PDA

View Full Version : 105F in the shade in Tulsey

Okla-homey
8/14/2010, 04:44 PM
I don't care who ya are, that's hottt!

Maybe Inhofe's wrong, there may be something to this global warming dealio. ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2010, 04:48 PM
Obviously, because it never ever gets this hot in Oklahoma in the middle of August.

yermom
8/14/2010, 04:55 PM
i remember 114 as a young lad in Tulsa in July, i believe

Crucifax Autumn
8/14/2010, 05:30 PM
Only 105 here too.

delhalew
8/14/2010, 05:41 PM
Our A/C was out yesterday. Thank god we got the part we needed.

Harry Beanbag
8/14/2010, 05:58 PM
It's been 105 for 2 straight months.

royalfan5
8/14/2010, 06:01 PM
It's been 105 for 2 straight months.

But it's a dry heat right?

Okla-homey
8/14/2010, 06:01 PM
Obviously, because it never ever gets this hot in Oklahoma in the middle of August.

Don't worry Sic, I'm not going all global warming/climate chang-y on ya. I still think the whole anthropromorphic climate change theory is bull****e. I do believe climate changes, of its own accord, and has done for eleventy-bajillion years. But what we humans do, or spew, has precious little to do with it. Exhibit "A": dinosaur extinction. Exhibit "B": the last "Ice Age" which occurred, and ended, long before humans started spewing anything.

That said, it's hotter than the hinges on the back door of Hell and I'm sick of it. White people are not suited for this kind of heat.

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2010, 06:21 PM
Don't worry Sic, I'm not going all global warming/climate chang-y on ya. I still think the whole anthropromorphic climate change theory is bull****e. I do believe climate changes, of its own accord, and has done for eleventy-bajillion years. But what we humans do, or spew, has precious little to do with it. Exhibit "A": dinosaur extinction. Exhibit "B": the last "Ice Age" which occurred, and ended, long before humans started spewing anything.

That said, it's hotter than the hinges on the back door of Hell and I'm sick of it. White people are not suited for this kind of heat.

Yep. The humidity is what's so bad here. There's so much vegetation in Vicksburg that the entire city is like one giant greenhouse.

Okla-homey
8/14/2010, 06:26 PM
Yep. The humidity is what's so bad here. There's so much vegetation in Vicksburg that the entire city is like one giant greenhouse.

Would that veg be kudzu? No kiddin, if you watch it closely for a few minutes on a hot, sunny day, you can actually observe its growth.

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2010, 06:29 PM
Would that veg be kudzu? No kiddin, if you watch it closely for a few minutes on a hot, sunny day, you can actually observe its growth.

Yep, that's exactly what it is. There are parts of Vicksburg that look like something out of Jurassic Park with all the kudzu. I keep expecting to see a velociraptor.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs292.snc3/28248_409545798483_511923483_4220386_7786293_n.jpg

Okla-homey
8/14/2010, 07:12 PM
My wife, who is from SC, an area literally covered with the stuff, often says; "the thing about kudzu is, it can cover a whole lot of ugly." As in, abandoned house trailers, washing machines, cars, etc. :D

Okla-homey
8/14/2010, 07:13 PM
Yep, that's exactly what it is. There are parts of Vicksburg that look like something out of Jurassic Park with all the kudzu. I keep expecting to see a velociraptor.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs292.snc3/28248_409545798483_511923483_4220386_7786293_n.jpg

That looks literally like brontosauruses looking up from dinner.

jkjsooner
8/14/2010, 08:24 PM
I don't care who ya are, that's hottt!

Maybe Inhofe's wrong, there may be something to this global warming dealio. ;)

1. It's a pet peeve of mine when people say "in the shade." By definition the official temperature is measured in the shade so saying so is redundant. It's also a pet peeve of mine when someone at a football game puts a thermometer on a football field and talks about how it's 120 or whatever. Again, that isn't an apples/apples comparison. When we experience a 105 day we associate that with what we feel out in the sun - sometimes walking down an asphalt parking lot.

2. As for Global Warming, of course a heat wave is almost irrelevant but, frankly, every time we get a snowstorm the deniers come out in force so it's only fair for the believers to throw it back at them...

One other thing, as for cyclic climate change in Earth's history, the difference now is the rate of change. We've never experienced anything like the rate of change we've had over the last 100 years. That is something that needs to be addressed. Maybe you question the numbers, the ways of measuring historical temperatures, or the significance of the rate of change but it does need to be addressed.

Breadburner
8/14/2010, 08:40 PM
We had 40 consecutive days over 100 in 1980......

SanJoaquinSooner
8/14/2010, 08:41 PM
It's a b!tch in San Joaquin County today ....

High: 83°
Low: 55°

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/sanjoaquinsooner/hot.jpg

delhalew
8/14/2010, 09:38 PM

lmao. A buddy of mine in Atlanta went on a month long vacation and kudzu ate his car:D

Eielson
8/14/2010, 09:43 PM
It's all the way down to 93 right now for me.

picasso
8/14/2010, 10:20 PM
One other thing, as for cyclic climate change in Earth's history, the difference now is the rate of change. We've never experienced anything like the rate of change we've had over the last 100 years. That is something that needs to be addressed. Maybe you question the numbers, the ways of measuring historical temperatures, or the significance of the rate of change but it does need to be addressed.

Let's address it. It's hot.

Ok, now what?

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2010, 10:22 PM
I'm an a**hole...

I walk around in the summer time saying, "How about this heat?"

StoopTroup
8/14/2010, 10:24 PM
I'm an a**hole...

I think I know why you aren't riding around saying it now. :D

SicEmBaylor
8/14/2010, 10:27 PM
I think I know why you aren't riding around saying it now. :D

Now who's the a**hole? :D

StoopTroup
8/14/2010, 10:34 PM
Now who's the a**hole? :D
LOL. BTW ....keep your clothes on Home Skillet.

M-qN6TCY85c

Okla-homey
8/15/2010, 09:51 AM
Its a pet peeve of mine when someone says something like the below.

One other thing, as for cyclic climate change in Earth's history, the difference now is the rate of change. We've never experienced anything like the rate of change we've had over the last 100 years.

HTF do you, ar anyone else, know, for a fact, "we've never experienced anything like the rate of change we've had over the last 100 years." How long have we been dutifully recording temperatures accurately anyway? A century? HTF do we know how hot it got during old King Tut, or Henry VIII's time? Not to mention Og the Caveman's era.

That's right, you can admit it. It's okay. WE DON'T.:D

jkjsooner
8/15/2010, 10:55 AM
Its a pet peeve of mine when someone says something like the below.

HTF do you, ar anyone else, know, for a fact, "we've never experienced anything like the rate of change we've had over the last 100 years." How long have we been dutifully recording temperatures accurately anyway? A century? HTF do we know how hot it got during old King Tut, or Henry VIII's time? Not to mention Og the Caveman's era.

That's right, you can admit it. It's okay. WE DON'T.:D

From Wikipedia:

Proxy measurements can be used to reconstruct the temperature record before the historical period. Quantities such as tree ring widths, coral growth, isotope variations in ice cores, ocean and lake sediments, cave deposits, fossils, ice cores, borehole temperatures, and glacier length records are correlated with climatic fluctuations. From these, proxy temperature reconstructions of the last 2000 years have been performed for the northern hemisphere, and over shorter time scales for the southern hemisphere and tropics.

I'm not saying you have to believe in the accuracy of this but I doubt either you or I know enough to provide valid criticisms of it.

I would argue when scientists obtain this information from many different sources and they tend to align, the confidence in the estimates goes up. It's just like the various dating mechanisms, young earth believers find all ways to attack any one dating mechanism but ignore the fact that multiple independent lines of analysis yield close to the same results.

Either way, as I said you can't merely say that temperature always varies without accounting for the historical rate of change. At the minimum any discussion on how it was cold and hot in the past has to at least address that the person making the claims doesn't believe in our methodologies to obtain historical readings and therefore historical rates of change are meaningless.

Disclaimer: I recognize that 2000 years is a very short period of time and that opens itself up to criticism. Well, at least it's a short period of time to everyone except the young earth crowd...

HBick
8/15/2010, 11:27 AM
I'm an a**hole...

I bet you also make handicapped faces at handicapped people

StoopTroup
8/15/2010, 07:26 PM
Everything you all want to know is in the book of secrets.

http://illogator.com/brightwork/images/4864490588.JPG

Okla-homey
8/15/2010, 08:01 PM
The good news is, the Lord turned on the A/C. Its like 85F out there now. With cool north breezes. yay!

olevetonahill
8/15/2010, 08:43 PM
The good news is, the Lord turned on the A/C. Its like 85F out there now. With cool north breezes. yay!

84 here but it only feels like 95
Wister fer the Win :D

Jacie
8/16/2010, 08:30 AM
If it is 105 in the shade, I advise you to stay out of it . . .

As for climate change, let's see, polar ice caps, continental ice sheets and glaciers are melting at unprecedented (that means in human history no one has ever seen it) rates. Winters, which on a local scale display wide fluctuations in temperature/precipitation, are getting shorter in duration while warm weather is lasting longer (here the grape farmers brought in the harvest two weeks early this year alone) and species acclimated to temperate zones are being observed in regions way north of these. These are things an average person can see happening. Things you can't see, such as the weight of scientific evidence worldwide, is (to anyone who actually paid attention in school) staggering. I understand why people don't want to accept it. Change is not a good thing when the topic is climate. No one wants to believe that there is something going on and it is going to affect pretty much all 6 billion of us and not a good way. Yeah, climate changes happen naturally, the evidence of it is all around if you know what to look for. Actually living during a time of rapid climate change is something else all together and somewhat unsettling. That we even have this debate is evidence of that. The people reading this probably won't live to see coast lines inundated and certain parts of the Earth made completely uninhabitable because we cannot live under constant temperatures in excess of 120 degrees Farenheit, not to mention the shift in climate zones as weather patterns adjust to the changes in heat flow. But it is happening, people. Your belief or not has no effect on that fact, only how you repond to it.

texaspokieokie
8/16/2010, 08:52 AM
yep, but it'll be much nicer in hannawa falls NY.

texaspokieokie
8/16/2010, 08:54 AM
only 103 here yesterday & the rangers had a day game. only had to carry out about 40 people.
(don't think the rangers had any choice, if they'd played @ nite, no tv)

OhU1
8/16/2010, 08:56 AM
How long have we been dutifully recording temperatures accurately anyway? A century?

Wow.

badger
8/16/2010, 10:03 AM
I used to be the opposite of SicEm when I first moved down here. After dying in August/September/October heat, I continued wearing shirts and tanks through December, much to the shock of my fellow students.

Alas, everyone adapts eventually. No longer do Oklahoma summers kill me (but they aren't pleasant unless you're in air conditioning!) but winters here feel very cold once again.

Jacie
8/16/2010, 03:02 PM
yep, but it'll be much nicer in hannawa falls NY.

People here start to wilt before the mercury hits 90 . . .

Eielson
8/16/2010, 07:31 PM
I went outside today and thought it felt great. I went inside and found that it was all the way down to 97.

KABOOKIE
8/25/2010, 08:52 PM
NWS Norman:

41 this morning in Ft. Supply, the 5th coldest August temp in OK history

Harry Beanbag
8/25/2010, 11:04 PM
NWS Norman:

41 this morning in Ft. Supply, the 5th coldest August temp in OK history

:les: GLOBAL WARMING!!!11!1!!

;)

oudavid1
8/26/2010, 12:41 AM
Southwest Air Quarterback-Receiver Camp 2008, July 21,22,and 23rd. 7am-330pm outside. hardest 3 days of my life. So this isnt that bad. 14 guys from my school camped out during our brakes in the shade, all together we drank roughly 340 bottles of water and 200 bottles of gatoraide/powerade. I never had to pee. And im 140lbs. it was rough.

But today, Get in the car, role all da windows down, blast the A/C, let all the hot air out, 3 minutes later its already cooling down.

Best weather in the world we have here in Oklahoma. Love-It.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 01:21 AM
105 degrees in the shade. Reminds me of a song...

Oh, how do you grow kudzu? Drop it and run.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 01:23 AM
Here in AZ it's 92 degrees (and it's about midnight). But we don't have any kudzu.

SicEmBaylor
8/26/2010, 01:24 AM
Here in AZ it's 92 degrees (and it's about midnight). But we don't have any kudzu.

...yet.

texaspokieokie
8/26/2010, 09:13 AM
what is "kudzu" ???

C&CDean
8/26/2010, 10:58 AM
Great Dusty Chaps song: "Well it's a-hunnert and ten in Gila Bend, in Buckeye it's a-hunnert and two, summers' here right around the bend..." or something like that.

I damn near froze to death this morning driving to work.

texaspokieokie
8/26/2010, 11:46 AM
my sister & bro-in-law lived in the desert in CA (ridgecrest/china lake) for

51 years. they knew heat.

that is a Navy base in middle of Mojave.

civil servants working for Navy.

Leroy Lizard
8/26/2010, 12:18 PM
From Wikipedia:

I'm not saying you have to believe in the accuracy of this but I doubt either you or I know enough to provide valid criticisms of it.

It isn't hard to gain considerable agreement with measurements containing huge error bars.

And sometimes the measurements align because the scientists want them to align.