks in New York were to watch as the whole country put on sun tan lotion and started saying 'like' starting in 1950. And now Callie and the Seattle-ites get to drink from the same cup.

It's no wonder that Bosworth is dredged up as a boogie man. In taking the Seahawks to the hoop for what was it? $20 mill in 1987 dollars, guaranteed, baby!? He was only, as usual, a few years ahead of the trend.

Brian Bosworth: Man Among Men.

OklahomaTuba
8/17/2010, 02:42 PM
If Boz is having money issues, he needs to seriously be in sports radio.

stoopified
8/17/2010, 02:47 PM
from what i remember, he kinda crapped on OU in his book.tRUE AND iIWAS NOT IN HIS FAN CLUB FOR A LONG TIME OVER THAT but HE DID APOLOGIZE FOR THAT.FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW BOZ APOLOGIZED FOR EMBARRASSING OU AND DID IT IN FRONT OF BARRY AND A LARGE GROUP OF OU GREATS DURING THE TAPING OF THE SOONER LEGENDS dvd.He was told not to worry about,that they all realize he was just a kid.I recall Jim Riley(OL on the Dolphins 1972 perfect season) puting his hand on Boz's shoulder,and telling him ,IT'S OK.

It took a LOT of guts to apologize in front of that many players from OU's storied history.IMHO that gives his mea culpa more weight than if he had simply sent a letter,e-mail,or fax.

soonerborn30
8/17/2010, 03:09 PM
He can't be THAT hard to track down. I played blackjack next to him a couple weeks ago at Lucky Star. Maybe the writer should have called me.

jkjsooner
8/17/2010, 04:46 PM
In 2007, he was listed as the real-estate agent when the house was on the market and received an offer of $10.7 million. He held out for $10.9 million. The prospective buyer walked, and Bosworth hiked the listing price to $12 million.

Two years later, his ex-wife wanted to accept an offer of $5.5 million.

Dang. Usually I laugh at greedy fools who thought they were entitled to sell their house at its bubble peak value and ended up losing big because of it. I feel for Boz though.

I wish someone would have pointed Boz to one of the various real estate bubble websites. Unfortunately as a realtor he had a vested interest in ignoring the facts and that blinded him (as it did for every other realtor I've ever met).

I would have hoped his business degree (and good GPA) would have helped him out but business folks were the most clueless of all. They were blinded by their mathematical models and probability calculations that they couldn't see the forest for the trees.

badger
8/17/2010, 05:11 PM
He and Mike Leach on CBS would be a winning tandem. I would tune into Central Michigan vs. Rice just to listen to them

bri
8/17/2010, 10:58 PM
If Texas was as desperate for athletic money as aTm, they would turn that whorn logo upside down, and make a CRAPLOAD of money off the rest of the Big 12... especially nebbish

They don't have to. All those upside-down Horns stickers and license plates you see driving around? Those are just regular Texas stickers and plates mounted upside-down. All the money STILL goes to Texas, which is why the people who put that crap on their cars are f*ckin' idiots. "Man, I hate Texas so much I'm gonna give them some of my money! THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!" :rolleyes:

rawlingsHOH
8/17/2010, 11:13 PM
They don't have to. All those upside-down Horns stickers and license plates you see driving around? Those are just regular Texas stickers and plates mounted upside-down. All the money STILL goes to Texas, which is why the people who put that crap on their cars are f*ckin' idiots. "Man, I hate Texas so much I'm gonna give them some of my money! THAT'LL SHOW 'EM!" :rolleyes:

I don't think that is exactly how the NCAA collective mechandise licensing agreement works. But I'll let you look into that. ; )

bri
8/17/2010, 11:31 PM
You're right, Texas absolutely doesn't get that money. That's why the Collegiate Licensing Company hasn't ranked them #1 in merchandise sales the last four years. It's also why they don't make more money than every other athletic department in America. I stand corrected.

Crucifax Autumn
8/18/2010, 12:10 AM
*yawn*

Since71ASooner4Life
8/18/2010, 06:03 AM
That article was written by a ninny. He's back stabbing a guy who won a National Championship and a ton of individual awards, and had what probably would have been an excellent NFL career ended before it ever really got started by injury. I guess everyone else who saw what this dipstick didn't see must have been wrong. Maybe Brian will return his calls next time and validate this guy's importance like he so desperately needs

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 08:50 AM
You're right, Texas absolutely doesn't get that money. That's why the Collegiate Licensing Company hasn't ranked them #1 in merchandise sales the last four years. It's also why they don't make more money than every other athletic department in America. I stand corrected.
From OU fans buying stickers? LOL

47straight
8/18/2010, 03:03 PM
I don't think that is exactly how the NCAA collective mechandise licensing agreement works. But I'll let you look into that. ; )

Most college trademark licensing works on a flat-fee basis, based on who you are and what the product is. So no, buying a horn sticker doesn't necessarily add a cent to the coffers of UT.

An example would be one of my favorite photographers who doesn't have any OU stadium pictures for sale, like he does for UT and aTm. He doesn't want to shell out a small, but not insubstantial amount of cash, for the privilege. He'd have to sell a certain amount to make his money back, and he just doesn't have the market to do that in central Texas. If it were just a per-item royalty, he could do that.

CrimsonCommando
8/18/2010, 03:36 PM
He and Mike Leach on CBS would be a winning tandem. I would tune into Central Michigan vs. Rice just to listen to them

^^^ This.

Plus I would add that this reporter/stalker likely has NEVER put himself in such a critical arena like college or pro sports, the entertainment industry and dared to take on any great man. Brian Bosworth has. Why tear down a guy who at least tried? Brian's story isn't finished yet.

badger
8/18/2010, 03:49 PM
The reporter/stalker must have taken this piece on recently, because like we all know, all you have to do is hang around OU a little while to see Boz... See Box run. Run, Boz, run!

;)

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2010, 04:01 PM
The reporter/stalker must have taken this piece on recently, because like we all know, all you have to do is hang around OU a little while to see Boz... See Box run. Run, Boz, run!

;)

Austin Box is hurt and can't run right now... :D

Dan Thompson
8/18/2010, 04:08 PM
So, where is the Boz? Last I heard he was out here in CA selling homes in Malibu.

badger
8/18/2010, 04:16 PM
Austin Box is hurt and can't run right now... :D

Who are you, Texags? :P

King Barry's Back
8/18/2010, 07:02 PM

Naw, that doesn't applpy to me. I make sure that any TX crap I buy comes from bootleggers.

PrideTrombone
8/18/2010, 07:19 PM
Are we sure Jenni Carlson didn't write that article?

jkjsooner
8/18/2010, 09:24 PM

Funny but the NFL didn't let him keep the money...

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 09:31 PM
Funny but the NFL didn't let him keep the money...

Why not?

jkjsooner
8/18/2010, 09:52 PM
Why not?

I don't know exactly but I think it broke some NFL marketing rule. I remember reading about it but now I can't find anything about it.

randall180
8/18/2010, 10:01 PM
I saw The Boz on some new t-shirt company stuff- Tradition 8. Had some really cool shirts, but now i can't find them anywhere. It appeared that he was the owner of it, but i don't know.

randall180
8/18/2010, 10:03 PM
Here is a link for those shirts:http://www.metroshoewarehouse.com/p-4453-tradition-8-mens-burnt-orange-makes-me-puke-shirt-white.aspx

http://www.metroshoewarehouse.com/p-4453-tradition-8-mens-burnt-orange-makes-me-puke-shirt-white.aspx

badger
8/18/2010, 10:06 PM
wtf, boz?
http://www.metroshoewarehouse.com/images/Product/medium/4448.jpg
this one's better:
http://www.metroshoewarehouse.com/images/Product/medium/4451.jpg
Ooo, my fav:
http://www.metroshoewarehouse.com/images/Product/medium/4459.jpg

shirts a bit pricey, but most look cool

soonerborn30
8/18/2010, 11:04 PM
They have a couple in a little boutique on Campus that's a picture of his face, but they're pretty spendy. Like Affliction or Ed Hardy spendy.