PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning: The Commerce Comet Burns Out

Okla-homey
8/13/2010, 05:46 AM
Aug 13, 1995: Yankee legend dies

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mmmickey-mantle1.jpg

Fifteen years ago today, former New York Yankees star Mickey Mantle dies of liver cancer at the age of 63. While "The Mick" patrolled center field and batted clean-up between 1951 and 1968, the Yankees won 12 American League pennants and seven World Series championships.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mmmuewb_07_img0457.jpg

Mantle was born in Spavinaw, Oklahoma, on October 20, 1931. He grew up in nearby Commerce, and played baseball and football as a youth. With the help of his father, Mutt, and grandfather, Charlie, Mantle developed into a switch-hitter. Mutt pitched to Mantle right-handed and Charlie pitched to him left-handed every day after school. With the family’s tin garage as a backstop, Mantle perfected his swing, which his father helped model so it would be identical from either side of the plate.

Mantle had natural speed and athleticism and gained strength working summers with his father in Oklahoma’s lead mines. "The Commerce Comet" eventually won a scholarship to play football for the University of Oklahoma. However, baseball was Mantle’s first love, so when the New York Yankees came calling, Mantle moved to the big city.

Mantle made his debut for the Yankees in 1951 at age 19, playing right field alongside aging center fielder Joe DiMaggio. That year, in Game 2 of the World Series, Willie Mays of the New York Giants hit a pop fly to short center, and Mantle sprinted toward the ball. DiMaggio called him off, and while slowing down, Mantle’s right shoe caught the rubber cover of a sprinkler head. "There was a sound like a tire blowing out, and my right knee collapsed," Mantle remembered in his memoir, All My Octobers. Mantle returned the next season, but by then his blazing speed had begun to deteriorate, and he ran the bases with a limp for the rest of his career.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mmmickey_mantle_large.jpg

Still, Mantle dominated the American League for more than a decade. In 1956, he won the Triple Crown, leading his league in batting average, home runs and runs batted in. His output was so great that he led both leagues in 1956, hitting .353 with 52 home runs and 130 runs batted in. He was also voted American League MVP that year, and again in 1957 and 1962. After years of brilliance, Mantle’s career began to decline by 1967, and he was forced to move to first base. The next season would be his last. Mantle was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1974 in his first year of eligibility.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mmimages.jpg

Mantle’s father and son both died in their 30s, the result of Hodgkin’s disease. Mantle was sure the same fate would befall him, and joked he would have taken better care of himself if he knew he would live. In 1994, after years of alcoholism, Mantle was diagnosed with liver cancer, and urged his fans to take care of their health, saying "Don’t be like me." Although he received a liver transplant, by then the cancer had spread to his lungs, and he died at just after 2 a.m. on August 13, 1995, at the Baylor University Cancer Center in Dallas.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mmMickeyMantle_big.jpg

At the time of his death Mantle held many of the records for World Series play, including most home runs (18), most RBIs (40) and most runs (42).

AlbqSooner
8/13/2010, 06:14 AM
Trivia question for ya. Who, other than Mantle, wore number 7 for the Yankees? Hint: He also lived in Northeast Oklahoma. I will answer this evening.

ndpruitt03
8/13/2010, 07:49 AM
Both Mantle and Maris were both recruited to play for OU.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/13/2010, 08:26 AM
Both Mantle and Maris were both recruited to play for OU.

Didn't Maris say he would've played football for OU if someone had actually been at the train station to meet him when he arrived in Norman?

Wilkinson Fail.

picasso
8/13/2010, 08:41 AM
I used to leave him a golf ball on his memorial plaque at Shangri-La.
I forget which hole, I think it was #11 but it was the signature hole.

Par 5, behind the green is a beautiful patch of landscaping and the Mick's plaque was in the middle of the begonias.
We used to play in a handicap tourney there every fall for three days. I'll never forget the day I left a ball there, by the weekend there were beers, cigarettes and such left for ole Mickey.

picasso
8/13/2010, 08:42 AM
Wilkinson Fail.

Really? No.

And is there any guarantee those guys were just as good at football?

Ike
8/13/2010, 08:43 AM
Trivia question for ya. Who, other than Mantle, wore number 7 for the Yankees? Hint: He also lived in Northeast Oklahoma. I will answer this evening.

The one you are looking for is Cliff Mapes. Tony Lazzeri wore #7 for one season and Leo Durocher also wore #7 during his stints with the Yanks. Mapes though wore #3 until it was retired.

stoopified
8/13/2010, 02:46 PM
The one you are looking for is Cliff Mapes. Tony Lazzeri wore #7 for one season and Leo Durocher also wore #7 during his stints with the Yanks. Mapes though wore #3 until it was retired.Not a Yankees fan but my guess is Bobby Murcer.Didn't he follow Mantle in CF?

Ike
8/13/2010, 03:12 PM
Not a Yankees fan but my guess is Bobby Murcer.Didn't he follow Mantle in CF?

He did follow Mantle in CF, but I think he wore either #2, or #1.

BTW, in my earlier post, I meant to imply that Mapes went on to wear #7 after #3 had been retired.

AlbqSooner
8/13/2010, 04:59 PM
Mapes was with the Yankees one season, wearing #7. He then went to Detroit for a season and back to the Yankees. When he returned, they told him a rookie had his number and asked if he wanted it back. He said no, let the kid keep it. He was known to the players and fans as Tiger Mapes.

I met him in the late 70s when he was farming just out of Inola. One day I walked into the Elks lodge in Pryor and saw Tiger at the bar. Went over and sat down and said hello. He introduced me to the guy sitting next to him, Mickey Mantle. Nice guy. Mick said that Tiger wasn't the most consistent hitter, but when he got hold of one, "It was a $2.00 cab ride to retrieve the ball."

ndpruitt03
8/13/2010, 05:18 PM
Here's another trivia. Mickey's number when he was first brought up to the Yankees was 6. But he did poorly and was sent down when he came back up someone else had the number so he took the number 7.

picasso
8/13/2010, 05:42 PM
Here's another trivia. Mickey's number when he was first brought up to the Yankees was 6. But he did poorly and was sent down when he came back up someone else had the number so he took the number 7.

You been playin' Bird Trivia again ma?

Okla-homey
8/13/2010, 06:17 PM
BONUS FEATURE

I get up to Miami a far amount. One day last summer I shot over to Commerce to pay my respects at Mick's boyhood home referred to in the thread.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mmphoto.jpg
This is his house. It's pretty much a double-shotgun style. That tin shed in the background was Mick's backstop as he learned to hit.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab7/Okla-homey/mm2.jpg
Mick's house from the point-of-view he had while learning to bat every night when his Dad returned home from the mines. The marker at the house states Mick's dad an grandpaw told him a hit halfway up the wall was a single, the roof a double, and over the roof was a triple.

Sooner04
8/16/2010, 12:23 PM
Mickey Mantle, the most physically gifted baseball player who ever lived. The TRUE five-tool player.

And I ****ing hate the New York Yankees.

Serge Ibaka
8/16/2010, 04:54 PM
I'm from Miami.

I drove by the Mantle-house all of the time. It's crazy to think that he grew up in the shadow of all that mining-filth and made himself into one of the most famous ball-players of all time.

Go Mantle!

Scott D
8/16/2010, 07:18 PM
What could have been if DiMaggio hadn't been such an arrogant ******...

and I ****ing hate the New York Yankees also.

reevie
8/16/2010, 07:33 PM
I remember watching the Mick's memorial service. That day made me a life-long fan of Bob Costas. His eulogy was amazing.

Sooner04
8/16/2010, 08:34 PM
I love going to Mickey Mantle's up in Bricktown and turning over to the back of the menu to glance at the records. Want to be a power hitter, kids? Work in the mines and build up those forearms.

Scott D
8/17/2010, 01:05 PM
or pick cotton ;)

C&CDean
8/17/2010, 01:10 PM
Nobody picks cotton any more. geez.

Scott D
8/17/2010, 01:12 PM
*shrug* Henry Aaron did it growing up. They didn't have the San Fran or Miami steroids back then ;)