View Full Version : Top Gear America?

Ike
8/10/2010, 09:30 AM
can it be as good as the original?

OvjHk8X8p_Y

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2010, 09:32 AM
No thanks.

Clarkson makes that show, without him its just a car show.

NormanPride
8/10/2010, 09:45 AM
I actually thought that clip was fun. I'll at least give it a try.

sooneron
8/10/2010, 09:45 AM
****ing kill me, I agree with Tuba.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2010, 09:48 AM
****ing kill me, I agree with Tuba.Welcome to the Majority. Enjoy your stay. :D

Ike
8/10/2010, 09:49 AM
They'll have a tough time doing as well as this (which I just picked from random among Top Gear clips)

-aU09WT5rXg

sooneron
8/10/2010, 09:54 AM
They'll have a tough time doing as well as this (which I just picked from random among Top Gear clips)

-aU09WT5rXg

That was one of my favorite episodes!

And Tuba, the day that you post something that you actually have knowledge of, will be the first. Cut and paste don't count.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2010, 09:57 AM
I think the best one yet is Clarkson reviewing that ****ty BMW X6 in different locals around the earth. Such as testing to see if the glove box works correctly in Australia. Or traveling to Hong Kong for a metaphor.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2010, 10:00 AM
And Tuba, the day that you post something that you actually have knowledge of, will be the first. Cut and paste don't count.Ironic that you typed this, after first agreeing with me in the very same thread!

sooneron
8/10/2010, 10:37 AM
Enjoying a show = not having much to do with knowledge. YWIA. :D

GottaHavePride
8/10/2010, 09:30 PM
I think the best one yet is Clarkson reviewing that ****ty BMW X6 in different locals around the earth. Such as testing to see if the glove box works correctly in Australia. Or traveling to Hong Kong for a metaphor.

That was flipping awesome. Their US road test was epic. The Botswana rally was even better. The South American trip was nerve-wracking.

yermom
8/11/2010, 12:53 AM
they got that Red Foreman guy?

i do like the idea of an American version just so the car info and prices make sense

i wonder if they will be able to break as much stuff :D

sooneron
11/23/2010, 12:29 AM
FAIL

AlboSooner
11/23/2010, 12:35 AM
For me the question is not, is it going to be as good as Top Gear UK, but rather would I spend 1 hour Sunday night to watch it? The answer is yes.

I only like the car stuff on the original show. I don't care much about their antics, and constant complaining in that nasal British accent.

Clarkson: I know this Ferrari costs too much, but I don't care as it performs so good.

two shows later...

I know this Lambo perfroms so good, but it's just too much money.

Driving Porsche Carrera Gt: this is the best car in the world, bar none, the best supercar ever made.

two months later driving Ferrari 458: this is the best car in the world, bar none, the best supercar ever made.

testing Corvette Zr1 vs Audi R8: I know the corvette is faster and cheaper, but buy the Audi because the interior is better.

He is simply to inconsistent to be taken seriously. And that midget host, who is not Clarkson, will jump at any chance to make Porsche look better, since he has like 9 Porsches. Watch the show, and any chance he has he will bring Porsche up.

AlboSooner
11/23/2010, 12:49 AM
Also, when Top Gear first started it was dull as ever. It took time for it to develop, for those three hosts to know each other and develop chemistry. Just like with a late night show, you have to give it time.
Tanner Foust is an absolute gear head, much better than any of the UK guys when it comes to driving and purism of car driving.

proud gonzo
11/23/2010, 01:23 AM
It's gonna suck.

sooneron
11/23/2010, 10:30 AM
He is simply to inconsistent to be taken seriously. And that midget host, who is not Clarkson, will jump at any chance to make Porsche look better, since he has like 9 Porsches. Watch the show, and any chance he has he will bring Porsche up.

I DO watch the show. It's better than the US version. And that is what gear heads/car enthusiasts are, they are brand loyal for the most part.
New show-
Adam Ferrara - Ok, I liked him on Rescue Me and loved him on The Job, but he's seriously out of his element here.
Fat hillbilly dude - annoying, sorry, you're just plain annoying
Tanner F- yes you can drive really well and you know your ****, but you're not really funny, like your sawed off UK counterpart.

The first big stunt- a Viper vs a Cobra attack helicopter was really nothing more than their chance to show off Foust's driving skillz. STUPID stunt. I realize that TG UK has done some stupid stunts, but they don't have to go to podunkville that no one cares about. That's the best thing about the UK show, they can drive balls out in so many places in Europe where you just can't do that in the US. It makes no sense to do it here.

proud gonzo
11/23/2010, 12:36 PM

I do watch the show, regularly. Clarkson is incredibly consistent in his opinions, as are Hammond and May. And if you think they can't be taken seriously, maybe you should watch the episode where they tested the Koenigsegg CCX, recommended it needed a spoiler, the company ADDED one (actually on their options list now for that car), and the Koenigsegg CCX with the Top Gear Wing became the fastest on their list of super cars.

Maybe YOU don't like the show, but worldwide you're outvoted.

AlboSooner
11/23/2010, 01:12 PM
I want to make myself clearer,
1. Top Gear USA is obviously an imitation of TG UK, since it has the same name, format and the Stig. As an imitation is was never the intention to make it better than the original one.

2. TG USA doesn't ask us: are we better than the original. That type of reasoning is out of the question; they are not better than TG Uk.

3. The only question they ask is this: would you spend 1 hours Sunday night, watching a familiar car show, with an American flavor? My answer is Yes. I an watch TG UK and TG USA where they review more cars which makse sense to our country. Not everybody is going out to buy a Porsche GT3 every day.

3. I like Clarkson only for not being PC. His opinions are inconsistent and I've watched every episode out there. He also misrepresents the cars. I an prove this point by taking you to YouTube.

a) Lie: The CSL doesn't come with a radio, and only has slick tires.
Truth: the radio was an option available, and other tires were available.
u3jVhsI26O4

b) Lie: there is no way to tell how fast you're going in a Ferrari 458 due to the nav system.
Truth: on the left hand side there's always a speedo, and this is visible in the same video Clarkson lied about.
2zVxE29Ke9U

He also simply loathes America. Even with the car he loves, the Ford GT, he tries and tries to find things wrong with it.

In this video, the corvette zr1 outperforms the Audi, and he tells people to buy the audi. EDIT: this is short version edited by BBC, but in the show when the Stig tested the cars, and the ZR1 was faster, Clarkson changes his mind and says buy the Audi.
g4CPBfpnye0

Like I said, I like his stance on the anti-nanny state, but he reviews are dependent on what his mood is for the day. We all like car shows, and we all think the original can't be replaced, but why not give our guys a chance. I think with time they will gel and find some chemistry

sooneron
11/23/2010, 04:31 PM
I want to make myself clearer,
1. Top Gear USA is obviously an imitation of TG UK, since it has the same name, format and the Stig. As an imitation is was never the intention to make it better than the original one.

??? WTF? The idea of an imitation is to hopefully, make it as good as the orig. LOL

2. TG USA doesn't ask us: are we better than the original. That type of reasoning is out of the question; they are not better than TG Uk.

Again. WTF? and at least we agree on the last part.

3. The only question they ask is this: would you spend 1 hours Sunday night, watching a familiar car show, with an American flavor? My answer is Yes. I an watch TG UK and TG USA where they review more cars which makse sense to our country. Not everybody is going out to buy a Porsche GT3 every day.

The only way I watch it is if the Sunday night game sucks. The show is about eye candy. I'm glad the US version is covering the everyman vehicles like the Lambos and Viper.:rolleyes:

3. I like Clarkson only for not being PC. His opinions are inconsistent and I've watched every episode out there. He also misrepresents the cars. I an prove this point by taking you to YouTube.

That's it? The guy is funny as heck and he works his *** off.

a) Lie: The CSL doesn't come with a radio, and only has slick tires.
Truth: the radio was an option available, and other tires were available.

I'm going to blanket this with the premise that a LOT of these tests are not performed with FINISHED models, they often get re worked before release. Do you also know of the filming dates? B/c this would correlate with my theory.

He also simply loathes America. Even with the car he loves, the Ford GT, he tries and tries to find things wrong with it.

In this video, the corvette zr1 outperforms the Audi, and he tells people to buy the audi. EDIT: this is short version edited by BBC, but in the show when the Stig tested the cars, and the ZR1 was faster, Clarkson changes his mind and says buy the Audi.

He reviews cars, isn't is his JOB to try to find things wrong with them?
:confused:
Faster doesn't always mean better. He might like the feel of one vehicle as opposed to the other. And saying that he loathes America is weak and unsupported. Face it, America for a long time, did not build cars for the enjoyment of driving, they built according to the accountants bottom line. TRUTH. The old USofA is going to have to live that down for a long time with the Euros.

Like I said, I like his stance on the anti-nanny state, but he reviews are dependent on what his mood is for the day. We all like car shows, and we all think the original can't be replaced, but why not give our guys a chance. I think with time they will gel and find some chemistry

Who doesn't give an opinion that is somewhat predicated upon their mood at the time of filming? BFD and weak sauce. As far as the Ferrari 458, I have no idea what the deal was, but I'm not going to be all Jeremy hater about it.

The
11/23/2010, 04:32 PM
You people take your TV damn serious...

AlboSooner
11/23/2010, 04:38 PM
Tv is srs business.

I still hold the view that it takes time for a show to mold into the finished product, as it was the case with very popular TG UK. I am willing to give TG USA a chance, and one hour of attention Sunday night.

sooneron
11/23/2010, 04:47 PM
On second look, I saw NO speedo when the nav was on during the race. Please post a screen shot of what you are seeing.

sooneron
11/23/2010, 04:47 PM

Well, it is my profession.

The
11/23/2010, 04:49 PM
Well, it is my profession.

You're a TV? Turn to Cartoon Network. I wanna watch Futurama.

AlboSooner
11/23/2010, 05:05 PM
On second look, I saw NO speedo when the nav was on during the race. Please post a screen shot of what you are seeing.

Go to the video and fast forward to 2:35: 1. you can see the speedo, 2. he says the screen on the left shows me a lot of things I'm not interested about, but the speedo is clearly visible. 3. when he says toward the end that he doesn't know how fast he's going, and he doesn't care but he knows he's somewhere in X-town. The camera zooms on the dashboard and the speedo is very visible on the left screen (the one he didn't care about), he was going 135mph.

He raves about Ferrari for being so techy, yet bashes the M5 for being the same.

Sooneron, this is starting to feel like a pissing match, and it was not my intention to do this. I have my opinions and you have yours. I've watched every episode possible and read his columns, in which he has urged the British govt. to break ties with the US. This tells me the guy is brilliant at entertaining but some time he's not quite right.

I am willing to watch both shows, and give TOP Gear USA an hour of my attention; you're not. It's cool with me.

When people go to China town in New York and buy a pair of Guci sun glasses, they rationally don't expect them to have all the qualities of a pair of Gucci sunglasses.

AlboSooner
11/23/2010, 05:16 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee483/albosooner/top-gear.jpg

Prior to posting the video I searched for better versions, but YouTube has pulled them down. All I could find was the poor version I showed, which the right is on the left and the left on right, probably the person recorded the show with his video camera straight from a TV. That's why there is a distortion.

proud gonzo
11/23/2010, 06:25 PM
You're a TV? Turn to Cartoon Network. I wanna watch Futurama.

omg you're obnoxious.

sooneron
11/23/2010, 06:52 PM
http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee483/albosooner/top-gear.jpg

Prior to posting the video I searched for better versions, but YouTube has pulled them down. All I could find was the poor version I showed, which the right is on the left and the left on right, probably the person recorded the show with his video camera straight from a TV. That's why there is a distortion.

If that is a speedo, that is a big fail on Ferrari's part. It's friggin small and a nav should never be in the dash cluster. Makes no sense and I love that car.

jumperstop
11/23/2010, 07:03 PM
I love Top Gear, but I have a feeling that the American version will suck a bit.

sooneron
11/23/2010, 09:59 PM
He raves about Ferrari for being so techy, yet bashes the M5 for being the same.

It seemed the contrary to me. He didn't like the techy aspects of the steering wheel and in his long form vid - The Italian Job, he mentions that the 458 seems to be missing a soul. Whatever, we can have our disagreement about Jeremy or the US version, but I thought what you were bringing up could be addressed and I think I did. As to his politics, I could give a ****, there are plenty of actors that I give money to in a more direct manner and I don't always agree with what they say. To each his own...

PhilTLL
11/23/2010, 10:20 PM

Does this include the episode wherein they reveal the GT quite literally did not turn on for the first 2 days, then told his monitoring service it was stolen every time he drove it anywhere?

soonerinkaty
11/23/2010, 10:23 PM
I thought it was turrible.

sooneron
11/23/2010, 11:16 PM
Does this include the episode wherein they reveal the GT quite literally did not turn on for the first 2 days, then told his monitoring service it was stolen every time he drove it anywhere?

Was that the race to the bridge in France? cuz that was awesome!

AlboSooner
11/24/2010, 12:07 AM
I'm fine with agreeing to disagree. The first episode was rough, but I found myself expecting that, and I somehow enjoyed it, even though it didn't feel like TG. :)

Hopefully it gets a lot better.

and yes, I've watched every episode. ;)

Ike
11/28/2010, 11:15 PM
That first episode was pretty rough. But I'm through the first segment of the second episode, and at least that segment was worthy of the Top Gear moniker. Was some pretty cool stuff. We'll see what the rest has to offer, but it looks like they are getting at least a bit better.

yermom
11/28/2010, 11:18 PM
i still haven't seen the first one, but the second one seems a little hollow

it would probably be different if i hadn't seen the BBC one

Ike
11/28/2010, 11:31 PM

It is a little hollow. They don't quite have the chemistry together, and it seems that they just don't quite have the timing that you would want from them. But 1 good segment so far is more than I expected.

Also, their 'announcing' of the stigs laps and the stars laps leaves a lot to be desired.

AlboSooner
11/29/2010, 12:29 AM

I think the jokes are too PC, and the car stuff not good enough. Besides Tanner, the other guys don't seem much like gear heads.

I hope it gets better, and I can spend an hour Sunday watching this.