PDA

View Full Version : Van Gundy: Heat Can Win 73

Eielson
8/9/2010, 07:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5450211

When Michael Jordan presents Scottie Pippen during his Hall of Fame induction this weekend, it's a safe bet the Chicago Bulls' record-setting, 72-win season of 1995-96 will find its way into the speech.

Jeff Van Gundy joined "The Waddle & Silvy Show" to discuss whether the Heat will beat the Bulls' record of 72 wins.

According to Jeff Van Gundy's thinking, it's a good thing Pippen is being inducted this year, because Van Gundy predicts that record might fall this season.

Van Gundy, speaking Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000, backed up a prediction he made to the Miami Herald that the Miami Heat can break the Bulls' record.

"I would think that everybody would think they would have a great shot at it," said Van Gundy, a former NBA head coach and current ABC/ESPN analyst. "I don't know if I said they will or they have a great chance, whatever I said, I just think if they're healthy, the discrepancy between their talent level and and the next level is so great, that I just don't see how they lose games. I think they're that good."

Van Gundy told the Herald that the Heat will break the record, and that they have a "legit shot" at the Los Angeles Lakers' 33-game win streak, which they set in the 1971-72 season.

"Erik Spoelstra is a heck of a coach, so they're going to be motivated to play well defensively, which is about coaching, and offensively they're going to be an absolute nightmare to deal with," Van Gundy said on ESPN 1000. "If LeBron James can win 66 games in the regular season with the guys he played with, who I think are better than people have given them credit for in Cleveland, then I think you add Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller, it's not a stretch to say they can win six more."

Van Gundy backed off -- slightly -- from his claim that the Lakers are the only team that could beat the Heat in a playoff series.

"I think Boston -- with the [Shaquille] O'Neal signing -- has a legitimate chance as well," he said. "But I think those are the only two teams that have a chance in a playoff series to beat them."

Van Gundy said he likes what the Bulls have done in adding Carlos Boozer, Kyle Korver, C.J. Watson, Ronnie Brewer and Keith Bogans, but he still doesn't see Chicago among the elite in the Eastern Conference.

"I think you've got Miami, and you have Boston just a notch below them," he said. "Orlando would have to be right below them, then I think Atlanta's a very good team.

"I would put those four teams clearly ahead of them right now, and I think Chicago could be fifth, sixth, seventh or eighth -- somewhere in that range."

Van Gundy believes it's become popular to pick against the Heat.

"I think people are trying to pick on Miami right now instead of opening their eyes to just how great they are," he said. "There are going to be no chemistry issues. Wade and James are unselfish players.

"That doesn't mean if they win a championship it's a great accomplishment either, because they're so much better than everybody. But to discount just how good they are, I think people are making a mistake."

Eielson
8/9/2010, 07:57 PM
Despite the fact that I believe the Bulls were a much better team, I'm thinking that the Heat can win 73 games in the East if they stay healthy. However, I doubt that they will break the 33 game streak or win the championship. What do you guys think?

JLEW1818
8/9/2010, 08:01 PM
talked about this a couple days ago.

Kobe, Shaq, Payton, Malone - did not work.

Hakeem, Barkley, Drexler - Did not work.
Hakeem, Pippen, Barkley - Did not work.

Chemistry is so overlooked....there is only ONE basketball.

72 games with a guy like LeBron who quit in game 5, and a guy like Bosh who is Tmac like in his pursuit of fame over wins.....and then Wade....probably the best competitor of the bunch.....but who gets the ball late, Wade or Lebron?

Whose ego gets checked?

It is all wine and roses now, but wait until someone is up in their face guarding them.

Do you think Lebron and his "Look at me" attitude can do it? What about Bosh and his "Follow me on Twitter" can do it?

The first time these guys see adversity and the finger pointing comes out....they will fall apart like cheap corn bread.

I'm sure the argument will be that all 3 of these guys are in their respected prime... so time will tell i guess.

Eielson
8/10/2010, 11:53 AM
Kobe, Shaq, Payton, Malone - did not work.

Didn't work? They won the Western conference, and if it weren't for Malone's injury and Kobe's rape case, they very well may have won it. Let's also point out that Payton was 35 and Malone was 40.

Hakeem, Barkley, Drexler - Did not work.

Another terrible comparison. Barkley was 33, Olajuowon was 34, and Drexler was 34. Even with that, they did win 57 games and make it to the western conference finals before losing to a great Utah Jazz team.

Hakeem, Pippen, Barkley - Did not work.

As if the other comparison wasn't bad enough, you decided to get even older. Barkley was 35, Olajuwon was 36, and Pippen was 33.

72 games with a guy like LeBron who quit in game 5, and a guy like Bosh who is Tmac like in his pursuit of fame over wins.....and then Wade....probably the best competitor of the bunch.....but who gets the ball late, Wade or Lebron?

You can't call out Lebron for his effort in the regular season. There is a reason his teams have been winning over 60 games in the regular season despite not even getting close to a championship.

I'm sure the argument will be that all 3 of these guys are in their respected prime... so time will tell i guess.

Well yeah. This isn't like the people you mentioned who were a decade past their primes. I didn't say this team would win a championship, but 70+ wins is very reachable for them.

ouleaf
8/10/2010, 12:34 PM
I certainly don't think the 72 win or 33 game streak records are in jeopardy this year. Maybe after a season or two they will have really had some time to gel as a group. But honestly I just don't know if we'll ever see any team break either of those records.

Eielson
8/10/2010, 01:25 PM
I just don't see too many teams in the East giving them much trouble in the regular season. Boston will be trying to preserve themselves and be ready for the post season. Cleveland is no longer a factor. Atlanta won't be able to compete with them, especially in Miami. Basically the only team that will even attempt to stand in their way during the regular season will be Orlando. Even Cleveland won 61 and 66 games the last two years in this conference. Wade and James play hard in the regular season, so I think it's very possible.

JLEW1818
8/10/2010, 01:28 PM
E,

"work" meaning win a championship.

But yes the Malone Lakers was still impressive.

So yes some of these worked, but didn't matter in the end.

JLEW1818
8/10/2010, 01:29 PM
Didn't work? They won the Western conference, and if it weren't for Malone's injury and Kobe's rape case, they very well may have won it. Let's also point out that Payton was 35 and Malone was 40.

Another terrible comparison. Barkley was 33, Olajuowon was 34, and Drexler was 34. Even with that, they did win 57 games and make it to the western conference finals before losing to a great Utah Jazz team.

As if the other comparison wasn't bad enough, you decided to get even older. Barkley was 35, Olajuwon was 36, and Pippen was 33.

You can't call out Lebron for his effort in the regular season. There is a reason his teams have been winning over 60 games in the regular season despite not even getting close to a championship.

Well yeah. This isn't like the people you mentioned who were a decade past their primes. I didn't say this team would win a championship, but 70+ wins is very reachable for them.

10 years past their prime? no

Hakeem won still dominate in 1995

Eielson
8/10/2010, 01:38 PM
E,

"work" meaning win a championship.

But yes the Malone Lakers was still impressive.

So yes some of these worked, but didn't matter in the end.

Well I never said this Miami team would win a championship. I just said they were a threat to make a 70+ win run this season.

Eielson
8/10/2010, 01:39 PM
10 years past their prime? no

Hakeem won still dominate in 1995

So you're saying all the other ones were? :P

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2010, 04:22 PM
I'll take the under

Curly Bill
8/10/2010, 04:45 PM
Definitely in on the under.

JLEW1818