PDA

View Full Version : SI: "Hammer" article

RoaminSooner
8/14/2010, 07:42 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/wires/08/12/2060.ap.fbc.oklahoma.s.hammer.0885/

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -Ronnell Lewis' teammates at Oklahoma have learned to recognize the sound of the "Hammer'' at work.
Instead of driving nails, the Sooners' hard-hitting linebacker excels at smashing opponents - and sometimes teammates in practice - into the ground. Enough so that coach Bob Stoops gave him his moniker after the Sooners' Sun Bowl win last season.
"He's the most violent hitter I've been around,'' said defensive coordinator Brent Venables, whose former pupils include two Butkus Award winners and a handful of Big 12 defensive players of the year.
"I haven't been all over the place, OK, but I've been here and I've had some good players and he's as violent as they come.''
Venables even told the Sooners' incoming freshmen that they were in for a treat by getting to witness Lewis, a sophomore with only one start under his belt, at work. He describes Lewis as having a natural gift of being able to generate speed and power and still hit people flush with regularity.
And when it happens, it's music to the ears of any defensive player.
"His hitting is - I don't even know what type of level that is. It just seems like on every contact he makes, it's a hard hit,'' freshman safety Tony Jefferson said.
"You know when it's Hammer. It's a unique sound. It's not just a regular hit. You know when Hammer hits someone.''
Lewis brings a different pedigree than the NFL-caliber linebackers who have come through Oklahoma's system in recent years. He played eight-man football at Dewar High School in eastern Oklahoma but was dominant enough that he caught the eyes of the Sooners' coaching staff and recruiting experts across the nation.
As a junior, he rushed for 2,000 yards and 40 touchdowns while also picking off 11 passes as a safety. When Venables got the chance to meet him, he was even more impressed than when he watched tape of Lewis dominating overmatched competition.
"He walked in the room and he looked like a million bucks,'' Venables said. "He looked like The Incredible Hulk when he walked into the room, and he had a fabulous smile, a fabulous demeanor, a great presence to him. I couldn't find a person that would say a bad thing about him.''
Lewis grew up with six sisters and one brother in Hoffman before moving a few miles west to Dewar, a slightly bigger but still a small town. There, he got involved in basketball, track, power lifting and rodeo before excelling at football.
And when football practice was over, he'd go to his coach's ranch to ride horses and sometimes go fishing - hobbies he'll still pursue as a release from all those hard hits.
It's that background that Venables credits with Lewis' physical strength.
"He learned that out there wrestlin' steers,'' Venables said. "He's just got country strength to him.''
Lewis, the third-born of his siblings, can remember thinking when he was young that he should do something to help his father support the family. By his sophomore year of high school, he started thinking football might be the answer.
"I never thought it would be OU,'' Lewis said. "It was a dream that came true.''
Now, he's the first one to go to college, and he hopes football takes him even farther.
"I just wanted to make a change for my family. We grew up struggling and I just want to try and change that path, go get a good education and hopefully go to the next level,'' Lewis said.
Not that he views life in his close-knit clan in a bad light.
"We didn't have certain things that other kids and families had,'' Lewis said. "We had a roof over our heads and clothes on our back and food, but there's just some things we did struggle with from time to time over the years. But we overcame that.''
That means there's still work to do, and Lewis has been more than willing to do it. Stoops complimented him for being one of the standard-setters in the weight room for the Sooners.
"Ronnell's one of those guys that's a physical phenom like an Adrian (Peterson) that just can't get enough. He just loves it,'' Stoops said. "The guys see it. They see the work ethic and the attitude, and then he backs it up on the field. He's a very physical player when he plays.''
As a result, Lewis has Oklahoma's coaches looking for ways to get him on the field more often. Among the possibilities: putting him in more of a defensive end's role when the Sooners use a 3-4 scheme.
"Wherever the coaches put me, I'm going to try and do the best I can,'' Lewis said, "and really just work hard and show them that I can play here or there and give it my all.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/wires/08/12/2060.ap.fbc.oklahoma.s.hammer.0885/#ixzz0wdAm5yKs

Boomer!!
8/14/2010, 08:07 PM
Ronnell is just a beast. I bet he would be one bad running back if we were to put him there! I hope he lives up to all his hype, I believe he will.

Crucifax Autumn
8/15/2010, 12:23 AM
What a great guy.

ouduckhunter
8/15/2010, 01:05 AM
What a stud!! Great article!

GKeeper316
8/15/2010, 03:53 PM
quote of the day...

"At first, I thought he had cement in his helmet," said wide receivers coach Jay Norvell. "He hit one guy on kickoff return from Texas A&M, the guy fell down three times while trying to get to the sidelines.

"It was one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen."

BOOMER

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 09:43 AM
I want him to intercept the ball and then run over some people on his way to 6. Then I want him to do it again.
Football Gods, are you listening?

rainiersooner
8/16/2010, 10:00 AM
I love that he wrestled steers. Would like to see some more of that in October.

badger
8/16/2010, 10:07 AM
quote of the day...

"At first, I thought he had cement in his helmet," said wide receivers coach Jay Norvell. "He hit one guy on kickoff return from Texas A&M, the guy fell down three times while trying to get to the sidelines.

"It was one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen."

BOOMER

Please tell me it was the 12th man :D

I am very excited for Ronnell and Travis Lewis on defense this season. And Jamarkus. And Jeremy. And many, many others :)

Rocko
8/16/2010, 10:08 AM
So Lewis walks in the room like this

http://cdn.vype.com/media/images/1229723396-685119167.jpg

and coach Venables is all like this

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/fabulous-dude.jpg

NCSooner18
8/16/2010, 03:20 PM
Might be fun to watch him as a short yardage back....blocking or running.

Tigeman
8/16/2010, 06:05 PM
I'm just hoping the kid doesn't hurt himself! :(

He goes in w/ such impact, you know eventually he's gonna catch the wrong side of his own blow! I hope not though.

The good thing is we're gonna make lots of ESPiN's highlights this year w/ him on the field! :D

BoulderSooner79
8/16/2010, 06:17 PM
I just hope all the press doesn't go to his head. He seems like a pretty grounded young man, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've seen players that get so focused on the big hit, they forget to play good football first. I think that happened to Taylor Mays - the safety at USC. He was a beast his first year, but then in later games I watched he just seemed to wait for his chance to clobber someone. He wiffed on tackles when the runner juked him and missed chances for INTs because he didn't keep his head up. And the types of hits he delivered are illegal in the NFL as he definitely was going to the head. Got away with it in college, but it would be flags and fines at the next level. I've watched other players that i believe suffered from the big hit reputation too, but Mays is the most recent.

SunnySooner
8/16/2010, 08:41 PM
I remember Stoops talking about Ronnell on signing day, talking about him being from such a small town, etc., and Stoops just said something to the effect of "that guy, he's just got a presence, you can tell he's...he's just got something", and then later, about 8-man football, it was like, "a good hit is a good hit, doesn't matter how many players are on the field." Anyway, whatever he said was enough to make me keep my eye on R. Lewis and it wasn't long before you could see what the coaches saw.

I hope he has a great year, I hope he doesn't SERIOUSLY injure someone, like, permanently or whatever, just some major bruising is good. :D

GKeeper316
8/16/2010, 11:36 PM
I remember Stoops talking about Ronnell on signing day, talking about him being from such a small town, etc., and Stoops just said something to the effect of "that guy, he's just got a presence, you can tell he's...he's just got something", and then later, about 8-man football, it was like, "a good hit is a good hit, doesn't matter how many players are on the field." Anyway, whatever he said was enough to make me keep my eye on R. Lewis and it wasn't long before you could see what the coaches saw.

I hope he has a great year, I hope he doesn't SERIOUSLY injure someone, like, permanently or whatever, just some major bruising is good. :D

i only hope he seriously injures cows... ill never forget how those worthless sons of whores cheered louder when they saw bradford rolling on the ground holding his shoulder.

Crucifax Autumn
8/17/2010, 12:24 AM
We're better than them though.

BoulderSooner79
8/17/2010, 12:53 AM
We're better than them though.

Yes.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/17/2010, 01:50 AM
enjoy him this season because if he has a good year he is gone to the next level to help support the family.

C&CDean
8/17/2010, 02:44 PM
WTF do you know about him?

CaliBornSoonerBred
8/17/2010, 03:24 PM
i only hope he seriously injures cows... ill never forget how those worthless sons of whores cheered louder when they saw bradford rolling on the ground holding his shoulder.

I can't say I want to see ANY kid get hurt, including a whorn, but them cheering Sam as he tried to get up, and went back down infuriated me. Most of the whorns I mentioned this to stated that it was the student section and this was the excuse they stuck by. I get it, students can be the ugly face of a fan base but you start to get a name like the dumbarses at Tech when you do crap like that.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/17/2010, 03:53 PM
enjoy him this season because if he has a good year he is gone to the next level to help support the family.

Arent you the guy obsessed with Ray Drew?!? ...Anyways, Ronnell was only a true freshman last year so we'll get at least 2 more years outta him. Opposing offense's gotta love that!

Tigeman
8/17/2010, 03:58 PM
I can't say I want to see ANY kid get hurt, including a whorn, but them cheering Sam as he tried to get up, and went back down infuriated me. Most of the whorns I mentioned this to stated that it was the student section and this was the excuse they stuck by. I get it, students can be the ugly face of a fan base but you start to get a name like the dumbarses at Tech when you do crap like that.

I was at my lake house during the BYU game. We had one :stunned: fan with us. The idiot cheered and started laughing when Bradford went down. Wasn't even a student. So the Whorns aren't the only idiots.

Although to be fair, I do expect this crap more out of Aggy than I do *.

CaliBornSoonerBred
8/17/2010, 04:51 PM
I was at my lake house during the BYU game. We had one :stunned: fan with us. The idiot cheered and started laughing when Bradford went down. Wasn't even a student. So the Whorns aren't the only idiots.

Although to be fair, I do expect this crap more out of Aggy than I do *.

Completely agree, I expect it out of classless programs who've never won anything like aggy but * at least should show some class but that's what I get for expecting something like that out of the majority of the * fan base. Although, most have had nothing but respect for Sam.....no matter how much we hate each other.

Fred Garvin
8/19/2010, 11:12 PM
I will be transferring my mancrush from Adrian Peterson to Ronnell Lewis this season.

We've had a great run AD, but it's time for me to move on.