PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: The Lubbock Shore

SoonerPr8r
8/13/2010, 08:52 AM
Taco Tech gets their own reality show (http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/15125/tech-tries-hand-at-reality-tv)

Texas Tech to try hand at reality TV

By David Ubben
Texas Tech refuses to let the kids from Jersey Shore have all the fun in the reality TV realm, no matter how good Thursday night's episode was.

As a response (OK, maybe not a direct response, but still), the school has started shooting for a 38-episode series called "The Ride."

The show began shooting at Big 12 media days last month with the Red Raiders, progress through the start of fall camp last week and continue shooting through May, encompassing other sports on campus in Lubbock like basketball, baseball, track, volleyball, softball, soccer and tennis. The show debuts on Sept. 4, a day before Texas Tech's season opener against SMU. The first episode will feature the Red Raiders adventures at media days in Dallas and include a meeting between coach Tommy Tuberville and the Oakland A's Dallas Braden, a Texas Tech alum who recently threw a perfect game.

"With the popularity of reality shows on television, we thought this would be perfect way to showcase not only our football program but other sports at Texas Tech as well," coach Tommy Tuberville said in a release. "The photographers and staff of this show have complete and total access to all of our sports and they will be giving viewers a unique inside look into college athletics. "Texas Tech is going to be on the forefront of this and I know our fans are really going to love it."

This is a pretty cool and unique idea, a step in front of other athletic departments who already produce some in-house content. Similar to the Big Ten Network, if this succeeds, expect others to do something similar. I'll be watching, but the staying power of the show is going to rest in its production quality and candidness. Give us a high-quality inside look at the team a la HBO's "Hard Knocks" and show us something those outside these programs never get to see, and Texas Tech is going to have a compelling product. Find enough moments -- in any sport, really -- like the one everyone on earth saw inside the Iowa State locker room last season and everybody will tune in. But most importantly, give us stories. Nobody really cares about the fourth-string linebacker on the New York Jets on the cusp of being cut. Hard Knocks changes that. That's the task in front of the show's producers.

"We have cameras everywhere, so it'll be a true behind-the-scenes reality show," said team spokesman Blayne Beal.

Please, please, please give us the meeting between Tuberville and his two quarterbacks -- whether he calls them in one at a time or both at once -- and let us see him break the news. That's the most compelling position race in the entire Big 12, with a lot at stake between two seniors.

Give us canned quotes with stock practice footage as B-roll and 25 people will see your second episode. I'm excited to see the finished product.

So who is playing Snookie?

badger
8/13/2010, 09:26 AM
Whatever this show does, it won't be as fun as the leaked Leach videos talking about "God squad" et al

Dio
8/13/2010, 09:34 AM
This would have been a great idea when Leach was still around. Now...meh. I mean, who doesn't want to follow the daily foibles of a soccer team in Lubbock, right?

NormanPride
8/13/2010, 09:39 AM
Maybe they'll get surprise visits from Tubby to talk about things like oatmeal and how the paperboys were more accurate back in the 50s.

badger
8/13/2010, 09:50 AM
tommy has big ears. might be worth tuning in once to see.
http://i38.tinypic.com/110iwdd.png

SoonerPr8r
8/13/2010, 10:04 AM
tommy has big ears. might be worth tuning in once to see.

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kqc3x4bLxy1qz4dqwo1_400.jpg

rawlingsHOH
8/13/2010, 10:05 AM
I bet it will be boring. Only interesting to Tech fans. Just a hunch.

Did I miss what station is airing it?

badger
8/13/2010, 10:31 AM
I bet it will be boring. Only interesting to Tech fans. Just a hunch.

Did I miss what station is airing it?

Tech was interesting back when Mikey and Bobby were in charge of their big sports.

When they had Bobby on College Gameday before the infamous 39-33 (complete with three rushings of the field by the dumdum Tech fans) talking about Tech football, it was awesome. When the local station asks Mike to give a weather report and he says that it's going to rain mud, it's awesome. What, exactly, is younger Knight and Tubby going to bring to the entertainment side of things?

Jacie
8/13/2010, 11:47 AM
A year late and two of the most colorful coaches in their respective sports short . . .

PalmBeachSooner
8/13/2010, 12:04 PM
A year late and two of the most colorful coaches in their respective sports short . . .

Really. Who's going to watch it?

delhalew
8/13/2010, 12:11 PM
BOB would never allow that at OU...never.

Chuck Bao
8/13/2010, 01:35 PM
Really. Who's going to watch it?

I would watch it over any of those other reality TV shows, at least for a couple episodes. Of course, I would be very happy if they just talk football and give us an inside look. They could skip that whole drama thing, which could be very embarrassing to the young athletes. I assume that that is what they plan.

Who knows how this will pan out? It could be a huge distraction or it could be a pretty incredible recruitment tool.

If the OU athletics department decided to do this, it would be must-see TV for me and then I would watch the re-runs and then buy the super deluxe boxed set when the DVD came out.

Thinking outside the box here, but I believe that the big college athletics departments are more likely to set up their own networks and that may be a much more profitable venture than joining an ad hoc super conference. Marketable TV programming material is essential first.

Talk about the demise of the Big XII and Texas Tech feeling insecure may have helped them make this decision. I'm just guessing. But, I do know that it is a very smart move to make their athletics programs as high profile as possible.

Seamus
8/13/2010, 01:46 PM
http://mario.lapam.mo.it/ds9/gifs/quark.jpg