PDA

View Full Version : Stoops hooks up with ESPN Thursday

Jay C. Upchurch
8/11/2010, 11:15 AM
NORMAN -- Oklahoma Head Football Coach Bob Stoops has accepted an invitation from ESPN to travel to Bristol, Conn., for a day of interviews on Thursday, Aug. 12. The Sooner coach is scheduled to do 14 interviews over a four-hour period with a mix of television, radio and internet appearances.

Here is the tentative schedule …

8:25 am – Mike & Mike Show (ESPN Radio)

8:45 am – Doug Gottlieb Show (ESPN Radio)

8:55 am – SportsCenter.com

9:05 am – ESPN Rise

9:20 am – The Herd (tape) (Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio)

9:45 am – SportsCenter

10:00 am – ESPN.com chat

10:25 am - 1250 ESPN Radio Pittsburgh

10:50 am – First Take

11:15 am – ESPNews

11:30 am – ESPNU

11:45 am – Digital Media

12:00 pm – ESPN.com video interview with Ivan Maisel

12:30 pm – 1:00pm – College Football Live

OU SID Report

Widescreen
8/11/2010, 11:24 AM
That doesn't sound fun.

KantoSooner
8/11/2010, 11:37 AM
Why would he do this? Pump the program preseason? Pump some players? Pump himself?
Frankly, that's a lot of content to give Espin for free: literally millions of dollars that they will make out of it.
So, what's in it for OU or for Bob personally?
I'm not implying anything in the least wrong with it; just curious.

soonerborn30
8/11/2010, 11:38 AM
Holy God, he's going to be ready to kill a member of the media by 9:45AM

goingoneight
8/11/2010, 11:44 AM
Meh... he does a similar schedule in Norman all the time. That's one of the reasons he closes practices. The day of the Spring Game and Fan Appreciation Day are just as busy I'm sure for the boss man. The difference now is the season is underway and ESPN has pulled their heads out from their azzes and realized that this Stoops guy has a pretty good team every year.

rawlingsHOH
8/11/2010, 11:49 AM
Why would he do this? Pump the program preseason? Pump some players? Pump himself?
Frankly, that's a lot of content to give Espin for free: literally millions of dollars that they will make out of it.
So, what's in it for OU or for Bob personally?
I'm not implying anything in the least wrong with it; just curious.
Pretty simple really, Exposure.

rawlingsHOH
8/11/2010, 11:54 AM
10:25 am - 1250 ESPN Radio Pittsburgh
This is the one I'd like to hear.

"How yins doin? I fully expect us to come out and play in a great way."

OUstud
8/11/2010, 12:06 PM
Holy God, he's going to be ready to kill Cowherd by 9:22 AM

fify

IronHorseSooner
8/11/2010, 12:12 PM
On CFB Live yesterday, and in their discussion of the Preseason Top 5 teams, Andre Ware and the host (I think it is Cassilias, but I might be wrong) made an interesting comment. It was that there is one team that when the cameras are off, and there are discussion in the hall, that is going to be dangerous, it is us! That could have been a lead up to the series of interviews that Coach will be giving on Thursday. The other team they mentioned was Iowa.

As well, they said that * and BSU were overrated. They said that * had far too many questions on offense, and people are downplaying those losses. When Herbie said the same thing earlier in the show, I though Musberger was going to have a coronary! Ware said the only reason that * was up there was because of their traditional success. Also, he said BSU will lose to VA Tech and will be out of there after the first week..

Huh, maybe ESPN is taking a different approach to Coach this year- say great things about his team and alma mater, and point out the issues with his chief rival and a team to whom he lost, instead of the other way around.

Tigeman
8/11/2010, 12:38 PM
Don't forget guys, they've already done this a few times this year.

They had Kiffen Day, and :mack: day, Pete Carrol Day, etc.

Theskipster
8/11/2010, 12:39 PM
That doesn't sound fun.

Erin Andrews will be hosting CFL for her first time Thursday.

TXBOOMER
8/11/2010, 12:40 PM
Good publicity for OU Recruits watch ESPN, the more Bob is on it the better. I am so ready for the season.

KantoSooner
8/11/2010, 01:39 PM
Pretty simple really, Exposure.

Thanks for the insight. Who'd have thought that being interviewed by the media would give you publicity?

No, really what I was looking for informed speculation as to why Bob would take this amount of time, at this time to do this.

Now that another poster has pointed out that several other promenent coaches are doing the same thing, I suppose I can rest satisfied that he's doing it because 'all the other guys are, too' and that it is part of the general politicking required of a head coach. I can buy that.

boomersooner28
8/11/2010, 01:49 PM
He pretty much HAS to do it if wants to recruit talent. Kids see Urban, Saban, Kiffin, Mack all over ESPN doing interviews so Bob has too....although this is the LAST thing he wants to do.

rawlingsHOH
8/11/2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the insight. Who'd have thought that being interviewed by the media would give you publicity?

No, really what I was looking for informed speculation as to why Bob would take this amount of time, at this time to do this.

Now that another poster has pointed out that several other promenent coaches are doing the same thing, I suppose I can rest satisfied that he's doing it because 'all the other guys are, too' and that it is part of the general politicking required of a head coach. I can buy that.
Take your head out of your arse and look at it for what it is. Exposure. Nothing hidden about it. Keep "OU" in the public spotlight.

It's the same exact reason why Mack Brown flew up to NYC for Day 2 of the NFL draft, to be their special guest analyst, purely on a whim. He didn't like how Day 1 was going. Too much Crimson and Cream taking over the air waves.

Being a college head coach is like being a CEO. It isn't just football. You are constantly selling.

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2010, 01:54 PM
There are also future TV contracts to consider and ESPN is obviously a big player and influencer. There will be football after the big12-2.

KantoSooner
8/11/2010, 02:23 PM
Take your head out of your arse and look at it for what it is. Exposure. Nothing hidden about it. Keep "OU" in the public spotlight.

It's the same exact reason why Mack Brown flew up to NYC for Day 2 of the NFL draft, to be their special guest analyst, purely on a whim. He didn't like how Day 1 was going. Too much Crimson and Cream taking over the air waves.

Being a college head coach is like being a CEO. It isn't just football. You are constantly selling.

Okay, so I ask a question, get a mild flame from you and fire back, now you go all jr. high girl on me.

No kidding, being a head coach of a major college program is more than standing in front of a chalk board or bellowing from the side line.

My question, perhaps poorly phrased, had more to do with any extenuating motivation. I apparently missed out on the fact that this is part of a series in which major school coaches are ALL doing this with ESPN. My apologies: I don't follow the daily perambulations of Lane Kiffin or Bo Pelini. I'll go further than that: I don't watch or pay attention to ESPN.

Mea maxima effing culpa.

Have a nice day.

prrriiide
8/11/2010, 02:30 PM
There are also future TV contracts to consider and ESPN is obviously a big player and influencer. There will be football after the big12-2.

IIRC, wasn't ESPiN a key player in keeping the BigXII alive THIS time around? Perhaps access to the coaches was part of the quid for that? ANd let's face it, after Stoops and Ol' YellerTooth, there aren't really that many interesting coached in the BigXII. I could see an angle for doing Shermy and Tubby and Sonic if their seasons go unexpectedly well over the first 6-8 weeks, but I don't think we see Gramps, Arthur, Pinky, and whoever the coach du jour is at KU and ISU. But most likely Bob and Slack are the only two we see. Nobody is really interested in hearing of the goings-on at a bottom-half program.

soonerborn30
8/11/2010, 02:37 PM
Holy crap there were a lot of nicknames in that post.

OK2U
8/11/2010, 03:35 PM

So THAT'S what you meant by "hooking up" with ESPN tomorrow.
Big Game Bob, indeed

Collier11
8/11/2010, 03:42 PM

Yum

BoulderSooner79
8/11/2010, 05:24 PM
Erin is so 2009.

Collier11
8/11/2010, 06:38 PM
shiiiittttttt

GKeeper316
8/11/2010, 06:47 PM

how the hell is erin andrews gonna be doing an interview with stoops when she's chained up in my basement?

oudavid1
8/12/2010, 02:13 AM
On CFB Live yesterday, and in their discussion of the Preseason Top 5 teams, Andre Ware and the host (I think it is Cassilias, but I might be wrong) made an interesting comment. It was that there is one team that when the cameras are off, and there are discussion in the hall, that is going to be dangerous, it is us!

This is great to hear, only does what everything OU does, gets me pumped.

That could have been a lead up to the series of interviews that Coach will be giving on Thursday. The other team they mentioned was Iowa.

Iowa will be decent, i think they will reak havoc in the big 12

As well, they said that * and BSU were overrated.

So true

They said that * had far too many questions on offense, and people are downplaying those losses.

Well its Texas

When Herbie said the same thing earlier in the show, I though Musberger was going to have a coronary!

I really like Musberger and if he has a texas bias, i really dont mind. Love his voice an energy.

Ware said the only reason that * was up there was because of their traditional success.

This dosnt bother me at all.

Also, he said BSU will lose to VA Tech and will be out of there after the first week..

agreed :D

Huh, maybe ESPN is taking a different approach to Coach this year- say great things about his team and alma mater, and point out the issues with his chief rival and a team to whom he lost, instead of the other way around.

I like this point of view and think its creative look at it. I hope Bob gets recruit attention which is truly the only positive out come.

But i would like to think that Bob would rather be at practice and the Ath Dept wanted him to go and its good pub.

OK2U
8/12/2010, 10:53 AM
First ESPN link of the DAY!

Stoops answers fan questions

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/33796/buz-with-bob-stoops
For example:

Geoff (Dallas): Which game do you expect DT Adrian Taylor to be 100 percent and in "real" football shape?

Bob Stoops : Hopefully by the third or fourth game.

Mississippi Sooner
8/12/2010, 11:03 AM
I caught the end of his interview on Mike & Mike when I was on the way to work this morning. All he was talking about then was how we need to come up with some way of punishing kids who get universities in trouble.

OK2U
8/12/2010, 11:04 AM
The ESPN big 12 blog will post clips, or the entire M&M broadcast w/ stoops later today. If I don't get to it first, someone will put it up here.

OK2U
8/12/2010, 11:39 AM
Stoops talks with ESPN (video):
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5457842&categoryid=2378529

goingoneight
8/12/2010, 11:52 AM
If Andre Ware is high on us winning it all this year, I feel really sorry for all of the opposing players' health as we get going.

bmjlr
8/12/2010, 12:48 PM
Best quote of the ESPN chat...

Best line of the day from the chat:

sweatervested1 (mobile,al): Bob- Look, I need your help! When I play my younger brother in NCAA football 11, he is dropping numbers on me like yall do Okie St. Since he is more coordinated than me, I just can’t keep up. What would be a solid defense to run against him? I need help. I’m like “0-don’t remember” against him. So, I want to hire you to run my defense. Will you work for $1 a game?
Bob Stoops: I was looking for a job on the side. I will be available.

http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/12/recapping-bob-stoops-espn-chat/

OK2U
8/12/2010, 12:53 PM
Link to Stoops' conversation with Mike&Mike on this page in the Show In Review bullet point section.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike

Collier11
8/12/2010, 01:20 PM
First ESPN link of the DAY!

Stoops answers fan questions

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/33796/buz-with-bob-stoops
For example:

The great thing about this chat transcript, Coach Stoops is the 1st person ive ever read a chat transcipt of and you could hear exactly how he talks during the chat, lol

Mississippi Sooner
8/12/2010, 01:41 PM
Did Bob really say "I don't think this shoulder will be a shoulder?"

HBick
8/12/2010, 02:47 PM
Anyone else watch the CFB interview?

thoughts?

Collier11
8/12/2010, 02:49 PM
Same stuff he has been saying all day, just repeated

Rocko
8/12/2010, 02:54 PM
Go F yourself Griese!

yankee
8/12/2010, 02:57 PM
LMAO craig james just predicted Nebraksa to beat Texas Tech in the big 12 championship game. did i hear that right??????

Mississippi Sooner
8/12/2010, 03:00 PM
LMAO craig james just predicted Nebraksa to beat Texas Tech in the big 12 championship game. did i hear that right??????

Well, they did let his boy out of the equipment shed. That's probably all it will take to put them over the top. :pop:

yankee
8/12/2010, 03:04 PM
Well, they did let his boy out of the equipment shed. That's probably all it will take to put them over the top. :pop:

i feel like there's a conflict of interest there....

freshchris05
8/12/2010, 05:54 PM
Paul (Columbus, OH)

What was your favorite College team as a kid? The Buckeyes?

Bob Stoops (10:11 AM)

I didn't really have one. I had a distant cousin that played for Michigan, so I kind of liked Michigan a little bit. And truthfully, I kind of followed Oklahoma, their tradition of winning, the Wishbone, all of those great backs.

Damn straight the wishbone.

CBUS_SOONER
8/12/2010, 06:21 PM
Being from columbus I love it when Coach sticks the Suckeyes. Everyone around here thinks he will take the Suckeye job when the vest leaves (lmfao). When Cooper was fired they thought they had Stoops for sure. People hate Stoops around here because they are pissed he dosen't want to be a Suckeye. They hate him but deep down they want him. I love it BOOMER!!!!

oudavid1
8/12/2010, 08:17 PM
Damn straight the wishbone.

This made me LOL!

Collier11
8/12/2010, 09:09 PM
Anyone have the link of Stoops on Cowherds show?

OU4LIFE
8/13/2010, 08:52 AM
Iowa will be decent, i think they will reak havoc in the big 12

*snort* good one.

sooneron
8/13/2010, 09:17 AM
Anyone have the link of Stoops on Cowherds show?

There's one on the espn cfb page.
Near the bottom, where coward belongs.

sooneron
8/13/2010, 09:17 AM
From the chat-

J.B. (Dunmore, PA)

OK coach important question here: Propane or charcoal?
Bob Stoops
(10:03 AM)

Charcoal. Definitely charcoal.

****in' A!

stoopified
8/13/2010, 09:51 AM
He pretty much HAS to do it if wants to recruit talent. Kids see Urban, Saban, Kiffin, Mack all over ESPN doing interviews so Bob has too....although this is the LAST thing he wants to do.Bingo.

This reminds me of oneof the major differences between Barry and Bob and how they approach being the OU headcoach; Barry did press gigs because he liked them and was good at it,Bob does them because he HAS to and it is obvious he would rather be somewhere else.

oudavid1
8/13/2010, 03:38 PM
Bingo.

This reminds me of oneof the major differences between Barry and Bob and how they approach being the OU headcoach; Barry did press gigs because he liked them and was good at it,Bob does them because he HAS to and it is obvious he would rather be somewhere else.

But i do love hearing his voice :D nO HoMo

bri
8/13/2010, 06:09 PM
Certainly. He speaks in a great way. Everyone knows that.

*hunches over, claps*

All right, fellas.