PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is a Valedictorian Speech

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 12:52 PM
This is the finest speech I've ever heard from a HS Valedictorian. Absolutely fantastic. I don't agree with all of it, but I agree with most of it. This gal has balls of steel, and I love seeing the administrators behind her squirm.

The only downside is that she can't deliver the speech worth a ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M4tdMsg3ts

MR2-Sooner86
8/8/2010, 01:50 PM
This gal has ovaries of steel she wears on the outside, and I love seeing the administrators behind her squirm.

Yup.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/8/2010, 03:03 PM
She stole that speech from the 60s!

Chuck Bao
8/8/2010, 03:07 PM
I love everything that she said. I wish that I had been valedictorian of my high school class and said the same thing. My last four years of high school, I made only one "B" grade and it was only because I was let into a senior level psy class and the teacher didn't want me to beat out the seniors.

Okay, a lot of sour gripes there, as well as there were no senior level math or science classes offered in my senior year of high school. Public education sucks if you go to a very small high school in Oklahoma.

Whatever, but she has a point. The US educational system is the best in the world, although test scores don't prove that. The promotion of critical thinking and informed decisions should be what it is all about and the USA educational system beats all others or has traditionally. That may be a challenge to the beliefs of some and probably the majority. Out of respect for the thread, I haven't mentioned Fox News, but I just did.

As I mentioned before, the university is where I finally got my full education. That is why I like the fact that we have some communist economics professors, and in Baylor's case some atheist religion professors. You got to be challenged before you can have faith.

AlbqSooner
8/8/2010, 05:06 PM
This is not original with me, but I can't recall the source, so attribute it wherever:

Education without controversy is not education. It is indoctrination.

King Crimson
8/8/2010, 05:14 PM
The US educational system is the best in the world

yeah right. try working in higher education, traveling to other nations and see how they support education. they are Commies who don't embrace the free market and "accountability".

it's all nanny state bull****, education, because we can teach ourselves about the founders on a Glen Beck video pay-per. and what the Founders thought about...re: the Greeks and all that Republic crap that has been a use-value....and "common sense"...which is the answer to everything except unexamined assumptions that become ridiculous normative principles.

XingTheRubicon
8/8/2010, 05:22 PM
Voice your opinion after you've supported yourself.

Chuck Bao
8/8/2010, 05:52 PM
yeah right. try working in higher education, traveling to other nations and see how they support education. they are Commies who don't embrace the free market and "accountability".

it's all nanny state bull****, education, because we can teach ourselves about the founders on a Glen Beck video pay-per. and what the Founders thought about...re: the Greeks and all that Republic crap that has been a use-value....and "common sense"...which is the answer to everything except unexamined assumptions that become ridiculous normative principles.

I have actually traveled to other countries and I did teach an upper level course of business strategy for two semesters at Hong Kong Baptist University. The kids that I taught were bright and probably far brighter than those rich kids whose parents could afford to send them to universities in the US because the selection process was so competitive. They could memorize the phone book, if they were asked to. But, critical thinking wasn't a part of it.

Please note that I am not saying that the best universities in the US produce the very best graduates. I am saying that the overall quality and quantity is better. By that, I mean that a local US community college, that is not available to most students around the world, may have some teachers that challange their students and promote critical thinking equal to or better than those famous universities in the US or anywhere else in the world.

Leroy Lizard
8/8/2010, 06:59 PM
This is not original with me, but I can't recall the source, so attribute it wherever:

Education without controversy is not education. It is indoctrination.

Creationists would certainly agree. :)

Your slogan doesn't work when students have to parrot the prof's ideas to receive full credit. This is especially a big problem at the public school level, where teachers have a captive audience of minors.

49r
8/8/2010, 07:33 PM
Pretty annoying. She reminded me of Ellen Feiss:

_GxC4kKD9qA

49r
8/8/2010, 07:34 PM
O38-XqqWryo

49r
8/8/2010, 07:50 PM
But probably not as annoying as this one:

8XNv12I-odM

oudavid1
8/9/2010, 03:24 AM
I wrote my senior paper on compulsory education. I got an A.

my senior year of school schedule was

1st semester, 1st class (concurrent)2nd class (concurrent)3rd class (concurrent)4th class (Football

2nd semester i missed 87 classes out of 180 because i would rather sleep work. My gpa was never higher. My principles and teachers often complained, i simply said i dont care. Its not your job to worry about me. I have 2 great parents (god im blessed there!) that will do that. My mother checked me out of school 87 times because i explain very well i didnt need to go everyday and that it was almost pointless. I did learn some but very little.

My view on it is that public schooling is for basic development and something for children to do until they are old enough to think for themselves. I dont care for my diploma as much as i do what i have learned.

Chuck Bao
8/9/2010, 04:01 AM
I wrote my senior paper on compulsory education. I got an A.

my senior year of school schedule was

1st semester, 1st class (concurrent)2nd class (concurrent)3rd class (concurrent)4th class (Football

2nd semester i missed 87 classes out of 180 because i would rather sleep work. My gpa was never higher. My principles and teachers often complained, i simply said i dont care. Its not your job to worry about me. I have 2 great parents (god im blessed there!) that will do that. My mother checked me out of school 87 times because i explain very well i didnt need to go everyday and that it was almost pointless. I did learn some but very little.

My view on it is that public schooling is for basic development and something for children to do until they are old enough to think for themselves. I dont care for my diploma as much as i do what i have learned.

My senior year in high school was almost like that. It turned out really stupid and pointless. There really was only senior level English class and that didn't really challenge me. I got my education at the local bank. When I turned 18, a bank hired me to do accounting work and since I had all my classwork done by lunch time, I worked halfdays from January onwards. Those ladies who I worked with really gave me an education in life.

oudavid1
8/9/2010, 04:09 AM
My senior year in high school was almost like that. It turned out really stupid and pointless. There really was only senior level English class and that didn't really challenge me. I got my education at the local bank. When I turned 18, a bank hired me to do accounting work and since I had all my classwork done by lunch time, I worked halfdays from January onwards. Those ladies who I worked with really gave me an education in life.

Same deal for me, i work at a tuxedo shop and get the same advice from the 4 other people i work with. Its a better experience than the awkwardness and waste of time that is high school.

That, and the fact that school is the only thing im my life that I commute to daily, spend 40 hours a week at, and invest money in that dosnt pay me back. I would have been motivated if the schools pay a student maybe 10 cents for every class they attend, that would have been nice.

i would have made 288$ in high school

85Sooner
8/9/2010, 08:38 AM
Sounds like the next head of the NAGS

Leroy Lizard
8/9/2010, 12:24 PM
I got my education at the local bank. When I turned 18, a bank hired me to do accounting work and since I had all my classwork done by lunch time, I worked halfdays from January onwards. Those ladies who I worked with really gave me an education in life.

I was expecting something far more kinky.