PDA

View Full Version : Eric Mensik to start at RT...is this good or bad?

adoniijahsooner
8/6/2010, 04:21 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/08/06/landry-jones-to-regrow-stache-eric-mensik-starting-at-rt/?custom_click=lead_story_title

Senior Eric Mensik, who started the final three games last season, one at tight end, two at offensive tackle, opens two-a-days as OU’s starting right tackle ahead of Cory Brandon, Jarvis Jones and Josh Aladenoye, offensive line coach James Patton said Friday.

Mensik was a tight end his entire career until late last season.

“If you had told me as a freshman I’d be playing on the o-line I’d have said you’re crazy,” Mensik said. “I came in as a freshman at 231. I’m 290 now. I’ve gained 60 pounds.”

Mensik said his gain-weight diet has included eating everything, including hamburgers, ice cream and candy. He quickly pointed out: “I also eat the good stuff like fruit. But I got to splurge a little because I had to gain the weight.”

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2010, 04:23 PM
I thought he did an excellent job last season filling in...

I think Jones is not that good and Brandon?.....I think the guy is a talented player with concentration issues

badger
8/6/2010, 04:25 PM
Before:
http://media.scout.com/media/image/58/581630.jpg
I fear what the after shot is. if I was his momma, I am not sure how i'd feel about a coach's endorsement of eating everything to gain 60 pounds

rawlingsHOH
8/6/2010, 04:26 PM
A natural move. Seemed fairly obvious he wasn't a TE.

Though I'd like to see Jarvis make a push!

adoniijahsooner
8/6/2010, 04:28 PM
At least we have viable choices this year. Guys with experience coming in who are ready to play.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2010, 04:28 PM
Right...He wasn't really an option in the passing game...If you can get a guy with the feet of TE bulked up to lineman size(Chris Chester) and keep those feet, thats a great weapon..probably eventually moved over to the left side

ndpruitt03
8/6/2010, 04:45 PM
He was one of our better linemen at the end of the year. I think we'll be fine with him at OT. We can probably still see him as a TE in some run situations.

oudavid1
8/6/2010, 05:04 PM
competition makes for success. Besides, i dont think he minds gaining 60 lbs under smidtys watch

gaylordfan1
8/6/2010, 05:51 PM
It's not like that 60lbs made him fat. He still looks solid.

BoomerJ
8/6/2010, 05:55 PM
Anyone see him today? Me and the kids only had time for Defense.

Collier11
8/6/2010, 06:17 PM
Good news, he played his azz off last season

Breadburner
8/6/2010, 06:38 PM
I think I will have faith in Stoops and company on this one.....

gaylordfan1
8/6/2010, 06:43 PM
Anyone see him today? Me and the kids only had time for Defense.

Yea, my wife and I did our morning run around campus today. I saw the players entering the field house around 7:00. He looks big, but not flabby... Seems to be solid. They have posted some pic's and interviews on soonersports.com. Some of our freshmen look very impressive physically. I was kinda taken back on how big Geneo Grissom is.

OK2U
8/6/2010, 08:36 PM
Though I'd like to see Jarvis make a push!

Jarvis weighed in at 277 on Aug. 4th.
The Dude is 6-7
He's been here for a while, too.
Either he's got a ridiculous metabolism, cancer, or a lack of dedication.

gaylordfan1
8/6/2010, 08:52 PM
Or he's doing that P90X.... damn you tony!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 08:57 PM
Before:
http://media.scout.com/media/image/58/581630.jpg
I fear what the after shot is. if I was his momma, I am not sure how i'd feel about a coach's endorsement of eating everything to gain 60 pounds

Badg...Nope. That's an after. I pulled out my media guides. He's even a little thicker in this pic than he was in the 2008 guide where he was a little thicker than the 2007.

His weight is listed as "only" 288. I think he'll be ok. Healthy, even...

And as for this debate? By my measure Mensik was kickin' *** at this position a heckuva lot better than Brandon. I'm sorry Cory didn't turn out as Merv envisoned (he said he would be a superstar), but Mensik may indeed be an upgrade. The talking heads purported that the staff was not happy with Brandon's work ethic over the summer given the latest depth charts. Maybe that is speculation... maybe not.