PDA

View Full Version : Some 3-4 D?

ndpruitt03
8/11/2010, 05:06 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/11/ou-practice-report-aug-11/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Sooners are working on adding a defensive wrinkle, and it involves Ronnell Lewis and true freshman Tony Jefferson.

But first, this is what the base defense currently looks like:
DE: Beal
DT: A. Taylor
DT: McFarland/McGee/Walker
DE: Alexander
SLB: R. Lewis
MLB: Wort/Box
WLB: T. Lewis
CB: Fleming
CB: Hurst
FS: Nelson
SS: Carter

However, I expect OU to feature this defense a lot, especially against teams who favor throwing the ball:
DE: R. Lewis
DT: Beal/Alexander
DT: Taylor/McFarland/McGee/Walker
DE: Beal/Alexander
SLB: Tony Jefferson

Essentially, this is a 3-4 set, with Ronnell playing stand-up end (similar to what the NY Giants did with Lawrence Taylor).

This lineup gets the defense’s best players (R. Lewis, Jefferson) on the field, and allows OU to only have to play one DT, a position where the Sooners aren’t as good as maybe other positions.

The other thing interesting about this lineup is it puts a ferocious pass-rushing group on the field. Not only do you have to deal with Beal coming off the edge on one side, but Alexander and R. Lewis on the other. Plus OU could bring T. Lewis or Jefferson on blitzes.

Other news and notes from practice:
* The starting DEs are obvious with Beal and Alexander. Pryce Macon, whom Venables calls one of the most improved players in a year he’s ever seen, is the top backup, followed by David King. Ronnell should take a lot of snaps from the reserve ends, though.

* Ronnell is up to 245 pounds and is built like a tank. He’s much stouter than I remember him from last season, which is saying something.

* Speaking of impressive looking players, Tony Jefferson doesn’t look like a true freshman. Maybe a junior. He’s very imposing, and just looking at him you can see why the coaches feel physically he’s ready to play now. Jefferson is battling Joe Ibiloye and Marcus Trice for the nickelback spot.

* The competition at middle linebacker is ongoing. Austin Box and Tom Wort are going at it, and Daniel Franklin is in the mix, too. Should be a competition that runs all the way up to the opener, but I expect both Box and Wort to play a lot of snaps this season.

* The starting secondary is SS Quinton Carter, FS Jonathan Nelson, Field CB Demontre Hurst and Boundary CB Jamell Fleming. Right now, it sounds like Nelson will remain at safety, however, against teams that run 4-5 wide sets, Nelson will come up and be the third corner. Ideally, DB coach Willie Martinez would like to leave Nelson at safety in base sets, because of how prolific he was there last year. Nelson is a big luxury for this defense because of his ability to play either safety or corner.

Javon Harris is backing up Nelson at FS, while Sam Proctor is the top reserve at SS. Gabe Lynn is vying to be the third corner (although in reality, that spot will be held by Nelson). Freshman Aaron Colvin, out of Owasso, is someone who could see time.

“He’s playing with a lot of confidence,” Martinez said. “He has a lot of ball skills, instincts.”

* Adrian Taylor is still coming along, but Brent Venables said it’s a gradual process. We probably won’t know for a couple weeks if Taylor will be ready for the opener.

OK2U
8/11/2010, 05:12 PM
Cool
One of my favorite parts of the RSS is all the new defensive formations Venables throws at *'s QB.
Gilbert is gonna be confused as sh*t when he see Ronnell roaming around.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2010, 05:15 PM
Cool
One of my favorite parts of the RSS is all the new defensive formations Venables throws at *'s QB.
Gilbert is gonna be confused as sh*t when he see Ronnell roaming around.

http://KOTV.images.worldnow.com/images/8828413_BG1.jpg

You mean like this?

OK2U
8/11/2010, 05:15 PM
NewsOk interview (video) with Tony Jefferson:
http://newsok.com/ou-football-freshman-tony-jefferson/multimedia/video/524257685001

OK2U
8/11/2010, 05:16 PM

You mean like this?

Exactly!

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2010, 05:23 PM
This lineup gets the defense’s best players (R. Lewis, Jefferson) on the field, and allows OU to only have to play one DT, a position where the Sooners aren’t as good as maybe other positions.

Might be a wee bit early to proclaim 2 guys that have yet to start as the "best players". But I sure like the seeing the expectations from the coaches that these guys will be big time contributors.

ndpruitt03
8/11/2010, 05:24 PM
I think it's fairly obvious after this year that Ronnell will be our best defensive player. I think there's a chance he's a top 5 pick by the time his career is done. Jefferson needs some work.

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2010, 05:32 PM
Not disputing potential - just the wording. Our best 2 D players right now for my money are Beal and T. Lewis (and I'd never say "obviously" on SF.com - just IMO). I may change my mind after the 1st game.

NormanPride
8/11/2010, 05:33 PM
I'd say Beal and Nelson, actually. Diversity in a player is excellent for a defense.

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2010, 05:34 PM
See why I never say "obviously"? NP shot me down in 2 sec flat :)

badger
8/11/2010, 05:36 PM
You know what would REALLY be cool?

Some 3-4 D in 3-D :D

sooner ngintunr
8/11/2010, 05:43 PM
I think it's fairly obvious after this year that Ronnell will be our best defensive player. I think there's a chance he's a top 5 pick by the time his career is done. Jefferson needs some work.

yeah, just forget about OUr 2 time all Big12 first teamer Freshman All American that has led the team in tackles the last two years.

Fairly obvious? Not in my mind.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2010, 05:53 PM
I'm just ready for the damn season to start..... What else is the off-season for other than to speculate? We have a lot of players that we haven't seen play a down that we have high expectations for...ie Wort, Jefferson, Stills, Finch, Clay, Colvin, Stephenson, Millard.... and the list goes on. We haven't seen them.... But the coaches have, so we tend to gravitate to to the opinions of the coaches. And the coaches are all about these players.

R. Lewis, we have seen quite a bit of. We saw how he dominated on ST and extended it to his only start last year in the bowl game. Then we read articles on how he has had the hardest hits in practice.... Ask lil boy Finch how his hits feel. When you get the nickname "The Hammer" from your head coach as a true frosh then you tend to have high expectations from the coaches and fans. I agree he will be special.

Just 24 days until we have video evidence to back up our expectations....

NormanPride
8/11/2010, 06:06 PM
See why I never say "obviously"? NP shot me down in 2 sec flat :)

:D It's all good. T. Lewis certainly has the most style!

delhalew
8/11/2010, 06:33 PM
The Jefferson part of the equation keeps us from moving to the 3-4 without changing personnel...I would really like for that to be possible.

ndpruitt03
8/11/2010, 06:43 PM
I think the 3-4 we see is mostly in pass rush situations.

prrriiide
8/11/2010, 07:13 PM
I think the 3-4 we see is mostly in pass rush situations.

I don't know. This defense reminds me an awful lot of the 2008 offense in that the players are all very versatile. We could easily flex from a 3-4 to a 4-3 at the last second and totally bumfuzzle opposing QBs and OCs. Beal is fast enough to play LB. RL is big enough to play DE. TL is fast enough to play nickle. Our DBs are big enough to really bring the pain on the blitzes, and our LBs are all fast enough to cover in the middle. It's a great thing to have so much flexibility in disguising coverages, blitzes and stunts. This is shaping up to be one of those special seasons where the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts, and the parts are all pretty damned impressive. I only hope that BV has the imagination to use it to its full potential.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2010, 07:30 PM
I only hope that BV has the imagination to use it to its full potential.

There are a lot on this board that thinks he doesn't. I personally think he does. I'm sure he is like a kid in a candy store.

OU-HSV
8/11/2010, 07:57 PM
I read something the other day about this. They're going to use Ronnell as a roaming/blitzing LB/DE hybrid type player. Similar to how Dan Cody was used at times, and TRRW, among others. I'll try to find the article I read this in, it was quoting Venables and Stoops I believe. (thought I even read it on here somewhere)

OU-HSV
8/11/2010, 07:58 PM
Yep right here...
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143507

And additionally, here's this from the Tulsa World..similar story, but has some more in it...

Sooners' hard-hitting Ronnell Lewis poised to set himself apart

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
Published: 8/7/2010**2:19 AM
Last Modified: 8/7/2010**6:20 PM

Go to Dave Sittler's Blog

Related story: Into the spotlight.

NORMAN — If a vote were held at Friday's Media Day to select the biggest name on Oklahoma's defense, Travis Lewis would win in a landslide.

A few months from now, the junior from San Antonio, Texas, might not even be the best-known OU linebacker named Lewis.

If that's the case, the Sooners could finish higher than the No. 8 spot they were awarded Friday in the coaches' preseason Top 25 poll. They also might justify the media's prediction that OU is the team to beat in the Big 12's South Division race.

For as much publicity as Travis Lewis has deservedly received the past few weeks, fellow linebacker Ronnell Lewis was the center of much media attention Friday.

A 6-foot-2, 240-pound sophomore from Dewar, Ronnell Lewis received some notoriety late last season when head coach Bob Stoops nicknamed him "The Hammer."

Stoops' attempt a couple years ago to call Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Sam Bradford "The Big Easy" never caught on. But there's a good reason to believe "The Hammer" is a perfect fit for Ronnell Lewis.

"He's the most violent hitter I've been around," defensive coordinator Brent Venables said. "I haven't been all over the place, OK? But I've been here, and we've had some good players, and he's as violent as they come."

Ronnell Lewis first unleashed his intense violence on special teams last season. And while his only start came in the final game — a Sun Bowl win over Stanford — the former 8-man player demonstrated he could handle the 11-man game on the biggest college stage.

"He's incredibly powerful and explosive," Stoops said. "There's no question that he can be really special."

The younger Lewis is already special enough that Stoops and Venables are working overtime to find more ways to utilize his speed, strength and hard-hitting approach.

Led by Travis Lewis, a bona fide All-American candidate and NFL prospect at weakside linebacker, the Sooners are well-stocked at the three linebacker spots.

The depth chart lists Ronnell Lewis as the No. 1 middle linebacker, but Stoops and Venables would like to use "The Hammer" as "The Spinner" at times.

A hybrid position that Stoops first devised when he was Florida's defensive coordinator, "The Spinner" was made popular at OU by former All-America defensive end Dan Cody.

The combo defensive end/linebacker position will allow the versatile Ronnell Lewis to play end or roam around as a blitzing linebacker.

OU already has two excellent defensive end veterans in Frank Alexander and Jeremy Beal, so Stoops said "Ronnell could stand up outside (the ends).

"I could see us using him there more and more because of his ability to blitz and do different things to hopefully make a difference."

OU's leading tackler the past two seasons, Travis Lewis is already a certified difference-maker. And Venables said yesterday, "Travis is the heart and soul," of the linebacking corps.

But championship clubs have several players capable of making a difference. If Ronnell Lewis can adapt to his various roles quickly, OU's talented but young defense could be the linchpin to a team that thinks it's going to be good on offense, but isn't sure at this point.

"A year ago, we were first or second in (the Big 12) in about every defensive category," Stoops said. "But this defense has a chance to be every bit as good as last year's … or better."

Ronnell Lewis became a special-teams star because, Venables said, his mission as a raw rookie was simple: "See the ball, get the ball."

He saw it and got to it fast and violent enough times to fill a highlight reel. He also contributed 22 tackles (11 unassisted) for a physically beat-up Sooner team that finished a disappointing 8-5.

The adjustment to major-college football was bound to be huge for Ronnell Lewis, because he played 11-man only his senior season at Dewar. But his physical gifts and punishing style convinced Stoops and Venables to put him on a crash course last spring of learning two positions, and the education will continue during fall camp.

OU lost one of the biggest defensive names in its proud, rich history when consensus All-American tackle Gerald McCoy opted to enter the NFL draft instead of returning for his senior season.

Venables believes he can successfully fill McCoy's huge Nikes by committee. But the importance of an effective pass rush led by a blitzing Ronnell Lewis is multiplied because the Sooners are breaking in two new cornerbacks.

"We've got to give (Ronnell) what he can handle and not overwhelm him," Venables said. "But he's a very hungry, humble young guy that loves to play the game and really loves to be coached."

If Stoops and Venables can coach him up to their standards, OU's defense will have plenty of room for both Lewises to make a difference for their team and a name for themselves.

Original Print Headline: Hard-hitting Sooner poised to set himself apart

By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100807_202_B1_NORMAN386503

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2010, 08:22 PM
"We've got to give (Ronnell) what he can handle and not overwhelm him," Venables said. "But he's a very hungry, humble young guy that loves to play the game and really loves to be coached."

This quote brought tears of joy to my eyes - what more could you ask from a kid? To me, the most impressive play from last season was not one of his jarring hits. It was the redzone tackle he made on Gerhardt. Lewis was in the trailing position around the 3yd line and Gerhardt is going to drag any defender into the endzone in that situation. Instead of just trying to make a hit or wrap-up the RB's legs, Lewis wrapped 1 arm around his waste and swung at the ball with a mighty uppercut with the other arm. Gerhardt fumbled into the endzone, but unfortunately, Stanford recovered. But that was the heads-up play of a multi-year starter, not a FR in his first start. The kid has instincts to go along with physical ability.

delhalew
8/11/2010, 08:44 PM
We have so many good athletes, but Ronnell gets me so hyped up.

gaylordfan1
8/11/2010, 09:35 PM
We have so many good athletes, but Ronnell gets me so hyped up.

Watch the Oklahoma drill(on Soonersports.com), I believe it was the first one posted where Wort shrug off the block and popped Finch. After the hit he got up and was going crazy. I think that was the practice R. Lewis almost knocked Finch out.... Don't know why they didn't show that one.

OULenexaman
8/11/2010, 09:36 PM
We will see.....I just hope the conditioning regime and the weight gain he has shown doesn't overcome his frame limitations that STEP has mentioned happening in other players before...hence all the injuries in sooners at the next level that occurs...he does seem to have a rare talent though.

sooneron
8/11/2010, 10:50 PM

You mean like this?

heh

http://www.lostinthedetails.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/old_spice_on_a_horse1.jpg

oudavid1
8/11/2010, 10:56 PM
Ronnell is dangerous

TXBOOMER
8/11/2010, 11:57 PM
If we stay healthy on D, people are going to have a hard time scoring on us. I love these LB's!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/12/2010, 12:25 AM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/11/ou-practice-report-aug-11/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Sooners are working on adding a defensive wrinkle, and it involves Ronnell Lewis and true freshman Tony Jefferson.

But first, this is what the base defense currently looks like:
DE: Beal
DT: A. Taylor
DT: McFarland/McGee/Walker
DE: Alexander
SLB: R. Lewis

However, I expect OU to feature this defense a lot, especially against teams who favor throwing the ball:
DE: R. Lewis
DT: Beal/Alexander
DT: Taylor/McFarland/McGee/Walker
DE: Beal/Alexander
SLB: Tony Jefferson

Essentially, this is a 3-4 set, with Ronnell playing stand-up end (similar to what the NY Giants did with Lawrence Taylor).

The other thing interesting about this lineup is it puts a ferocious pass-rushing group on the field. Not only do you have to deal with Beal coming off the edge on one side, but Alexander and R. Lewis on the other. Plus OU could bring T. Lewis or Jefferson on blitzes.

Other news and notes from practice:
* The starting DEs are obvious with Beal and Alexander. Pryce Macon, whom Venables calls one of the most improved players in a year he’s ever seen, is the top backup, followed by David King. Ronnell should take a lot of snaps from the reserve ends, though.

* Ronnell is up to 245 pounds and is built like a tank. He’s much stouter than I remember him from last season, which is saying something.

* Speaking of impressive looking players, Tony Jefferson doesn’t look like a true freshman. Maybe a junior. He’s very imposing, and just looking at him you can see why the coaches feel physically he’s ready to play now. Jefferson is battling Joe Ibiloye and Marcus Trice for the nickelback spot.

* The competition at middle linebacker is ongoing. Austin Box and Tom Wort are going at it, and Daniel Franklin is in the mix, too. Should be a competition that runs all the way up to the opener, but I expect both Box and Wort to play a lot of snaps this season.

* The starting secondary is SS Quinton Carter, FS Jonathan Nelson, Field CB Demontre Hurst and Boundary CB Jamell Fleming. Right now, it sounds like Nelson will remain at safety, however, against teams that run 4-5 wide sets, Nelson will come up and be the third corner. Ideally, DB coach Willie Martinez would like to leave Nelson at safety in base sets, because of how prolific he was there last year. Nelson is a big luxury for this defense because of his ability to play either safety or corner.

Javon Harris is backing up Nelson at FS, while Sam Proctor is the top reserve at SS. Gabe Lynn is vying to be the third corner (although in reality, that spot will be held by Nelson). Freshman Aaron Colvin, out of Owasso, is someone who could see time.

“He’s playing with a lot of confidence,” Martinez said. “He has a lot of ball skills, instincts.”

* Adrian Taylor is still coming along, but Brent Venables said it’s a gradual process. We probably won’t know for a couple weeks if Taylor will be ready for the opener.

THAT... was a whole HELLUVA lot of words for this:

OU is "experimenting" with the 3-4, which is, and always has been, a modified "Oklahoma 5-2", simply being the DE's, one or both, are stand up, instead of down and may be more LB speed types, than traditional D-Linemen.

Oh by the way.... On the run in 2000, they used this liberally against FSU in the Orange Bowl.

This is not new.

Glad all of you were paying attention.

(For those of you thinking you have the "scoop" that we are gettin' all fancy and stuff... I beg you... please do not coach youth football. I cringe at how thoroughly you'll screw it up.)

budbarrybob
8/12/2010, 01:00 AM
:D

Funny story about this pic...

Ronnell was actually carrying the steed for the last 45 mins of the ride 'cause the horse was too tired. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
8/12/2010, 01:34 AM
:D

Funny story about this pic...

Ronnell was actually carrying the steed for the last 45 mins of the ride 'cause the horse was too tired. :D

Anyone doubt that young lad could eat the thing he is riding in one sitting?

I'm thinkin' he could...

rawlingsHOH
8/12/2010, 01:41 AM
These aren't new wrinkles. We've run 3-man front every year since Stoops has got here, some more than others. When we had that kickass front 4 with Tommie Harris and Dusty in the middle, '02-'03 especially, not so much.

But go watch Kansas and Texas games of 2009, we played about 75% 3-man front. Just because the names are different (Ronnell) doesn't mean it is schemed differently. Watch how much J.Beal played in a 2-point stance the last 2 seasons. English too, for that matter.

Chiliman
8/12/2010, 06:24 AM
OU has ran variations of the 3-4 in the past. However, I think we may see more of it this year, particularly against the spread. I think so in large part due to the LBs and DEs being as talented and as deep as I can ever recall. When we are in our base 4-3, there will a lot of Talented LBs and DEs standing next to BV on the sidelines.

TMcGee86
8/12/2010, 09:22 AM
Couple of things I like about this, (1) I think I read Stoops saying that Jefferson had some real pass rush ability. Assuming this pans out, I like the idea of him as an OLB in the 3-4 with RL or Beal on the other side. This will be fun to watch.

(2) I love seeing that Wort and Box are neck and neck for the MLB spot. At first this disturbed me because of that old adage of if you have two you have zero, but considering how injuries in that spot specifically have cost us big time in years past, having two good MLB's is a great thing.

gaylordfan1
8/12/2010, 09:34 AM
I don't think anyone here thinks this is the first time for our D to bring out the 3-4. Anyone who has any OU football knowledge knows this. I think he was commenting on how we have a great setup and the personnel to utilize it in a in a very effective way! Namely putting R. Lewis at the DE spot instead of just standing up one of our DE. Beal would be great standing up, but can you argue that putting him at his natural position down at DE while putting Lewis on the other end standing wouldn't be better. Then you have Lewis to cover if needed. Beal is great, but you want him rushing the passer not out in the flats covering a RB out of the backfield. Now, replacing Clayton at the SLB will be harder than we think. If Jefferson has anywhere close to the capabilities that we have heard about, he will be a great asset in this formation.

picasso
8/12/2010, 10:15 AM

How is that obvious? He made some great plays in our bowl game but that doesn't mean he graded out better than say, Jeremy Beal.

rawlingsHOH
8/12/2010, 10:43 AM
How is that obvious? He made some great plays in our bowl game but that doesn't mean he graded out better than say, Jeremy Beal.
Yes, ridiculous assumption. The guy has played about the equivilent of 2 games on defense, has 20 career tackles, and probably half of those were on teams. He is slated to start at SLB, where impact, in the Stoops scheme, is greatly diminished. They will move him around to put him in more play making opportunities, but lets first see him make some of those plays before we starting talking "top 5 of all-time" stuff.

OK2U
8/12/2010, 10:48 AM
Since we've already anointed the kid, we might as well change his nickname.
The Hammer doesn't seem appropriate any more.

Behold,
http://www.thesharonbaptistchurch.com/web_images/jesus-black-love.jpg
Black Jesus

KantoSooner
8/12/2010, 10:56 AM
Basically we're talking about the same defensive strategy that SI is touting (in clone covers with OSU, Texas, Bama and Boise - with three guys from each in their best Spiderman poses) as the 'Defense to win it all'. Right? Or am I missing something?
In which case, we'd be talking about the same defense that Stoops and some others have been using for most of the past decade, no?

gaylordfan1
8/12/2010, 10:58 AM
yes

SoonerPr8r
8/12/2010, 11:00 AM
Stoops did a live chat on sports nation this morning and this question came up.

Grant (Dallas)

Coach, 3-4 is such a hot topic now.....how do you incorporate some of those philosophies today?
Bob Stoops
(10:05 AM)

We've always been in and out of the 3-4 since I've been at Oklahoma. We use it in different situations during the game.

rawlingsHOH
8/12/2010, 11:27 AM
We've always been in and out of the 3-4 since I've been at Oklahoma. We use it in different situations during the game.
I agree with Coach Stoops.