PDA

View Full Version : How important will turnover margin be this year?

Half a Hundred
8/16/2010, 06:13 AM
In my mind, it will be the difference between a nice season and a national championship. It's going to be the determinant whether we march out of College Station with a win or a loss, a la 2000 (I'm not as concerned about Dallas, * has an ***-kicking with its name on it).

I like that we have the heavy hitters that can force fumbles, both through impact and intimidation. However, are we going to have the kind of ballhawks that will keep our interception ratios in the green? Enlighten me please :gary:

AlbqSooner
8/16/2010, 06:21 AM
Turnover margin is quite often the difference in a team making improvement over the previous year. The extra year of experience for Landry should mean an improvement in fewer interceptions thrown. If our O line gels he should have a bit more time and not have to rush throws. Hopefully the receivers can catch the ball better than last year.

DeMarco should be able to hold on to the ball consistently. Defensively we should be able to create a few more turnovers as well. I suggest that by the end of the season we should have a significant improvement in turnover margin, which, as said above, often results in an improvement in record.

oudavid1
8/16/2010, 12:50 PM
As an aspiring coach i would say it is extremely important.

goingoneight
8/16/2010, 01:57 PM
I think they explained it best when they said we were +22 in 2008, giving us not only the nod over Texas Tech and Texas (see how I did that? :P), but the #1 rank in the country. When two good teams play, it's usually the turnover ratio that tells the story of the game. As a coach, and as a player... each possession should be treated as an opportunity.

agoo758
8/16/2010, 02:10 PM
Look at the final rankings from top to bottom at the end of a season. The Win/loss column is almost always directly related to the turnover margin. Simply put, the fewer mistakes you make, the better you do.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 04:28 PM
You might as well be asking, "How important is it that OU outscores the other team?".

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2010, 04:34 PM
All you have to do to win is score more points.