PDA

View Full Version : Stoops gone in 4 years Over/Under

Soonermagik
8/16/2010, 12:21 PM
I think Stoops is really trying to win one more title and he will retire. After listening to his radio interviews he admitted there's more to life than football. He said there's still a lot of things he wants to do. It almost sounded as if he wants to retire at a decent age. Not to mention, he's about to turn 50, which surely has him thinking. He said he would never be a Joe Pa type coach.

I think he's gone within 3 years. Actually, I will be shocked if he's not gone in 3 years.

NOVSooner
8/16/2010, 12:31 PM
4 years minimum....i believe he will try and become the all time winningest coach at OU. someone said he needs 40 more victories, average 10 wins ( I know, that's a low avg), cover 4 seasons, he should have it. along with 1 or 2 more titles in that time span (glasses are on)!

goingoneight
8/16/2010, 12:32 PM
I would be shocked if he's gone in five years; but you never know. He seemed like the young, fiery type after that first National Championship that we just couldn't afford to keep from the NFL. He still has that competitive edge and enthusiasm to him and here we are nearly ten years later. I think it helps a lot that when he was younger, he admired OU and Switzer so much. Coaches like Nick Saban and Lane Kiffin might not even know program history til they get there and take it all in.
OUr program is in as good if not better hands as it's ever been when you calculate success on the field, class and respect and keeping us mostly out of NCAA trouble (sans two idjits circa 2006).

NormanPride
8/16/2010, 12:32 PM
I think he still loves it, still has the energy, and still has the passion. Why would he leave?

TahoeSOONER
8/16/2010, 12:38 PM
No question, ten years left.

badger
8/16/2010, 12:40 PM
Winning a national championship makes you want to win another. Losing a national championship game probably makes you want to win a championship even more than winning one does.

That said, Stoops will not be out for a long time.

Then again, I once thought Levitz, Mangino and Leach had much longer tenures in store at South Florida, Kansas and Tech.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/16/2010, 12:41 PM
OVER

oudavid1
8/16/2010, 12:46 PM
Over, but he dosnt wanna coach forever.

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 12:53 PM
I think a lot of it depends on his kids. He'll coach at least through their high school careers. And I have no idea how old they are now.

Boomer.....
8/16/2010, 12:56 PM
Over.

If he didn't want to stay here, he wouldn't be building a new house.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/16/2010, 01:01 PM
I doubt he makes it through the season

badger
8/16/2010, 01:01 PM
Fat Phil Fulmer's wife tried to convince him to retire following his nat'l title in 1998, telling him that he's reached the top of his coaching career and that he will never feel as good about his coaching and Rocky Top as he did at that moment.

Fat Fulmer considered for a moment, then reportedly responded that he didn't know any other job that he could do that would pay as much as coaching Tennessee.

I think much higher of Stoops than I do of Fat Phil, so I know that money won't keep him in the job for longer than he should. I think his love of coaching and competing - and the elusive 'next' title - will keep Stoops at Oklahoma for a very long time.

EDIT: In case you're wondering about the Fulmer story, here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3068593).

soonerborn30
8/16/2010, 01:14 PM
Over.

If he didn't want to stay here, he wouldn't be building a new house.

That's no house. That's a friggin castle.

He'll be here to win at least one more title and a couple more conferences. I'll take the Over.

yankee
8/16/2010, 01:30 PM
I doubt he makes it through the season

+1

i think that ankle injury is finally going to do him in.

josh09
8/16/2010, 01:53 PM
In all honesty (trying not to be biased :D), I feel like Bob could end up being like a Bobby Bowden for us. I'm not saying he will stay as long as Bowden did, but I could see Stoops staying here for another 20 years. He seems perfectly happy here, and unlike many other coaches out there, it is easy to tell that Bob doesn't care as much about money, rather than winning and actually enjoying his coaching position.

Also, I went by his new house upon my return to college a couple of days ago, and I'll just say that after all of the work he seems to be putting into it, it doesn't look like he will be leaving for at least another 5 years :) I like to call it "Castle Stoops"

josh09
8/16/2010, 01:56 PM
I think Stoops is really trying to win one more title and he will retire. After listening to his radio interviews he admitted there's more to life than football. He said there's still a lot of things he wants to do. It almost sounded as if he wants to retire at a decent age. Not to mention, he's about to turn 50, which surely has him thinking. He said he would never be a Joe Pa type coach.

I think he's gone within 3 years. Actually, I will be shocked if he's not gone in 3 years.

After reading this, I agree with you on half of what you say. He is definitely a family-first type of guy. But when you say you think he's "gone within 3 years", do you mean going to another team or just retiring? Because like I said in my above post, I don't think he'll be leaving Norman any time soon. But yes, I could see him retiring in about 10 years, but not as soon as 3 years. I have a good feeling he'll be retiring from football as a Sooner :D

soonermix
8/16/2010, 01:58 PM
i will take the over.

rawlingsHOH
8/16/2010, 02:00 PM

Yeah, he's said that since December of 1998. Just tuning in?

yukonsooner
8/16/2010, 02:12 PM
I think a lot of it depends on his kids. He'll coach at least through their high school careers. And I have no idea how old they are now.

I agree, depending on the ages of the kids, I believe he'll stay until they finish high school. They have grown up in Norman and they aren't going to want to leave. He strikes me as the kind of dad that would honor their requests.

SoonerPr8r
8/16/2010, 02:12 PM
+1

i think that ankle injury is finally going to do him in.

I agree but I think he will still get drafted pretty high. We will have to see how he does in the combine

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2010, 02:13 PM
Jason White rule. That ankle injury will get him at least two more years if he applies for a hardship exemption.

BoulderSooner79
8/16/2010, 02:17 PM
He's just building that house to flip it for a quick profit.

47straight
8/16/2010, 02:25 PM
He stays till his kids are in college, and then he tries the NFL.

OULenexaman
8/16/2010, 02:34 PM
his 40 times have gone way up....

Mad Dog Madsen
8/16/2010, 03:21 PM
He stays till his kids are in college, and then he bolts for Ohio State.

:eek:

Soonermagik
8/16/2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah, he's said that since December of 1998. Just tuning in?

That made me chuckle.:D I just got a sense that he was looking at life through a different lens. It's almost like turning 50 has made him really analyze his life. He's even been really fun and relaxed with the media lately.

Personally, I think something is up. I have a strong feeling that he wants people to remember him as a winner and a good guy. I just get the impression in 3-4 years he's gone. Now, if he doesn't win a title by then he may stick around. He's been really impressed with this freshman class. Maybe he's thinking he will stick with them for 4 years then he's off to Florida for retirement. Maybe I'm reading too much into it. :)

StoopTroup
8/16/2010, 05:15 PM
4 more years would give him 5 MNCs. I say he's gone in 2 and he has 3 total...but I guess it's possible he could roll the dice once more and make it 3 in a row and 4 total. That would really excite the Monster and anyone who never got at least 3 or 4 MNCs after that would be the biggest dumb**** we ever hired from there on out. :D ;)

stoopified
8/16/2010, 05:30 PM
Over.I have been saying for years that if Bob stays at OU long enough to pass Bennie Owen(122-54-16) he will stay long enough to pass Bud(145-29-4) and Barry (157-29-4).Don't look now but Bob is just 6 wins from passing Bennie,29 from passing Bud,41 from passing Barry.I think Bob will coach at OU for close to 20 years.I think Drake and Issac are 10 or 11 and Mackenzie is about 4 years older so Iam thinking Bob won't jump to the NFL(or whatever else he might do) until the boys are out of Norman North, just IMHO.
FWIW Bob will be 58 after 20 years at OU(I am 6 months older than Bpb ).I think that is old enough for Bob to retire if the NFL doesn't happen.

ndpruitt03
8/16/2010, 05:32 PM
I think he'll stay long enough to get Josh Heupel ready to take over his job as the head coach. I think that's a little more than 4 years, probably 6-8 years. Would would be around 18-20 seasons.

soonervegas
8/16/2010, 09:03 PM
Over.I have been saying for years that if Bob stays at OU long enough to pass Bennie Owen(122-54-16) he will stay long enough to pass Bud(145-29-4) and Barry (157-29-4).Don't look now but Bob is just 6 wins from passing Bennie,29 from passing Bud,41 from passing Barry.I think Bob will coach at OU for close to 20 years.I think Drake and Issac are 10 or 11 and Mackenzie is about 4 years older so Iam thinking Bob won't jump to the NFL(or whatever else he might do) until the boys are out of Norman North, just IMHO.
FWIW Bob will be 58 after 20 years at OU(I am 6 months older than Bpb ).I think that is old enough for Bob to retire if the NFL doesn't happen.

I agree with stoopified 100%. 58 is the number.....and he will be here until then and then an analyst booth after that.

soonervegas
8/16/2010, 09:10 PM
My question is this: If Stoops stay the next 8 years, averages 11-2 over that time span, wins one more NC and finishes 215-45. Who is the man?

Bud - 145-29-4 (3) 82.6%
Barry - 157-29-4 (3) 83.7%
Bob - 215-45 (2) 82.7%

Fraggle145
8/17/2010, 10:49 AM
Over.

But how much over is going to depend on who the next president is... I think Boren has about 4 years left in him.

Shakadoodoo
8/17/2010, 10:52 AM
He still has 30 years before he is a "Joe Pa" type of coach!

Sabanball
8/17/2010, 11:43 AM
I think Nick and Bob are cut from the same cloth--both thrive on and enjoy the challenges of the college game--recruiting, teaching, etc. --and I really don't think either of them have the word 'retirement' in their vocabulary. With Bob still being a relatively young man, I could easily see both of them coaching into their 70's.

ndpruitt03
8/17/2010, 11:47 AM
I think the thing about Bob is that I could see him coaching high school in like 10 years after being tired of the college game. I don't think he'll be a coach for life. He's said several times before that he sees himself coaching hs basketball after he's done coaching college football.

IB4OU2
8/17/2010, 04:34 PM
Fat Phil Fulmer's wife tried to convince him to retire following his nat'l title in 1998, telling him that he's reached the top of his coaching career and that he will never feel as good about his coaching and Rocky Top as he did at that moment.

Fat Fulmer considered for a moment, then reportedly responded that he didn't know any other job that he could do that would pay as much as coaching Tennessee.

I think much higher of Stoops than I do of Fat Phil, so I know that money won't keep him in the job for longer than he should. I think his love of coaching and competing - and the elusive 'next' title - will keep Stoops at Oklahoma for a very long time.

EDIT: In case you're wondering about the Fulmer story, here it is (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3068593).

There's a few of us that may be a little sensitive to the Fat Phil comments. :D

HBick
8/17/2010, 04:40 PM
the twins are like 9 I think? maybe 8. one of my friends babysits them on gamedays, or use too at least

CrimsonJim
8/17/2010, 04:40 PM
I definitely take the over on this one. Bob loves him some golf, but he's not ready to play it full time just yet. :D