PDA

View Full Version : Okie State ahead of Florida...

Soonermagik
8/12/2010, 07:27 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2011

I know it's early in recruiting, but that does surprise me some. Maybe kids are shying away from the Florida and Alabama type schools, because they want to play now.

Plus, this could all change before recruiting wraps up. Recruiting stars seem to be pretty subjective. Maybe OSU facilities have helped them more than we thought.

Crucifax Autumn
8/12/2010, 08:00 AM
Maybe a lot of these youngsters just really dig sheep.

NormanPride
8/12/2010, 08:14 AM
They're getting a lot of good leftovers that nobody else wanted.

The Ghost of Mex
8/12/2010, 08:52 AM
Maybe a lot of these youngsters just really dig sheep.

^^^It had to be said...Thank You...LMAO...^^^

sooneron
8/12/2010, 09:03 AM
Have they made t shirts yet?

OKLA21FAN
8/12/2010, 09:07 AM
its the facilities!!!! its the facilities!!!!!!!

gaylordfan1
8/12/2010, 09:22 AM
And still, a lot of the pokies want to get rid of Gundy.

Breadburner
8/12/2010, 10:46 AM
Its the Bracelets folks.....

badger
8/12/2010, 11:08 AM
Yeah, and Poke State was also ahead of us in the Big 12 South last year, whoop tee friggin' doo. :D

I think OSU's recruiting improvement is largely because of the uncertainty in some top Texas schools lately. Tech just switched coaches and A&M had three coaches this past decade to go along with a lot more losing that Aggies are accustomed to... or are they? Meh.

But, like most years, especially the years Gundy is head coach, Pokes lose to Texas and Oklahoma on the field and in the recruiting rankings :D

Seamus
8/12/2010, 11:23 AM
Have they made t shirts yet?

Teh allsomeness. This never gets old. ROFL

stoopified
8/12/2010, 06:00 PM
I thought his was a wrasslin or golf thread.

Jacie
8/12/2010, 06:52 PM
I thought his was a wrasslin or golf thread.

I thought it was for Fulmer Cup points . . .

Curly Bill
8/12/2010, 07:33 PM
Recruiting wise Florida is in a position where they can sit back and wait. Some of the very best recruits will wait until the end to make their decisions - those are the kids Florida is aiming to get. OSU on the other hand has to get while the getting is good. When all is said and done, Florida will finish well ahead of OSU in any sort of recruiting race.

gunsalus
8/12/2010, 08:11 PM
Since teams recruit varying numbers of players, I did a quick glance at recruiting years back to 08 and OU is top five in average stars per player each year except one, and even then we were in the top 10. Texas, Florida and USC are the only teams that consistently had higher avg. stars per player, and of course they get most of their players from within their state. The only team that can draw out of state players like OU is Notre Dame, and of course, they have the Catholic network of private schools as their farm system. Also, it seems that we have more 4 and 3 stars that develop into NFL recruits. I don't have time to do it, but it would be interesting to study the gap between star ratings as recruits and NFL draftees. That would seem to hint at a programs ability to develop talent. Were OU's draftees an average of 3.5 stars as recruits, but *'s were 4.5, meaning we are either better at developing players, or better at identifying the true potential of recruits regardless of what the recruiting sites say.

sooneron
8/13/2010, 08:10 AM
I don't have time to do it, but it would be interesting to study the gap between star ratings as recruits and NFL draftees.

I'm pretty sure that has been done somewhere....

sooneron
8/13/2010, 08:14 AM
http://blogs.ajc.com/recruiting/2010/04/26/recruiting-rankings-dont-necessarily-predict-nfl-riches/

AJC College Sports Recruiting
Recruiting rankings don’t necessarily predict NFL riches

5:00 am April 26, 2010, by Chip Towers

College football prospects are rated on a scale of one to five stars (5 representing the best, 1 the worst) coming out of high school. So how does that quantification translate to the just completed 2010 NFL draft?

As one might expect, the vast majority of the players selected in the first round of this past week’s draft came out of high school with a lot of stars next to their names. But not all of them.

In fact, one of the notable exceptions was the Atlanta Falcons’ draft pick. Linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, who the Falcons selected with the 19th pick, was considered a two-star recruit by both the Rivals and Scout recruiting services when he signed with Missouri out of Jasper High in Texas.

Weatherspoon, Idaho offensive lineman Mike Iupati, Boise State cornerback Kyle Wilson, Rutgers cornerback Devin McCourty and TCU defensive end Jerry Hughes made up a suprisingly large group of consensus two-star college prospects taken in the first round. And Fresno State running back Ryan Matthews, the No. 12 pick of the San Diego Chargers, got only a 2 from Rivals and a 3 from Scout coming out of Bakersfield, Calif.

Other than that, the draft’s first-round was mostly a star-studded affair.

Fairburn’s Eric Berry, the No. 5 pick of the Kansas City Chiefs, was one of five consensus 5-star college prospects, including Gerald McCoy (No. 3 pick), CJ Spiller (9), Brandon Graham (13) and, of course, Tim Tebow (25). Twenty-three of the 32 selections had at least one recruiting ranking of 4 stars or better coming out of high school. Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick, was among those. However, while he received a 4-star rating from Scout, he got only a 3 from Rivals.

Locally, it has been well documented that Georgia Tech had a fantastic year in the NFL draft. The Yellow Jackets had two players — defensive end Derrick Morgan and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas – taken in the first round. That hadn’t happened since 1979 when running back Eddie Lee Ivery (15th) and tackle Kent Hill (26th) each got the early call. The Yellow Jackets had four players drafted, including safety Morgan Burnett going in the third round and running back Jonathan Dwyer in the sixth.

Meanwhile, Georgia had a down year for the draft. The Bulldogs had five players drafted but none before linebacker Rennie Curran went late in the third round.

However, the argument that the Yellow Jackets’ players were “coached up more” is hard to validate. Thomas was a 3-star recruit coming out of Dublin’s West Laurens High and definitely improved his stick in college. But otherwise Morgan, Burnett and Dwyer were all high-profile recruits with consensus 4-star ratings.

Conversely, Georgia’s Reshad Jones, considered a 5-star recruit by Rivals when he came out of Atlanta’s Booker T. Washington High (4 per Scout), didn’t get selected until the fifth round. But just last year Georgia had the No. 1 overall player (quarterback Matt Stafford), two first-rounders (including running back Knowshon Moreno), three of the first 50 picks (including wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi) and six players overall.

Here’s some data to chew on before telling us what you think:

GEORGIA TECH DRAFTEES

* DE Derrick Morgan, 1st round (16th pick) — 4-star ratings from both Rivals and Scout
* WR Demaryius Thomas, 1st (22) — 3 stars from both Rivals and Scout
* DB Morgan Burnett, 3rd (71) — 4 stars from both Rivals and Scout
* RB Jonathan Dwyer, 6th (188) — 4-stars from both Rivals and Scout

GEORGIA DRAFTEES

* LB Rennie Curran, 3rd (97) — 4 stars ratings from both Rivals and Scout
* DT Geno Atkins, 4th (120) — 4 stars from both Rivals and Scout
* DB Reshad Jones, 5th (163) — 5 stars from Rivals, 4 from Scout
* DT Jeff Owens, 7th (243) — 4 stars from both Rivals and Scout
* DT Kade Weston, 7th (248) — 4 stars Rivals, 2 stars Scout

2010 NFL FIRST-ROUNDERS

Team — Player — Rivals/Scout rank

1. Rams — Sam Bradford 3/4
2. Lions — Ndamukong Suh 4/4
3. Buccaneers — Gerald McCoy 5/5
4. Redskins — Trent Williams 3/3
5. Chiefs — Eric Berry 5-5
6. Seahawks — Russell Okung 3/4
7. Browns — Joe Haden 4/4
8. Raiders — Rolando McClain 4/4
9. Bills — CJ Spiller 5/5
10. Jaguars — Tyson Alualu 3/4
11. 49ers – Anthony Davis 4/5
12. Chargers — Ryan Mathews 3/2
13. Eagles — Brandon Graham 5/5
14. Seahawks — Earl Thomas 4/4
15. Giants — Jason Pierre-Paul 4/4*
16. Titans — Derrick Morgan 4/4
17. 49ers — Mike Iupati 2/2
18. Steelers — Maurkice Pouncey 4/4
19. Falcons — Sean Weatherspoon 2/2
20. Texans — Kareem Jackson 4/3
21. Bengals — Jermaine Gresham 4/4
22. Broncos — Demaryius Thomas 3/3
23. Packers — Bryan Bulaga 4/4
24. Cowboys — Dez Bryant 4/4
25. Broncos — Tim Tebow 5/5
26. Cardinals — Dan Williams 3/3
27. Patriots — Devin McCourty 2/2
28. Dolphins – Jared Odrick 4/4
29. Jets — Kyle Wilson 2/2
30. Lions — Jahvid Best 4/4
31. Colts – Jerry Hughes 2/2
32. Saints — Patrick Robinson 4/4

Jacie
8/13/2010, 12:01 PM
Not a 1 * in the lot . . .

oudavid1
8/13/2010, 03:42 PM
Oklahoma State might be........nah they still suck

ndpruitt03
8/13/2010, 03:49 PM
I think some of this is just the issues going on with the SEC right now. Half that conference is being investigated. Then you had the Urban Meyer "retiring" bs that probably hurt them in recruiting. Florida will probably have a top 10 class by the end of the year.

oudavid1
8/13/2010, 03:59 PM
I think some of this is just the issues going on with the SEC right now. Half that conference is being investigated. Then you had the Urban Meyer "retiring" bs that probably hurt them in recruiting. Florida will probably have a top 10 class by the end of the year.

Urban is a freakin vag

silverwheels
8/13/2010, 04:08 PM
Florida will have a top-5 or -10 class by Signing Day. OSU won't.

oudavid1
8/13/2010, 10:40 PM
Florida will have a top-5 or -10 class by Signing Day. OSU won't.

safe to say

o0Dan0o
8/14/2010, 11:06 AM
I think the scout rankings favor bigger classes (basically values of individual players are summed instead of averaged), OSU has 4 more players, thus their slim advantage. Florida is likely still working on their biggest recruits, so their ranking will go way up in the next 5 months, though most of that will be when ESPN say, "Oh, Florida recruited them? They must be a 5 star!"...
Dan

SunnySooner
8/15/2010, 12:17 AM
OSU might get a great class this year, who knows? The point is...it doesn't matter. They will always be the orange-haired step-sister of the number one college football program of all time. This little state in flyover country, population 3 million (what is that, a couple of city blocks in the Bronx?), somehow managed to produce the most successful, most storied, most prestigious, most everything college football program in these United States. And that's not my opinion as a Sooner, that's a fact, based on like statistics and stuff, you can look it up. Even ESPN had to admit it, though I'm sure they threw up a little in their mouths as they wrote it. We are the 800 pound gorilla of college football in this state. If LosuR somehow managed to win the Big 12 or make it to a BCS game, the only people who would care are all the pig farmers who constitute their alumni. It still wouldn't matter. They would still be Oklahoma STATE, and that fact in and of itself damns them to mediocrity. It may be mediocrity with some pretty good years, but they will NEVER be Oklahoma. There is only one. ;)

As I've said earlier, I still don't really get why they are even trying at this point. They're never going to "catch up" to us, seems there's a lot better ways to spend all of T. Booger Picker's money than on a team that will never be more than second best. Just think of all the wrestling mats that kind of dough would buy!!! They could even start a Lacrosse team, maybe they wouldn't suck at that! On the other hand, can't blame Hair Gel for squeezing in as many free trips to Florida as possible. Those expense-account trips are F-U-N!!!

Eielson
8/15/2010, 12:31 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14&yr=2011

I know it's early in recruiting, but that does surprise me some. Maybe kids are shying away from the Florida and Alabama type schools, because they want to play now.

If Florida had 17 commits like OSU, there would be a pretty decent gap in the rankings. It's near even and Florida only has 13 kids. Alabama has equal commits, and there is a huge gap.

texaspokieokie
8/15/2010, 09:40 AM
it's not based on the no. of commits.

it's also not based on the average number of "stars", but that's close.

i can't see what is is based on, but it's total no. of points, derived how ??

o0Dan0o
8/15/2010, 10:41 AM
it's not based on the no. of commits.

it's also not based on the average number of "stars", but that's close.

i can't see what is is based on, but it's total no. of points, derived how ??

It's not based on the number of commits, but it's biased towards large recruiting classes. I believe Scout.com basically sums all of the players perceived value, not their stars but some value assigned to each recruit, rather than averaging them in some way.

Look at the ESPN rankings (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/classrankings?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/classrankings), Florida is 7th while OSU is 17, each with the same commits that Scout shows. ESPN obviously performs some sort of average on the players perceived value to come up with the overall class value.
Dan

Sabanball
8/15/2010, 11:23 AM
I'm not worried about Okie State over-taking Florida in ANYTHING.

texaspokieokie
8/15/2010, 11:38 AM
how bout wrestling ???

Sabanball
8/15/2010, 01:22 PM
how bout wrestling ???

Florida does not have a wrestling program.

Eielson
8/15/2010, 01:33 PM
Florida does not have a wrestling program.

Hey! Oklahoma State wins!

Sabanball
8/15/2010, 01:41 PM
We're still very early in the 2011 recruiting season. Florida has several prospects that aren't expected to announce until NSD. When it's all said and done in Februrary, I doubt Okie State even finishes in the top 15 and UF will more than likely finish very strong and in the top 5 again.

texaspokieokie
8/15/2010, 05:05 PM
nobody ever said osu would have a better recruiting class than fu this year. it was merely pointed out that,@ this point, somebody's list had osu on top.

most lists (they mean nothing @ this point, if ever) probly show fu to be ahead. sabanballs are all up tite.

ndpruitt03
8/15/2010, 05:38 PM
I don't really believe in recruiting class rankings anyway. We should rank recruiting classes about 3 years after they are signed.

texaspokieokie
8/15/2010, 05:52 PM
absolutely true !!!

it is only done to while away the hours until fb season rolls around again.

o0Dan0o
8/15/2010, 06:10 PM
I don't really believe in recruiting class rankings anyway. We should rank recruiting classes about 3 years after they are signed.

I don't really think that's true. While some of the players don't turn out well, most of them live up to their potential in college. After all, most of the best programs are always at the top of these recruiting lists.

Now, if we could somehow quantify personality/attitude/work ethic and add it to the rankings, then we would have something...
Dan

Eielson
8/15/2010, 06:31 PM

That sounds pretty boring.

Frozen Sooner
8/15/2010, 06:38 PM

Since Alabama is #4 to Oklahoma State's 10, your premise seems flawed.

I'm going to go celebrate our new "#4 in non-final recruiting rankings" national championship."

oudavid1
8/15/2010, 07:25 PM
Wouldnt we all agree that it is a good thing that OSU is at least progressing, i mean its better than hearing they are getting worse.

silverwheels
8/15/2010, 08:29 PM
Not really.