PDA

View Full Version : Is August the worst month of the year?

royalfan5
8/6/2010, 11:01 AM
I say yes. Nothing good has ever happened to me in August. Plus it's hot and miserable, and jack **** is going on.

delhalew
8/6/2010, 11:56 AM
Your jones for football has brought you to the brink of insanity, and in OK every damn day is 100 degrees plus...I vote yes.

JohnnyMack
8/6/2010, 12:21 PM
July is worse.

Football starts Sunday you ninny.

yermom
8/6/2010, 12:23 PM
i have to say, Southern California is better than OK in August

JohnnyMack
8/6/2010, 12:34 PM
i have to say, Southern California is better than OK in August

Go **** yourself, San Diego.

yermom
8/6/2010, 12:38 PM
:D

it was too cold at the beach the other day, i mean damn

it's not making the prospect of the drive home feel any more appealing

JohnnyMack
8/6/2010, 12:45 PM
:D

it was too cold at the beach the other day, i mean damn

it's not making the prospect of the drive home feel any more appealing

Just drive home in time for the first game. You sure as hell aren't missing anything here.

BillyBall
8/6/2010, 12:50 PM
I say February is the worst month. It's ****ing bitter cold here, the streets have gone months without cleaning, it seems that the winter will never end, ****ing old people dying everyday, and did I mention that it's ****ing bitter cold?

SicEmBaylor
8/6/2010, 01:07 PM
September and October are my favorite months. August really is a bitch.

delhalew
8/6/2010, 01:36 PM
July is worse.

Football starts Sunday you ninny.

Pffft! Real football starts in Sept.dopey.

Pricetag
8/6/2010, 01:40 PM
I say February is the worst month. It's ****ing bitter cold here, the streets have gone months without cleaning, it seems that the winter will never end, ****ing old people dying everyday, and did I mention that it's ****ing bitter cold?
In school, February also sucked beause there were no days off. Yep, February is terrible.

soonervegas
8/6/2010, 02:46 PM
August and February are in a dual to the death for worst month in Oklahoma.

I give August the nod, because at least February has college basketball and the Thunder.

GottaHavePride
8/6/2010, 02:48 PM
February rocks. It's ****ing cold, no insects flying around outside, and everything I'm allergic to is dead and buried under snow. Best time of the year.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/6/2010, 03:17 PM
February rocks. It's ****ing cold, no insects flying around outside, and everything I'm allergic to is dead and buried under snow. Best time of the year.

This.

Plus I was born in February, so the awesome-est day ever is celebrated worldwide then.

JohnnyMack
8/6/2010, 03:24 PM
This.

Plus I was born in February, so the awesome-est day ever is celebrated worldwide then.

Groundhog Day?

Eielson
8/6/2010, 04:22 PM
The post-Christmas winter months can be pretty depressing.

JohnnyMack
8/6/2010, 04:26 PM
I hate Oklahoma summers with every bit of passion I can muster. The only thing that gets me through them is the knowledge that cool fall weather and football are inching closer.

And I happen to like long, dark, cold winter nights.

Ike
8/6/2010, 04:31 PM
I must disagree with the original post. My wife was born in August, which up's it's appeal a bit. But the thing that is going to take it over the top for me, and turn August into a dead heat with January for BEST MONTH EVER is that if the doctors are correct, this month will see the birth of my daughter. (January saw the birth of my son...man...our kids just pick the worst weather months possible to be born in.).

Ike
8/6/2010, 04:32 PM

In Chicago, this is absolutely the truth.

texaspokieokie
8/6/2010, 04:37 PM
when i was young & lived in OK, the winters were miserable & i hated that.
summer was the obvious favorite, but that was partially due to being out of school. you must remember that there wasn't much AC in those days, certainly not in our house or the school. mostly ,AC was in movies, & the
First Baptist Church. also some department stores.point is, heat doesn't seem so bad when you never get all that cool.

now, here in tezas, winters are mild & summers are miserable. it won't really cool off here until about mid Oct. can hardly wait.

i agree,august is worst, but sept is no picnic.

Flagstaffsooner
8/6/2010, 04:59 PM
No, no , no!
Football is just around the corner and it starts to cool off on the Mountain.

texaspokieokie
8/6/2010, 06:00 PM
from what i see in the DMN, weather "on the mountain" is already nice & cool,
especially compared to dallas county.

varies from 80 or 85 to about 50 every day in the summer.

tuff winters tho.

i came thru there in dec of 67 & there was about 48' of snow on the ground.

Breadburner
8/6/2010, 06:41 PM
February Sucks.......

olevetonahill
8/6/2010, 06:52 PM
I must disagree with the original post. My wife was born in August, which up's it's appeal a bit. But the thing that is going to take it over the top for me, and turn August into a dead heat with January for BEST MONTH EVER is that if the doctors are correct, this month will see the birth of my daughter. (January saw the birth of my son...man...our kids just pick the worst weather months possible to be born in.).

Im with Ike
2 of my grand kids were born in Aug.

PDXsooner
8/6/2010, 08:02 PM
First of all, it's your last chance to sit in a hammock and sip lemonade, it's when college football talk starts heating up, it's normally my last vacation of the year...not to mention it's my birthday. I would argue it's the BEST month.

JohnnyMack
8/6/2010, 08:38 PM
First of all, it's your last chance to sit in a hammock and sip lemonade, it's when college football talk starts heating up, it's normally my last vacation of the year...not to mention it's my birthday. I would argue it's the BEST month.

Portland in August is a tad nicer than Oklahoma in August.

BillyBall
8/7/2010, 08:57 AM
In Chicago, this is absolutely the truth.

And yes, I live in Chicago. Did I ever mention that it is bitter ****ing cold in February?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/7/2010, 09:18 AM
any month that I make more than I spend is a good month...any month that I spend more than I make is a bad month

Lott's Bandana
8/7/2010, 09:18 AM
August used to be great. No school. Birthday.

Now I hate it to my soul.

Not like whorn-hate, but dayum close.

1890MilesToNorman
8/7/2010, 09:20 AM
Try Houston in August! I spent a year there one August. August is now one of my favorites but I'm in Maine now. :D

Not to rub it in but I think I will, 74 today with low humidity.

Ike
8/7/2010, 09:54 AM
And yes, I live in Chicago. Did I ever mention that it is bitter ****ing cold in February?

I lived there for 7 years...hated February.

StormySooner-IN
8/7/2010, 11:27 AM
Ehh. I like the heat. July is usually worse here. August is when school starts.
But there is football. I might go with February...because, yeah.

GottaHavePride
8/7/2010, 03:26 PM
Hell, I've been in Buffalo, NY in February. I'll take that over August in Oklahoma.

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2010, 03:33 PM
Hell, I've been in Buffalo, NY in February. I'll take that over August in Oklahoma.

There are yankees in Buffalo though.

GottaHavePride
8/7/2010, 03:44 PM
SicEm, by your definitions there are yankees in Alabama.

SicEmBaylor
8/7/2010, 04:10 PM
SicEm, by your definitions there are yankees in Alabama.

That's somewhat true. Interestingly, there is a county in Alabama (I want to say Cullman) that seceded from the state of Alabama when the state of Alabama seceded from the Union. They were unionists who remained loyal to the United States.

What's somewhat interesting is that traditionally that particular county has always been solidly Republican since the days of Lincoln while all of the surrounding secessionist counties were traditionally Democrat. Most of that has changed though since those surrounding counties are now reliably Republican also.

They have a little amphitheater there where they put on a play telling the history of the county and why it seceded from Alabama.

AZSOONER
8/7/2010, 04:13 PM
I'd almost say yes, but it's the light at the end of the tunnel. Nice weather ahead and football around the corner. That's enough to beat out February.

Chuck Bao
8/7/2010, 04:58 PM
I like August because as a kid I started back to school and would get a break from the farm work. And, I liked getting new clothes. It was the only time of the year that my mom took me on a shopping spree. Yeah, I would choose only t-shirts and blue jeans and a new pair of sneakers, but it made me feel real good.

For the record, I hate shopping very much and that is lands away from that time I had so much money that I would go into those high-end designer shops and 5 very attractive women were fussing over me as I was there to buy a whole new wardrobe. But, it doesn't even start to compare to the feeling of self-worth on those shopping trips with my mom when I was a kid and knew that our budget was very limited.

Besides that and the whole feeling of a break from the farm work and I did haul hay after school in many days in August even with the over-whelming summer heat. I remember being really stressed too! I had to find someone, really anyone, to help me because my summer crew was on the high school football team and they had to practice instead of helping me. I had forgotten that bit until I was reminded during my 30-year class reunion in May. I was a really, really horrible task master, but the high school football coaches were even bigger pricks in asking them if they wanted to haul hay for the rest of their lives.

Today, I love August because the start of football season is coming up next month.

On a side note, it is the start of the monsoon season in Bangkok and I love that rain.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/7/2010, 11:43 PM
July is the worst sports month, unless baseball is your favorite sport. But football-wise it is the deadest month of all.

What do I like, presently, about August? Fall is around the corner, my favorite time of the year. Football practice starts. My tomatoes are in high production. It was the mildest summer ever in the San Joaquin Valley, so the tomatoes are late this year. We've been getting great local strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apricots. So produce-wise, August beats the $hit out of february.

School starts in two weeks, so some people will soon be getting smarter.

royalfan5
8/8/2010, 01:00 AM
To be fair, part of my hate for August is due to the fact that my Dad and one Uncle died during August, and I got laid off during August one year as well.

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 09:53 AM
gets pretty hot in SJ Valley, doesn't it.

specially in august.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/9/2010, 10:30 AM
gets pretty hot in SJ Valley, doesn't it.

specially in august.

Especially in the southern Fresno-to-Bakerfield half. Fortunately, I live at the northern part where we get Delta breezes in the evening to cool us off - usually in the 60s at night.

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 11:25 AM
60s @ nite is only to dream of,until about mid-october.

here in dallas county we're not even getting into the upper 70s.

we did get a real nice (spotty) rain on fridy. over an inch @ our house, but DFW got only a trace.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/9/2010, 12:35 PM
60s @ nite is only to dream of,until about mid-october.

here in dallas county we're not even getting into the upper 70s.

we did get a real nice (spotty) rain on fridy. over an inch @ our house, but DFW got only a trace.

To let you know how mild it is, San Joaquin County's high/low today is 87/55.

SoonerAtKU
8/9/2010, 01:11 PM
Cullman

My Mom's entire family is from Cullman. I've been once, we had a reunion there in the 90's for a great-grandmother's birthday. To say that it is backwoodsy there is a slight against shantytowns and trailer parks everywhere.

Had fun, though. You would have liked it. It was an old plantation-style home that they all grew up in. Had slave quarters, but they never owned slaves.