PDA

View Full Version : Sooners in the NFL News

Pages : [1] 2

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:23 PM
Please don't jack this up people..I'll keep it updated as I go if not too busy.

Lendy Holmes- LH is having a decent camp but just isnt likely to make the team as the 'skins are deep at the safety...You get the feeling that the coaches there really like him, but he isn't good enough to beat the top 4 guys they already have...probably another year of practice squad somewhere and then he's looking for a career in the real world.

CJ Ah You- CJ finally made the Rams roster last season and played when the Rams went to the nickel to be a pass rusher...hurt his knee and had surgery and is back in camp..sat out today due to hamstring...CJ is no longer eligible to be on a practice squad, so he either makes the roster or he is done..Probably a half and half shot of making it.

Larry Birdine- not good enough to make a roster and has used up all his practice squad eligibility...moved on to the CFL and Edmonton I think..I'll have to look that one up.

Eric Bassey- heart breaker here..earned his way on to the Rams roster in 2008, tore his ACL in the pre-season last year, and now is done..

Jimmy Wilkerson-Has fought hard back from ACL surgery and has practiced with the saints some..Has put himself together a nice NFL career..should make that squad easily

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:24 PM
Mark Clayton- I think this is a huge offseason for him..The Ravens acquiring Anquan Boldin and Donte Stallworth plus Derrick Mason unretiring has pushed him down the depth chart to the 4th spot as of right now...He may be a pre season cut as he recooperates from shoulder surgery

Tommie Harris- Probably the best news at Bears camp is that Harris is healthy and has managed to keep himself in pretty good shape..A Dline that has Julius Peppers and Tommie Harris?...Could be a peak season for Harris

Dusty Dvoracek-retired

Jermaine Gresham-worked out with Bradford some at OU during his holdout but reported to practice yesterday...I'm glad he got his 9 mil guaranteed, because I really worry about his long term health..

Trent Williams-most of the views of trent in practice have been pretty positive..he battled last years 1st round pick Brian Orakpo in 1 on1's and held his own..he didnt win his matchup by any means but not bad...I will be surprised if he isnt a starter from day 1

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:24 PM
Dominique Franks-Has improved a lot from rookie camp back a couple of months ago...The thing that he has going for him is his return ability and he is set to compete for KR and PR duties...Not likely to see much field as a corner but his chances of playing on ST make him a roster keeper.

Brody Eldridge- Brody sat out his first practice yesterday, but things look good for him to make the roster..The Colts have already cut one of his competitors, Tom Santi

Keenan Clayton- Clayton has been taking a good amount of ribbing because of his small size for a LB(6'1, 229) but he has done well..picked off a nice pass Sunday..he has taken reps at SLB and WLB...So far, has done great in pass coverage, and ran over a 300 lb lineman on a blitz...The Eagles won't put him on the practice squad because they fear losing him to another team, so barring injury, he will make the team.

JLEW1818
8/8/2010, 06:25 PM
what about Iggy and Manny ?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:25 PM
Nic Harris- Waived a few days ago because of injury...I hate it for him..If he could have stayed healthy, he could have been on the field a lot...He has already appeared in too many games to play on a practice squad so its roster or nothing for him somewhere

Brandon Jones- Who knows now with him..He signed that nice contract with the 49ers a while back and has been injuring himself out of the league if he isnt careful...has had an ok camp but the 49ers could save some money by cutting him...He really needs to have a nice camp

Duke Robinson-wasn't allowed to practice because he failed the conditioning test(gasp!)...he finally passed it and practiced this week..competing for a RG spot, it depends on which Duke Robinson is going to show up if he gets the starting job or back to the bench

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:26 PM
what about Iggy and Manny ?

Manny Johnson- Good news for him..Dez got hurt..He has gotten a lot of reps and so far has scored TDs going up against both starting corners, jenkins and newman..caught a nice one hander facing newman...The year on the practice squad really helped him learn the NFL WR game and he improved a lot...worked hard as he could

Bad News...Roy Williams, Miles Austin, Kevin Ogletree, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, and Dez Bryant...gonna be tough to get a roster spot this season..If they put him back on the practice squad though, at least 2 of those guys are gonna be gone next year and he stand a lot better chance..here's hoping for this season though

Juaquin Iglesias-injured so far, I'm not sure about him making the Bears roster...There really isnt anything special he brings to the table..He isn't fast enough and he isn't physical enough going up against NFL corners...The guy was a legend in the college postseason workouts last year and in rookie camp, but he struggles against the bigger, physical, experienced nfl dbs.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:27 PM
Allen Patrick-Not positive yet but pretty sure he is done..has used up all practice squad eligibility

Joe Jon Finley- Pretty sure the same

Jon Cooper- He is a great story IMO...undrafted, he made the roster last year and has been working with the 1's this week as the starting center has been out with injury...Looks good for him making the roster again this season...I don't know that he can ever be a full time starter due to size, but he is a quality backup

Phil Loadholt- Had a good year at RT for Vikings, which is a much better position for him than LT...wasn't a dominate player by any means, but he was a major step up from Cook..Perhaps the vikings may try to run to the right sometime this season.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:28 PM
Clint Ingram- injured now but should be ready to go quickly if not already for the Saints...he is reuniting with his old coordinator there and will get a good chance to start for them

Chis Chester- He has bulked up to 320 after losing his starting job halfway through the season last year...Good thing for Chester is he so versatile that he is a keeper..Last season, he played some at RG,LG,C, and TE.....He would like to be the starting RG but has kept a good attitude and appears to be in great shape...

Malcolm Kelly- Nursing a hamstring injury and standing on the sidelines..in the meantime, he is sliding further down the depth chart and is likely to be a late cut...How far down is he?...The Redskins have one of the crappier WR corp in the league with Santana Moss the 1, Joey Galloway, 38 year old Joey btw who has caught 20 passes the last 2 years, and some guy who didnt even play football last year, oft injured Devin Thomas all ahead of MK....

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:28 PM
Gerald McCoy-McCoy has fared very well in practices so far and the tandem of him and Price, another rookie, could mean a dominant DL for the Bucs in the future..Some goaline situations were practiced late last week, and McCoy and Price did a great job of keeping Ernest Graham out of the endzone...

ndpruitt03
8/8/2010, 06:41 PM
I can remember not so long ago(about 8 years ago) when talking about Sooners in the NFL this time of the year would take maybe 1 posts. Now there's about 25 guys posted.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:42 PM
Yeah its a lot more work for me now to try and keep up with..

Scott D
8/8/2010, 06:43 PM
Devin Thomas was ahead of him on the depth chart last year as well, wasn't he?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:44 PM
Devin Thomas was ahead of him on the depth chart last year as well, wasn't he?

Kelly ended up working his way into the 2 last year opposite of Moss..Mostly do to DT's health problems

Scott D
8/8/2010, 06:45 PM
But Thomas was ahead of him so there.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/8/2010, 06:47 PM
OK :)

Kelly's agent told Shanahan that Kelly "is the next Andre Johnson"...No joke

Scott D
8/8/2010, 06:48 PM
Kelly's agent probably thinks that Roy "Tinkerbell" Williams will have a pro bowl season in Dallas this year.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/9/2010, 09:09 AM
From Saints camp..

Jimmy Wilkerson appears to be ahead of schedule on his knee injury. He had a sack and a scoop and score in Saturday's scrimmage.

Mark Bradley is also in camp with the Saints. I'm not sure what his chances are of making the team. Thats a pretty deep position for the Saints.

badger
8/9/2010, 09:17 AM
OK :)

Kelly's agent told Shanahan that Kelly "is the next Andre Johnson"...No joke

lol... at the redskins, not the agent. of course the agent's gonna say stuff like that. :D

Is rufus out of the league too? He was with the Lions in preseason last year

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 09:25 AM
Yeah...He only made it a week with the Lions last year

Sooner04
8/9/2010, 09:32 AM
I can remember not so long ago(about 8 years ago) when talking about Sooners in the NFL this time of the year would take maybe 1 posts. Now there's about 25 guys posted.
Yeah, and about 20 of them are hurt.

badger
8/9/2010, 11:40 AM
STEP: I issue you a challenge! The following is the big arse list of NFL players with Oklahoma ties on espn.com if you execute a search for "search by college" and then enter "oklahoma" as the college.

Can you provide an update on every single player listed? Disregard the ones you've already mentioned, of course, unless there's more fun stuff on them :)

Ah You, C.J. St. Louis Rams Defensive End
Ayodele, Remi New Orleans Saints Defensive Tackle
Balogun, Mike San Francisco 49ers Linebacker
Bradford, Sam St. Louis Rams Quarterback
Bradley, Mark New Orleans Saints Wide Receiver
Brown, Jammal Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle
Chester, Chris Baltimore Ravens Center
Clapp, Matt Detroit Lions Fullback
Clayton, Keenan Philadelphia Eagles Linebacker
Clayton, Mark Baltimore Ravens Wide Receiver
Cooper, Jon Minnesota Vikings Center
Eldridge, Brody Indianapolis Colts Tight End
Finley, J.J. San Francisco 49ers Tight End
Franks, Dominique Atlanta Falcons Cornerback
Gregg, Kelly Baltimore Ravens Defensive Tackle
Gresham, Jermaine Cincinnati Bengals Tight End
Harris, Tommie Chicago Bears Defensive Tackle
Harris, Nic Buffalo Bills Linebacker
Hartley, Garrett New Orleans Saints Place kicker
Holmes, Lendy Washington Redskins Safety
Iglesias, Juaquin Chicago Bears Wide Receiver
Ingram, Clint New Orleans Saints Linebacker
Jackson, Brian New York Jets Cornerback
Johnson, Manuel Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver
Jones, Brandon San Francisco 49ers Wide Receiver
Joseph, Davin Tampa Bay Buccaneers Guard
Kelly, Malcolm Washington Redskins Wide Receiver
Lehman, Teddy Jacksonville Jaguars Linebacker
Loadholt, Phil Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Lofton, Curtis Atlanta Falcons Linebacker
McCoy, Gerald Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Tackle
Nicholson, Donte Tampa Bay Buccaneers Safety
Patrick, Allen Jacksonville Jaguars Running Back
Peterson, Adrian Minnesota Vikings Running Back
Pool, Brodney New York Jets Safety
Robinson, Duke Carolina Panthers Guard
Smith, Reggie San Francisco 49ers Safety
Walker, Marcus Carolina Panthers Cornerback
Wilkerson, Jimmy New Orleans Saints Defensive End
Williams, Roy L. Cincinnati Bengals Safety
Williams, Trent Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle

Breadburner
8/9/2010, 11:47 AM
Good to see Balogun Landed somewhere....Any news on Chris Brown....

badger
8/9/2010, 11:50 AM
Good to see Balogun Landed somewhere....Any news on Chris Brown....

STEP might have an update to this, but last we all heard was he got waived in May by Denver. link (http://broncotalk.net/2010/05/15281/denver-broncos/broncos-waive-brown-sign-lyons/)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 02:58 PM
Chris Brown is done with football

Marcus Walker was cut by the Jets last week

Nicholson has been done for a while

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:01 PM
STEP: I issue you a challenge! The following is the big arse list of NFL players with Oklahoma ties on espn.com if you execute a search for "search by college" and then enter "oklahoma" as the college.

Can you provide an update on every single player listed? Disregard the ones you've already mentioned, of course, unless there's more fun stuff on them :)

Ah You, C.J. St. Louis Rams Defensive End
Ayodele, Remi New Orleans Saints Defensive Tackle
Balogun, Mike San Francisco 49ers Linebacker
Bradford, Sam St. Louis Rams Quarterback
Bradley, Mark New Orleans Saints Wide Receiver
Brown, Jammal Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle
Chester, Chris Baltimore Ravens Center
Clapp, Matt Detroit Lions Fullback
Clayton, Keenan Philadelphia Eagles Linebacker
Clayton, Mark Baltimore Ravens Wide Receiver
Cooper, Jon Minnesota Vikings Center
Eldridge, Brody Indianapolis Colts Tight End
Finley, J.J. San Francisco 49ers Tight End
Franks, Dominique Atlanta Falcons Cornerback
Gregg, Kelly Baltimore Ravens Defensive Tackle
Gresham, Jermaine Cincinnati Bengals Tight End
Harris, Tommie Chicago Bears Defensive Tackle
Harris, Nic Buffalo Bills Linebacker
Hartley, Garrett New Orleans Saints Place kicker
Holmes, Lendy Washington Redskins Safety
Iglesias, Juaquin Chicago Bears Wide Receiver
Ingram, Clint New Orleans Saints Linebacker
Jackson, Brian New York Jets Cornerback
Johnson, Manuel Dallas Cowboys Wide Receiver
Jones, Brandon San Francisco 49ers Wide Receiver
Joseph, Davin Tampa Bay Buccaneers Guard
Kelly, Malcolm Washington Redskins Wide Receiver
Lehman, Teddy Jacksonville Jaguars Linebacker
Loadholt, Phil Minnesota Vikings Offensive Tackle
Lofton, Curtis Atlanta Falcons Linebacker
McCoy, Gerald Tampa Bay Buccaneers Defensive Tackle
Nicholson, Donte Tampa Bay Buccaneers Safety
Patrick, Allen Jacksonville Jaguars Running Back
Peterson, Adrian Minnesota Vikings Running Back
Pool, Brodney New York Jets Safety
Robinson, Duke Carolina Panthers Guard
Smith, Reggie San Francisco 49ers Safety
Walker, Marcus Carolina Panthers Cornerback
Wilkerson, Jimmy New Orleans Saints Defensive End
Williams, Roy L. Cincinnati Bengals Safety
Williams, Trent Washington Redskins Offensive Tackle

Players in bold already discussed..a good portion of those who I haven't are guys that you know pretty much already whats going to happen with them or nothing new from previous seasons...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:02 PM
Teddy Lehman- Is trying to get that last Jacksonville roster spot at LB...they don't have a lot of depth there and Jacksonville scouts did some work digging him up...But he is just an injury waiting to happen..

Sooner04
8/9/2010, 03:05 PM
STEP, you know more about NFL personnel situations than the rest of the board combined. BY MILES!

My question to you is this: is it purely coincidence that so many of our guys get hurt in the pros? Damn near everybody you mention is "an injury waiting to happen" or "really bitten by the injury bug". It's nuts!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:07 PM
Mike Balogun-Has had a good training camp but I would say small chance of making the roster...has shown some ability though and has a pretty good shot at the practice squad..competing for the last roster spot at LB but not sure how good of shot he has

ndpruitt03
8/9/2010, 03:10 PM
STEP, you know more about NFL personnel situations than the rest of the board combined. BY MILES!

My question to you is this: is it purely coincidence that so many of our guys get hurt in the pros? Damn near everybody you mention is "an injury waiting to happen" or "really bitten by the injury bug". It's nuts!

I think it's just in the NFL in general. There's a lot of injuries in that league. I follow Dallas closely and they have a ton of injuries already with Martellus Bennett not playing, Now they just had another TE Phillips out for the season. Spears, Dez Bryant are hurt. It's just the physical nature of the NFL. It also happens at a level in college we saw it on steroids at OU last year but there's always several players a year that are hurt and miss games.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:14 PM

Honestly, I would have to say no, it is not coincidence...Its been a while since I've had the conversation with the Titans scout that I discussed this with so I hate to try and remember, but he said that he felt like it had to do wtih some of the training techniques used at Oklahoma...The gist of his opinion was that certain bodies are only capable of so much, and trying to squeeze that extra .10th off the 40, that extra 25 lbs on the bench, some agility stuff its just pushing their frames too hard...The knee injuries that happen are related to the quadracep muscle and something to do with the quad training...Anyway, I wish I could recall that better now

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:16 PM
Of course this was around the time Calmus and Woolfolk were at Tennessee that I had this conversation, so his opinion could be off

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:18 PM
Jammal Brown- battling some hip soreness..common after the injury and surgery he had...if healthy, he will start at RT, Williams at LT

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:21 PM
Matt Clapp- The Lions like to keep quite a few RB's on the roster, so that means typically they only keep one fullback...The number 1 rule of being any type of backup in the NFL is being versatile...Clapp is not...He is a fullback and nothing else.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:27 PM
Brian Jackson- Jets really like his physical play..not a turn and run guy and has had some matchup problems working against Santonio Holmes but has made some plays working in red zone....I really like his chances of making this roster and playing some ST

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 03:31 PM
Reggie Smith- Took some reps at punt returner this morning due to a release on the team..right now going to be the backup safety which they moved him back to last year...probably more of the same for him..Special teams

OK2U
8/9/2010, 03:56 PM
GK McCoy interview on NFL channel:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d819a0065/The-real-McCoy

Sooner04
8/9/2010, 04:04 PM
Why don't we call him Gerald, again?

And I'm not trying to muck up your thread, STEP. I look forward to these every year, more than just about anything else.

badger
8/9/2010, 04:09 PM
Unless you live in a Neffel market, the next matchup that most of us will see is Thursday - Carolina/Baltimore. I think it's on ESPN, but not sure.

What can we expect out of the Sooners on those rosters come Thursday? I know you've previewed a few of these guys already, but I mean, will we see meaningful snaps for any of them, or will we have just the beginning of the game/last few drives like we say with TRRW and Manny?

PS: Gerald makes him sound old. GK sounds cool :)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 04:13 PM
Duke may go with the 2's for the Panthers...If he gets his butt in gear, he'll be a 1...

Good News for Mark Clayton! Derrick Mason got hurt and he has taken full advantage of it...Hopefully he continues to impress..I look for him to run with the

Kelly Gregg is still a starter, but will share some snaps with Terrence Cody this year...

ndpruitt03
8/9/2010, 04:18 PM
Duke may go with the 2's for the Panthers...If he gets his butt in gear, he'll be a 1...

Good News for Mark Clayton! Derrick Mason got hurt and he has taken full advantage of it...Hopefully he continues to impress..I look for him to run with the

Kelly Gregg is still a starter, but will share some snaps with Terrence Cody this year...

I thought Cody came in fat and out of shape? But DT is a physically demanding position and Gregg has been in the league for about 12 or 13 years now(damn we're old))

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 04:20 PM
I thought Cody came in fat and out of shape? But DT is a physically demanding position and Gregg has been in the league for about 12 or 13 years now(damn we're old))

They drafted him fat and out of shape...Its probably not gonna be a 50/50 split but he will take some snaps away from him..

Cody was one of those guys that they knew what they were getting...If he can come in and play a handful of snaps, then I think the Ravens will be OK with that

Breadburner
8/9/2010, 04:31 PM
I really hope Balogun gets some playing time...I had high hopes for that guy at OU......I wish CB good luck in whatever he persues....

badger
8/9/2010, 04:33 PM
They drafted him fat and out of shape...Its probably not gonna be a 50/50 split but he will take some snaps away from him..

Cody was one of those guys that they knew what they were getting...If he can come in and play a handful of snaps, then I think the Ravens will be OK with that

The Packers drafted their own fat and outta shape guy (I am referring to none other than 77-0 Aggie celebrated Johnny Jolly, currently serving a one-season suspension for purple drank) and he worked out very well for them... up till the codeine thing. He was always a surprise, being right where he needed to be for fumble recoveries or interceptions.

Fat, outta shape guys are just lucky on the field sometimes, I guess.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/9/2010, 04:36 PM
Mo Dampeer?

ndpruitt03
8/9/2010, 04:39 PM
Who was it that Green Bay had in the 90s that was fat and out of shape? Gilbert Brown? I think he was always like 400 lbs but he had a nice career.

Eielson
8/9/2010, 06:56 PM
Why don't we call him Gerald, again?

I believe K is his middle initial. Not 100% sure, though.

IronHorseSooner
8/9/2010, 08:28 PM
Who was it that Green Bay had in the 90s that was fat and out of shape? Gilbert Brown? I think he was always like 400 lbs but he had a nice career.

Yep, that was him. I believe that the best DL that they had was Santana Dotson. Brown was a big blob in the middle.

prrriiide
8/9/2010, 08:42 PM
I would REALLY like to see Balogun buck the odds again and make a roster somewhere. I don't think I 've ever seen someone work so hard and be as deserving of a break get so snake-bit.

OULenexaman
8/9/2010, 10:30 PM
I wonder if STEP plays fantasy football??....you could be my GM. But I do good on my own. I jumped on Jerry Rice right out of the shoot....along with Stephen Baker the touchdown maker.....2 wide outs taken in the last pick of the 1st rd by SB winning teams....Baker didn't last that long though...sorry to jack your thread....carry on....

badger
8/9/2010, 11:02 PM
Yep, that was him. I believe that the best DL that they had was Santana Dotson. Brown was a big blob in the middle.

our best d-line dude was Reggie White, of course, but Santana Dotson and Gilbert Brown made the front 3 extremely intimidating for opponents. Got us a Super Bowl :D

But, seeing how they aren't Sooners, moving back to OU talk :D

badger
8/10/2010, 12:06 PM
Bump in hopes of more STEP updates. :D

Are there any Sooner alums currently among NFL coaching ranks?

goingoneight
8/10/2010, 12:15 PM
CB was a nice player at times for OU, but he got way more looks in Norman than he would have outside Norman. He's neither a bruiser nor a speed back and doesn't bring the big play... just kind of a short-yardage guy. I don't think he much cared to pursue football beyond OU too much anyways from what I've heard. Class guy for four years who did his job the right way... that's all you can ask for as an OU fan.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2010, 12:59 PM
Exactly...good college back...did nothing great, but was good at a few things..I think he realized early that it wasn't gonna work out..

Eielson
8/10/2010, 01:03 PM
If he had gone pro after his junior year, do you think he would've been a first day pick?

rawlingsHOH
8/10/2010, 01:10 PM
No way. Poor man's Tashard Choice. Good college player.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2010, 01:18 PM
If he had gone pro after his junior year, do you think he would've been a first day pick?

No...he still would have had to workout and those would have revealed a lot

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2010, 01:23 PM
Not an OU guy, but Jevan Snead didnt make it to the first day of training camp..he was released to make room for Gerald McCoy on the roster

Eielson
8/10/2010, 01:30 PM
Assuming nothing unexpected happens, what round range are Murray, Beal, Taylor, and Carter looking at in next year's draft? Also, when Broyles decides to go pro, do you think his lack of size will drop him a round or two?

NormanPride
8/10/2010, 01:34 PM
Not an OU guy, but Jevan Snead didnt make it to the first day of training camp..he was released to make room for Gerald McCoy on the roster

Amazing. Dude was a 1st rounder last year.

Sooner04
8/10/2010, 01:50 PM
Amazing. Dude was a 1st rounder last year.
Some scouts aren't very smart. :)

rawlingsHOH
8/10/2010, 02:26 PM
Some scouts aren't very smart. :)

Right, "scouts" like Kiper!

rawlingsHOH
8/10/2010, 02:27 PM
Also, when Broyles decides to go pro, do you think his lack of size will drop him a round or two?
If Broyles doesn't run 4.4 or lower, he's looking round 3 or later.

MojoRisen
8/10/2010, 02:31 PM
He runs a 4.5 ish, but he is elusive and quick. If he has another year like last year, I expect him to go late round 1 or early round 2.

badger
8/10/2010, 02:32 PM
Some Mel Kipers aren't very smart. :)

^^^^agree :D

Bawww, someone already made the Mel joke, so let me just add to this conversation by saying that Jevan had a year of eligibility left when he declared pro, only to go undrafted, only to not make the NFL, only to see another SI preseason college football coverboy from another school take his spot as Ole Miss' starting QB.

Kids, listen to Stoops when he says stay in school and get your education! Don't listen to ol' Mel!

SoonerLB
8/10/2010, 03:21 PM
^^^^agree :D

Bawww, someone already made the Mel joke, so let me just add to this conversation by saying that Jevan had a year of eligibility left when he declared pro, only to go undrafted, only to not make the NFL, only to see another SI preseason college football coverboy from another school take his spot as Ole Miss' starting QB.

Kids, listen to Stoops when he says stay in school and get your education! Don't listen to ol' Mel!

I could not agree more! And if the NFL changes the way rookies are paid (which is pretty likely), the easy money trough is gonna dry up, so a whole bunch of young guys better be taking advantage of that education they are supposed to be getting.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/10/2010, 03:31 PM
Assuming nothing unexpected happens, what round range are Murray, Beal, Taylor, and Carter looking at in next year's draft? Also, when Broyles decides to go pro, do you think his lack of size will drop him a round or two?

Murray is all over the place right now...I would have to say as a probably 5th best RB available, thats a 3rd round pick..Kiper has him higher(3rd best back) which would probably be a 2nd...

Beal-Like Lofton, his workouts won't be off the charts, but he'll have a good amount of film work..probably an early 2nd rounder..could work his way into the 20-25 range though

Taylor-I have no idea really but if he can stay healthy, a late guy, maybe
late 5 early 6..most likely an UDFA...

Carter- a 4th-5th rounder potentially...

Broyles-I would say 2nd round on Broyles potentially..If your gonna be short, you need to be strong and fast....Broyles is a guy some NFLers think could have a problem getting open in the pros..2nd round best, worst 4th....

yankee
8/10/2010, 03:54 PM
Broyles-I would say 2nd round on Broyles potentially..If your gonna be short, you need to be strong and fast....Broyles is a guy some NFLers think could have a problem getting open in the pros..2nd round best, worst 4th....

broyles is the strongest receiver in the weight room for OU...not sure how that translates to the next level though.

badger
8/10/2010, 04:07 PM
I could not agree more! And if the NFL changes the way rookies are paid (which is pretty likely), the easy money trough is gonna dry up, so a whole bunch of young guys better be taking advantage of that education they are supposed to be getting.

I really think the problem with Jevan and many others (our own MK comes to mind) get it in their head the preseason before they become eligible that it is their final college season and they approach it as such. Alas, sometimes seasons don't go as everyone expected them too, draft stocks drop, but they are still in the "turn pro" mindset, so they turn pro, regardless of what coaches say they should do, regardless of what their draft stock currently is.

But, it's their decision, cuz it's their life. I'll never have to worry about such a decision personally :D

gaylordfan1
8/10/2010, 04:09 PM
I'm sure everyone saw Gresh the other night during the pre season game. I'm so used to seeing him tower over most all the college players. A man among boys if you will in college. He looked very normal and not so big next to all the NFL players.

badger
8/10/2010, 05:22 PM
I'm sure everyone saw Gresh the other night during the pre season game. I'm so used to seeing him tower over most all the college players. A man among boys if you will in college. He looked very normal and not so big next to all the NFL players.

That happens to most high school studs when they enter college. At least for Jermaine, that didn't happen till the Neffel :D

meoveryouxinfinity
8/10/2010, 10:01 PM
I believe K is his middle initial. Not 100% sure, though.gerald keith bryan mccoy. and no i'm not a stalker.
why don't we call him GKB?

OK2U
8/11/2010, 12:32 PM
Q&A with Eldridge:
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100811/SPORTS03/8110333/1083/LIVING01/Getting-to-know-.-.-.-Brody-Eldridge

OK2U
8/12/2010, 02:06 PM
Good Article on Trent William's progression:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/For-rookie_-quick-recovery-459509-100485744.html

oumartin
8/12/2010, 02:20 PM
He runs a 4.5 ish, but he is elusive and quick. If he has another year like last year, I expect him to go late round 1 or early round 2.

Wow, and according to the coaches he is the fastest kid on the team. No wonder they look slow in bowl games.

badger
8/12/2010, 02:30 PM
Good Article on Trent William's progression:
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/For-rookie_-quick-recovery-459509-100485744.html

This is very good to hear. Out of all of our first-rounders, i was worried about Trent the most, after I heard he is gonna be the "blind side" guy for the Skins.

Way to go, Trent. :)

Widescreen
8/12/2010, 02:58 PM
Wow, and according to the coaches he is the fastest kid on the team. No wonder they look slow in bowl games.

Who said he's the fastest guy on the team? I don't recall that.

oumartin
8/12/2010, 03:00 PM
I dont' recall which coach said it. I heard it on the radio.

maybe it was second hand from one of them on air personalities but I was kinda shocked when I heard it too but they specifically said broyles was fastest on the team

OK2U
8/12/2010, 03:24 PM
Recently, I heard Stoops say J. Nelson was the fastest on the team.

rawlingsHOH
8/12/2010, 03:24 PM
Broyles ran something like the second fastest 40 (4.41), in a testing I saw. That may have been last fall. Just needs to duplicate that at the combine.

badger
8/12/2010, 03:28 PM
Broyles ran something like the second fastest 40 (4.41), in a testing I saw. That may have been last fall. Just needs to duplicate that at the combine.

Ja. The SEC got kind of embarrassed at the Combine after bragging about all of their speed and even having little boards up with their ridiculously unbelievably low 40 times. Not having a good 40 time can just kill your draft stock.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0226/page2_a_mclarett_412.jpg

SoonerLB
8/12/2010, 05:11 PM
The SEC is over-rated in everything, so why not pad the time sheets while they're at it? ;)

freshchris05
8/12/2010, 05:40 PM
Oh! http://thisiswhyitsucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/diceman.jpg

ndpruitt03
8/13/2010, 03:35 PM
Speaking of the SEC. Look what our own Mike Balugon did to former Bama RB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/13/glen-coffee-retires/

edit: twitter link added
http://twitter.com/MaioccoCSN/statuses/21080776299

oudavid1
8/13/2010, 03:41 PM
Oh! http://thisiswhyitsucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/diceman.jpg

The funny thing is this kinda looks like my uncle

ndpruitt03
8/13/2010, 10:14 PM
Keenan Clayton with a solid night. 4 tackles and a sack.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2010, 11:33 PM
Talked to a philly area scout today who said that Keenan is on the 3rd team right now, but his special teams skills are gonna get him some PT this year....

as C11 said, Nic Harris was picked up by carolina..Carolina is having injury issues at the LB position...Hopefully Harris can stay healthy enough to make the roster..I say he has a pretty good shot of making it

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2010, 11:40 PM
Lendy Holmes- had a great game for the Redskins with 7 tackles and an INT in their first Pre...not a bad outting for him...

Jammal Brown nor Malcolm Kelly played...

Dom Franks had a couple of punt return opportunities for the Falcons, but fair caught both of them..got some pt in the 4th

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2010, 11:47 PM
Mark Clayton- He has helped his cause some but its gonna be a tough go for him on this Ravens team...really has to stay healthy to make this team

stoops the eternal pimp
8/14/2010, 11:59 PM
Brody Eldridge- Brody is impressing with his....hands? Has made some fantastic catches, running crisp routes, and impressing his quarterback...oh, also he is manhandling some linebackers with his blocking

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2010, 12:05 AM
Trent Williams-played well in the first pre game...He had one penalty, but he did well against the Bills first round pick from last year...Williams footwork is so good...what a great athlete

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2010, 12:17 AM
Brandon Jones- been bothered with a hamstring injury...Man I just don't know if he is gonna hang on at SF...

Eielson
8/15/2010, 12:27 AM
Mark Clayton- He has helped his cause some but its gonna be a tough go for him on this Ravens team...really has to stay healthy to make this team

Is it possible he could be cut and team up with Sam in St. Louis?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2010, 08:51 AM
thats possible....also the rumor is that the Rams have been in contact with Brian Westbrook

badger
8/15/2010, 09:22 AM
Anything to help out Sam. :(

colleyvillesooner
8/15/2010, 11:20 AM
thats possible....also the rumor is that the Rams have been in contact with Brian Westbrook

Yep, saw some where they will sign him Monday.

47straight
8/15/2010, 02:34 PM
Mike Balogun just picked off a pass for the 49ers against the Colts. Looked good.

ndpruitt03
8/15/2010, 02:43 PM
Mike Balogun just picked off a pass for the 49ers against the Colts. Looked good.

His story has to be one of the most amazing ever to come through OU. He came from nowhere to get to OU, barely played at OU, then was ruled ineligable, and now he has a shot at making an NFL team.

Eielson
8/15/2010, 02:48 PM
Yep, saw some where they will sign him Monday.

I've been hearing the same.

rawlingsHOH
8/15/2010, 02:53 PM
His story has to be one of the most amazing ever to come through OU. He came from nowhere to get to OU, barely played at OU, then was ruled ineligable, and now he has a shot at making an NFL team.
Got to play for a Big 12 and NC.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2010, 03:06 PM
One of the things Balogun has going for him is his pass coverage skills..there was a practice last week where the LB's weren't covering a TE correctly and the 49er coach told them to watch while Balogun demonstrated the correct coverage technique...So he has that going for him..

Its still gonna be tough to make that team but things can happen to change that

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2010, 03:13 PM
Balogun, R. Smith, and Eldridge chatting it up...good to see Sooner players meeting up on the field

sooner518
8/15/2010, 03:29 PM
Reggie Smith had a 91 yard pick 6 today

stoops the eternal pimp
8/15/2010, 04:06 PM
yeah...caught one off a tip and it seemed nobody chased him except the qb....

nice endzone dance for reggie

ndpruitt03
8/15/2010, 05:34 PM
Got to play for a Big 12 and NC.

He probably about 3 competitive games at OU. I agree that he would have played a lot last year also, but he didn't. Still it says a lot about him that he basically didn't quit football after all he's been through. And now it looks like he'll have a shot at making that roster.

ndpruitt03
8/15/2010, 05:56 PM
One of the things Balogun has going for him is his pass coverage skills..there was a practice last week where the LB's weren't covering a TE correctly and the 49er coach told them to watch while Balogun demonstrated the correct coverage technique...So he has that going for him..

Its still gonna be tough to make that team but things can happen to change that

I think he could make special teams at least with how well he's performed. He took out a RB the other day, so he's definitely raising eyebrows. At worst he's getting looks from other teams with how he's played.

o0Dan0o
8/15/2010, 06:55 PM
Gresham being very impressive right now against Denver, looks like a seasoned pro. Though his blocking still needs to improve some, but all of his catches have been fantastic.
Dan

oudavid1
8/15/2010, 07:43 PM
Though his blocking still needs to improve some

Great point!

rawlingsHOH
8/15/2010, 09:41 PM
yeah...caught one off a tip and it seemed nobody chased him except the qb....

nice endzone dance for reggie

There were three guys (#7, #14, #15) and they all looked like QBs and were all white. lol

badger
8/16/2010, 12:06 AM
Sooner-related, cuz we hate Tebow AND Domer:
http://i34.tinypic.com/1zel0yo.jpg

Quinn is so cut. Tebz is likely second-string after tonight's performance.

Just wanted to share w/o starting a new thread. sorry :O

VA Sooner
8/16/2010, 12:23 AM
So true, Badger.

Quinn looked way off this evening... throws over the receivers, throws behind the WRs, throws in a hurry because he panics in the pocket. Time to move on, Mr. Quinn.

Tebow got snookered a few times... some hard hits. Don't know that he will overtake Orton, who by they way looks like he has a completely new throwing motion. Has he been lifting weights?

BoulderSooner79
8/16/2010, 12:34 AM
No surprise that Balogun is playing well. After all, he did have previous professional experience, remember?

CU Sooner
8/16/2010, 07:57 AM
Noticed how all that work to improve teblows throwing motion was nowhere to be found once the game started. Long wind-up and very slow at that. Hvaen't heard anyone on the networkds comment about that.

badger
8/16/2010, 10:39 AM
Speaking of Brody Eldridge, how bout those old school colts helmets?
http://www.instantreplaysportcard.com/items/helmets/%2754-55%20colts.jpg
Shiny! They should keep those or just kind of make a hybrid of the current and the blue helmets or something.

Mississippi Sooner
8/16/2010, 10:47 AM
Speaking of Brody Eldridge, how bout those old school colts helmets?
http://www.instantreplaysportcard.com/items/helmets/%2754-55%20colts.jpg
Shiny! They should keep those or just kind of make a hybrid of the current and the blue helmets or something.

I liked those, too. They should keep that blue color and move the horseshoes around to where they are on the current helmet.

And I'll tell ya, Brody Eldridge might just make a decent pro tight end.

badger
8/16/2010, 12:10 PM
I hope for the best, but there are extremely steep odds to overcome for some of these guys to have NFL careers this year.

Right now, teams can have 80 players.

Aug. 31, they can only have 75 players.

Sept. 4, they can only have 53 regular roster players. Up to 8 can be placed on the practice squad.

If Ask.com is to be believed, the current rookie minimum is $325,000, up from $310,000 last year.

Practice squad players get $5,200 per week, a few don't last the entire season, but if they did, it would earn them just above $80k.

Big difference financially, so best of luck and utmost support for our Sooners to make the regular rosters, not the practice squads.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/17/2010, 11:11 AM
Brian Jackson-Coach Ryan always mentions Jackson when talking about the unheard-players he expects big things from..I think these pre season games will be important for him to show some versatility as a corner, potential safety, and special teams player..

I haven't seen the game from last night yet, I've got it DVR'd so I can give a report

OK2U
8/17/2010, 11:23 AM
That new HBO Series Hard Knocks is great--All bout Jets training camp this year.
The first episode aired last week. I saw Jackson in a few team meetings and expect him to be featured in the show more in coming episodes. The show profiled a few undrafted players in the first episode, also with Revis' holdout, the producers have put a lot of focus on the corners.

ouleaf
8/17/2010, 12:43 PM
That new HBO Series Hard Knocks is great--All bout Jets training camp this year.
The first episode aired last week. I saw Jackson in a few team meetings and expect him to be featured in the show more in coming episodes. The show profiled a few undrafted players in the first episode, also with Revis' holdout, the producers have put a lot of focus on the corners.

Thought the Joe Namath segment was a little ridiculous. Unless he's drunk and on the sideline trying to make out with Suzy Kolber, that all I really care to hear from him. I know he is a Jets legend and all, but still.....like that he brought his daughter along....I think the one that was busted for possession and intent to sell weed. She seems oh so interested in what was going on as well.

First episode was mostly about Rex Ryan, a little about Revis being out, a few notes on their big off season acquisitions (LDT, Holmes, Cromartie) and a few position battles. Pretty good job by HBO as usual. Can't believe how much editing they must have to do in such a short period of time.

Frank905
8/18/2010, 10:35 PM
Matt Clapp and Brandon Jones were cut today.

badger
8/18/2010, 10:38 PM
heard clapp was injured so they decided to let him go.
http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/e5/0f/9f/73/79/df/20100801115208_2010-0801-dm-lionscamp-am0127.jpg
I always loved watching him block. would love it if he landed with another team, but the lions are pretty bottom-of-the-barrel.

As for Brandon Jones, here's what the coach had to say:

"I'd like to thank Brandon for the effort he put forth during his time with the 49ers. Letting Brandon go at this point will allow him the opportunity to latch on with another team. We wish him all the best in the future."

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Brandon-Jones-49ers.jpg

Good luck to both of em

47straight
8/19/2010, 01:22 AM
The NFL is just a brutal business. Makes me a little queasy.

badger
8/19/2010, 07:57 AM
Brandon had a 3 yr/$15 mil contract. Might have cut him to cut the price. Then again, San Fran is stacked at receiver. Might be better for him to go to...say... St. Louis, and give Sammie a reliable target???

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:30 AM
No surprise there..I posted back on the first couple of pages that the 49ers would save money cutting Jones and Clapp wasn't versatile enough...I'm really not sure where either would fit in...

Jones isn't the guy the Rams need as he would be just another average WR on their team...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:33 AM
Gerald McCoy- Gerald didn't record a tackle in his first preseason game because I saw something I'm not sure I've seen much of in a rookie's first preseason game...A rookie being double teamed a lot...But he took up enough blockers that the Dolphins didn't manage much of anything on the ground and anything up the middle

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:37 AM
Keenan Clayton- I think he has found his position at weakside LB, right now on the 2nd string...Had a good preseason game, but it sounds like he needs to get more consistent with good practices...Lost his uncle a week or so ago and missed some time, but hopefully is back in the groove..

With the Eagles using him some at strong side, he has shown what you have to do to make an NFL roster if you are not going to be a starter.. Say it with me...Be versatile..

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:47 AM
Duke Robinson- Typically stuff from him..He showed up out of shape..Passed physical late and does some good things in practice...1st preseason game, he gives up a sack and holds some as his man beats him to the quarterback...

The Panthers Oline is not that good, so the only person he is competing against is himself

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:51 AM
Malcolm Kelly- I'm not sure how he makes the team...Can't get healthy enough to show Shanahan what he can do...And another team would hesitate to pick up a guy who can't get on the field...I feel unless a miracle happens, his time in the league isn't going to last long

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 08:56 AM
Reggie Smith- has made some noise this training camp and in the preseason game....Seems after 3 years he finally going to make a move to playing a role on the 49ers defense...backup safety and playing in the nickel...Singletary says he has worked his butt off, so to get any green spek from him is a good thing

Joe Jon Finley didn't see the field during the 1st preseason game, so that probably a good sign its over for him..

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 09:09 AM
Mark Clayton- The rumor is that the Ravens are dangling him out as trade bait to pick up some depth on the defensive side of the ball..probably the best thing for him

ouleaf
8/19/2010, 09:14 AM
Brandon had a 3 yr/$15 mil contract. Might have cut him to cut the price. Then again, San Fran is stacked at receiver. Might be better for him to go to...say... St. Louis, and give Sammie a reliable target???

I think it was 5 years and $16.5MM....I think he was guaranteed like $5MM when he signed sooo I think he got $5MM for a grand total of 1 catch....pretty good deal for Jones, not so much for the 49ers.

The fact that he got hurt last year and has had a bad hammy all camp led to his release. I think he would have made $2MM this season if they kept him which is just too expensive for a guy that is maybe your 4th receiver.

I hope he catches on elsewhere, but he's got to get over the hamstring injury before anyone will really consider him an option this year.

rawlingsHOH
8/19/2010, 09:38 AM
Duke Robinson- Typically stuff from him..He showed up out of shape..Passed physical late and does some good things in practice...1st preseason game, he gives up a sack and holds some as his man beats him to the quarterback...

The Panthers Oline is not that good, so the only person he is competing against is himself
Most overrated player of the Stoops Era?

Sooner04
8/19/2010, 09:45 AM
Most overrated player of the Stoops Era?
Who is DeMarco Murray? ;)

Wasn't Duke the guy who got the ridiculous personal foul penalty in Lubbock three years ago when he bulldozed that guy 15 yards out of bounds? Just ran him all the way through the friggin' bench.

Lott's Bandana
8/19/2010, 09:47 AM

Wouldn't it be sweet if we could sneak him on the field for one series on September 11th?

Ambulance Caravan

badger
8/19/2010, 11:56 AM
No surprise there..I posted back on the first couple of pages that the 49ers would save money cutting Jones and Clapp wasn't versatile enough...I'm really not sure where either would fit in...

Jones isn't the guy the Rams need as he would be just another average WR on their team...

Could MK or Clayton find a home in St. Louis? If Sammie can't find help on the o-line, the next-best thing is finding people to the dump the ball off to as quickly as possible

Sam.England
8/19/2010, 11:58 AM
any news on Allen Patrick making it anywhere?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 12:13 PM
any news on Allen Patrick making it anywhere?

Allen Patrick is done as far as I know..he isn't on a squad

stoops the eternal pimp
8/19/2010, 12:16 PM
Could MK or Clayton find a home in St. Louis? If Sammie can't find help on the o-line, the next-best thing is finding people to the dump the ball off to as quickly as possible

I doubt it on Kelly..He isn't a YAC receiver as he lacks top end speed..Its possible he gets released and ends up there, but he isn't any type of answer to what the Rams need..And I think the guy is completely out of football by the end of the year, unless he all of a sudden learns how to stay healthy..

If the Ravens are wanting db help, I don't think the Rams are a good trade partner..Down the road, maybe, but the Rams need a 6ft + big bodied #1 receiver...

OK2U
8/20/2010, 12:56 AM
Eldridge caught a 22, and 10 yard pass tonight.

Okie35
8/20/2010, 04:13 AM
Nice how did Dom do in the other game(nvm I saw he had 2 tackles)... and(not really news) Brian Jackson got crowned King Ugly (http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/1242/brian-jackson-your-king-ugly) lol

stoops the eternal pimp
8/20/2010, 08:22 AM
Watched Franks on a couple of punt returns...Running sideways and backwards doesn't work as much in the NFL

ouleaf
8/20/2010, 11:10 AM
Brian Jackson got crowned King Ugly

That'll definitely make Hard Knocks. Can't wait for that.

Speaking of Hard Knocks....thought this week was much more entertaining than the first week. Like the focus on the Fullbacks and John Conner (a.k.a. the Terminator). That guy has such a bright future. Everything you want in a lead blocker.

While they did focus on the CB's and Revis still being out, I was hoping we'd see more about B. Jackson, but instead they are focusing mostly on Cromartie and Wilson.

Other than that i wish they'd show more of Shonn Greene so I can decide if he is draft worthy for FF.

Crucifax Autumn
8/20/2010, 07:36 PM
That guy has such a bright future.

There is no fate but what he makes. :D

o0Dan0o
8/21/2010, 02:38 AM

What a classic line.

OK2U
8/24/2010, 12:15 PM
Allen Patrick signed with The Colts yesterday

badger
8/24/2010, 12:32 PM
Not Sooner-related, but since he's buddies with Sammie, I wanna know - Colt McCoy cut or makes the Browns roster?

The Packers dinged two Big 12 rival standouts in their first two preseason games thus far - Colt in the Browns loss, Okung in the Seahawks win. Now I'm hearing Colt is a bubble prospect that might get relegated to the practice squad?! :eek:

Colt seems better than this, and his bff Jordan I think is a sure-fire for the Bengals roster. Is this because we injured his throwing hand? Is this because he's only a third rounder? The Browns suck! They need all the QB help they can get! They just moved their first round savior from a few years ago to Denver (lol Brady Quinn, stupid domer - he gets cut, amirite???) and what do they have now? Another losing season in the making. Poor Cleveland Browns fans. They deserve a better team than this.

Crucifax Autumn
8/24/2010, 12:38 PM
Fire Colt!

badger
8/24/2010, 12:46 PM

More Terminator lines that come to mind:

http://www.joebucsfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/gerald-mccoy0512-300x298.jpg
"I swear I will not kill anybody."

http://nbcsportsmedia4.msnbc.com/j/apmegasports/200901082045747222983-pf.widec.jpg

"I lied."

:D

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 12:58 PM
Not Sooner-related, but since he's buddies with Sammie, I wanna know - Colt McCoy cut or makes the Browns roster?

The Packers dinged two Big 12 rival standouts in their first two preseason games thus far - Colt in the Browns loss, Okung in the Seahawks win. Now I'm hearing Colt is a bubble prospect that might get relegated to the practice squad?! :eek:

Colt seems better than this, and his bff Jordan I think is a sure-fire for the Bengals roster. Is this because we injured his throwing hand? Is this because he's only a third rounder? The Browns suck! They need all the QB help they can get! They just moved their first round savior from a few years ago to Denver (lol Brady Quinn, stupid domer - he gets cut, amirite???) and what do they have now? Another losing season in the making. Poor Cleveland Browns fans. They deserve a better team than this.

Kiper Jr. says, "Colt's a Top 10 pick", early last fall.

Sure, dude.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2010, 03:07 PM
Nic Harris-Likely to get cut once the Panthers LB's get back to health...made an appearance in the game against the jets with a couple of tackles, but just a body for them right now unless a couple of those injuries are serious..

Mark Bradley- Cut by the Saints

stoops the eternal pimp
8/25/2010, 03:11 PM
Brandon Jones-Picked up by the Seahawks...Thats a good situation for him..Probably will be competing with Mike Williams, former USCer, for a spot..Deion Branch, TJ Whoseyourdaddy, and Golden Tate are the other WR's of note on that team

Salt City Sooner
8/25/2010, 03:58 PM
Don't know if it'll come to pass or not, but I saw the other day where Seattle was trying to get a deal worked out for Vincent Jackson.

badger
8/26/2010, 11:47 AM
So... um... Sammie's first NFL start tonight anyone?

Pack vs. Colts on at 6 tonight on ESPN, I think. We can see how well Eldridge is coming along!

I am pretty sure they are broadcasting the Ram/Sam game on a local channel here. In not, Neffel Network in a few days will rebroadcast in high def (local broadcasts of these are live, but really crappy def)

Bourbon St Sooner
8/26/2010, 12:22 PM
Nah, we get Saints preseason in HD down here and we're 3rd world. Surely St Louis can afford HD broadcasts.

Soonermagik
8/26/2010, 12:46 PM
Mark Clayton- The rumor is that the Ravens are dangling him out as trade bait to pick up some depth on the defensive side of the ball..probably the best thing for him

He reluctanly signed a one year deal with the Ravens. He told me he's gone for sure after this year. There are several teams who have expressed interest in him if the Ravens want to deal him.

His son lives in Florida, so I hope he goes to my bucs. :)

sooner59
8/26/2010, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Clayton with the Bucs.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2010, 03:12 PM
Malcolm Kelly- I know I've discussed him a few times but its interesting how the 'skins keep holding on to him recovering enough to show this staff what he can do...But I'm more in line of thinking what nfl team could he go to, and what team would want him? An injury prone underachiever who looks like a stud receiver when standing on the sidelines...

Anyway the next round of cuts are

August 31 - Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players.

September 4 - Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2010, 03:16 PM
Jon Cooper- Cooper keeps getting 1st team snaps with Sullivan out with the calf injury...Another guy who walked into a great situation when he signed with the Vikings..A team with without a drafted center, He has done well in his pre season outings for the most part...

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2010, 03:19 PM
Clint Ingram-battling knee problems and may start the season on the PUP list meaning he will miss a minimum of 6 weeks..Had knee issues at Jacksonville also, tearing an ACL

Scott D
8/26/2010, 03:22 PM
color me surprised on that one.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/26/2010, 03:22 PM
Allen Patrick- a practice body for the Colts....gonna get a few paychecks and then he'll be done

Mississippi Sooner
8/26/2010, 03:58 PM
So... um... Sammie's first NFL start tonight anyone?

Pack vs. Colts on at 6 tonight on ESPN, I think. We can see how well Eldridge is coming along!

I am pretty sure they are broadcasting the Ram/Sam game on a local channel here. In not, Neffel Network in a few days will rebroadcast in high def (local broadcasts of these are live, but really crappy def)

The NFL Network will be showing the Rams-Pats game at 10:00 central time tonight.

OK2U
8/29/2010, 12:19 AM
Gresham TD:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a16777/Gresham-9-yard-TD
AD runs through Earl Thomas for TD:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a17080/Adrian-Peterson-bulls-in
Iglesias TD:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a176d7/Iglesias-3-yard-TD-rec

gaylordfan1
8/29/2010, 01:35 AM
I'm sure it's been said a dozen times.... I haven't read through the 9 pages. But heres my vote.

http://www.adrian-peterson.com/OU_Practice_12_29_023.jpg

gaylordfan1
8/29/2010, 01:37 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/ncf/2005/1229/photo/g_peterson_412.jpg

gaylordfan1
8/29/2010, 01:53 AM
^ Dang ^ totally my bad. I posted those pics on the wrong thread. Suppose to be on the Most deserving non winning Heiman. Sorry. :(

Sam.England
8/29/2010, 06:31 AM
AD, Gresh and Sam in the League, its gonna be a whole lot more interesting to watch!

badger
8/30/2010, 06:15 PM
Guess which Redskins receiver has a hammy problem again :(

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5512813)

Something tells me that when Washington's roster goes down to 53 guys, he's not going to be one of the 53.

oumartin
8/30/2010, 06:49 PM
Guess which Redskins receiver has a hammy problem again :(

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5512813)

Something tells me that when Washington's roster goes down to 53 guys, he's not going to be one of the 53.

really going out on a limb there huh Badger! ;)

badger
8/30/2010, 06:59 PM
really going out on a limb there huh Badger! ;)

actually, yes. it does pain me to think anything but positive thoughts on sooner alums :(

Collier11
8/30/2010, 08:33 PM
How are our fringe guys looking STEP?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/30/2010, 09:33 PM
Brian Simmons- I had completely forgot about him..Patriots cut him yesterday

I expect most of the OU guys to survive tomorrow

stoops the eternal pimp
8/30/2010, 09:40 PM
Iglesias-Good news he caught a TD pass..bad news is it was late in the 4th quarter which isn't a great sign..He has developed a good connection with rookie QB Dan LeFevour but thats not who he needs to be connected with..

Im not sure if the Bears give up on him this early or not...I'll go out on a limb and say he doesnt make the final cut

stoops the eternal pimp
8/30/2010, 09:48 PM
My thoughts on who most likely won't survive the final cut: Most probably will survive tomorrow

Lendy Holmes
Manny Johnson
Malcolm Kelly
Joe Jon Finley
Nic Harris
Allen Patrick

SCxxSOONER
8/30/2010, 10:22 PM
If one of these guys gets cut, maybe we will see a malcolm/juaquin and sam reunion in st louis!

GKeeper316
8/31/2010, 12:47 AM
Brian Simmons- I had completely forgot about him..Patriots cut him yesterday

I expect most of the OU guys to survive tomorrow

he was a long-shot in the league anyway with his club foot.

Widescreen
8/31/2010, 07:28 AM
If one of these guys gets cut, maybe we will see a malcolm/juaquin and sam reunion in st louis!

I don't understand why people keep hoping for Sooner receivers to end up in St. Louis. I want the BEST receivers to go there no matter where they came from. MK can't get healthy. How is that supposed to help Sam?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/31/2010, 08:34 AM
I left Balogun off the list, because I am getting a feeling that he could make it....Has done about everything the 49ers have asked him to..He has given SF a tough decision to make..possibly a practice squad and then brought to the active roster when someone gets injured, but may just make it

OUmillenium
8/31/2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the info.

I think Auston English is gonna play Canada foosball and hope to get picked up by the NFL later.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/31/2010, 12:11 PM
So STEP, does Ingram get cut or put on PUP?

badger
8/31/2010, 12:40 PM
When will the cut lists start rolling in? I know they need to have them in today, but do they usually wait or just get it out of the way asap?

Oh, and please post cut lists as you see 'em

EDIT: Official NFL.com list here. (http://www.nfl.com/transactions) From previous experience this list is not as up to date as the rest of the internet

OK2U
8/31/2010, 12:41 PM
They are usually posted here:
http://www.nfl.com/transactions

sooner_born_1960
8/31/2010, 12:42 PM

sooner_born_1960
8/31/2010, 12:43 PM
Heh.

OK2U
8/31/2010, 12:44 PM
Giant's QB Jim Sorgi placed on IR, out for the year.
You-know-who will most likely be Manning's backup.

Collier11
8/31/2010, 12:45 PM
Yep, unless they sign someone else Bomar has a great oppurtunity now

Sooner04
8/31/2010, 12:48 PM
I don't understand why people keep hoping for Sooner receivers to end up in St. Louis. I want the BEST receivers to go there no matter where they came from. MK can't get healthy. How is that supposed to help Sam?
And from the darkness of the deep came a voice of reason....

Collier11
8/31/2010, 12:50 PM
I wish the Rams could get Clayton, he is about the only Sooner WR that could help but as STEP said, Baltimore wants help on D and the Rams cant offer them that

badger
8/31/2010, 12:52 PM
And from the darkness of the deep came a voice of reason....

I know, but sometimes it's fun to abandon reason and reality and think that just teaming up with Sammie will somehow allow Sooner alums to recapture some of that college greatness that got them to the NFL in the first place.

rawlingsHOH
8/31/2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the info.

I think Auston English is gonna play Canada foosball and hope to get picked up by the NFL later.

Well, he is a Canadian to begin with.

Collier11
8/31/2010, 01:00 PM
ZINGER

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2010, 01:21 PM
Well, he is a Canadian to begin with.

Heh.

badger
8/31/2010, 02:11 PM
MK was placed on IR. Out for the season. Does this exempt him from roster cuts this season? IR doesn't count against the 53-man limit, right?

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100831_92_0_ASHBUR837166)

stoops the eternal pimp
8/31/2010, 04:26 PM
He'll get paid for the year but can't play..wont count against the 53 man....interesting move on their part..Shanahan really wants to see what he can do, but hasn't been able to..but he doesn't want him going elsewhere either

stoops the eternal pimp
8/31/2010, 04:47 PM
Lendy Holmes cut by the 'skins

sooner59
8/31/2010, 05:04 PM
Ouch. He stayed with them longer than I thought he would, though. Maybe he can make a team that is desperate at DB.

Scott D
8/31/2010, 07:09 PM
it's unusual these days that there is in general a lot of player depth at defensive back. If he impressed enough he may land a roster spot somewhere, but I'm thinking injuries are probably his best route to staying in the league.

Brink
8/31/2010, 07:16 PM
Lendy Holmes cut by the 'skins

He was always one of my favorite players.

:(

sooner59
8/31/2010, 10:03 PM
Maybe he can stay on the practice squad.

badger
9/1/2010, 08:09 AM
I know that it's not a lot to cut teams from 80 to 75, but it has to give some of our guys hope to survive the first cut. Sorry to hear about Lendy, but there's always a chance he could make a practice squad or get picked up midseason.

I have seen a few wire stories about a certain ex-Sooner QB being the "number two (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38940466/ns/sports-nfl/)" in New York with Jim Sorgi out. Alas, that might not be the case with a certain ex-Heisman QB that Pete Carroll conned out of the #1 overall pick spot to return for his senior season at SC instead trying to get traded.

Yup, none other than Matt Leinart, who dropped to pick #10 or so by staying in college a year and who has sat behind Kurt Warner and now Derek Anderson in Arizona. One of his potential landing spots after publicly being angsty about his second-string role (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81a2a2ea/Has-Leinart-lost-locker-room) is New York, or possibly Buffalo or Oakland. (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_matt_leinart_trade_talk.html) Thank gawd St. Louis wasn't mentioned.

So, Carroll's desire to "win forever" screwed Leinart's pro career by convincing him not to be the #1 overall pick, or at least a sure-fire first rounder, but to return to SC for some odd reason. Seeing Carroll's rage when Sanchez refused to give up his own first-round status for another year at SC was hilarious, yes, but also shows that Carroll cared about his own program more than his players. Yeah, Bradford could have been the #1 overall to the Lions last year, but I am convinced that it was Bradford's choice, rather than Stoops trying to convince him to come back. With Leinart, I think Petey rah-rah'd him back to SC. He certainly didn't stay to take a ballroom dancing class.

Anyway, Stoops > Carroll. Screw Seattle and wherever else Pete decides to coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 09:49 AM
I think Washington did Lendy a favor really...Look for him to show up elsewhere in the next couple of days

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 11:18 AM
Maybe he can stay on the practice squad.

I think the skins cut him with the first cut so that he could try and get on somewhere else..there was just no room on their roster at all with all the db's that they have

BillyBall
9/1/2010, 11:19 AM
I think Washington did Lendy a favor really...Look for him to show up elsewhere in the next couple of days

With the injuries and question marks in the Bears secondary, I could see them picking him up. I'm not sure how good of news that would be though, Sooners haven't necessarily fared well here with the brief exception of Tommie Harris.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 11:29 AM
On Malcolm Kelly, its possible his employment there is still not safe..They can remove him at anytime from the IR and cut him, which is done a lot

Collier11
9/1/2010, 11:30 AM
I thought Cincinnati just got in trouble for that, for cutting Bryant when he was hurt?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 11:35 AM
Cincy didn't get in trouble..they are just stupid for giving him 8 mil guaranteed, knowing his past injuries,etc...

lot of money to practice for a few weeks

Collier11
9/1/2010, 11:51 AM
Actually the agent filed a grievance and they were saying on ESPN that Cincy might have to pay him the rest or some of the rest of his contract. I honestly dont know so thats why I was seeing if you had heard anything like that?

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 11:58 AM
Oh, because they didn't try and do an injury settlement with him...which is weird because..

1. He wasn't injured while a member.
2. Isn't 8 mil enough to practice..

If the skins were to cut him, an injury settlement would have to occur first..

It happens a lot in the pre season...if a player signs a contract(which all preseason players do) and gets hurt, then they do an injury settlement with the player and cut him loose

badger
9/1/2010, 11:59 AM
Actually the agent filed a grievance and they were saying on ESPN that Cincy might have to pay him the rest or some of the rest of his contract. I honestly dont know so thats why I was seeing if you had heard anything like that?

I know that NFL money is usually not guaranteed, but even when it is "guaranteed," it isn't 100 percent guaranteed, right?

Didn't crazy Al Davis try to get out of paying some of Jamarkus Russell's guaranteed money because he was such a flop?

Didn't the Browns once try to get some of the effing soldier Kellen Winslow's signing bonus back because he wasn't supposed to be riding a motorcycle (let alone ride it without a helmet)?

What reasons can an NFL team use to get out of paying so-called "guaranteed money?"

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 12:02 PM
Its like this..

NFL teams cant cut a player because he is hurt, even though they do it all the time..its about wording and settlements..What the Bengals did was just give him the guaranteed money without going through the process of a settlement with him over his regular season money

Collier11
9/1/2010, 01:07 PM
So basically he is being greedy considering he got $8 mil for a cpl of months of not playing

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 01:23 PM
thats it

OULenexaman
9/1/2010, 01:28 PM
when is Cincy not doing something stupid....

badger
9/1/2010, 01:41 PM
when is Cincy not doing something stupid....

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/487176/63278_bengals_draft_gresham_football.jpg
:D

oumartin
9/1/2010, 01:47 PM
Gresham will never make it in college unless he learns to block! :D

SCxxSOONER
9/1/2010, 03:49 PM

oh of course it wouldnt be b/c sammy and malcom/jauqin had good connections in college. They just lost donnie avery who was the rams best receiver so it couldnt hurt

Widescreen
9/1/2010, 04:15 PM
oh of course it wouldnt be b/c sammy and malcom/jauqin had good connections in college. They just lost donnie avery who was the rams best receiver so it couldnt hurt

And that has exactly 0% to do with how they would do in the NFL. Very different game. And, as I said, MK can't get healthy so him sitting on the bench ain't helping Sam.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/1/2010, 04:22 PM
I agree with Widescreen..Other than nostalgia, none of the former OU guys would really offer what Sam needs..a healthy every day dominate WR

sooner59
9/1/2010, 04:25 PM
I wonder if Tinker Owens is looking for a job... :D:D:D

SCxxSOONER
9/1/2010, 10:38 PM
Well they need something to help out sam, other than Amendola who hasnt really shown he can be a good receiver in the regular season there isnt a whole lot...and theres really not a whole lot to choose from right now as far as free agents go

oumartin
9/1/2010, 11:18 PM
Clayton has proved to be a very good receiver. I just dont' think Baltimore is a good fit for him. If there is one former receiver that could help out Sam its Mark

OK2U
9/3/2010, 08:15 PM
J.J. Finley and M. Balogun cut by San Fran.

47straight
9/4/2010, 12:53 AM
M. Balogun cut by San Fran.

****. I wish the guy could catch a break.

Collier11
9/4/2010, 04:02 AM
I guess that means that Reggie Smith still has a decent shot of making it on the team

stoopified
9/4/2010, 08:16 AM
Yep, unless they sign someone else Bomar has a great oppurtunity now
FUCQ Bomar

Collier11
9/4/2010, 08:19 AM
Giants traded for Rosenfels(sp?), Bomar back to 3rd string

sooner59
9/4/2010, 11:55 AM
LOL!

Lott's Bandana
9/4/2010, 12:20 PM
What does Chilly see in T Jack that nobody else in footballdom sees?

recemp
9/4/2010, 12:42 PM
Iglesias gone from Bears - maybe practice squad

badger
9/4/2010, 12:52 PM
Giants traded for Rosenfels(sp?), Bomar back to 3rd string

Jerry Bomar does not approve of this coaching decision

In more Jerry disapproval news, rumor has it Rhett was waived. Link (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/09/giants_waive_quarterback_rhett.html)

diegosooner
9/4/2010, 01:39 PM
So, if you were looking to pick up a 3rd string QB, would you choose Lienart or Bomar?

If Bomar clears waivers, I suspect he'll be signed to the Giants' practice squad.

badger
9/4/2010, 01:58 PM
So, if you were looking to pick up a 3rd string QB, would you choose Lienart or Bomar?

If Bomar clears waivers, I suspect he'll be signed to the Giants' practice squad.

I think Bomar will clear waivers. Unless there's a vet stud that gets cut, I think it's incredibly hard for another team to pick up a guy who's pretty much a rookie (last season was practice squad, doesn't really count) when there's so many guys that have worked so hard for your team already to make the roster. Hard to cut someone who's been with the team for months for a relative n00b.

Rhett had the chance to solidify his position as #2. Interceptions are killer, man

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2010, 02:14 PM
Iglesias gone from Bears - maybe practice squad

I don't think Iglesias is eligible for practice squad

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2010, 02:14 PM
I guess that means that Reggie Smith still has a decent shot of making it on the team

Reggie Smith is going to make the roster..he's 2nd string safety

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2010, 02:20 PM
As far as Bomar goes, its like I posted earlier...The Giants coaches really don't think he has developed at all since they signed him..He knows the offense better but he still the same kid OU signed out of high school..A really talented quarterback who already reached his ceiling

stoops the eternal pimp
9/4/2010, 02:28 PM
I don't think Iglesias is eligible for practice squad

nevermind..he only appeared in one game...

Why did he not survive? Because if your not a starter in the NFL, you have to be versatile..his competition for that spot also is a good player on ST...which Iglesias is not

Collier11
9/5/2010, 08:56 PM
Manny, Bomar, Clapp, and Iggy to the practice squad. Ingram on the PUP, Brandon Jones cut, Teddy Lehman Cut, Duke on IR, Allen Patrick cut, JJ Finley cut, Balogun cut

Any other news on guys of interest?

cccasooner2
9/5/2010, 10:07 PM
Matt Clapp acquired for Giants practice squad.

badger
9/5/2010, 10:08 PM

I wonder if anyone will take a chance on Leinart immediately, much like nobody will take a chance on what's his face... Jamarkus Russell of LSU/Raider/Purple Drank fame. Perhaps both guys just want to take this season off, regroup and try to make a roster next year after letting the news of getting cut from the team that drafted you settle in

rawlingsHOH
9/5/2010, 10:37 PM
Bomar is better than Leinart.

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 12:25 AM
Leinart has stepped backwards...people are always pointing out how quarterbacks check down like its a good thing...Leinart never throws to his 1st or 2nd target

rawlingsHOH
9/6/2010, 01:37 AM
Leinart has stepped backwards...people are always pointing out how quarterbacks check down like its a good thing...Leinart never throws to his 1st or 2nd target

Watching him in college it was evident that his throws down the field lacked zip. He needed guys to be wide open for him to get the ball in there, and they usually were, as he was surrounded by NFL players at every level.

NFL windows are smaller, he can't fit it in there. And probably, as you've said, has resorted to checking down because those options are usually the underneath throws.

stonecoldsoonerfan
9/6/2010, 05:41 AM
I wonder if Tinker Owens is looking for a job... :D:D:D

call and raise ya....him and billy brooks too! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

hgarmorer
9/6/2010, 06:34 AM
Watching him in college it was evident that his throws down the field lacked zip. He needed guys to be wide open for him to get the ball in there, and they usually were, as he was surrounded by NFL players at every level.

NFL windows are smaller, he can't fit it in there. And probably, as you've said, has resorted to checking down because those options are usually the underneath throws.

I have the same issue...

badger
9/6/2010, 11:03 AM
btw, remember Crabtree's QB Graham Harrell at Tech, the one that helped OU to the title game? He's on the Packers practice squad.

primetime43
9/6/2010, 01:24 PM
Looks like Clayton is done in Baltimore...

stoops the eternal pimp
9/6/2010, 01:37 PM
Not surprised by the news he is on the trade block..Lots of teams could use his services though

badger
9/6/2010, 01:41 PM
Not surprised by the news he is on the trade block..Lots of teams could use his services though

Yeah, but none want to give the Ravens anything though, so they'll probably end up waiving him and then teams will go after him at a lowered price.

Collier11
9/6/2010, 01:46 PM
Just cus im lazy and didnt want to look it up, here is a list of final roster guys from ouinsiders...correct any of it that might be wrong

OU had 29 players make a NFL roster for opening week not counting practice squad guys. They are as follows with a * indicating the won a starting position:

Baltimore
Chris Chester
Mark Clayton
Kelly Gregg*

Cincinnati
Jermaine Gresham*
Roy Williams*

Indianapolis
Brody Eldridge

NY Jets
Brian Jackson
Brodney Poole*