PDA

View Full Version : Local rag says OU is coming to N.M. in '12 (women)

NMSooner'80
8/10/2010, 09:39 AM
Young Lobos Will Face Stiff Competition This Season

By Ken Sickenger / Journal Reporter
Monday, 09 August 2010 23:18

You might think an extremely youthful UNM women's basketball team would be in line for a light schedule in 2010-11.

If so, you'd be mistaken.

Coach Don Flanagan unveiled a schedule on Monday that might best be described as somewhere between ambitious and brutal.

A Lobos squad with 11 sophomores and freshmen will face the likes of Texas Tech, Cal, Arizona and Oklahoma. UNM also could draw Oklahoma State and Arizona State as tournament opponents.

Texas Tech, Cal, Arizona and Oklahoma State will visit the newly remodeled Pit, while New Mexico travels to Oklahoma, UTEP and participates in the Arizona State Classic in Tempe. UNM's pre-Mountain West Conference slate also includes Cal Irvine, San Francisco, Lamar and home-and-away battles with New Mexico State.

Considering that Cal won last season's WNIT championship and Oklahoma was a Final Four qualifier, the schedule rates among the toughest of Flanagan's 16-year UNM career.

"I'm not sure we've had a tougher one," Flanagan said. "We could have three games against Pac-10 teams, three against Big-12 teams and the Mountain West is not gonna be any picnic."

The obvious question: Why such a loaded schedule when the Lobos have such limited experience? Amanda Best and Jessica Kielpinski are the only seniors on a team with three juniors and a slew of underclassmen.

Flanagan said it is partly a matter of coincidence. The Cal game is part of a home-and-home series that started when UNM played in Berkeley in 2007. The return game was repeatedly delayed until this season.

New Mexico also secured a home-and-home series with Oklahoma, which will visit Albuquerque in 2011-12.

"We owe it to our fans to schedule as tough as we can," Flanagan said. "When you're scheduling, you can't do it realizing you're gonna be young in a given season. We are young this year, but it's up to us to rise to the competition."

Flanagan said he gave his players copies of the schedule as they finished summer classes and workouts. He hoped the schedule would serve as motivation.

"They were pretty excited about it," Flanagan said. "They know they have to work hard the rest of the summer.

"Of course, most of the young players don't know what they're getting into with a schedule like this. That's probably a good thing."

badger
8/10/2010, 10:48 AM
Sherri Coale will meet any opponent, any time, any place, anywhere.
Preferably at LNC, preferably on national television, preferably against the biggest and baddest (in a good-bad way) opponent out there... in pink jerseys.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/okla/sports/genrel/auto_original/2037061.jpeg

I miss football season, but I also miss basketball season.

NMSooner'80
8/10/2010, 01:18 PM
I'm kind of surprised that they want to play OU after the three-game sweep of '05-07. We won twice in the Pit, both by double figures, and pounded them at the Myriad in late December of '06. That's the game in which Courtney had 43 points and 25 rebounds - and she would have scored 50 if she'd made her foul shots.

I missed the second game at the Pit in December of '05, due to illness. But I heard that some idiot from the UNM fan base threw a mini-basketball at Courtney as she was leaving the floor after that OU beat-down (OU won by 13, but it was a 27-point game at one time, and still 25 at the last media timeout). Too bad they didn't want to do something like that to her face ( ;) ).

NormanPride
8/11/2010, 10:11 AM
Hey, if it's a huge draw and the teams and fans have fun, keep doing it. Women's basketball still has a long way to go to becoming a legit draw most places. I'd bet teams are willing to get trounced in order to put butts in the seats.

badger
8/11/2010, 03:19 PM
Hey, if it's a huge draw and the teams and fans have fun, keep doing it. Women's basketball still has a long way to go to becoming a legit draw most places. I'd bet teams are willing to get trounced in order to put butts in the seats.

Sherri loves helping other programs grow. Other programs helped her grow OU's too.