PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele defending his choice

oudavid1
8/15/2010, 10:32 PM
http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=2039327&cid=368&source=feed

ouwasp
8/15/2010, 10:56 PM
Good read. Hope Phil is right!

Like I said in another thread, I hope the OL plays like men instead of 300 pound 7th graders this year... if they do, great things may be in store for our beloved Sooners.

o0Dan0o
8/15/2010, 11:12 PM
Good stuff!

I agree with Phil, defense will be a serious force, and if the o-line is improved to the point to give Murray some holes we will run through most of our schedule.
Dan

soonerborn30
8/15/2010, 11:56 PM
I'll go ahead and knock on wood for everybody reading that.

VA Sooner
8/16/2010, 12:09 AM
I read through his magazine. Very daunting project to put out that much information. If his mathematical model holds true, I can believe it.

But anything can happen... just like last year when our players were dropping like flies.

One game at a time...

goingoneight
8/16/2010, 12:29 AM
Here's the thing:

Pre-season predictions are wild, out-there guesses anyway.

But, OTOH... sometimes you have to look at what Steele is saying in this particular article.

Name a program with a better QB

Probably not too difficult if you want to be critical, but let's move on...

Take a good QB, and give him guys like Murray, Broyles, Miller, Stills and an experienced OL.

Let's venture over to the defensive side of the ball. If it was all about offense, surely there would be some teams to score with the best of us.

Who in the country has that much firepower on offense and a good looking two deep defensively like we do?

Again it all comes back to guys like Andre Ware being nothing more than lucky with his prediction last year. If we have a ****storm of injuries, we're as screwed as we've ever been. If we have a clean, healthy run wire-to-wire like in 2000, it's awfully hard for a sportswriter to pick against us without knowing definitive insider information or tendencies maybe the fans know a bit more than the guys who are looking at big picture only. We love our chances, but know the tendencies of the team the last five years or so... like BCS woes, problems with the spread offense at times, etc.

gaylordfan1
8/16/2010, 02:46 AM
I don't know who's been tickling Steele's nuts, but thank you. This guy is as detailed in his researching as anyone else! His book is a Smörgåsbord of information.... maybe too much for a casual reader. Scratch that.... definitely too much for a casual reader. This guy knows his college football.

Crucifax Autumn
8/16/2010, 03:20 AM
I predict Steele will be considered a genius come January.

Soonermagik
8/16/2010, 08:41 AM
OU has a legit chance if they are unbeaten after the Texas game.. I just don't see them losing. However, playing Nebraska in the Big 12 title game is not a gimme.

Plus, it would depend on who they matched up with in a NC game. I like their chances better with an Ohio State than say an Alabama. Not to see we couldn't beat Alabama, but Ohio State would be an easier road.

rawlingsHOH
8/16/2010, 09:13 AM
Steele shouldn't have to "defend" anything. He can let his track record speak for itself. It is all out there in print!

goingoneight
8/16/2010, 09:22 AM
OU has a legit chance if they are unbeaten after the Texas game.. I just don't see them losing. However, playing Nebraska in the Big 12 title game is not a gimme.

Plus, it would depend on who they matched up with in a NC game. I like their chances better with an Ohio State than say an Alabama. Not to see we couldn't beat Alabama, but Ohio State would be an easier road.

Ohio State has some good numbers (depth, experience) coming back. Careful not to get caught up in the SEC hype. OU and Texas despite critical personnel losses were right there with the mighty SEC-SEC-SEC. And if Boise State can beat us, West Virginia can luck into Fiasco Bowl 2.0 and Utah can crush Bama, I'd say nothing's a gimme at that level.

OUmillenium
8/16/2010, 09:46 AM
Actually, Nebraska will be a gimme now that they dont have Suh and LJ should put a performance better than his 5int outing last year against the shuckers.

stoopified
8/16/2010, 10:30 AM
Actually, Nebraska will be a gimme now that they dont have Suh and LJ should put a performance better than his 5int outing last year against the shuckers.Cornies aren't an issue this year UNLESS we make the CCG.Hopefully we DO get to play them.

swardboy
8/16/2010, 11:22 AM
It just kills me to hear him rehashing how close we were to being an 11 game winner last year. And the distinction in LJ's situation one year ago vs. now is a huge factor. From holding a clipboard to a year of game action, spring, and fall practice....a different QB to be sure.

soonervegas
8/16/2010, 11:33 AM
If they stay healthy.......OU is one of about 5-6 teams that can win it. OU has been in contention in November 8 of the 11 seasons Stoops has been here. Sounds like a pretty conservative bet from Steele.

The only was he could have been more conservative is picking Ohio State.

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 11:43 AM
At the risk of being yelled at (it wouldn't be the first time), what is the love for Ohio State and Pryor all about?
Are they really that good? Is he really that good? I watched them twice last season (once in their bowl game) and went away unimpressed. They play in a sucky conference and ran up a goodly number of victories there, but, had they played against real oppostion? Put them in the B12 South or either side of the SEC and they lose 2-3 pretty much automatically.
I would love to get them in a natl championship game. (Or to watch them play 'Bama. Kind of like 'Godzilla Meets Bambi').

soonervegas
8/16/2010, 11:55 AM
At the risk of being yelled at (it wouldn't be the first time), what is the love for Ohio State and Pryor all about?
Are they really that good? Is he really that good? I watched them twice last season (once in their bowl game) and went away unimpressed. They play in a sucky conference and ran up a goodly number of victories there, but, had they played against real oppostion? Put them in the B12 South or either side of the SEC and they lose 2-3 pretty much automatically.
I would love to get them in a natl championship game. (Or to watch them play 'Bama. Kind of like 'Godzilla Meets Bambi').

Kanto you could change a few word on this and match what many people in the country are saying about OU. I can see OSU getting #2 this year under Tressel. They have 8 home games and the SEC or Big 12 champ won't be as dominate as previous years.

Soonermagik
8/16/2010, 12:17 PM
Ohio State has some good numbers (depth, experience) coming back. Careful not to get caught up in the SEC hype. OU and Texas despite critical personnel losses were right there with the mighty SEC-SEC-SEC. And if Boise State can beat us, West Virginia can luck into Fiasco Bowl 2.0 and Utah can crush Bama, I'd say nothing's a gimme at that level.

I didn't say it would be a gimme to beat Ohio State. I'm just saying I would much rather face Sweater Vest than Saban. The SEC is a good conference, but they are beatable. Plus, OU tends to do decent against running QB's i.e Pryor. Ohio State is no slouch and it wouldn't be easy, but I would like our chances better.

I'd prefer a Virginia Tech type team, but I don't see that happening.

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 01:00 PM
Kanto you could change a few word on this and match what many people in the country are saying about OU. I can see OSU getting #2 this year under Tressel. They have 8 home games and the SEC or Big 12 champ won't be as dominate as previous years.

And I can buy the doubt regarding OU. Other than Steele, most have us preseason (for whatever that's worth) as 8-13 or so. Which, in my opinion is about right until we prove ourselves.

OSU, though, seems like they are on everyone's short list for top 5 and that I simply don't get. Pryor, in particular, seems to be woefully deficient in his checkoffs and decision making.

Anyway, I'm just marking time until the season starts.

delhalew
8/16/2010, 02:03 PM
Steele shouldn't have to "defend" anything. He can let his track record speak for itself. It is all out there in print!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Salt City Sooner
8/16/2010, 02:42 PM
The Big 10 had 4 teams finish in the top 16 (3 of which finished in the top 8) of the final '09 poll, something no other conference can say. I'm not saying they're the SEC or anything like that (although they were quite top-heavy with Bama & UF last year), but that's a more than respectable showing to me.

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 02:48 PM
Would you fear playing anyone in the B10? Anyone at all? Records and rankings can be skewed and biased. I run my own 'Who would I rather not play' based reality check.
Just me, probably, but I didn't see anything at all to cause worry coming out of the B10 last year.

BoulderSooner79
8/16/2010, 03:01 PM
tOSU is for real. If you discount them because they can't seem to get past USC and struggle in BCS bowls, then you have to discount... oh, wait.

Salt City Sooner
8/16/2010, 03:24 PM
Would you fear playing anyone in the B10? Anyone at all? Records and rankings can be skewed and biased. I run my own 'Who would I rather not play' based reality check.
Just me, probably, but I didn't see anything at all to cause worry coming out of the B10 last year.I don't FEAR anybody. This is OU football we're talking about, & there's no part of the schedule I like better than a good OOC game. That doesn't mean that our opponents aren't good too, though. I didn't fear Boise State. I didn't fear USC. I didn't fear UCLA, Florida, or LSU. Doesn't mean OU didn't lose those games. We ain't the only rodeo in town, & as far as the Big 10 goes they went a respectable 4-3 in bowl games last year (including a pair of BCS wins) & were VERY close to going 7-0. Minnesota lost by one point, Northwestern lost on a fake FG in OT, & TTU had to score twice in the last 5 minutes to come from behind against MSU.

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 04:03 PM
Fair enough. I retain the right, however, to regard most of the SEC with football respect....and most the B10 with near withering contempt.

You appear to know whereof you speak. Please educate me: what about tOSU is particularly strong? I am probably displaying my ignorance, but I didn't see anything that stood out when I watched them last year.

BosworthXXXL
8/16/2010, 04:16 PM
I don't FEAR anybody. This is OU football we're talking about, & there's no part of the schedule I like better than a good OOC game. That doesn't mean that our opponents aren't good too, though. I didn't fear Boise State. I didn't fear USC. I didn't fear UCLA, Florida, or LSU. Doesn't mean OU didn't lose those games. We ain't the only rodeo in town, & as far as the Big 10 goes they went a respectable 4-3 in bowl games last year (including a pair of BCS wins) & were VERY close to going 7-0. Minnesota lost by one point, Northwestern lost on a fake FG in OT, & TTU had to score twice in the last 5 minutes to come from behind against MSU.

this is how I feel, based on the type of team we have this season

plethora of weapons on offense

a defense that is both stout and quick (fast)

plenty of experience despite being a young team overall

This Oklahoma team is ready for anything

Herr Scholz
8/16/2010, 04:19 PM
The Buckeyes beat a darn good Oregon team pretty handily in the Rose Bowl. They're a good team.

ndpruitt03
8/16/2010, 04:28 PM
Picking OU is just as good as picking about anyone else at this point. OU plays a conference that is down and is one of the few teams in that conference that returns a ton of guys on both sides of the ball. I think the only other team is probably A&M and we beat them by 60 something a year ago and 60 something the year before that.

BoulderSooner79
8/16/2010, 05:31 PM
Fair enough. I retain the right, however, to regard most of the SEC with football respect....and most the B10 with near withering contempt.

You appear to know whereof you speak. Please educate me: what about tOSU is particularly strong? I am probably displaying my ignorance, but I didn't see anything that stood out when I watched them last year.

The SEC has quietly slipped the last couple of years. Yes, they won it all because they had 2 of the very best. But the next tier teams like Vols, UGA, Auburn and even LSU have dropped to just above average. The big10 is ruled by tOSU because they consistently have top recruiting classes and are well coached. Lots of recent buckeys in the NFL. They have suffered from ultra conservative coaching in big games when the other guy has just as much talent, but they are still solid. PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin are pretty decent 2nd tier teams that would be very tough road games for anyone.