PDA

View Full Version : Who would you choose to replace...

The Ghost of Mex
8/13/2010, 11:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/critical_phil/bobbarry.jpg

or your best impersonation.

Mississippi Sooner
8/13/2010, 11:41 AM
"Geeminy Christmas!"

But John's an old guy now, too.

BoomerJack
8/13/2010, 11:46 AM
"Geeminy Christmas!"

But John's an old guy now, too.

John could have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel and he would be better than Mr. Berry.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/13/2010, 12:48 PM
LMAO! You should use that as your avatar! :D

OK2U
8/13/2010, 12:53 PM
"Marcus Murray takes the pitch at the twenty, check that, DeMarcus Dupree is at the fifteen, check that, Fred MacMurray is at the ten, check this, check that, check your coat and check your hat, check please and checkmate, touchdown Sooners!"

yankee
8/13/2010, 01:30 PM
"Marcus Murray takes the pitch at the twenty, check that, DeMarcus Dupree is at the fifteen, check that, Fred MacMurray is at the ten, check this, check that, check your coat and check your hat, check please and checkmate, touchdown Sooners!"

hahahahaha

goingoneight
8/13/2010, 02:21 PM
Of the current players, I've heard the following...

Landry = Laundry
Ryan Broyles =Bryan Royals
DeMarco Murray = DeMarcus Murphy
DeJuan Miller = Von Miller (they're not the same)
Adrian Taylor = Austin Taylor
Jonathan Nelson = Jonathan Wilson
Mossis Madu = "DeMarco Murray... check that... Dominique Franks... actually, I believe it was Madu, Merv."

I still think the best was "Reggie Kelly" against UAB. One of two games that Reggie Smith played WR and Malcom Kelly was on the other side of the field. Not only did Reggie Kelly have a few nice grabs against UAB, he played against Washington the next week, too. :D

ndpruitt03
8/13/2010, 03:03 PM
John Brooks was horrible. I've got some of his old tapes from Tulsa Sports Animal a few years ago, I don't get how anyone could like him. He had a great call on TDs but that was it. You had no idea what the score or down was for 99% of the game. I do think Bob Barry needs to retire and I respect him a lot. And this was from his best games.

I've heard rumors over the last couple of years of them getting a guy from Georgia(can't remember his name), or Bob Carpenter after Bob Barry quits/retires. I'm more excited about the stuff I've heard from the Georgia guy. I'll try and find out his name later.

ouwasp
8/14/2010, 01:21 AM
One thing I liked about Brooks was when a runner broke into the open he would inject "could go!" into the call. Crap, with Bob Barry you never know. He made the Dark Nineties even worse than they were, if that were possible.

I rarely listen to games on the radio anymore.....

yankee
8/14/2010, 01:55 AM

Landry = Laundry
Mossis Madu = "DeMarco Murray... check that... Dominique Franks... actually, I believe it was Madu, Merv."

I still think the best was "Reggie Kelly" against UAB. One of two games that Reggie Smith played WR and Malcom Kelly was on the other side of the field. Not only did Reggie Kelly have a few nice grabs against UAB, he played against Washington the next week, too. :D

cannot. stop. laughing.

ohhhhhh bob barry.

Mississippi Sooner
8/14/2010, 05:57 AM
I have no doubt that the reason I have good memories of John Brooks doing play by play for OU is because he was the radio voice during The King's glory days. Back when the Sooners could only be on tv a couple of times a year, and my parents rarely had more than a couple of nickles to rub together, the radio was where I "saw" most of the games.

Funny thing, Brooks was such a legend in Ada that even the local yokels doing the Ada High games would mimic his catchphrase. I have a feeling there were other high school radio guys who were doing that at the time around Oklahoma.

Breadburner
8/14/2010, 07:37 AM
K.C. Lupe.....

Crimsontothecore
8/14/2010, 08:19 AM
I don't know who will replace Barry but I'm convinced he will have the job until HE'S ready to retire. I like Bob Barry and think he's a great man. Even his miscues are partly because he invests so much of himself emotionally into the Sooners. It's obvious he is an OU fanatic first and foremost.
Even thorough the mispronunciations and snags, he IS the voice of the Sooners to me. Besides, Merv is always there to help clear the fog for the listeners.

I do know that when he does retire, even if his replacement is young and accurate, I will miss the emotion and voice of Bob Barry.

Widescreen
8/14/2010, 09:28 AM
I don't know who will replace Barry but I'm convinced he will have the job until HE'S ready to retire. I like Bob Barry and think he's a great man. Even his miscues are partly because he invests so much of himself emotionally into the Sooners. It's obvious he is an OU fanatic first and foremost.
Even thorough the mispronunciations and snags, he IS the voice of the Sooners to me. Besides, Merv is always there to help clear the fog for the listeners.

I do know that when he does retire, even if his replacement is young and accurate, I will miss the emotion and voice of Bob Barry.

I won't. His "mispronunciations", "snags" and "fog" are embarrassing for one of the greatest programs in college football history. If I did as poor a job, I'd get fired. For some reason, Boren/Castiglione don't seem to mind the problems. I'm sure he's a good guy and was a good representative of OU in years past but it's long since time for a change.

jkjsooner
8/14/2010, 10:01 PM

How many years was he the PBP guy for OSU?

We all get old and every one of us will reach a point where we can no longer perform at our jobs. It's part of life. Hopefully we will all have the presence of mind to to realize it and leave on our own terms.

Having a love for OU isn't enough. OU fans who are forced to listen to the game on the radio deserve more. There are plenty of young guys who would die to start their own 50 year career broadcasting a major university's games. What if some old guy was hanging around when Barry was first looking for his big break?

The thing that really irks me is when Jr. or others talk about how we owe Barry this and that. Nobody owes Barry anything other than a nice going away ceremony and maybe a lifetime service award or something. We're not running a charity for Bob Barry here.

Ideally Barry would realize that he can't cut it and would leave on his own terms. Clearly, after 15 years of horrible PBP it's obvious that that is not going to happen. OU has given Barry plenty of opportunities to leave w/o getting his feelings hurt. At this point if Barry is incapable of realizing that he is no longer anywhere near competent then, well, it's his own fault if his feelings get hurt.

What do you think would happen if Joe Montana kept coming back year after year to play football. Do you think the NFL would keep him around at 50 just so his feelings wouldn't get hurt? Hell no.

ndpruitt03
8/14/2010, 10:06 PM
I still listen to BBS over about 90% of the TV guys today. But that says how bad the guys are on TV not how good BBS is.

TopDawg
8/14/2010, 10:57 PM
You had no idea what the score or down was for 99% of the game.

I haven't listened to enough other radio people to know, but this might be an old-school/new-school deal. Old school radio guys grew up in the days before on-screen graphics told you everything you wanted to know all the time. Watch an old TV broadcast (even from the late 80's, maybe even early 90's) and you won't know what the score is or what down it is either. You actually had to pay attention to know those things. :eek:

SoonerLB
8/14/2010, 11:22 PM
I can understand both sides on this one, but I would probably have a little more respect for the man if he would face reality and step aside. It would allow him to leave with dignity rather than being laughed out and/or being unceremoniously dumped. I'm used to listening to him, so I have learned to tolerate his ineptness, but it still gets frustrating at times.
And since I live among mostly Jayhawk and Wildcat fans, I can attest to the fact thay they find him an embarrassment to the OU program, as well as the source of many jokes.

oudavid1
8/14/2010, 11:54 PM
Brent Musberger!!!!!!!!

ndpruitt03
8/15/2010, 09:07 AM
I haven't listened to enough other radio people to know, but this might be an old-school/new-school deal. Old school radio guys grew up in the days before on-screen graphics told you everything you wanted to know all the time. Watch an old TV broadcast (even from the late 80's, maybe even early 90's) and you won't know what the score is or what down it is either. You actually had to pay attention to know those things. :eek:

But radio hasn't changed that much. You can't find out the score, down, distance, etc on radio today unless the announcer says it. That really hasn't changed in radio for 100 years. Well if you have satellite radio it'll tell you the score now, but still if you are just listening to the radio you need regular updates of these things.

People that think Brooks was great only remember his TD calls, and the fact that he was the PBP guy during a great era the mid 80s. They don't remember that he wasn't really that good at PBP.

soonerborn30
8/15/2010, 09:15 AM
^^^This^^^

My dad did radio for a little while, and it was ingrained in him to repeat the score, time left, down and distance, etc. every 1 to 1.5 minutes. Every time he got a chance basically. It drives him CRAZY to listen to BBS. Honestly I don't really remember listening to anyone but him on the radio, so I have no idea what else is out there. I just know there's got to be someone better out there.

Crimsontothecore
8/15/2010, 09:28 PM
I guess I'm just not as critical as the rest of you. I've listened to more Bob Barry OU broadcasts for both B-ball and football than I can count. I have not once felt "lost" while listening. If you don't know that he means Demarco Murray when he says Marcus Dupree then you're probably a pretty stupid OU fan to begin with and have no room to criticize.

The Ghost of Mex
8/15/2010, 09:53 PM
I guess I'm just not as critical as the rest of you. I've listened to more Bob Barry OU broadcasts for both B-ball and football than I can count. I have not once felt "lost" while listening. If you don't know that he means Demarco Murray when he says Marcus Dupree then you're probably a pretty stupid OU fan to begin with and have no room to criticize.

You're BBJ aren't you???:D

oudavid1
8/15/2010, 10:11 PM
You're BBJ aren't you???:D

lol. I can agree with him though, it does seem like people exaggerate a little but with BBS.

And i like him, way better than the dbag yelling pistols firing!

sooneron
8/16/2010, 10:13 AM

I must be awesome to accept such sub-mediocrity. We should just call you Lowexpectationstothecore.
Bob is not good. He hasn't been for a while now and he needs to step aside, pronto. Merv too. Merv is occasionally funny, but he just comes off as a bumpkin most of the time. Listening to them is like tuning into some public access channel out of a retirement home.

KantoSooner
8/16/2010, 04:28 PM
As to BBS and Merv, I guess the best comment was made by a West VA friend of mine. We were listening to the Fiesta Bowl on the internet and texting each other via Skype (it was as close to watching as we could get: me in Japan, him in Thailand). He listened to Bob and Merv and then typed, "Wow, I never knew WVA and Oklahoma were so much alike."

As to who should replace him? If he's available, I'd give Mike Leach the shot. He wouldn't take it, of course, but it would be pretty awesome if he did.

Sooner04
8/16/2010, 04:59 PM
I remember DeMond Parker once crossed the 60.

Then five seconds of silence.

Then "Touchdown, Oklahoma!"

Crimsontothecore
8/16/2010, 06:57 PM
I must be awesome to accept such sub-mediocrity. We should just call you Lowexpectationstothecore.
Bob is not good. He hasn't been for a while now and he needs to step aside, pronto. Merv too. Merv is occasionally funny, but he just comes off as a bumpkin most of the time. Listening to them is like tuning into some public access channel out of a retirement home.

Low expectations? it's just radio play-by-play, nothing that affects on-the-field performance. If it's so bad then just go to the game or watch it on TV and leave the radio off.
Geeze I wish the season would get underway so we can put the annual BBS thread to rest. Some of you just need to bitch about something.

TopDawg
8/16/2010, 07:03 PM
Anyway...to answer the original question, I would choose me.

I won't let you all down with the score updates and down & distance.

ndpruitt03
8/16/2010, 07:05 PM
Low expectations? it's just radio play-by-play, nothing that affects on-the-field performance. If it's so bad then just go to the game or watch it on TV and leave the radio off.
Geeze I wish the season would get underway so we can put the annual BBS thread to rest. Some of you just need to bitch about something.

Yep I agree. I usually don't even listen to the TV guys anymore. Most of them are 100 times worse than BBS.

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2010, 07:31 PM
Yep I agree. I usually don't even listen to the TV guys anymore. Most of them are 100 times worse than BBS.

This.

I wish I could sync up the internet radio and satellite tv broadcasts, but haven't found a way to do that.

You wanna talk about bad, though, think back to when Mike Treps was doing play by play on the baseball games. At times, I was sure he wasn't even at the game but reading from a wire report. He'd be going off on a tangent and then, "outside for a ball...blah, blah, blah...and he swings to bring the count to one and two...blah, blah, blah...and it's a swing and miss, no, it's a blooper to shallow right and they double him up at second...blah, blah, blah...and it's strike one, strike two and it's a pop up for out number three." It made me want to rip the radio out of the dashboard.

ndpruitt03
8/16/2010, 07:57 PM
What made Treps worse is that none of our baseball games were televised. At least you can have an visual thing to go with BBS if you want. I don't think BBS is all that great anymore. But I just think that TV is a lot worse I can't stand litening to them.

Stooper
8/16/2010, 08:22 PM
Jim Ross!! He is always on the sidelines. It is obvious he loves the sooners and he has a great radio/tv voice. Maybe when he retires from WWE.

goingoneight
8/16/2010, 08:28 PM
I AM glad, however, that we don't have some gay tagline like "PISTOLS FIRING!!!" That's like nails on a chalkboard listening to that shat. Or the cheesiest joke you've ever heard... one that was so bad you wish you'd brought your gat to work.

sooneron
8/16/2010, 09:03 PM

Yes, low expectations. If you think he does a decent job, then you have zero knowledge of PR and representation. If someone comes across an OU game on the radio somewhere, a senile old man bumbling his way through a broadcast is embarrassing. Let me guess, you're like a total hillbilly that thinks its fine when you shop at Wal Mart shirtless? People listen in to Sooner games FYI.
A LOT of us don't live in the area anymore and some of the games are not on tv. If I use Justin.tv or whatever, the audio always sucks. So yes, listening to someone constantly give incorrect info for a Sooner game when he should have checked out a long time ago sucks.

Crimsontothecore
8/16/2010, 09:39 PM
Yes, low expectations. If you think he does a decent job, then you have zero knowledge of PR and representation. If someone comes across an OU game on the radio somewhere, a senile old man bumbling his way through a broadcast is embarrassing. Let me guess, you're like a total hillbilly that thinks its fine when you shop at Wal Mart shirtless? People listen in to Sooner games FYI.
A LOT of us don't live in the area anymore and some of the games are not on tv. If I use Justin.tv or whatever, the audio always sucks. So yes, listening to someone constantly give incorrect info for a Sooner game when he should have checked out a long time ago sucks.

Wow, The old "hillbilly" and "wal-mart" reference. Are you sure you're not an aggie in Sooner clothing? All you forgot was to accuse me of living in a trailer park and you would have had all your pistols firing!
I get it though, anyone who dares to be ok with BBS is obviously an uneducated , wal-mart shopping hillbilly...
Now go take your overly sensitive self back to stoolwater where you belong.

Sooner04
8/16/2010, 11:21 PM
How long you been posting here, sooneron? Ten, twelve years? As long as I've been around here, so have you.

Must be hard for an Aggie......... :)

stoopified
8/17/2010, 10:34 AM
Spencer Tillman

texaspokieokie
8/17/2010, 10:38 AM
Spencer Tillman would be a great choice.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/17/2010, 10:50 AM
Spencer Tillman slipped my mind. He'd be an awesome choice!

MrJimBeam
8/17/2010, 10:53 AM
It will be Bob Carpenter or Toby Rowland

Shakadoodoo
8/17/2010, 10:55 AM
Spencer Tillman slipped my mind. He'd be an awesome choice!

He is very well spoken for sure!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 11:22 AM
Chuck Neiderman

Mississippi Sooner
8/17/2010, 11:29 AM
I'd volunteer for the job, except all the stations carrying the broadcast would either have to keep me on a five second delay or else face some heavy fines from the FCC. Oh, and I tend to be pretty incoherent by the end of the game, no matter what the outcome.

sooneron
8/17/2010, 01:32 PM
How long you been posting here, sooneron? Ten, twelve years? As long as I've been around here, so have you.

Must be hard for an Aggie......... :)

10 years this month. Yep, I'm an aggy for sure. :rolleyes:

Of course, I don't like settling for mediocrity or worse, which is very aggy. hmmm

I don't know how well Spencer would do. Reading in studio from a prompter is one thing. Covering a live event is another.

I think it's the Army PBP guy up here that's pretty good. Face it, when BBS finally does step down, they're going to give it to Jr.

Oldnslo
8/17/2010, 03:54 PM

Of course, I don't like settling for mediocrity or worse, which is very aggy. hmmm

I don't know how well Spencer would do. Reading in studio from a prompter is one thing. Covering a live event is another.

I think it's the Army PBP guy up here that's pretty good. Face it, when BBS finally does step down, they're going to give it to Jr.

In my experience, TV is the tougher medium. If Spencer is able to deliver on TV, I'm guessing he'd be good on radio.

oh, and I'll nominate me.

Crucifax Autumn
8/17/2010, 04:47 PM
Tillman and the Boz!

TopDawg
8/17/2010, 05:24 PM
I think it's less about the difference between being on TV and being on the radio, and more about the difference between being an analyst in the studio and being a play-by-play guy.

Crimsontothecore
8/18/2010, 07:56 PM

Oh well, at least I'm in good company since Boren, Castiglione, and Stoops seem to feel as I do. Who knows, maybe I'll run into them at wal-mart and we will have a "hillbilly" reunion.

oudavid1
8/18/2010, 08:02 PM
instead of pistols firing, we could say "Schooner Rolling!!!!! Touchdown Oklahoma"

JRAM
8/18/2010, 08:17 PM
Learn to spell Bob Barrys name Boomerjack, you moron.

The Ghost of Mex
8/31/2010, 02:38 PM
Who's it gona be...

goingoneight
8/31/2010, 02:49 PM
Somebody said a guy from Jaw-Juh awhile back was a candidate, and I read somewhere that Joel Meyers was a candidate. Meyers would be a good choice, but it's unlikely he leaves a cush job at Fox and a good job covering the Olympic games for college sports radio. I hope it's not boring Bob Carpenter. I mean, the guy annunciates and knows his stuff, but he puts you to sleep. And the last thing I want to hear during a football broadcast is constant baseball talk.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/31/2010, 03:30 PM
Vote for Pedro.

btk108
8/31/2010, 03:34 PM
I heard the DJ from Night Trips is looking for a Saturday gig........giggity, giggity

SoonersEnFuego
8/31/2010, 04:00 PM
Jim Ross

kelloggOUballa
8/31/2010, 04:04 PM
Jim Ross

The Hammer with another slobberknockin' hit on Garrett Gilbert!!!

kelloggOUballa
8/31/2010, 04:08 PM
The Hammer with another slobberknockin' hit on Garrett Gilbert!!!

By the end of the game, Gilbert will be "running like a scolded dog".

tfoolry
8/31/2010, 04:33 PM

Landry = Laundry

Don't forget Ronnell Lewis = Ronald Lewis
Austin Box = Justin Sox
Jamarkus McFarland = DeMarcus McFarley
Kenny Stills = Benny Hill

sooners2win
8/31/2010, 11:23 PM
Tillman and Trent Smith

rawlingsHOH
8/31/2010, 11:50 PM
Best BBS flub ever was definitely Antoine Sausage!

I nearly cried.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 12:20 PM
I would have to say that I would be good with either Bob Carpenter or Chuck Cooperstein.

sooner KB
9/6/2010, 07:39 PM
I would have to say that I would be good with either Bob Carpenter or Chuck Cooperstein.

Is a job doing college sports considered a step up from doing pro sports like NBA? I've heard so many people float professional sports PBP guys as BBS replacements so I guess it is, I've just never understood why.