PDA

View Full Version : Jim Thome

Collier11
8/12/2010, 01:37 PM
When looking at some stats earlier today I started wondering, is Jim Thome one of the more under appreciated sluggers in MLB history? Seriously, when you talk about all time great sluggers you never hear Thome's name but check out these numbers...

Closing in on 600 HRs, 579 to be exact

This is currently 10th all time and if he plays one or two more seasons (He is 39) he will likely end up #8 or 9 all time

Over 1600 RBIs

He is currently #31 all time and with one more season would get into the top 25 all time barring injury

.277 Career batting average which isnt bad at all for a power hitter

Pretty unreal if you ask me

yankee
8/12/2010, 03:08 PM
When looking at some stats earlier today I started wondering, is Jim Thome one of the more under appreciated sluggers in MLB history? Seriously, when you talk about all time great sluggers you never hear Thome's name but check out these numbers...

Closing in on 600 HRs, 579 to be exact

This is currently 10th all time and if he plays one or two more seasons (He is 39) he will likely end up #8 or 9 all time

Over 1600 RBIs

He is currently #31 all time and with one more season would get into the top 25 all time barring injury

.277 Career batting average which isnt bad at all for a power hitter

Pretty unreal if you ask me

that's what happens when you play in a small market city for cleveland for the bulk of your career. great player though. dude can tear the cover off a baseball.

ouleaf
8/12/2010, 04:20 PM
Yeah, small market doesn't help. He does have some impressive numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomeji01.shtml

He'll definitely be able to move past McGwire and Jackie Robinson if he plays one more year....might even be able to do it this year. Past that...he might be able to catch Sosa.

What is really telling is his career SLG, OPS, and AB per HR totals. Definitely one of the great power hitters of the past decade despite not leading the league in a lot of hitting categories, he was often in the top 10 though.

The guy isn't afraid to go down swinging though looking at his Strikeout numbers, but again, you are going to see that with HR hitters. Also drew a lot of walks.

Definitely a HOF career when it will all be said and done. 1st ballot? Not sure.

Collier11
8/12/2010, 08:26 PM
Yeah, small market doesn't help. He does have some impressive numbers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/thomeji01.shtml

He'll definitely be able to move past McGwire and Jackie Robinson Frank Robinson :D if he plays one more year....might even be able to do it this year. Past that...he might be able to catch Sosa.

What is really telling is his career SLG, OPS, and AB per HR totals. Definitely one of the great power hitters of the past decade despite not leading the league in a lot of hitting categories, he was often in the top 10 though.

The guy isn't afraid to go down swinging though looking at his Strikeout numbers, but again, you are going to see that with HR hitters. Also drew a lot of walks.

Definitely a HOF career when it will all be said and done. 1st ballot? Not sure.

The only great sluggers of the past twenty years who havent yet been associated with PEDs are Pujols, Thome, Griffey, Howard, Fielder, anyone else? Thats really sad

yankee
8/12/2010, 09:04 PM
The only great sluggers of the past twenty years who havent yet been associated with PEDs are Pujols, Thome, Griffey, Howard, Fielder, anyone else? Thats really sad

and i have my doubts about a few of those guys.

it's the mindset i have to take after being shocked one too many times by players i enjoy/enjoyed watching.

Collier11
8/12/2010, 09:05 PM
Well as you know im a huge Cardinals fan and I have to say this about Pujols, there has been roid testing in all but one year of his career so I have no doubts that he is clean there. As far as HGH goes, I believe that he isnt doing it but if he were, Id imagine every single other guy in MLB probably is to.

I choose to believe that Pujols is as honorable as he is made out to be so I will be heart broken if I ever hear different, a lot more than McGwire. For one, McGwire was always suspicious even if I did try to trust him, for two, Pujols has proven to be nothing but a great guy, a charitable guy,and strong man of God who makes his faith very public so I will choose to believe him until proven differently...Fingers Crossed

soonerinabilene
8/12/2010, 10:42 PM

vlad and maybe larry walker?

Collier11
8/12/2010, 10:51 PM
Yea Vlad is probably in there, Larry was a GREAT hitter but only had 383 HRs in 17 years, 383 is still alot but I wouldnt consider him a 'Slugger'

Honestly though, Pujols isnt really a slugger, he is a GREAT hitter who hits alot of HRs also, Pujols has 394 in 9 2/3 seasons. He is kinda a hybrid slugger/hitter

ouleaf
8/12/2010, 10:59 PM

Frank Thomas...pretty solid slugging, average, HR, and RBI....don't think anyone has ever really accused him of PED have they.

Vlad...great career average and slugging...pretty good on HR and hit totals. By the time he hangs em up I think he belongs

Collier11
8/12/2010, 11:06 PM
Yea id list Vlad and Frank in there, they were such good overall hitters that they get looked over at times but they hit 428(Vlad) and 521 (Frank) overall, not bad and Vlad will probably get to 500 if he sticks at DH with someone.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/13/2010, 01:36 AM
If it came out that Pujols was doing the stuff, it would be crushing for baseball....

Collier11
8/13/2010, 08:31 AM
YES

Eielson
8/13/2010, 05:46 PM

I'd imagine if we knew everything, most, if not all, of those would be associated with PED's.

Eielson
8/13/2010, 05:47 PM
If it came out that Pujols was doing the stuff, it would be crushing for baseball....

Yup. Or Griffey.

Curly Bill
8/13/2010, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately, in the current climate I assume they're all guilty until proven innocent.

Eielson
8/13/2010, 05:59 PM
If I were a pro baseball player, I'd use PED's. Just saying...

Well maybe not now, but I would have.

GottaHavePride
8/13/2010, 07:57 PM
I knew a chick with the last name of Thome once. Pronounced it "tommy".

She was pretty hot.

texaspokieokie
8/18/2010, 07:30 AM
see where thome got walk-off homer #12, tieing the all time record.
tied with about 5 guys that are all in HOF.
only one still playing.

Scott D
8/18/2010, 12:14 PM
Thome....when in Cleveland was overshadowed by Manny. In Philly, all they talked about was when Ryan Howard was going to take over for Thome. Quite honestly, I think he's more under the radar because of a couple of injury filled seasons in his prime.

Sooner04
8/18/2010, 01:23 PM
Jim Thome is the left-handed Harmon Killebrew, and he'll one day be in the Hall of Fame.

Scott D
8/18/2010, 04:05 PM
ooh Killebrew is a great comparison.

texaspokieokie
8/27/2010, 08:32 AM
kudos to Pujols for being the 3rd youngest to amass 400 homers. !!!!!

Quite a slugger/hitter !!

without checking or comparing numbers,kinda reminds me of the GREAT Stan Musial.

would love to see a NICE guy like Pujols break the homer record. (but i don't see it)

Collier11
8/27/2010, 10:56 AM
With Pujols he just needs to stay healthy

ouleaf
8/27/2010, 01:07 PM
kudos to Pujols for being the 3rd youngest to amass 400 homers. !!!!!

Quite a slugger/hitter !!

without checking or comparing numbers,kinda reminds me of the GREAT Stan Musial.

would love to see a NICE guy like Pujols break the homer record. (but i don't see it)

Not sure he will after A-Rod more than likely passes Bonds

Scott D
8/27/2010, 01:46 PM
or at least until Pujols' actual birth certificate surfaces showing him to be 37 years old this year ;)

texaspokieokie
8/27/2010, 02:16 PM
& that he's a muslim.

Collier11
8/27/2010, 09:38 PM
or at least until Pujols' actual birth certificate surfaces showing him to be 37 years old this year ;)

bunch of haters

texaspokieokie
8/28/2010, 07:10 AM
count me as a Pujols fan.

also, next to Dodgers, rooting for Cards.

Scott D
8/28/2010, 05:25 PM
bunch of haters

lol..he was older than Griffey when he hit 400....so now the injuries for Albert...they are a comin' ;)

Collier11
8/29/2010, 05:34 PM
if Albert starts getting injured anytime soon I will put a curse on you

Scott D
8/29/2010, 06:19 PM
if Albert starts getting injured anytime soon I will put a curse on you

time to convince jlew to make albert his avatars. :D

Collier11
8/29/2010, 06:32 PM
He is a sorry Stros fan, he can do no harm :D

Scott D
8/30/2010, 01:45 PM
He is a sorry Stros fan, he can do no harm :D

jlew is to athletes as his avatar, what the Madden jinx is to the cover player. :D

texaspokieokie
9/7/2010, 07:55 AM
Thome just got 585. only 1 away from Frank Robinson, an all-time great.

texaspokieokie
9/9/2010, 10:01 AM
he also got 586.

texaspokieokie
9/23/2010, 10:44 AM
see where he got the 25th of the season.