PDA

View Full Version : State Senator Brogdon endorses Fallin

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/9/2010, 07:16 PM
Randy Brogdon Endorses Mary for Oklahoma Governor

Senator Brogdon said “Unlike her Democrat opponent, Mary has fought tooth and nail against President Obama's unconstitutional federal takeover of the health care system. She's stood up for gun rights and she's stood by Arizona in their fight to enforce the rule of law and stop the flood of illegal immigration at our borders. Mary is the conservative choice for governor in November, and I am asking those constitutional conservatives who supported my campaign to now support Mary in hers.”

Mary praised Senator Brogdon as a principled leader and said “I am pleased to have his support and I can assure both him and his supporters that I am ready to restore conservative principles to the governor's office.”

Mary Leads in First Poll on Fall Gubernatorial Race

National polling firm Rasmussen Reports recently released the first post-primary public poll on November’s gubernatorial race.

Rasmussen reported Mary leading Jari Askins 57 percent to 36 percent. Rasmussen said “For Askins, the race is clearly an uphill battle in a conservative, Republican-leaning state where opposition to the national health care bill and to the federal challenge of Arizona's immigration law are well above findings nationally.”

Your Support is Important!

The media reports Askins spent $775,000 of her own money during the primary. There’s no telling how much she will spend this fall. And we are hearing that liberal, out-of-state groups want to spend money against Mary because they know she’ll stand up to their Obama-style, big-government agenda.

We’ve been fortunate to have donations from more than 4,500 generous individuals, many donations in smaller increments. We expect a tough and expensive race this fall, so your contribution would be greatly appreciated.

Okla-homey
8/9/2010, 07:50 PM
Could Mary Fallin or Randy Brogdon utter a single paragraph without using the words "constitution" or "conservative?" I think not.

And as to "fighting tooth and nail" against the Federal gubmint to stop this or that, I'm down with stopping the fiscally unsustainable madness, but the way to do it is at the ballot box by electing people to Congress who will vote to repeal the crap.

Not passing state legislation saying "we aren't gonna play." That nullification stuff was discredited in the 19th century. It's just silly demagoguery for the masses.

8/9/2010, 09:10 PM
Haven't you had enough Democrats? ye gods, one would think so, by now!

OhU1
8/9/2010, 09:20 PM
I just fell out of my chair...

Pricetag
8/9/2010, 10:06 PM
Mary has fought tooth and nail against President Obama's unconstitutional federal takeover of the health care system. She's stood up for gun rights and she's stood by Arizona in their fight to enforce the rule of law and stop the flood of illegal immigration at our borders.
Does anyone else smell a new "Fallin Plan"?

1. Fight tooth and nail against President Obama's unconstitutional federal takeover of the healthcare system.

2. Stand up for gun rights.

3. Stand by Arizona in their fight to enforce the rule of law and stop the flood of illegal immigration at our borders.

No one will plan better. No one.

tommieharris91
8/10/2010, 12:43 AM
Looks like I'm voting for Askins.

8/10/2010, 12:45 AM
Looks like I'm voting for Askins.That's 'cause you're a freakin' economics genius.

GKeeper316
8/10/2010, 03:17 AM
Jari not Mary!

AlbqSooner
8/10/2010, 06:14 AM
Not having lived in Oklahoma since '87, I honestly don't know the answer to this question. Where did Askins, a former Judge, get $775,000 of her own money to spend on this election?

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 06:16 AM
Not having lived in Oklahoma since '87, I honestly don't know the answer to this question. Where did Askins, a former Judge, get $775,000 of her own money to spend on this election?

She's in her 50's, has no children and never been married. Thus, like any other college graduate of that age who is kidless and has never been married, she's rich. ;)

AlbqSooner
8/10/2010, 06:22 AM
Cept those who have provided nice retirement portfolios for 3 ex-wives.

Breadburner
8/10/2010, 07:09 AM
I'm voting for the cute one.....

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 08:03 AM
I'm voting for the cute one.....

Just remember, no matter how cute you find a gal, somewhere in the world, there is a guy who split when he got tired of her crap.

C&CDean
8/10/2010, 08:25 AM
So, Jari's a lez?

badger
8/10/2010, 08:51 AM
Vote for Mary and you will see it rain in Oklahoma again:
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mary-fallin-rain.jpg

Don't you want all of these 100 degree days to end, or would you rather just stare at big fish all day?
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jari-askins-noodling.jpg

(pics stolen from thelostogle.com)

TheHumanAlphabet
8/10/2010, 08:59 AM
Okay, not been in OKlahoma for a long time. Who is this Jari Askens? I mean, where is she from, what has she done to be running for Gov?

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 09:29 AM
Okay, not been in OKlahoma for a long time. Who is this Jari Askens? I mean, where is she from, what has she done to be running for Gov?

She's from Durant. She's a former district court judge who was also a multi-term state legislator. She ran the state pardon and parole board. She's also an OU alumna, unlke the trooper-schtooper.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/mary-fallin-rain.jpg

That's probably about all the folks who will be voting for her.

Rasmussen reported Mary leading Jari Askins 57 percent to 36 percent.

soonerscuba
8/10/2010, 10:04 AM
http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/jari-askins-noodling.jpg

I thought her hands smelled like fish for an entirely different reason.

I should be above this, but I'm not.

OklahomaTuba
8/10/2010, 10:07 AM
Jeri Askins, brought to you by Tyson Chicken!

I'm guessing that Catfish isn't from the Illinois River now, is it?

Soonerwake
8/10/2010, 10:20 AM
She's from Durant. She's a former district court judge who was also a multi-term state legislator. She ran the state pardon and parole board. She's also an OU alumna, unlke the trooper-schtooper.

She's actually from Duncan. And a very nice lady..

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 11:07 AM

You are of course correct. And I agree, she's a fine person who understands the law and the Constitution. Which is what we need to help moderate the bunch on Lincoln Boulevard.

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 11:11 AM
I'm struggling to articulate this, so bear with me. I love my Okie peeps. They are literally the salt-of-the-earth. What I don't get is what I call the "Okie Paradox." To wit, my peeps, seem hell-bent on supporting politicians and policies that hurt them, only because the politicians shilling said polices wrap them up in in the Lord, the flag and the Constitution. It's frustrating.

OhU1
8/10/2010, 11:27 AM
To wit, my peeps, seem hell-bent on supporting politicians and policies that hurt them, only because the politicians shilling said polices wrap them up in in the Lord, the flag and the Constitution. It's frustrating.

Demagoguery seems to work too well in this state. As a result it appears we're getting a lot of no substance republicans into office. The type that specialize in shallow knee jerk social issues that gain attention but do nothing to move our state forward.

8/10/2010, 01:29 PM
Okay, not been in OKlahoma for a long time. Who is this Jari Askens? I mean, where is she from, what has she done to be running for Gov?Jari Askins/Oklahoma = Janet Napolitano/Arizona? You go, girl!

C&CDean
8/10/2010, 01:55 PM
I'm struggling to articulate this, so bear with me. I love my Okie peeps. They are literally the salt-of-the-earth. What I don't get is what I call the "Okie Paradox." To wit, my peeps, seem hell-bent on supporting politicians and policies that hurt them, only because the politicians shilling said polices wrap them up in in the Lord, the flag and the Constitution. It's frustrating.

Dude. C'mon. You think homo marriages are groovy and killers should be coddled. The average Okie disagrees and votes accordingly. Supporting liberal causes does not = intelligent voting. If a person agrees with a policy another is pimping then they should vote for them - and against them if they disagree. Besides, both sides are guilty of wrapping everything up in the Lord, the flag, etc. in this state. Hell, if they didn't, they wouldn't stand a chance.

I haven't decided yet who I'll vote for, but not being married, no kids, etc. makes Jari scary. At least Fallin likes her a dick every now and then which = normal in my mind.

Ike
8/10/2010, 02:05 PM

Some thoughts on why:
1) We are more trusting than we want to believe. A lot of people like to talk about how they distrust members of either party...but they rarely, if ever, show that distrust at the ballot box. We come to see one party or the other as 'generally on the right track' and the other party as 'the enemy'...This isn't unique to Okies either. It often takes a big scandal to derail the political career of someone who has already been elected to office....and sometimes even that isn't enough (see Marion Barry)

2) I think a lot of people want to be more apathetic toward politics. Not that they want to care less, but they want to feel as if they no longer need to care. They think that everything should just work. Let's face it, the average Joe would really love to just get on with his day and not have to worry about what the twits on Capitol Hill are up to now. So politicians looking to get the average Joe's vote would do well to wrap themselves in the Flag, the Bible, and the Constitution...because the Average Joe has been brought up to believe that these things are infallible, perfect, and awesome. And if that politician is from the party that he has come to believe is 'generally on the right track', then if you (as the politician) have done a good job wrapping yourself up in those things, then you can usually be assured that at worst, Mr. Average Joe won't vote for the other guy. To actually get Mr.-I-don't-want-to-care to come and vote for you, you probably have to do a decent job of painting your opponent as being against the flag, the constitution, and the bible.

3) Note here that thus far, nothing has been said about actual policies. But when it comes to actual policies, we as a people tend to get sidetracked by issues that really don't affect us directly...like gay marriage. Or we tend to view only one side of the coin on issues that do affect us directly....like "this candidate will cut taxes, but then they are either going to have to run up some debt (essentially forcing taxes to be raised in future years), drain the 'rainy day fund', or shut down some fire stations." A lot of people would look at that and say something like "lower taxes! wooohoo" or "oh noes, we can't lay off the firemens!" We worry about whether our taxes go up or down, or whether the government does a particular thing well or poorly, but rarely do we ask ourselves things like "How much should I be paying to know that if my house catches fire, the fire department will be here in 5 minutes or less? How much is that really worth to me?" and then look at the percentage of our taxes that go to that and see whether or not we are getting a good deal.

Soonerwake
8/10/2010, 02:15 PM
I can tell you that I am not privy to Jari's sexual preference, but that she has dated men in the past. I will take her lack of a husband/family over Mary's lack of morals any day, especially for a woman who professes "Faith, Family, and Freedom". Her propensity for state troopers as a married woman was legendary and a certainly not contained to just the one she got caught with. That is my understanding anyway from several people "in the know".

Both are nice ladies. I have worked with both of them. I know that Jari Askins isn't scared to take a stance, and is the most conservative "liberal" you will ever meet. On the other hand, I am a little worried about who is pulling the strings for Mary Fallin. She was almost exclusively a hand-shaking, ribbon-cutting LT. Gov. and did absolutely nothing of note in Congress. Her position on issues is generally whatever her "handlers" tell her say.

Soonerwake
8/10/2010, 02:20 PM
And, from what I have witnessed from both candidates is that Jari Askins seems to really care about the common, hard-working Oklahoman, while Mary Fallins is much more concerned about her next office.

Oh, and I haven't voted for a Democrat in about 15 years. Jari Askins will be my first.

C&CDean
8/10/2010, 02:35 PM
Just so you don't drink all the OVJ before anybody else can get it I don't care who you're voting for.

OULenexaman
8/10/2010, 02:39 PM
either choice beats anything we have too choose from in Illinois...

8/10/2010, 02:41 PM
And, from what I have witnessed from both candidates is that Jari Askins seems to really care about the common, hard-working Oklahoman, while Mary Fallins is much more concerned about her next office.

Oh, and I haven't voted for a Democrat in about 15 years. Jari Askins will be my first."Charlie Brown, kick this football. We won't pull it away this time, haha."-Lucy, D Duncan

BTW, who was the last D you voted for, and why haven't you voted for one since then?

GKeeper316
8/10/2010, 03:04 PM

jari askins makes about 20 mil annually from oil and gas.

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 03:51 PM

If that's true, that's marvelous because it would be tough to turn her head, or buy her support, with sparklies. I'm going to look into that and report back. I think I can get a straight answer because I've been a supporter for a while now.

People need to remember something else, an Okie Donk, with the exception of their general position on public schools which is part of the problem IMHO, would be a 'Pub on either coast. If I thought for a second Jari was a "Pelosi on the Plains," I wouldn't support her as I do.

Leroy Lizard
8/10/2010, 05:08 PM

That's because they like the Lord, the flag, and the Constitution.

What you are really asking is, "Why don't my Okie peeps sell out their principals in exchange for goodies?"

Without principals, ruling a country is easy. Just wave a little cash in front of people's noses and you got 'em. The New Deal is a perfect example.

Just like you with Mexicans. Sure, it may violate our laws and undermine our sovereignty, but if you can get landscaping with illegal labor for just a tad cheaper, it's all cool. And you can't understand why someone would oppose illegal immigration.

This is the difference between an opinion and a principal.

My uncle's like you. He thinks that large chains are the ruination of this country, and he says it very loudly. He sneers at them. He even wrote a letter to the editor denouncing them. But where does he shop? Lowe's. Office Depot. Where does he eat? McDonald's. And why? He can get it cheaper there. And what does he think of those who go to small shops? Fools who waste their money.

Leroy Lizard
8/10/2010, 05:11 PM
If that's true, that's marvelous because it would be tough to turn her head, or buy her support, with sparklies.

Total myth. Rich people can be bought just as easily as anyone else, and for shockingly low money. At what point will we ever learn this lesson?

8/10/2010, 05:13 PM
...I think I can get a straight answer because I've been a supporter for a while now.

People need to remember something else, an Okie Donk, with the exception of their general position on public schools which is part of the problem IMHO, would be a 'Pub on either coast. If I thought for a second Jari was a "Pelosi on the Plains," I wouldn't support her as I do.As if it EVER makes sense to vote for a D. They almost always tow the Party line(socilist, authoritarian), when making decisions on significant things, regardless of how conservative they campaign. YOU SHOULD REALIZE THIS BY NOW, CHARLIE BROWN!

Leroy Lizard
8/10/2010, 05:16 PM
And, from what I have witnessed from both candidates is that Jari Askins seems to really care about the common, hard-working Oklahoman...

:rolleyes: (No matter which party they represent.)

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 05:48 PM
As if it EVER makes sense to vote for a D. They almost always tow the Party line(socilist, authoritarian), when making decisions on significant things, regardless of how conservative they campaign. YOU SHOULD REALIZE THIS BY NOW, CHARLIE BROWN!

Name one thing Brad Henry has ever done that hurt you in the wallet? Or could be classed as anti-business or anti-God. The only thing he ever did that ticked me off was his veto of open carry.

8/10/2010, 07:07 PM
Name one thing Brad Henry has ever done that hurt you in the wallet? Or could be classed as anti-business or anti-God. The only thing he ever did that ticked me off was his veto of open carry.I haven't studied him, but is he pro Arizona 1070? Is he for lowering state income taxes and other taxes? Veto of open carry is bad. Has he spoken out against Obamacare? What has he done that you approve of?

Okla-homey
8/10/2010, 08:07 PM
I haven't studied him, but is he pro Arizona 1070? Is he for lowering state income taxes and other taxes? Veto of open carry is bad. Has he spoken out against Obamacare? What has he done that you approve of?

What diff does it make if he's pro lowering taxes or the pathetically useless and waste of time because it couldn't pass Constitutional muster AZ 1070?

The 'Pub controlled legislature passes the laws and controls taxation. The guv can't lower state taxes. WTF hasn't the 'Pub controlled legislature lowered our taxes? I'll tell you. Because they realize we can't afford to do so, as much as it pains me to admit it. As to speaking out against Obamacare, that might make people feel good, but that has about the same effect as a bucket of doodly-squat in stopping it here in Oklahoma.

As far as stuff he's done I like, off the top of my head, I approve of his willingness to sign the tribal-state gaming compact into law, which he did. You should be happy he signed the useless HB 1804 that was calculated to run all the messicans out of Oklahoma. But didn't.

8/10/2010, 09:07 PM
What diff does it make if he's pro lowering taxes or the pathetically useless and waste of time because it couldn't pass Constitutional muster AZ 1070?

The 'Pub controlled legislature passes the laws and controls taxation. The guv can't lower state taxes. WTF hasn't the 'Pub controlled legislature lowered our taxes? I'll tell you. Because they realize we can't afford to do so, as much as it pains me to admit it. As to speaking out against Obamacare, that might make people feel good, but that has about the same effect as a bucket of doodly-squat in stopping it here in Oklahoma.

As far as stuff he's done I like, off the top of my head, I approve of his willingness to sign the tribal-state gaming compact into law, which he did. You should be happy he signed the useless HB 1804 that was calculated to run all the messicans out of Oklahoma. But didn't.You ARE a Democrat. Prayers.

Okla-homey
8/11/2010, 06:04 AM
You ARE a Democrat. Prayers.

No I'm not. But Huey "The Kingfish" Long was. He was the original King of Demagoguery. I think far too many Republican candidates and pols have been channeling the late Kingfish lately.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/11/2010, 08:54 AM

If she is from little dixie, she has to be extremely Demo. I am shocked she went to OU. Though that would have no bearing on my vote. Brad Henry went to OU and he is a doosh.

Anyone remember when he was UOSA President? I think he ran the year we ran Max Planck as a write-in. It took three elections and a banning of write-in votes to name a winner.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/11/2010, 08:56 AM

How does she feel about Big Oil?

TheHumanAlphabet
8/11/2010, 08:59 AM

Please expand... She some big family from Haliburton or something???

JohnnyMack
8/11/2010, 09:08 AM
Republicans are good.

Democrats are bad.

Pay attention.

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 09:45 AM
Just so you don't drink all the OVJ before anybody else can get it I don't care who you're voting for.

I can't stop my tradition now Dean. I guess this year it will be that top-shelf whiskey in the gallon bottle...

OklahomaTuba
8/11/2010, 09:53 AM
WTF hasn't the 'Pub controlled legislature lowered our taxes? I'll tell you. Because they realize we can't afford to do so, as much as it pains me to admit it.
It's a revenue AND spending problem.

Besides, what exactly can the legislature do with an executive who is beholden to the public sector unions and the tribes bleeding this state dry?

And you think it's bad now, just wait until that teacher's union ballot initiative gets passed.

We already spend more than 50% of our state budget on education, that will jack it up much higher at the expense of our roads, etc.

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 10:36 AM
It's a revenue AND spending problem.

Besides, what exactly can the legislature do with an executive who is beholden to the public sector unions and the tribes bleeding this state dry?

And you think it's bad now, just wait until that teacher's union ballot initiative gets passed.

We already spend more than 50% of our state budget on education, that will jack it up much higher at the expense of our roads, etc.

What "public sector unions" are you referring to? I can tell you that state employees have been pretty much ignored by Henry ever since OPEA endorsed Vince Orza in the primary 8 years ago. RIFs, furloughs, and wage freezes have been the norm since 2006.

And, as far as the education spending goes, it's not the teachers getting rich. One of the major problems is, and has been, that there are too many districts. Every time the issue gains some steam, the finger pointing starts between the rural and urban districts. Independent, locally-controlled schools have always been the sacred cow.

OklahomaTuba
8/11/2010, 10:48 AM
And, as far as the education spending goes, it's not the teachers getting rich.It's not so much teachers or other public union employees are "getting rich", it's that they already make more than the median HOUSEHOLD income of the state when you include salary, benefits and their pension.

So we raise taxes, cut school programs like music and art and gym, double class sizes, not clean our schools, keep the AC and lights turned off, not mow the school yards, etc..

But the problem, just like with every other public union (Tulsa Police especially) they make too much and we cannot afford it now.

Which is why Obama and the Mules are now cutting money from foodstamps to keep some teachers employed. (and voting democratic more importantly).

8/11/2010, 12:57 PM
Some, maybe most Republicans are good.

Virtually all Democrat politicians are bad.

Pay attention.fixed.

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 01:08 PM
It's not so much teachers or other public union employees are "getting rich", it's that they already make more than the median HOUSEHOLD income of the state when you include salary, benefits and their pension.

So we raise taxes, cut school programs like music and art and gym, double class sizes, not clean our schools, keep the AC and lights turned off, not mow the school yards, etc..

But the problem, just like with every other public union (Tulsa Police especially) they make too much and we cannot afford it now.

Which is why Obama and the Mules are now cutting money from foodstamps to keep some teachers employed. (and voting democratic more importantly).

Actually, state employees do not make more than their private industry counterparts (apples to apples). In fact, as of 2009, they made 15.74% less when comparing like jobs (see the OPM compensation report on their website). And, public school teachers make too much, really??? Have you seen a teacher's salary lately? As far as police and fire, they earn every penny they get. I'm guessing you have never responded code 3 at 4AM to a domestic disturbance where you will probably get to take on the perp and the victim at the same time.

There is a vast array of reasons why this state is in the financial problems it's in right now. But, the rank and file public servants' salaries are not the one of them. Try our propensity to lock everyone up, but not fund corrections at an appropriate level, or the redundancy and overlapping functions of many state agencies (Do we really still need a Boll Weevil Eradication Commission?), in addition to the before-mentioned multitude of independent school districts.

Like most states I assume, Oklahoma doesn't usually take a common sense approach. It's a shame that our elected officials tend to let politics and their upcoming re-election get in the way of making changes that will really count. And, that's why (getting myself back on subject) I believe Jari Askins is the best choice for governor. I believe that she has the guts to make changes, push buttons, and get something done.

badger
8/11/2010, 01:09 PM
Fallin allegedly voted for the measure (http://www.thelostogle.com/2010/08/11/mary-fallin-is-confusing/)she was originally going to skip, but then made the DC trip.

She did not. It passed 247-161 (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=338&articleid=20100811_13_A3_CUTLIN214630&archive=yes), with Dan Boren voting for, and our other four (including Fallin) voting against.

OklahomaTuba
8/11/2010, 01:12 PM
And, public school teachers make too much, really??? Have you seen a teacher's salary lately?Why yes, I have actually.

However, I am not talking only about salary, but also benefits and pensions.

Add those two things into the equation (not including the amount of time off a teacher gets) and it's above and beyond what the average HOUSEHOLD in this state brings home.

Way above.

OklahomaTuba
8/11/2010, 01:16 PM
There is a vast array of reasons why this state is in the financial problems it's in right now. But, the rank and file public servants' salaries are not the one of them.

Right, which is why our federal government has to bail out our school districts every chance they get to keep them from laying teachers off.

Our bankrupt and soon to be insolvent federal government.

Ike
8/11/2010, 01:43 PM
Why yes, I have actually.

However, I am not talking only about salary, but also benefits and pensions.

Add those two things into the equation (not including the amount of time off a teacher gets) and it's above and beyond what the average HOUSEHOLD in this state brings home.

Way above.

Is it however, above what the average person with similar qualifications (like a college degree) brings home? Because that does matter.

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 02:04 PM
Is it however, above what the average person with similar qualifications (like a college degree) brings home? Because that does matter.

No, it's not. That's the point. When you compare jobs with similar qualifications, including benefits and such, the average state employee makes less. In fact, as far as benefits go, the only benefit in which they make more is the health insurance subsidy.

I have worked for the state and a county, and in private industry. I made ALOT more in private industry, but was a victim of a merger/buyout. Now I found the federal government and it's all peaches and cream. :D

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 02:18 PM
Fallin allegedly voted for the measure (http://www.thelostogle.com/2010/08/11/mary-fallin-is-confusing/)she was originally going to skip, but then made the DC trip.

She did not. It passed 247-161 (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=338&articleid=20100811_13_A3_CUTLIN214630&archive=yes), with Dan Boren voting for, and our other four (including Fallin) voting against.

This is exactly why I am suspect of her motives and agenda. She seems to move with the wind, I'm just not sure who is doing the blowing... Pun not intended... ;)

badger
8/11/2010, 02:32 PM
This is exactly why I am suspect of her motives and agenda. She seems to move with the wind, I'm just not sure who is doing the blowing... Pun not intended... ;)

I really love thelostogle.com and get a kick out of its material, but in this case, there's no question.

They state the SENATE passed it unanimously, hence the assumption that Fallin when ahead and voted for it too... but Fallin's not in the Senate, she's in the House.

Ah well. It's a funny pic of her and Pelosi, no? :D

8/11/2010, 02:57 PM
Dear Friends,

Yesterday, House Speaker Pelosi called an emergency vote on a $26 billion plan to "bailout" state budgets. I cancelled several campaign events so I could return and cast a resounding "NO" vote.

I opposed this plan, like I opposed similar wasteful spending measures, for one simple reason: we cannot keep printing and borrowing money and calling it "stimulus." Whether it's the stimulus spending bill or Obamacare, the big-government, big-spending agenda pursued by Washington has not created jobs or helped middle-class, working Americans. What it has done instead is bury our children and grandchildren under a mountain of debt.

Now, the liberals in Washington and our opponents in Oklahoma are trying to say I don't support education or teachers because of my opposition to this bailout. That's just not true. What I don't support is a $26 billion plan to bailout states like California, which have spent themselves into deep trouble. And I certainly don't support the $9.8 billion in job-killing tax increases that were also added to this legislation. That's the old recipe for disaster that Washington Democrats are intent on pursuing even during a recession: tax and spend, and more tax and spend.

The bottom line is that we shouldn't be asked to bailout other states that have acted irresponsibly. What we should be doing is focusing on creating more and better jobs, supporting our small businesses and getting more businesses to locate in Oklahoma. When we do that we'll create more opportunities for working Oklahomans and we'll also generate the revenue stream we need to adequately fund state agencies. That's how, as governor, I'll work to support our teachers and our health care providers the right way, without wasteful government bailouts or Washington interference.

I'll also lead the way in making government more efficient and more effective, so we don't need taxpayer-funded bailouts to provide essential services. And, of course, I'll continue to stand up to Washington and make sure the agenda we pursue is one that creates jobs and prosperity, not one that designed to support the political elite.

The best way for Oklahoma to fight big-government spending policies like the one I voted against yesterday is to restore conservative leadership and fiscal responsibility to the governor's office. That's exactly what I plan to do, and why I hope I'll have your vote in November.

God bless,
Mary Fallin

badger
8/11/2010, 03:17 PM
The best way for Oklahoma to fight big-government spending policies like the one I voted against yesterday is to restore conservative leadership and fiscal responsibility to the governor's office. That's exactly what I plan to do, and why I hope I'll have your vote in November.

I hope that Republicans pull out that Contract with America that got them elected in the 90s and remember one of their unfulfilled ideas and bring it to the forefront:

TERM. LIMITS.

I don't care if they're classified as R, D or Indie. I want new leadership circulated in so that new ideas are brought to the forefront every so often and career politicians with obligations to lobbyists and donors are no longer as great of concerns to voters.

If Oklahoma didn't have term limits, some of the legislators we had in our state and house and senate would have stayed in office far longer than 12 years and our governors would likely serve more than 8. If the president was allowed more than two terms, we would have had much longer terms for some.

TERM. LIMITS. We have them in Oklahoma, we need them at the federal level.

GKeeper316
8/11/2010, 03:19 PM
Please expand... She some big family from Haliburton or something???

her family owns a bunch of land around duncan that has millions and millions of cubic feet of natural gas on it.

GKeeper316
8/11/2010, 03:21 PM
I hope that Republicans pull out that Contract with America that got them elected in the 90s and remember one of their unfulfilled ideas and bring it to the forefront:

TERM. LIMITS.

I don't care if they're classified as R, D or Indie. I want new leadership circulated in so that new ideas are brought to the forefront every so often and career politicians with obligations to lobbyists and donors are no longer as great of concerns to voters.

If Oklahoma didn't have term limits, some of the legislators we had in our state and house and senate would have stayed in office far longer than 12 years and our governors would likely serve more than 8. If the president was allowed more than two terms, we would have had much longer terms for some.

TERM. LIMITS. We have them in Oklahoma, we need them at the federal level.

no we dont. term limits have been in place since the founding of our nation. they're called elections. if the constituancy of a particular voting district think their rep is no longer representative of their political values, they can vote him out and someone else in.

NormanPride
8/11/2010, 03:38 PM
no we dont. term limits have been in place since the founding of our nation. they're called elections. if the constituancy of a particular voting district think their rep is no longer representative of their political values, they can vote him out and someone else in.

Incumbents have a gigantic advantage which reduces the chance of seeing new people in office. Mainly, media exposure is unbelievably biased towards the incumbent on average.

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 03:44 PM

In theory, I agree with you. The problem is that in reality, incumbents have a built-in advantage which is why they get elected at a 94%+ clip. Heck, in the last election, House incumbents were reelected 98% of the time.

Term limits are good and bad in my opinion. We get "new blood and ideas" in each election which is good, but we lose very good legislators to term limits too.

Leroy Lizard
8/11/2010, 04:12 PM
How about this solution?

No term limits, but incumbents cannot spend any money on their campaigns.

Reasoning: If you have really done a great job, why do you have to pump your message?

Not sure this is a great idea, but what do you think?

tommieharris91
8/11/2010, 04:23 PM
How about this solution?

No term limits, but incumbents cannot spend any money on their campaigns.

Reasoning: If you have really done a great job, why do you have to pump your message?

Not sure this is a great idea, but what do you think?

The SCOTUS will tell you that is about a constitutional as a flat gun ban.

Leroy Lizard
8/11/2010, 04:27 PM
The SCOTUS will tell you that is about a constitutional as a flat gun ban.

You are still free to say whatever you want. You can interview with whomever you wish. You can write op-ed columns. You just can't spend any money to do so.

But SCOTUS probably would nick it, I agree. Still...

oumartin
8/11/2010, 04:34 PM
I can tell you that I am not privy to Jari's sexual preference, but that she has dated men in the past. I will take her lack of a husband/family over Mary's lack of morals any day, especially for a woman who professes "Faith, Family, and Freedom". Her propensity for state troopers as a married woman was legendary and a certainly not contained to just the one she got caught with. That is my understanding anyway from several people "in the know".

Mary's got my vote!

8/11/2010, 04:42 PM
I have worked for the state and a county, and in private industry. I made ALOT more in private industry, but was a victim of a merger/buyout. Now I found the federal government and it's all peaches and cream. :DWhat will happen with the govt. jobs, after the Private Sector is bled dry?

delhalew
8/11/2010, 05:33 PM
Askins is just like the rest of OK Democrats...hand out trying to bring home the bacon instead of building up commerce and strengthening industry. If you want to know an OK Democrat who hasn't defected...see Homey. Dems in Ok are big on God, guns, and talking big, but they suck the gub'ment tit just like every other Dem in the land. It is the same as almost every teacher being a Dem. They know who ****s the rest of us over so that they can retire in their forties. Nobody jumps off the gravy train.
Now the real trick is finding a Republican who isn't as bad...I'm willing to take my chances.

8/11/2010, 06:11 PM
Askins is just like the rest of OK Democrats...hand out trying to bring home the bacon instead of building up commerce and strengthening industry. If you want to know an OK Democrat who hasn't defected...see Homey. Dems in Ok are big on God, guns, and talking big, but they suck the gub'ment tit just like every other Dem in the land. It is the same as almost every teacher being a Dem. They know who ****s the rest of us over so that they can retire in their forties. Nobody jumps off the gravy train.
Now the real trick is finding a Republican who isn't as bad...I'm willing to take my chances.You HAVE to choose among the R's. The Dem party is TOTALLY untrustworthy.

badger
8/11/2010, 06:22 PM
Incumbents have a gigantic advantage which reduces the chance of seeing new people in office. Mainly, media exposure is unbelievably biased towards the incumbent on average.

You know what else has term limits? College football! ooo, yes, I just played the football card on your arses.

Without term limits in college football, we might still have Jason White as our quarterback, and never got to enjoy the Sam Bradford era. Yes, we'd have a Heisman quarterback regardless, but because of "term limits," aka four (to six, lol) years of eligibility, we got to have TWO Heisman winning quarterbacks instead of one!

Term limits, like in college football, give new people the chance to have their own moment in the spotlight and make a positive impact.

GKeeper316
8/11/2010, 06:29 PM

voter side ignorance and apathy is not the system's fault.

GKeeper316
8/11/2010, 06:35 PM
You know what else has term limits? College football! ooo, yes, I just played the football card on your arses.

Without term limits in college football, we might still have Jason White as our quarterback, and never got to enjoy the Sam Bradford era. Yes, we'd have a Heisman quarterback regardless, but because of "term limits," aka four (to six, lol) years of eligibility, we got to have TWO Heisman winning quarterbacks instead of one!

Term limits, like in college football, give new people the chance to have their own moment in the spotlight and make a positive impact.

you can't compare collegiate athletics to running the country. those aren't term limits that athletes adhere to. eligibility in college sports is based on the predication that said athletes will be attending class and graduating.

gigantic difference between a constitutionally mandated system of government, and an organization run largely by its member schools to try to ensure the field of play is as balanced as possible for everyone competeing.

Soonerwake
8/11/2010, 06:39 PM
What will happen with the govt. jobs, after the Private Sector is bled dry?

I'm good, cuz all of my Republican buddies are all for a big, bad military.. We will find a way to pay for bombs and guns, right??

8/11/2010, 06:58 PM
I'm good, cuz all of my Republican buddies are all for a big, bad military.. We will find a way to pay for bombs and guns, right??Yes, you are correct that the defense of the people is a valid and prescribed by law function of the nat. government. Are you gonna join the Army?

badger
8/12/2010, 10:57 AM
you can't compare collegiate athletics to running the country. those aren't term limits that athletes adhere to. eligibility in college sports is based on the predication that said athletes will be attending class and graduating.

gigantic difference between a constitutionally mandated system of government, and an organization run largely by its member schools to try to ensure the field of play is as balanced as possible for everyone competeing.

:P I think I just did compare the two, because we all know that most students don't graduate in four years anymore, yet eligibility still stays at four and there's no possibility of staying a college athlete if you continue your education to get a master's or phd. So yeah, you can pretty much call the four years of eligibility a term limit.

As for level field of playing, that's why I want them at a federal level and not just a state level. A lot of pork is determined by seniority, so eliminate seniority and perhaps appointments to appropriations will be based on merit and not on who wants to name as many things in West Virginia after them as possible.

Plus, going back to college, when players know it is their final year to play, they sure try to make the most out of it. If legislators knew they would only have up to, say, 12 years in either House or Senate, like Oklahoma state term limits are, would they drag their feet with legislation, call recess sessions repeatedly, or actually get things done and work with the other senators and reps?

So hey, it's football season and thought I'd throw it out there. Term limits! They warrant consideration!

Fraggle145
8/12/2010, 11:19 AM

And yet still some of the dumbest mother ****ers in the USA live in our state. Our education system in OK is poor at best.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/12/2010, 12:02 PM
we cannot keep printing and borrowing money and calling it "stimulus."

Republicans are good at taking this stance when they're in the minority.

Ike
8/12/2010, 12:03 PM
:P I think I just did compare the two, because we all know that most students don't graduate in four years anymore, yet eligibility still stays at four and there's no possibility of staying a college athlete if you continue your education to get a master's or phd. So yeah, you can pretty much call the four years of eligibility a term limit.

As for level field of playing, that's why I want them at a federal level and not just a state level. A lot of pork is determined by seniority, so eliminate seniority and perhaps appointments to appropriations will be based on merit and not on who wants to name as many things in West Virginia after them as possible.

Plus, going back to college, when players know it is their final year to play, they sure try to make the most out of it. If legislators knew they would only have up to, say, 12 years in either House or Senate, like Oklahoma state term limits are, would they drag their feet with legislation, call recess sessions repeatedly, or actually get things done and work with the other senators and reps?

So hey, it's football season and thought I'd throw it out there. Term limits! They warrant consideration!

So since we are comparing football to politics, I'll just throw this monkey wrench in things for fun. College football, while 'term limited' is generally a preparatory step for athletes who want to go to the NFL. And the final step for those not good enough. Those players that go to the NFL are so good, that we want to see them play beyond their term limited years. Heck, Brett Favre can retire and unretire ad infinitum because...well, I'm not sure. But he can, and we all know he can. Because he is that good. Or was that good. Once. And in the comparison to politics, it's really the NFLers you want running the country. You don't want to be saying "Sorry Adrian Peterson, I know you are the best running back in the country, but you can't be in the NFL anymore because you've been here X years already. Go home now".

So if you want to make the comparison between politics and football, maybe you need to divide it up like football is: City/county politics :: HS football. State politics :: College football. National politics :: NFL.

What would be better for the electorate, I think, is for there to be more than 2 teams at each level, and better stats and metrics. How many yards per carry does Fallin average? What's Askins TD/INT ratio?

Bourbon St Sooner
8/12/2010, 12:10 PM
My grandpa always said they should do four years in Congress and four years in jail. Sounds like good preparation.

NormanPride
8/12/2010, 12:20 PM
voter side ignorance and apathy is not the system's fault.

So we ignore a major factor in elections because "that's just how it is". Smart. I would wager that if incumbents didn't win all the time that voters would be more informed on the new faces that they would need to elect into office.

And Ike, you then have to consider value over time. Say you have the best RG in the league, and he's been a true road grader for six years. Sadly, his contract is so huge now that it's starting to impair your ability to bring in new guys that are at more important positions like RB or WR. Teams will release that guy or trade him to free up space for new people.

The same thing needs to happen in congress. No Senator or Congressperson is so great that they need to stick around forever. I mean, really, when's the last time you've looked an ANYONE on Capitol Hill and said "Sheeeit, we really couldn't function without that one. Thank goodness for all his/her great ideas and leadership!".

Ike
8/12/2010, 12:27 PM
So we ignore a major factor in elections because "that's just how it is". Smart. I would wager that if incumbents didn't win all the time that voters would be more informed on the new faces that they would need to elect into office.

And Ike, you then have to consider value over time. Say you have the best RG in the league, and he's been a true road grader for six years. Sadly, his contract is so huge now that it's starting to impair your ability to bring in new guys that are at more important positions like RB or WR. Teams will release that guy or trade him to free up space for new people.

The same thing needs to happen in congress. No Senator or Congressperson is so great that they need to stick around forever. I mean, really, when's the last time you've looked an ANYONE on Capitol Hill and said "Sheeeit, we really couldn't function without that one. Thank goodness for all his/her great ideas and leadership!".

True true...Maybe in addition to adding more teams to the league (more parties), we should have the teams/parties themselves paying their players/lawmakers instead of wasting tax dollars on that. That way individual elected officials can negotiate their own salaries with the party. And parties can trade or release ones that aren't getting the job done, or who want too much money. Or they can go all free-agency.

Market based politics. Could make it fun to watch.

badger
8/12/2010, 12:34 PM
"Sorry Adrian Peterson, I know you are the best running back in the country, but you can't be in the NFL anymore because you've been here X years already. Go home now".

lol - my packers would probably like that. :D

but seriously, the average NFL career is 3.5 years and while there are many that don't make it past preseason and few that go 20 seasons... like Bert Fav-ruh, most are about at that average due to injuries, playing ability, roster limits, etc.

But... what about the average tenure of a Congressman or Senator?

The average length of service in the House at the beginning of the Congress was
about 10 years (5.1 terms); in the Senate, 12.8 years (slightly over two terms).

Link (http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RS22555.pdf)

Plus, the NFL, unlike college football, can be viewed as a professional job that by virtue, hires the best and fires the worst. Professional politician jokes aside here, but it should not be an elected official's goal to simply get re-elected to infinity and beyond.

Soonerwake
8/12/2010, 01:15 PM
And yet still some of the dumbest mother ****ers in the USA live in our state. Our education system in OK is poor at best.

Interesting timing for this statement...

http://newsok.com/article/3484361#disqus_thread

We might actually see some improvement with Sandy Garrett FINALLY leaving...

Half a Hundred
8/12/2010, 01:25 PM
Problem with term limits is that it further entrenches the power of lobbyists/special interests in Washington, because they're the only ones with a continuous presence in the halls of power while the pols rotate in and out.

OklahomaTuba
8/12/2010, 01:31 PM
Republicans are good at taking this stance when they're in the minority.Amen.

Although, I'd take a $200 billion debt compared to $1.6 trillion debt any day.

NormanPride
8/12/2010, 03:56 PM
Problem with term limits is that it further entrenches the power of lobbyists/special interests in Washington, because they're the only ones with a continuous presence in the halls of power while the pols rotate in and out.

It limits the damage they can do, as they can't latch onto people that are there forever and milk them for decades.