PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mavericks fans...

the_ouskull
8/7/2010, 05:40 PM
..how would you feel about a starting lineup of:

- Kidd
- Butler
- Nowitzki
- Haywood
- Chandler

That'd leave you with a bench of Barea, Terry, Jones (the rook), Marion, and Ajinca, which I listed in that order because that's a starting five that would give the at least the T-Wolves some problems... they're not guarding anybody, but, with the starting five I listed, would they HAVE to?

Kidd's the shortest player, at 6'4", and still an excellent rebounder from the point guard position. Butler is 6'7", which is larger than most shooting guards, and even if Kidd and Butler and too slow-of-foot to keep their guys from driving past them, they'd be running right into a frontcourt that's 7'1", 7'0", and 7'1".

Oh, and I didn't mention Stevenson, 'cause he'll probably only play significant minutes if there's some injury issues, or if someone gets traded, and I didn't mention Roddy B, 'cause he's injured, and may miss the beginning of the season. (Hurt himself in France playing with the national team. Stupid cheese-eating surrender monkeys.) I also didn't mention Mahinmi because he's nowhere NEAR ready yet, although, since the Spurs drafted him, I wouldn't be ready to give up on him yet either...

...stupid James Anderson...

Anyway, it's just an idea. What do you think of it? Let's hear it.

the_ouskull

GrapevineSooner
8/8/2010, 07:38 AM
If I got the 2008 version of Chandler, I'd be excited.

As it is, this outfit would be just like season's past. Win a bunch of games in the regular season...and then lose early in the playoffs.

But at least Damp's no longer there.

Mark_in_Tulsa
8/8/2010, 10:36 PM
Slow and soft team with that lineup.

Plus 3 guys playing out of position. I wouldn't do it.

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2010, 01:31 AM
Dirk might as well be 4'5 on the defensive side cause that's how he plays. Love the addition of Tyson. People have to remember, not many western conference teams moved on people. If anything, some west teams lost some valuable players. Mavs are looking to move ajinca so they're not done yet.

Dominique Jones will be a solid value off the bench. I'm just hoping the broken foot of Roddy B is a blessing in disguise. When he gets back he will be well rested and just runs all over the court like Rondo!?

ouleaf
8/9/2010, 08:56 AM
Might run the risk of foul problems if you run Haywood and Chandler at the same time. Dirk at the 3 would be interesting as it is probably the one position on the floor where you can have a liability on defense and still be okay.

However, he isn't nearly athletic enough IMO to be an effective option at the 3. There has also been a lot of questions as to whether Butler is more effective as a 2 or 3. The numbers seem to point that he is a better 3.

I'd say you are more likely to find:

Kidd
Terry
Butler
Dirk
Haywood/Chandler

Terry starts until Roddy B makes his way back or you might even see Jones get some starting minutes at the 2 if you think Terry is more valuable as a 6th man.

Ruf/Nek7
8/9/2010, 12:22 PM
Terry starts until Roddy B makes his way back or you might even see Jones get some starting minutes at the 2 if you think Terry is more valuable as a 6th man.

I agree, Terry starts until Jones is ready to take over. When Roddy B gets back, he will dip into some of Kidd's mins so the old man doesnt run out of gas in the playoffs.

the_ouskull
8/11/2010, 07:03 PM
He ran out of gas three years ago. He's been coasting in neutral down Dallas' downhill slide since the Mavs were cheated in Miami.

the_ouskull

ouleaf
8/12/2010, 12:11 AM
He ran out of gas three years ago. He's been coasting in neutral down Dallas' downhill slide since the Mavs were cheated in Miami.

the_ouskull

He hasn't been nearly as consistent, which is unfortunate because he is such a fan favorite. If the Mavs could move him, it would be great, but his contract won't allow that this year. I do think he still holds some value as a scorer off the bench, but it's hard to justify the 21-22 million over the next 2 years.

On a more positive note, it looks like the Mavs are going to resign Tim Thomas for the Vet minimum. Unfortunately he missed most of last season taking care of his wife who was ill.

Thomas is a pretty solid backup option at the 4 when Dirk is out of the game. He can score down low and out on the perimeter and is a serviceable defender. Pretty excited to get him back.

the_ouskull
8/12/2010, 06:35 PM
I don't think I've ever heard "Jason Kidd" and "scorer" in the same sentence; at least, not since he was young in the league and was called upon to guard the other team's best scorer.

Signing Thomas, if he's still in shape, would be big for Dallas.

the_ouskull

Ruf/Nek7
8/18/2010, 02:05 PM
I don't think I've ever heard "Jason Kidd" and "scorer" in the same sentence; at least, not since he was young in the league and was called upon to guard the other team's best scorer.

Signing Thomas, if he's still in shape, would be big for Dallas.

the_ouskull

Definitely been a lack of scoring from Kidd since he has been back. But surely most Mavs fans would not be surprised by that. I know i'm not. Adding Thomas is huge for depth. With Dirk, Haywood, Thomas, Mahimi, Ajinca, Chandler, and Marion, I would have to think we are deep in the Forward positions.

ouleaf
8/18/2010, 04:51 PM
Definitely been a lack of scoring from Kidd since he has been back. But surely most Mavs fans would not be surprised by that. I know i'm not. Adding Thomas is huge for depth. With Dirk, Haywood, Thomas, Mahimi, Ajinca, Chandler, and Marion, I would have to think we are deep in the Forward positions.

Kidd has dramatically improved his 3-ball since he's gotten here. But unless he is moving in transition, he isn't going to get many other buckets beside the deep perimeter shots. The Mavs have to cut his minutes during the regular season if he is going to have anything in the tank come playoff time. He averaged 36 mpg last year which is just too much.

I'm glad to have Thomas back and we've been hearing good news about Chandler with Team USA. Not exactly sure how much time Mahinmi and Ajinca will get, but it'll be nice to have at least one of them as a 3rd center instead of playing Marion or Najera (last year) out of position.