PDA

View Full Version : Boise State and Oklahoma question....

SteelClip49
8/9/2010, 09:15 AM
and it's not about the Fiesta Bowl.

NCAA recognizes Oklahoma with the nation's longest home winning streak at 29 games. NCAA also lists Boise State with 26. But Boise claims a 56 home game winning streak as they don't consider the 2005 Humanitarian Bowl to BC as a home loss.

I bring this up also for the fact that UCLA's loss to Wisconsin in the 1999 Rose Bowl Game was not considered a home loss for UCLA.

Someone give me some reasonings here.

Mississippi Sooner
8/9/2010, 09:21 AM
I guess if you add the disclaimer that it is a "regular season record," that justifies it.

However, those are still home losses for both teams. Those are both home games for both teams, though admittedly maybe a little less so for the Bruins because of the way the tickets are distributed. In Boise's case, because a lot more people are unwilling to travel all that way just for something called the Humanitarian Bowl, I'm sure that's a pretty solid Boise State crowd on hand.

badger
8/9/2010, 09:21 AM
Moot point, because it'll be over when they have to play TCU and BYU on an annual basis

sooner518
8/9/2010, 09:27 AM
if its in your home stadium, its a home game. buncha d00ches

jkjsooner
8/9/2010, 09:28 AM

NCAA recognizes Oklahoma with the nation's longest home winning streak at 29 games. NCAA also lists Boise State with 26. But Boise claims a 56 home game winning streak as they don't consider the 2005 Humanitarian Bowl to BC as a home loss.

I bring this up also for the fact that UCLA's loss to Wisconsin in the 1999 Rose Bowl Game was not considered a home loss for UCLA.

It's pretty easy. They're not home games. Season tickets don't get you into those games (unless you automatically get Bowl game tickets with your season tickets). Tickets are distributed evenly among the teams (but of course Boise/UCLA will be more likely to buy the other tickets). I don't know for sure but it's very possible that Boise and UCLA were considered the road team in those games. They very likely may have had to use the visitor's locker rooms. (I know if I were the coach and we had to play Miami in the Orange Bowl and we were the "home" team I'd sure as heck make sure they use the visitor's locker room.)

Obviously there are some home field advantages but it technically is not a home game and shouldn't be considered one.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/9/2010, 09:30 AM
But if they were at 56 right now, they could break Miami's record of 58 or 59, whatever it is. Anyways, if you try to compare Miami's streak to their streak (or even ours) it doesn't even compare. Boise has a decent team come in there every 2 or 3 years.

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 09:39 AM
i wouldn't consider a bowl game to be a home game.

more for BSU than UCLA tho.

that game was kinda invented for BSU.

rose bowl was there a long time before UCLA started playing there.

JMHO

OULenexaman
8/9/2010, 09:42 AM
who really gives a **** about BSU anyway??

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 09:43 AM
not me.

The Ghost of Mex
8/9/2010, 09:43 AM
THis^

bmjlr
8/9/2010, 09:57 AM

Who? :D

OULenexaman
8/9/2010, 10:32 AM
I think Boise should become a banned word on this board......like **** or **** or ****ers

CrimsonJim
8/9/2010, 10:32 AM
What?

badger
8/9/2010, 10:42 AM
I'm called badger for a reason - used to live in wisconsin and have lots of friends and family who are UW alumni and I remember that game well.

Many Wisconsin fans were cheated out of tickets by travel agencies promising tickets for that game, the first time Wisconsin had been to the Rose Bowl in about 30 years, if I recall correctly. It was a [joe biden]big f***ing deal[/biden]. It wasn't Ohio State or Michigan getting beaten up by USC every year like the past decade of Big Ten Rose Bowl teams, it was the best Badger season in a very, very long time.

I was young then, but I am pretty sure that UCLA pwn3d Rose Bowl tickets, much like LSU pwn3d tickets to the 2004 Sugar Bowl.

I am referring to the 94 Rose Bowl, not the 99 Rose Bowl, btw. Wisconsin beat them both times, but the ticket fiasco was the '94 game. Wisconsin also went Rose Bowlin' in 2000, where they beat Stanford. They haven't been back since then - it's tough getting into the BCS when Ohio State gets an auto bid every year - but I'm sure Badger fans will be more smart about tickets if they ever get another invite to Pasadena.

The UW ticket snafu, and how the Pac 10 gets more tickets than the Big Ten allotted, can be found in this article here. (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2009/12/uo_fans_still_can_get_rose_bow.html)

rawlingsHOH
8/9/2010, 10:43 AM

Miami's Orange Bowl wins were counted him their winning streak. The NCAA counts bowl games played at home as home games.

rawlingsHOH
8/9/2010, 10:45 AM
It's pretty easy. They're not home games. Season tickets don't get you into those games (unless you automatically get Bowl game tickets with your season tickets). Tickets are distributed evenly among the teams (but of course Boise/UCLA will be more likely to buy the other tickets). I don't know for sure but it's very possible that Boise and UCLA were considered the road team in those games. They very likely may have had to use the visitor's locker rooms. (I know if I were the coach and we had to play Miami in the Orange Bowl and we were the "home" team I'd sure as heck make sure they use the visitor's locker room.)

Obviously there are some home field advantages but it technically is not a home game and shouldn't be considered one.
Technically it is a home game, because the NCAA says so.

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 11:03 AM
Badge;

my nephew is an english prof @ UWSP.

my sister & bro-in-law live in plover;adjacent to sp. after spending 51 yrs in mojave desert.

badger
8/9/2010, 11:21 AM
Badge;

my nephew is an english prof @ UWSP.

my sister & bro-in-law live in plover;adjacent to sp. after spending 51 yrs in mojave desert.

Plover used to have an awesome water park when I lived up there. I heard they took it down and put in a mall instead. Sounds like what they need to do here in Tulsa... followed by building the Plover water park down here so that we can have a good water park :D

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 11:28 AM
there's a lotta water around there, with the river & all.

we went up there last summer.

my sister lives by a really big pond, or a small lake.

badger
8/9/2010, 12:07 PM
Technically it is a home game, because the NCAA says so.

So, Boise claims a big arse home winning streak. So, some schools, like Bammer and USC, think they have about a dozen national championships. So what.

Leroy Lizard
8/9/2010, 12:07 PM

(already answered)

goingoneight
8/9/2010, 12:17 PM
Must be nice to play a bowl game in your home state. Can't imagine we'd be crying about Bob's BCS record if we played as close to OUr home crowd as say, Florida, LSU, USC, etc.
I know if you're the better team you should win, but let's not get so caught up in the no excuses mess that we don't realize the home crowd plays a big part in the big picture.

Again, though... it doesn't explain TGOWWDNS and the Wet Virgina fiasco. And it makes victories like the 2001 Orange Bowl even sweeter.

Leroy Lizard
8/9/2010, 12:28 PM
Must be nice to play a bowl game in your home state. Can't imagine we'd be crying about Bob's BCS record if we played as close to OUr home crowd as say, Florida, LSU, USC, etc.
I know if you're the better team you should win, but let's not get so caught up in the no excuses mess that we don't realize the home crowd plays a big part in the big picture.

Again, though... it doesn't explain TGOWWDNS and the Wet Virgina fiasco. And it makes victories like the 2001 Orange Bowl even sweeter.

And it isn't like Texas has played many bowls out of state.

prrriiide
8/9/2010, 03:10 PM
I don't care anymore about whose home game streak is linger any more than I care whose johnson is longer. Fact is, it's damned tough to win @ OU. It's damned tough to win on the smurf turf. Considering the level of competition BSU has played at home over the years, it's no wonder they've beaten everyone that comes to their house.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:40 PM
They also may not have been designated the home team during that bowl game...

I could see not designating that a home loss...

CrimsonJim
8/9/2010, 03:42 PM

Heck, sexaT hasn't played many GAMES out of state (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2670174&postcount=32)... :rolleyes:

oudavid1
8/9/2010, 03:42 PM
What?

what :D

stoopified
8/9/2010, 04:09 PM
who really gives a **** about BSU anyway??:D

Scott D
8/9/2010, 04:19 PM
I don't consider any games played on a bad psychedelic colored astroturf carpet to be legitimate games to be claimed on any record.

Statalyzer
8/9/2010, 06:05 PM
If it's in your home stadium, it's a home game. The NCAA gets this rule right, amazingly.

Although as somebody pointed out, not claming it as a home loss is a lot more legit than some of the titles Alabama and Southern Cal and a few others claim.

Except that they've only played 2 out of their 10 bowl games this past decade in the state of Texas, you're absolutely right.

OULenexaman
8/9/2010, 10:02 PM
I don't consider any games played on a bad psychedelic colored astroturf carpet to be legitimate games to be claimed on any record.

With matching uni's....to blend in to that gay field....:D :D