PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford impressive in Rams scrimmage

OU-HSV
8/7/2010, 11:14 PM
Even though it was a "controlled scrimmage" as they call it, he was apparently impressive and coach Spagnuolo liked what he saw for the most part

ST. CHARLES, Mo. — Rookie quarterback Sam Bradford is making a fine first impression with the St. Louis Rams.

In a controlled scrimmage Saturday night at Lindenwood University before approximately 8,000 fans, the No. 1 overall pick directed the second-team offense and unofficially went 7-for-9 for 94 yards and a touchdown in the live portion of the scrimmage. His two incompletions were drops.

Bradford and the other quarterbacks all wore red jerseys and were not allowed to be hit. The defensive schemes also appeared to be vanilla, and the Rams were missing several defensive backs due to injury.

Bradford still managed to impress.

“His command in the huddle was really good,” Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said. “He’s got a strong voice, which I know sounds like a little thing, but out there in the midst of all this he’s got control.

“He was zipping the ball around pretty good. He was hitting second receivers. There were one or two in there that I thought he might not have gotten away, which I don’t know were whistled as sacks. That’s something he’ll have to learn.”

As for Bradford, he was a little more subdued.

“It’s kind of hard to tell right after the scrimmage,” the former Oklahoma star said. “I’ll be able to tell better after we get in and see the tape. There were some good things and some bad things.”

The Rams signaled that they haven’t turned over the offense to Bradford yet, as veteran A.J. Feeley started the live portion of the scrimmage with the No. 1 offense.

Taking over on his 30-yard line, Feeley looked like a No. 1. He went 4-for-4 for 66 yards in that first drive, capping it with a 30-yard touchdown pass to Danny Amendola.

Bradford then came on for a new set of downs and completed his first pass to tight end Daniel Fells, who fumbled the ball away after a 7-yard gain. Starting anew at his 35-yard-line, Bradford hit on four straight passes in directing a 65-yard scoring drive, which included an 11-yard strike for a touchdown to Keenan Burton on a designed rollout.

“I feel very comfortable doing that,” Bradford said. “We did do a lot of that at Oklahoma and I feel I throw very good on the run.”

Bradford also had some quality throws in the situational portions of the scrimmage, including a couple of touchdown throws in red zone drills and a 45-yard pass that hit Amendola in stride in a situational 2-minute drill.

The Rams and Bradford will take part in a traditional game when the Minnesota Vikings visit St. Louis next Saturday in the preseason opener for both teams. Bradford enjoyed his first taste of action on Saturday.

“I’m glad we did this tonight,” Bradford said. “To have all these fans out here and go through a game situation definitely gave us a little preparation for next week. I’m sure those four preseason games will get us ready for the regular season.”

The Rams got through the scrimmage relatively unscathed, but Spagnuolo said third-round pick Mardy Gilyard, who was nursing a sore right wrist, took a hit on that wrist and might have injured it further. Spagnuolo added that the team will know more about the extent of the injury on Sunday.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100807_92_0_STCHAR791275

gaylordfan1
8/7/2010, 11:23 PM
Good to read that he's doing well. I'm not surprised.

Collier11
8/7/2010, 11:31 PM
does it surprise anyone

OU-HSV
8/7/2010, 11:37 PM
does it surprise anyone

Maybe Sabanball (considering recent conversations):D
(sorry Sabanball, had to throw that out there) ;)

But as far as I'm concerned, nope...doesn't surprise me one bit. But as I said, it was only a scrimmage...and the article mentions the D looked sort of vanilla, but it's just good that he's clicking and impressing the coaches and observers right from the get-go.

Collier11
8/7/2010, 11:42 PM
most of us are smart enough to realize that its just a controlled scrimmage, its gonna be a tough regular season but im sure they will rely on Steven Jackson big time which will help

OU-HSV
8/8/2010, 12:07 AM
most of us are smart enough to realize that its just a controlled scrimmage, its gonna be a tough regular season but im sure they will rely on Steven Jackson big time which will help

No doubt, one has to think Steven Jackson will help keep some pressure off of Sam. It would really suck if the Rams only had a mediocre RB, but SJ is a stud

Collier11
8/8/2010, 12:10 AM
Its just too bad they dont have atleast a decent WR to help out

I want Sam to start from Day 1 but the benefit of him waiting is if the Rams are 0-4 or 1-3 after 4 games, anything he does after that is a benefit as opposed to having the entire weight of the team on his shoulders from day 1

OU-HSV
8/8/2010, 12:15 AM

I want Sam to start from Day 1 but the benefit of him waiting is if the Rams are 0-4 or 1-3 after 4 games, anything he does after that is a benefit as opposed to having the entire weight of the team on his shoulders from day 1
Exactly, it seems like they have a pile of WRs with a lot of potential...just nothing totally proven yet. I mean no true standout yet really. As long as Gilyard gets past his wrist injury, he ought to help. But it would really help to have a big name, proven #1 WR threat.
Yes it will be interesting to see how they handle Sam's starting role

Collier11
8/8/2010, 12:18 AM
we have some Sooners playing tomorrow, Gresham, Roy, Manny...anyone else im forgetting?

OU-HSV
8/8/2010, 12:22 AM
That's all I can think of. Just the one game tomorrow right? Cowboys vs. Bengals..I saw Gresham is starting

gaylordfan1
8/8/2010, 12:26 AM
is it televised?

OU-HSV
8/8/2010, 12:30 AM
is it televised?

EDIT: Correction, NBC at 7

gaylordfan1
8/8/2010, 12:32 AM
thanks

OK2U
8/8/2010, 12:43 AM
der

Salt City Sooner
8/8/2010, 12:48 AM

Stinks for this year, but the good news is there's a really good crop of top tier WR's coming out next year.

SoonerKnight
8/8/2010, 02:02 AM
I have a feeling Sammy is going to be the next eli manning out there in the NFL world. He'll definately impress. Remember didn't he go the Super Bowl his secong year?

Aries
8/8/2010, 08:37 AM
I read a lot of articles out of St. Louis, and from everything I'm reading the media and public there are really starting to love Bradford. Not only is he looking very sharp in training camp, he seems to be getting better every practice and doing/saying all the right things on and off the field.

Latest speculation I'm reading is there's a possibility he'll be named the starter for week 1, but the popular prediction right now is somewhere around week 3 or 4. Spagnuolo won't say anything at all, just that they'll go with whoever is playing best at the time, and won't rush Sam until they feel he is ready.

OU-HSV
8/8/2010, 11:06 AM
I have a feeling Sammy is going to be the next eli manning out there in the NFL world. He'll definately impress. Remember didn't he go the Super Bowl his secong year?

It was Eli's 3rd or 4th season. Still impressive though. I've never been an Eli fan...he just annoyed me and I thought he was letting his daddy run his draft day for him. I never really thought he'd be that great, but I had to eat those words the year he won the super bowl

delhalew
8/8/2010, 11:14 AM
Eli is no Peyton.

OU-HSV
8/8/2010, 05:19 PM
Eli is no Peyton.

agreed

StoopTroup
8/8/2010, 05:51 PM
Bottomline is that most of the naysayers think Bradford is one hit away from being a bust so until he completes a pass in pre-season he's not worth a penny to most of those idjets.

Of course...we all know he's gonna light up the NFL.