PDA

View Full Version : Big hitter...the Lama

Okla-homey
8/15/2010, 01:26 PM
Golf in Nepal!

Everest.

The name alone conjures up images of weathered Sherpas, frozen tundra and the world’s greatest explorers racing each other to the top.

Also: golf.

Welcome to Nepalese Heli-Golf, a guided tour of the highest tee-off spot on the planet, taking reservations now.

In short, it’s Nepal’s answer to Pebble Beach, settled 14,500 feet above sea level and just 15 miles from Mount Everest. You’ll start out in Kathmandu, where you’ll take an early-morning helicopter ride over Everest’s base camp and up into the clouds. Destination: the Kongde Lodge.

The course here is only two holes, but that thin air will give your drive some serious hang time. (Think of the Himalayas as the moon, and you’re an astronaut.) But be warned: if you slice, your ball will be headed straight for a gorge—so don’t count on getting it back without a Sherpa.

After that, you’ll head back to your hotel, tour the temples of Kathmandu and prep for your crucial golf excursion the next day. A full 18 holes await you on the more down-to-earth golf course at the nearby Gokarna Lodge—the former course of the Nepalese Royal Family.

No Sherpas required.

Read more: http://www.urbandaddy.com/jt/adventures/10974/Nepalese_Heli_Golf_Golfing_in_the_Himalayas_Jetset _JT_Destination#ixzz0whUHVzzf

picasso
8/15/2010, 01:37 PM
Yeah, that won't defile any sacred mountains or anything.

XingTheRubicon
8/15/2010, 02:34 PM
into a 10,000 ft crevace right at the base of this glacier...and you know what he says?

Chuck Bao
8/15/2010, 03:55 PM
Nepal is on my list of must-see places. If I do manage it, it wouldn't be to play golf or climb some mountain, though. Kathmandu seems like a very interesting place and interesting culture. I get along so well with Buddhists.

And, Homey, props on the title of the thread. I think you know that Buddhist monks are only allowed a few earthly possessions and I don't think that golf clubs are among them. But it is a funny image to imagine a Lama swinging a golf club in his saffron robes and sandals. In my opinion, Buddhism is so introspective that it can take a good joke and laugh about it, unlike many other major world religions.

It is quite expensive to visit Nepal, but it would be less so for me because Thai Air has direct flights from Bangkok to Kathmandu. Several years ago, I booked a holiday there, but unfortunately they had that political uprising against the royal family at that time and I had to cancel my trip.

I have wanted to visit Nepal for several years. One of my former colleagues, a British man, served in the British military in a Gurkas Rifles unit, as an officer. I am not sure how a Brit was allowed in. Maybe it was because his older brother was a member of the House of Lords and he wanted to serve with the toughest summsabitches that the British Army had. His stories were fascinating and I would occasionally see some Gurkas when they were posted in Hong Kong before the '97 handover of Hong Kong to China. They may be short in stature but they are clearly tough as nails.

The history of the Gurkas is very interesting and I think, as a part-time military historian, Homey, you may agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha_Brigade

Okla-homey
8/15/2010, 04:51 PM
The history of the Gurkas is very interesting and I think, as a part-time military historian, Homey, you may agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha_Brigade

I do agree. I have an Indian friend who commanded a battalion of Ghurkas. They tend to post them up north, on the frontier with China. They are tough as a sumbuck.

A little Ghurka legend.

During the darkest days of WWII, and British brigadier approached a Ghurka battalion regardng their willingness to participate in an airborne assault. See, paratrooper service, pretty much the world over, is strictly volunteer.

The men, all 600 of them, were standing in formation, or, as the Brits say, "on parade" when the Brigadier said,

"See hear men, we're in a tight spot you see. The bloody Nips are moving towards is through the mountains about a hundred miles to our north, but at the rate the buggers are moving, they'll be hear within the week. HQ has decided an airdrop of this battalion in a mountain meadow just to one side of their avenue of advance would set us up for an eggsellent opportunity to ambush the bahstuds. Now, I shall turn my back and all who are willing to jump from aircraft in order to be in on this show, take two steps forward."

He trned around, and on the sergeant major barked..."See here you lot, you heard the Brigadier! Two steps foward if you're game for our little jumping party!"

The Brigadier turned back around and was disappointed only about a third of men had stepped forward. He decided to make a good show of it, and said, "Very well then. That's fine. Now, you volunteers prepare to fall-out and report to the supply section to draw your parachutes."

At this point, the Brigadier noticed the men who hadn't volunteered squirming about, which was very uncharacteristically undisciplined for Ghurkas. One stepped forward and called out, "Sir, those of us who did not volunteer for the jump beg to be given another chance to volunteer." The Brigadier responded, "what's that you say?" The man then said, "we did not know we would be given parachutes!"

StoopTroup
8/15/2010, 07:19 PM
Are there Liquor Stores in Nepal?

If not....will Serpas pack liquor up to base camp?

49r
8/16/2010, 08:23 AM
"So I said HEY! Lama! How about a little something...you know...for the effort?"

Okla-homey
8/16/2010, 10:35 AM
"So I said HEY! Lama! How about a little something...you know...for the effort?"

There'll be no tip, but on your deathbed, you willl achieve, total consciousness.:D

sooneron
8/16/2010, 10:45 AM
So I got that going for me... which is nice.