PDA

View Full Version : Gear Oil v. Regular Oil

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2010, 11:36 PM
So, I was supposed to have an oil change on my scooter after 200 miles. I haven't done that yet, and there's over 1000 miles on it. I have, however, added regular #2 Cycle oil to it which is what it's supposed to take.

Well, the oil light has been coming on and even after adding more oil the light was still on. I whipped out the manual and evidently there are two types of oil that I'm supposed to add to this thing...one is the regular oil and the other is something called "gear oil" which is added in a totally different spot. It was also supposed to be changed after 200 miles but I haven't even added a single drop of this oil since I bought the thing. I found the drain plug on the bottom, so tomorrow I'm going to change the oil myself and pick up some "gear oil" whatever the hell that is.

I just hope I haven't done irreparable harm to the damned thing.

olevetonahill
8/7/2010, 11:43 PM
Take it to the Dealer
Hell boy if ya caint change a ****in flat ya gonna screw this up so bad caint no one fix it .:rolleyes:

MR2-Sooner86
8/7/2010, 11:48 PM
The gear oil is what's for the bottom end. It goes in for the transmission and crank of the engine.

Now, the oil you add to the gas is what is used for the top end or for the piston.

Worst comes to worst you'll have to rebuild the bottom end of the engine. For a two-stroke though it's not that bad. I remember the top end went out on my dirt bike and I think it cost around $500 to get the whole thing rebuilt and it ran like a bat out of hell after that.

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2010, 11:53 PM
The gear oil is what's for the bottom end. It goes in for the transmission and crank of the engine.

Now, the oil you add to the gas is what is used for the top end or for the piston.

Worst comes to worst you'll have to rebuild the bottom end of the engine. For a two-stroke though it's not that bad. I remember the top end went out on my dirt bike and I think it cost around $500 to get the whole thing rebuilt and it ran like a bat out of hell after that.

It's a 4-stroke.

It's running perfect, so hopefully I've been lucky. As Olevet said though, I do need to take it into the shop. I can't take it to the dealer since they don't have one in MS, but there's a general cycle shop here in town that sells scooters and motorcycles so they should be able to service it. I need the air filter and carburetor cleaned/replaced or whatever the hell it is they do.

MR2-Sooner86
8/7/2010, 11:58 PM
It's a 4-stroke.

You sure? Not calling you a liar or anything but I heard it on your video and it sounded like a two stroke. Not to mention I've never heard of a 4-stroke engine needing two types of oil unlike a 2-stroke engines.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 12:00 AM
You sure? Not calling you a liar or anything but I heard it on your video and it sounded like a two stroke. Not to mention I've never heard of a 4-stroke engine needing two types of oil unlike a 2-stroke engines.

Not a liar just an idiot. You're right it's a 2-stroke. I don't know why the hell I thought it was a 4. I had to look it up.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 12:01 AM
double post

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 12:01 AM

This is Sicem
Pay tention

Sic if its a 4 stroke what i n hell ya puttin 2 stroke oil in it fer ?:rolleyes:

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 12:03 AM
Not a liar just an idiot. You're right it's a 2-stroke. I don't know why the hell I thought it was a 4. I had to look it up.

Hence why I said , "TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ":D

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 12:05 AM
This is Sicem
Pay tention

Sic if its a 4 stroke what i n hell ya puttin 2 stroke oil in it fer ?:rolleyes:

I thought the #2 was just some random number they assigned to the oil. :D

MR2-Sooner86
8/8/2010, 12:09 AM
I thought the #2 was just some random number they assigned to the oil. :D

http://demotivatorsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/1108845-godzilla_facepalm_godzilla_facepalm_face_palm_epic _fail_demotivational_poster_1245384435_super.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
8/8/2010, 12:21 AM
What should I gap the spark plugs in my diesel engine?

MR2-Sooner86
8/8/2010, 12:33 AM
I think I have a muffler bearing going out.

Ike
8/8/2010, 12:44 AM
Hence why I said , "TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ":D

And when you do, make sure they check the blinker fluid.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 12:48 AM
And when you do, make sure they check the blinker fluid.

Heh, when I had my miata I accidentally poured engine coolant into the oil tank. I drove the thing to the nearest Quik-Lube with my fingers crossed and a prayer that it didn't blow up or something.

GKeeper316
8/8/2010, 12:55 AM
wow

Crucifax Autumn
8/8/2010, 12:58 AM
SicEm needs his own sitcom.

royalfan5
8/8/2010, 12:58 AM
Christ, I feel bad that I can't do all sorts of crazy metal fabrication and advanced mechanical work like the rest of my family and only have to stick to the basics. At least I have superior animal husbandry skills to fall back on. I don't know what I do if I were at Sic'em level.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 12:59 AM
Christ, I feel bad that I can't do all sorts of crazy metal fabrication and advanced mechanical work like the rest of my family and only have to stick to the basics. At least I have superior animal husbandry skills to fall back on. I don't know what I do if I were at Sic'em level.

I haven't yet had a need for any animal husbandry skills.

royalfan5
8/8/2010, 01:01 AM
I haven't yet had a need for any animal husbandry skills.

Clearly, you've never had the pleasure of eating the beef and chicken you raised from birth.

Crucifax Autumn
8/8/2010, 01:02 AM
I thought animal husbandry had something to do with male poke fans.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 01:12 AM
Clearly, you've never had the pleasure of eating the beef and chicken you raised from birth.

Thankfully, no.
From the frozen food section at the supermarket to my plate are the only two points in the process that I want to see my food.

unbiasedtruth
8/8/2010, 04:14 AM
you owned a miata and admit it.... sheesh next thing we'll know is you traded that in on a PT Cruiser..... :)

Crucifax Autumn
8/8/2010, 04:22 AM
SicEm would absolutely ROCK a green and gold PT.

StoopTroup
8/8/2010, 06:20 AM
SicEm....

Something in this thread leads me to believe that you have smoked a lot of pot. I'm gonna guess it started around 15 years old with a doobie or two after school or on weekends and now has worked it's way into a Wake n Bake daily life situation.

Either that or your family raised you to be Cinderella and your chambermaid duties have seriously harmed your ability to do manly things.

Now...this isn't a permanent thing but it has reached the serious stage and I believe it's time for you to consider treatment before you become like John DuPont and you are building an eagles nest in your bedroom because the eagle stands for Patriotism and the closest you can get to being a true patriot is to learn the way of the eagle.

Let us begin with understanding the difference between a 2 stroke fossil fuel combustible engine and the 4 stroke version....

2 Stroke Engine (http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/two-stroke.htm)

4 stroke Engine (http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm)

It's also good to know what the different kinds of oil are for. Back in the old days they had Straight Weight Oils. Straight Weight oil is still used from time to time on 4 stroke lawn mowers even though some of the new ones will say use 10W30....you can use a straight 30 weight. The basic knowledge of straight 30 say a 10w30 is worthy of knowing why they changed and started using the multi-viscosity oils. Climate changes allow the multi's to thin or thicken depending on the climate so that if you decide to mow your yard in December up in Wisconsin you won't have to change out the oil from a 30w to a 10 w. With a 10w30...it does it for you.

90 weight gear oil is usually going to go in the rear end differential of your car or truck or in the manual gear box of your shifter. Automatic Transmissions usually take a lighter hydraulic oil like Dextron which is usually red in color. On Automatics...they are very funny. If you were to put a 90w oil in one...you'd gum up the damned thing and probably ruin the seals as well. Dextron and the like usually have additives that improve performance and keep the internal workings clean from debris so that they will run a very long time for you. Treat an auto wrong even once...and it will become a Prima Donna that will just sit in your driveway waiting for you to wash and wax it.

2 cycles....

Basically....if your a 2 cycle....your gonna mix the oil with the gas.

I think you would be wise to maybe get a job at one of the Jiffy Lubes down there for about 6 months. It's a great place to learn the basics on car maintenance. I know you said there is a Walmart there and I'm pretty sure they change oil there. If there's not a Jiffy Lube or a Kwik Lube in Town you could maybe get on at Wally World and learn from them. The beauty of it is that if you screw up a car...it isn't yours and the worst Wally World would do is probably transfer you back to the Bra and Panty section.

texaspokieokie
8/8/2010, 08:37 AM
i had a 2-stroke sea-doo, & there was a separate place to add oil & fuel. it burned together tho, no changing of oil, ever.

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 09:18 AM
SicEm....

Something in this thread leads me to believe that you have smoked a lot of pot. I'm gonna guess it started around 15 years old with a doobie or two after school or on weekends and now has worked it's way into a Wake n Bake daily life situation.

Either that or your family raised you to be Cinderella and your chambermaid duties have seriously harmed your ability to do manly things.

Now...this isn't a permanent thing but it has reached the serious stage and I believe it's time for you to consider treatment before you become like John DuPont and you are building an eagles nest in your bedroom because the eagle stands for Patriotism and the closest you can get to being a true patriot is to learn the way of the eagle.

Let us begin with understanding the difference between a 2 stroke fossil fuel combustible engine and the 4 stroke version....

2 Stroke Engine (http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/two-stroke.htm)

It's also good to know what the different kinds of oil are for. Back in the old days they had Straight Weight Oils. Straight Weight oil is still used from time to time on 4 stroke lawn mowers even though some of the new ones will say use 10W30....you can use a straight 30 weight. The basic knowledge of straight 30 say a 10w30 is worthy of knowing why they changed and started using the multi-viscosity oils. Climate changes allow the multi's to thin or thicken depending on the climate so that if you decide to mow your yard in December up in Wisconsin you won't have to change out the oil from a 30w to a 10 w. With a 10w30...it does it for you.

90 weight gear oil is usually going to go in the rear end differential of your car or truck or in the manual gear box of your shifter. Automatic Transmissions usually take a lighter hydraulic oil like Dextron which is usually red in color. On Automatics...they are very funny. If you were to put a 90w oil in one...you'd gum up the damned thing and probably ruin the seals as well. Dextron and the like usually have additives that improve performance and keep the internal workings clean from debris so that they will run a very long time for you. Treat an auto wrong even once...and it will become a Prima Donna that will just sit in your driveway waiting for you to wash and wax it.

2 cycles....

I think you would be wise to maybe get a job at one of the Jiffy Lubes down there for about 6 months. It's a great place to learn the basics on car maintenance. I know you said there is a Walmart there and I'm pretty sure they change oil there. If there's not a Jiffy Lube or a Kwik Lube in Town you could maybe get on at Wally World and learn from them. The beauty of it is that if you screw up a car...it isn't yours and the worst Wally World would do is probably transfer you back to the Bra and Panty section.

Just what wally world needs to further screw up their Rep.

Hell Some folks i know had the oil changed on their car
went to pick it up and the dayum thing wouldnt move
you guess it the idjit drained the Transmission
cant member what year an make of car but it had the drain plug on the trans.

I know of at least 4 engines walmart has had to replace around here .

texaspokieokie
8/8/2010, 10:08 AM
my Dad did that once, long time ago.

50 yrs ago.

was about a 50 pontiac.

Breadburner
8/8/2010, 11:06 AM
Someone needs there man card revoked......

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 11:27 AM
Someone needs there man card revoked......

You must be a nOOb
this is Sic em we talkin about :D

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 01:06 PM
SicEm....

2 cycles....

One of the most informative posts I've read. Spek.

As the poster below you points out, for my 2 stroke there are indeed 2 separate places to put the oil. I'll go outside here in a moment and take pics, but if the gas and oil have to be mixed then I'm assuming the scooter does that automatically because there is a definite-labeled area for the 2 cycle oil to be added and another place in the back for the "gear oil" to be added...and then of course the gas tank itself which is in an entirely different location.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 01:16 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/gopback/PRE_2010-08-08-130827.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/gopback/PRE_2010-08-08-130854.jpg

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 01:39 PM
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/gopback/PRE_2010-08-08-130827.jpg

Def. keep oil in the 1st pic . the one that says 2 stroke or whatever . that mixes with gass and Lubes the Top of the engine

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/gopback/PRE_2010-08-08-130854.jpg

This Pick is where ya put the gear oil . Just tkae the Cap thingy off , there should be marks on it to show if its full, low or ya about to **** it up big time

Yer Owners Manual should tell you the specific type oil to add here;)

StoopTroup
8/8/2010, 05:36 PM
The dirt around the oil port is a way to tell just how long the scooter will last.

If you want it to last for a very long time...it would be clean. If you want it to last around a year....it looks like SicEm's does.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 05:38 PM
The dirt around the oil port is a way to tell just how long the scooter will last.

If you want it to last for a very long time...it would be clean. If you want it to last around a year....it looks like SicEm's does.

Meaning what? I should clean the area around the port or the dirt around the port is indicative of bad oil?

StoopTroup
8/8/2010, 05:41 PM
Meaning that you treat it like a bicycle than a motorcycle.

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 05:46 PM
Meaning that you treat it like a bicycle than a motorcycle.

I'm looking to find out what I should do differently here. Criticism aside, tell me what I should be doing and I'll do it.

StoopTroup
8/8/2010, 05:58 PM
After you ride you park your bike and clean off the road dirt. Nanowax is a great product. You can use it after you hose the bike off.

I use a product called S100 for my Harley. It's a really great product and keeps your investment looking top notch.

http://www.superbiketoystore.com/sport/images/uploads/S100GiftPackCleanersZ90860.jpg

btk108
8/8/2010, 06:10 PM
what the ?????. If it's a two stroke, you're supposed to be adding oil to your fuel. There isn't any oil to change.

Take the thing to someone who knows what they're doing.

btk108
8/8/2010, 06:14 PM
That port is for your final drive, you need to add/change hypoid gear oil. This has nothing to do with your engine.

A shaft drive scooter? Wow, didn't know they made 'em.

bluedogok
8/8/2010, 09:32 PM
That's not shaft drive, it's a typical CVT scooter transmission.

You don't mix the bean oil (2 stroke oil) with the gas on those, it has a reservoir for 2-stroke oil which is injected into the cylinder during the combustion cycle. My 72 Kawasaki 100 had that system, other than the race type bikes the only ones you premix gas/ 2-stroke oil are dirt bikes, chainsaws and such. We added one to my 70 Yamaha Mini-Enduro after it's MX racing days were over which was included on the "street" models, it just made it more usable.

As far as the oil around the dipstick, you need to make sure the dipstick is clean, the seal (or o-ring) is intact and not pinched or cracked and screwed in tight.

soonerboomer93
8/8/2010, 10:15 PM
you owned a miata and admit it.... sheesh next thing we'll know is you traded that in on a PT Cruiser..... :)

No, he owned a beetle, then a truck that he got rid of to buy the miata

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 10:21 PM
That's not shaft drive, it's a typical CVT scooter transmission.

You don't mix the bean oil (2 stroke oil) with the gas on those, it has a reservoir for 2-stroke oil which is injected into the cylinder during the combustion cycle. My 72 Kawasaki 100 had that system, other than the race type bikes the only ones you premix gas/ 2-stroke oil are dirt bikes, chainsaws and such. We added one to my 70 Yamaha Mini-Enduro after it's MX racing days were over which was included on the "street" models, it just made it more usable.

As far as the oil around the dipstick, you need to make sure the dipstick is clean, the seal (or o-ring) is intact and not pinched or cracked and screwed in tight.

There isn't a dipstick.

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 10:42 PM
what the ?????. If it's a two stroke, you're supposed to be adding oil to your fuel. There isn't any oil to change.

Take the thing to someone who knows what they're doing.

Dont **** the boy up. Its an auto mix deal .
Sic Keep that 2 cycle reservoir FULL

bluedogok
8/8/2010, 10:42 PM
There isn't a dipstick.
On the older bikes that I have had the gray plug with the oil around it was a dipstick, about 2" long from the plug threads. My newer Triumph it is just an oil plug which must be what yours is.

olevetonahill
8/8/2010, 10:44 PM
There isn't a dipstick.

YES there is DIPSTICK
Ya showed a Pic of it .
Wipe that dayum thing off a tad and add the gear oil that the owners manual said to add .
Then take that poor POS to a shop and let em make sure its right :eek:

bluedogok
8/8/2010, 10:47 PM
Follow Vet's advice, at least for the first time or until you get to know the scooter.

There should be a decent scooter shop in that town, it doesn't have to be a dealer.

CrimsonJim
8/8/2010, 10:51 PM
There isn't a dipstick.

Looked in the mirror lately? ;)

SicEmBaylor
8/8/2010, 11:46 PM
YES there is DIPSTICK
Ya showed a Pic of it .
Wipe that dayum thing off a tad and add the gear oil that the owners manual said to add .
Then take that poor POS to a shop and let em make sure its right :eek:

If you unscrew that it's just a cap, there's no dipstick attached.

picasso
8/8/2010, 11:47 PM
Take two strokes and call me in the morning.

Srsly

Howzit

olevetonahill
8/9/2010, 12:53 AM
If you unscrew that it's just a cap, there's no dipstick attached.

So bro there is nuthin stickin out beyound the Cap ?

Then FILL that bitch up with what ever oil the the owners manual says to use .

Then get it to a scooter store or someshat ok ?

goingoneight
8/9/2010, 12:58 AM
Take two strokes and call me in the morning.

Srsly

Howzit

Four stroke = Suck, squeeze, bang, blow. Drive 'er all night.

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2010, 12:59 AM

Will do. I'm going to take it in this week, because I want the air filter replaced as well. I checked the forums dedicated to my model, and everyone seems to be using Amsoil Severe Gear.

olevetonahill
8/9/2010, 01:04 AM
Will do. I'm going to take it in this week, because I want the air filter replaced as well. I checked the forums dedicated to my model, and everyone seems to be using Amsoil Severe Gear.

Then fill that bitch up with it ok ?

SicEmBaylor
8/9/2010, 01:43 AM
Aye.

bluedogok
8/9/2010, 09:16 PM

He may have to use the "pinky dipstick"....just make sure it is cooled when you check it. With the plug that close horizontal I would imagine that is the case. You had to use that method on the old German built Ford 4-speed manual transmission from the early 80's.

btk108
8/9/2010, 09:37 PM
that amsoil is great stuff.

C&CDean
8/10/2010, 08:32 AM
-sigh-

olevetonahill
8/10/2010, 09:34 AM
No, he owned a Puke Orange beetle,(that he wrecked) then a truck that he got rid of to buy the miata

Fixed :D

sooner_born_1960
8/10/2010, 09:45 AM
Sicem, now that you know what to do, please tell me your going to do these minor maintenance tasks yourself.

NormanPride
8/10/2010, 10:27 AM
I learned things in this thread.

tator
8/10/2010, 10:43 AM
Things about SicEm, I hope

Ike
8/10/2010, 10:45 AM
Things about SicEm, I hope

We pretty much already knew those things about SicEm.

tator
8/10/2010, 11:00 AM
I'm lost as to what was learned then....how to read a label? :D

SicEmBaylor
8/10/2010, 12:38 PM
Sicem, now that you know what to do, please tell me your going to do these minor maintenance tasks yourself.

Yeah, I'm still take it in on Thursday to have the air filter and carburetor or whatever cleaned but yesterday I changed the gear oil. Evidently, successfully...

sooner_born_1960
8/10/2010, 12:42 PM
Please change the air filter yourself. I'll just feel better, and so will you. It's easier than pouring oil.

olevetonahill
8/10/2010, 02:00 PM
Yup if ya can change the oil you should be able to change the Air filter
Yer Carb shouldnt need to be cleaned

texaspokieokie
8/10/2010, 03:36 PM
well, forget it, someone stole his scooter.

OULenexaman
8/10/2010, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I'm still take it in on Thursday to have the air filter and carburetor or whatever cleaned but yesterday I changed the gear oil. Evidently, successfully...

and forgot to lock it....:P