PDA

View Full Version : Signature Song Series #4 - Nirvana

Lott's Bandana
8/11/2010, 09:54 AM
This one might be more of a consensus than the others, but which song do you most associate with Nirvana and their success or "mission statement" and why?

Smells like...

Sooner04
8/11/2010, 09:56 AM
I never "got" Nirvana. I do know that Cobain offing himself made Novoselic and Grohl VERY rich men.

"In Bloom" was OK.

SoonerAtKU
All Apologies, particularly the Unplugged version.

BillyBall
This one might be more of a consensus than the others, but which song do you most associate with Nirvana and their success or "mission statement" and why?

Smells like...

That was their major break through, I associate them now mostly with their Unplugged album. Especially due to the timing of its release and his subsequent suicide.

Sooner04
8/11/2010, 09:57 AM
I associate them now mostly with their Unplugged album.
That was a great performance. Really good album.

sooneron
8/11/2010, 09:58 AM
Come As You Are or Lithium for me.

kbsooner21
8/11/2010, 10:06 AM
All Apologies

Boomer.....
8/11/2010, 10:16 AM
Smells Like Teen Spirit

OUstud
8/11/2010, 12:10 PM

Smells like...

Success: SLTS (obviously)
Mission statement: Scentless Apprentice. This was the first song that all 3 members collaborated on, and their consensus was that this would be common in their future (which didn't happen for obvious reasons). In Utero in general was the sound Cobain was looking for, a more raw sound than Nevermind.

ndpruitt03
8/11/2010, 12:12 PM
Smells Like Teen Spirit is probably their worst song. I'll go with Polly or their version of Where Did You Sleep Last Night.

soonerborn30
8/11/2010, 01:12 PM
Lithium. It's the first song I ever learned on drums.

yermom
8/11/2010, 01:30 PM
Smells Like Teen Spirit, but the unplugged version of All Apologies really tried to catch up

i think Lithium and In Bloom may have been my favorites they played on the radio

setem
8/11/2010, 02:02 PM
Rape Me

soonerboomer93
8/11/2010, 02:09 PM
I never "got" Nirvana. I do know that Cobain offing himself made Novoselic and Grohl VERY rich men.

"In Bloom" was OK.

Grohl's doing alright for himself even if he didn't have the "Nirvana" money.

I'm big on "You Know You're Right" personally.

starclassic tama
8/11/2010, 03:00 PM
sliver is my favorite, you can hear the emotion in his voice

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2010, 07:18 AM
Their signature song is Smells Like Teen Spirit. That really can't be disputed. One of my fave's is Verse Chorus Verse.

I would rank their studio albums:

1. Bleach
2. In Utero
3. Incesticide
4. Nevermind

Great band.

Collier11
8/12/2010, 01:22 PM
Heart Shaped Box

Scott D
8/12/2010, 06:21 PM
the one that sounds like a shotgun blast to the head.

delhalew
8/12/2010, 06:39 PM
Scentless Apprentice. They clearly never got the sound they were looking for until In Utero.

the_ouskull
8/12/2010, 06:40 PM
I tend to associate "...Teen Spirit" more with the death of hair metal than the birth of Nirvana. I mean, the boot was attached to Nirvana's foot, but metal's *ss was hanging out there for a while.

For me, Nirvana is "Come As You Are," "Something in the Way," and the unplugged "All Apologies." I got to see them live before Cobain died. (..and the Breeders opened. Score!) Great band. A generation-defining band, even.

the_ouskull

StoopTroup
8/12/2010, 07:14 PM
Love buzz

KC//CRIMSON
8/12/2010, 08:19 PM
I tend to associate "...Teen Spirit" more with the death of hair metal than the birth of Nirvana. I mean, the boot was attached to Nirvana's foot, but metal's *ss was hanging out there for a while.

For me, Nirvana is "Come As You Are," "Something in the Way," and the unplugged "All Apologies." I got to see them live before Cobain died. (..and the Breeders opened. Score!) Great band. A generation-defining band, even.

the_ouskull

You must be talking about the 1993 show at the OKC T&T Building with Nirvana, The Breeders, and Shonen Knife? GREAT SHOW!

soonerinabilene
8/12/2010, 08:41 PM
signature: smells like teen spirit
personal favorite: something in the way

ndpruitt03
8/12/2010, 09:25 PM
Smells Like Teen Spirit wasn't really Nirvana's style that much. It propelled them to popularity, but that song doesn't really define how Nirvana's music was.

the_ouskull
8/12/2010, 09:28 PM
You must be talking about the 1993 show at the OKC T&T Building with Nirvana, The Breeders, and Shonen Knife? GREAT SHOW!

I'twas, sir. Greater, in fact, for me in that I didn't have to pay for the ticket. I got a call a lil' bit before the show from a girl I'd fallen out of touch with after she pledged a sorority. Turns out, she had an extra ticket, and she and her sister would feel "safer" going with a guy than with another of their sisters. ("'Scared of mosh pit'" wasn't a pick-up line I ever thought I'd use, but tonight it worked," she would later write in her diary...)

That was a really, really great show. The Breeders ripped the stage up too. I really liked them live, like, a lot more than I do any of their particular albums. Some bands are like that. Some aren't. I love rap, but I could never go to a rap "concert." Unless actual musicians are involved (e.g. - Snoop on SNL) it's not very entertaining to hear a bunch of angry mumbling to a beat that is echoing over itself. Plus, there's the whole, "Who will shoot first, the performer, or the crowd," game of chance that's always in play.

the_ouskull

GKeeper316
8/12/2010, 09:39 PM
sig. smells like teen spirit
fav. jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam (unplugged)

Collier11
8/12/2010, 11:14 PM
I'twas, sir. Greater, in fact, for me in that I didn't have to pay for the ticket. I got a call a lil' bit before the show from a girl I'd fallen out of touch with after she pledged a sorority. Turns out, she had an extra ticket, and she and her sister would feel "safer" going with a guy than with another of their sisters. ("'Scared of mosh pit'" wasn't a pick-up line I ever thought I'd use, but tonight it worked," she would later write in her diary...)

That was a really, really great show. The Breeders ripped the stage up too. I really liked them live, like, a lot more than I do any of their particular albums. Some bands are like that. Some aren't. I love rap, but I could never go to a rap "concert." Unless actual musicians are involved (e.g. - Snoop on SNL) it's not very entertaining to hear a bunch of angry mumbling to a beat that is echoing over itself. Plus, there's the whole, "Who will shoot first, the performer, or the crowd," game of chance that's always in play.

the_ouskull

You got used, AWESOME!

Crucifax Autumn
8/13/2010, 02:48 AM
The sound of gunfire.

royalfan5
8/13/2010, 07:53 AM
I'm going to go with Lithium.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/13/2010, 08:05 AM
Signature? "Teen Spirit."

Favorite? Either "About a Girl" or "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"...both off Unplugged.

Echoing what others have said...MAN that's a good album. Even if it's not really "Nirvana Unplugged" but "Nirvana Toned-Down."

The prize of my Nirvana collection though is a bootleg of their last American show...January '94 at the Seattle Coliseum.

OUstud
8/13/2010, 11:32 AM
"And now with the song 'Lithium', probably the biggest band in the world right now..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC3YDuds5Ac

You just don't see this anymore. :(

KC//CRIMSON
8/14/2010, 07:49 AM

the_ouskull

The Breeders put on a great show. Saw them again in '08 in Lawrence, KS. Awesome.

Speaking of mosh pits, me and Bri still talk about how *ucking insane that pit was at the Nirvana show. If you fell down, you were dead. Scared the living schit out of us. Really dangerous.

StoopTroup
8/14/2010, 10:15 AM
Territorial Pissings also another raw pelted out song.

Nirvana's B-side stuff was top notch IMO.

delhalew
8/14/2010, 11:21 AM
The Breeders put on a great show. Saw them again in '08 in Lawrence, KS. Awesome.

Speaking of mosh pits, me and Bri still talk about how *ucking insane that pit was at the Nirvana show. If you fell down, you were dead. Scared the living schit out of us. Really dangerous.

I was at that show as well. At that age, I always made sure I was front and center. So I definitely felt the brunt of that pit. I'm amazed to say it rivaled Megadeth and Suicidal Tendency pits during their heyday.

yermom
8/14/2010, 03:00 PM
at that age i had never been to a show, and was living 2 hours away. if i knew then what i knew now, i would have totally gone

i've driven farther for less now...

i love the Breeders too. at least i should be able to see the Pixies in September

delhalew
8/14/2010, 03:18 PM
at that age i had never been to a show, and was living 2 hours away. if i knew then what i knew now, i would have totally gone

i've driven farther for less now...

i love the Breeders too. at least i should be able to see the Pixies in September

I saw the Pixies a lifetime ago...details are fuzzy...it was in LA...They have still got it. You will love it. Oooooooooh oooooh:D

Lott's Bandana
8/27/2011, 06:20 PM
bump

MR2-Sooner86
8/27/2011, 06:43 PM
Nirvana's greatest release?

The Safety

GDC
8/27/2011, 07:37 PM
I have no opinion. Never really "got" Nirvana. I do like Foo Fighters.

StoopTroup
8/27/2011, 07:43 PM
Kurt killed himself just to shut the bass player the hell up IMO. :D;)

delhalew
8/27/2011, 08:00 PM
one of those bands were success, and mission statement are polar opposites.

En_Fuego
8/28/2011, 01:14 AM
by6lyNC3D9Y

hawaii 5-0
8/28/2011, 01:25 PM
The one named for a female deodorant.

5-0