PDA

View Full Version : Bell not to redshirt?

w0lfe
8/6/2010, 12:13 PM
So i hear that Stoops said that he wont redshirt bell. This is interesting... It leads me to believe that maybe he has passed Drew Allen, or possibly throwing in some formations for him such as the wildcat? Opinions...

OK2U
8/6/2010, 12:19 PM

Stoops says he doesn’t go into any season planning
to redshirt players. Right now, there is no plan to redshirt Bell.

“I don’t want to redshirt anybody,” Stoops said. “I believe in playing them four years. I believe that the quality of players we’re getting, they’re not going to be here that fifth year. And they’re better players in their second year maybe when you need them more having played even a little bit their first year.”

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100806_92_0_NORMAN20371

badger
8/6/2010, 12:22 PM
I love Drew Allen, mostly because he's from NormanPride's favorite high school, but Stoops has the philosophy that the best players play, regardless of how long they've been in a program.

No coddle-happy Mack at OU that starts Chance Mock over Vince Young or Chris Simms over Major Applewhite. The best players play, period.

However, don't think that this is because Drew is out of the competition or that Bell passed him. This might be Drew's choice. Keith Nichol didn't want to redshirt either when he came to OU.

OK2U
8/6/2010, 12:33 PM
Keith Nichol didn't want to redshirt either when he came to OU.
Hope it works our better for Bell than it did for Keith.

badger
8/6/2010, 12:40 PM
Hope it works our better for Bell than it did for Keith.

I loved him and seeing him in scrimmages during the 3-way competition involving Joey and Sammie, there were some plays that really made it look like Iceman would win the job.

He didn't. Worse yet for him, the times he got to come into games, he looked nervous and panicked even when the game wasn't on the line.

Worse still for him, when he transferred back to Mich State, he played well and really seemed to be the best QB out there, but wasn't getting meaningful snaps in games.

Poor Keith. Glad he decided to come out and compete, but he probably would have been best to stay a Spartan. Wish him luck as a WR this year though. Maybe he'll get lucky and pull an ENA?

rawlingsHOH
8/6/2010, 12:50 PM
Play 'em while you got 'em. If there is a log jam, you can always redshirt a guy later down the road.

stoopified
8/6/2010, 12:51 PM
.I just heard an interview on KREF with Stoops where he made vitually the same quote verbatim.

HBick
8/6/2010, 01:06 PM
Bodes well for Kendall coming in

Mad Dog Madsen
8/6/2010, 01:24 PM
I love Drew Allen, mostly because he's from NormanPride's favorite high school, but Stoops has the philosophy that the best players play, regardless of how long they've been in a program.

No coddle-happy Mack at OU that starts Chance Mock over Vince Young or Chris Simms over Major Applewhite. The best players play, period.

However, don't think that this is because Drew is out of the competition or that Bell passed him. This might be Drew's choice. Keith Nichol didn't want to redshirt either when he came to OU.

AD didn't start over Kejuan when he first got here...

oudavid1
8/6/2010, 01:38 PM
Bodes well for Kendall coming in

This is what i thought so.

BTW folks, He is going to pass poor Drew Allen (I have an inside source that says so)

ndpruitt03
8/6/2010, 01:40 PM
I would understand the move if he's competing for a starting job but our backup QBs barely get any playing time unless there's injuries. So I think we should just redshirt him unless Landry gets hurt.

oudavid1
8/6/2010, 01:42 PM
unless there's injuries.

unless Landry gets hurt.

Cough, knock on wood, LOUDER COUGH

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2010, 01:51 PM

well, there is a difference in qb's and rb's starting....starting qb's are gonna get 95-100% of the snaps where a backup rb may get more carries than a starting rb...that doesnt mean much

badger
8/6/2010, 02:00 PM

AD was still learning the offense. As you may recall, Peterson and Kejuan both had 100-yard rushing games at the home opener, so it's not like AD was just benched in favor of the veteran. Besides, AD ended up with 1,925 yards that season, if I recall correctly!

Major and VY, on the other hand... :D

ndpruitt03
8/6/2010, 02:05 PM
AD was still learning the offense. As you may recall, Peterson and Kejuan both had 100-yard rushing games at the home opener, so it's not like AD was just benched in favor of the veteran. Besides, AD ended up with 1,925 yards that season, if I recall correctly!

Major and VY, on the other hand... :D

You are thinking of Major and Chrissy. VY is not that old. VY had to beat out Chance Mock I think.

rawlingsHOH
8/6/2010, 02:14 PM
About 3 games in he did! lol

IronHorseSooner
8/6/2010, 02:25 PM
As for redshirting guys in this class, if the staff did redshirt guys, it would likely be on defense. There are some guys who can come in a get some meaningful snaps, like Jefferson, Grissom, or Nelson, but the majority of immediate contributors are on offense.

sluggo sooner
8/6/2010, 02:25 PM

And AD got pulled out of the 2004 game against Texas his freshman year - and Kejuan put back in - when AD ran out of bounds instead of going down in bounds late in the game. We were up 6-0 at the time. Freshman mistake. Kejaun comes back in to score rushing TD. AD rushes for 225, Kejaun for 63 yards.

mightysooner
8/6/2010, 02:47 PM
Doubt Stoops would have a prized QB like Bell running the ball in a wildcat formation given his history of staunch opposition to running his QB's. My guess is there's a quality issue concerning depth at the QB position, and he may have to call on Bell over Allen or *gulp* the Stache himself.

badger
8/6/2010, 02:50 PM
You are thinking of Major and Chrissy. VY is not that old. VY had to beat out Chance Mock I think.

Ja, I meant that those two were bench camping when they were clearly better than the guy on the field. Chrissy never had to bench camp too much, Mack loved him too much :rolleyes:

AD ran out of bounds instead of going down in bounds late in the game
And he's never run outta bounds if he could help it ever since... nor has he ever been pleased about getting tackled. He still slams the ball in the turf every time. That's our AD :)

MojoRisen
8/6/2010, 03:53 PM
Blake Bell is our third string QB, if Stache gets hurt god for bid ... then he is our second string QB - he won't step foot on the field and will RS. IF we burn his shirt for 150 yards and some gay PT - I would be upset.

rawlingsHOH
8/6/2010, 04:30 PM
Blake Bell is our third string QB, if Stache gets hurt god for bid ... then he is our second string QB - he won't step foot on the field and will RS. IF we burn his shirt for 150 yards and some gay PT - I would be upset.
Then just shirt him the next year.

texaspokieokie
8/6/2010, 04:41 PM
if said players are as good as we want them to be, they'll only be here 3 yrs. anyway.

so red shirt is wasted year.

MI Sooner
8/6/2010, 04:56 PM
I loved him and seeing him in scrimmages during the 3-way competition involving Joey and Sammie, there were some plays that really made it look like Iceman would win the job.

He didn't. Worse yet for him, the times he got to come into games, he looked nervous and panicked even when the game wasn't on the line.

Worse still for him, when he transferred back to Mich State, he played well and really seemed to be the best QB out there, but wasn't getting meaningful snaps in games.

Poor Keith. Glad he decided to come out and compete, but he probably would have been best to stay a Spartan. Wish him luck as a WR this year though. Maybe he'll get lucky and pull an ENA?

I beg to differ. I think at MSU he was Chance Mock/Chris Simms, and Kirk Cousins is VY/Major Applewhite. Cousins if more talented and has perfomed better. And not that the NFL draft says who the better college player was, but Kirk Cousins will be drafted, probably in the top 4 rounds, and Nichol won't and I don't think he would have been.

badger
8/6/2010, 04:59 PM
I was probably watching Sparty games with crimson glasses on, but Nichol always seemed to be progressing the ball, picking up first downs by foot if not by air, and there was an overtime game that for some reason Cousins got to finsh out, even though Nichol got them to overtime.

But... don't see much Mich State down here, so dunno. Just IMHO.

ndpruitt03
8/6/2010, 05:01 PM
I think they've already moved Nichol to WR.

badger
8/6/2010, 05:21 PM
I think they've already moved Nichol to WR.

ja, that's why I said he might luck out and pull an ENA

gaylordfan1
8/6/2010, 05:36 PM
This is what i thought so.

BTW folks, He is going to pass poor Drew Allen (I have an inside source that says so)

Source or not it's hard to say how Bell has progressed after just 1 practice with the team. And I doubt he is a unanimous 2nd string QB after that first practice by the coaches. Stoops is very high on him though. He is (by report, I haven't seen him in person) a physical specimen. He resides in such a difficult position that requires many hours in the film room and with his teammates to grasp our offense. I feel thats what set Bradford apart from a lot of our QB's, his work ethic. I'm not saying he won't eventually be our # 2, but it seems to be a bold statement saying he has already taken the spot after a few practices. In all honestly, I think he will do great things at OU. And I have no problem with him being our # 2. I just want the best player on the field.

Sooner-N-KS
8/6/2010, 06:20 PM
Think it's possible he doesn't see the field early, but they come up with some Tebow-like plays for him to run against *?