PDA

View Full Version : Autographs commentary: Thank you Jenni!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/5/2010, 01:20 AM
What we have here is... a failure... to communicate. Now I don't like her commentary anymore-n-you-men... But that's what she wants...so she gets it...

Regarding all you jock-sniffing d-bags that chase college kids around for autographs, she couldn't be more correct.

I'd even say that some of you college dudes and dudettes that put YOUR CLASSMATES on such a ridiculous pedestal have serious priority issues.

Please... go forth, and enjoy it for what it is. By all means, grab a grade-schooler, take them to an event, and let them (only them, not you) meet their heroes.

But please, dear google, PLEASE!... Quit wrapping your tongues around their jockstraps and squeezing out every last yellow sweat stain for your "collection".

Ugh.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 02:23 AM
What we have here is... a failure... to communicate. Now I don't like her commentary anymore-n-you-men... But that's what she wants...so she gets it...

Regarding all you jock-sniffing d-bags that chase college kids around for autographs, she couldn't be more correct.

I find this amazing. I can understand, maybe, a 10-year-old kid asking for an autograph, but some of these people are adults. How pathetic to be a 40-year-old man asking for an autograph from a 19-year-old kid.

One thing I liked about my own kids is that they never did any of this. They are big Sooner fans, but they have never owned a poster of a player or asked for an autograph.

http://newsok.com/jenni-carlson-autographs-may-be-big-business-but-they-should-be-for-the-kids/article/3482419

As thousands of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State football fans gear up for the annual autograph sessions with their teams, I have to admit that I've never understood the whole autograph craze. I mean, randomly bumping into a star and asking for an autograph is one thing. That's evidence of a chance encounter. That's proof of a memorable story.

Like Jenni, I don't get it either. I gassed up Clint Eastwood's car all the time when I was a teenager and I gave Richard "Jaws" Kiel a ride once when his car broke down. I never asked for their autographs. WTF am I going to do with a piece of paper with a signature on it? Forge it on checks?

"If you're having a kids' day," one frustrated fan said, "call it a kids' day."

http://irldefender.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/crying-baby.jpg

rawlingsHOH
8/5/2010, 08:37 AM
One thing I liked about my own kids...

For some reason I'm finding this comment disturbing.

badger
8/5/2010, 09:00 AM
I have pursued Sooner autographs during my adult life, but I've never pursued them for myself.

One was for the biggest football fan I knew that was about to start his Texas teaching and football coaching career.

Another was for the father-in-law.

Another was for Father's Day for my dad.

I also did one for NP.

I haven't gone after autographs for a few years though. There is usually a big crowd (of kids and adults alike) and I'm usually the only girl regardless, heh.

Basically, the reason I've done it is because I'm willing and able. The people that I give these to would never do it themselves, so I do it for them and then give them as gifts.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 09:07 AM
The only time I pursued autos was during the 2006 red/white when my daughter turned one and I had a onesy autographed by the 2005 Sooners plus some extras for her 1st birthday...The players could tell obviously this wasnt for me so they would wade through the others to get to me to sign..I remember Lewis Baker signing and going to get others to come over and sign it...

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 09:28 AM
I have a lot of autographed stuff - but it's all been gifts, and most are from adults who played back in the day or coaches. No way in hell I'm gonna stand in 100 degree heat for 3 hours to get Ronnell Lewis (or any other players) sig. If my kids were little, and wanted to, I would. The kids do have a lot of stuff from Heupel, Tommie Harris, Dusty, Hybl, Jason, etc., but they got them on their own.

I've got a couple autos that are very important to me and I ain't embarrassed about at all. When I got my Master's at OU, I got a note from Switzer saying "Dean, congratulations on your degree. Barry Switzer" and a signed picture from Stoops saying "Congrats Dean! Bob Stoops." I've also got a small football with "Dean, thanks for all you do. Roy Williams."

A quick non-autograph moment/story. I was travelling somewhere in 1996, and was in the Phoenix airport. I walk up to the gate area, and there stands my most favorite football player of all time. Bart Starr. It was a couple days before the Super Bowl between Green Bay and New England (yes Favre beat Bledsoe that game).

I'm like a little kid, I mean here stands the hero of my youth. I watched him lead my Pack to victories in SBI and II. Starr to Carroll Dale. Starr to Boyd Dowler. Starr sneaking it in behind Jerry Kramer in the Ice Bowl. So, I go up and go "you're Bart Starr." He smiles and goes "yessir, I am." I go "I'm a lifelong Packer fan, and you're my favorite player of all time." He goes "thanks, I appreciate that." Then, unsolicited he goes "you heading to the Super Bowl?" I go "no, I wish. I'm heading (I don't remember where), but how do you think we're gonna do?" Here's where he slew me. Everything I read about him said he was soft spoken, never got wound up, very reverent, etc. As he gets all animated and excited his exact words were "we're gonna kick their ****ing asses up and down the field. They can't contain Favre, and our defense will knock their dicks in the dirt." I was shocked because I didn't expect it, but I also knew that my Pack was gonna win.

We chatted for a while longer, and as they call us to board I thought "here I am in the presence of my hero, and I didn't even get an autograph." I started to get a pen and some paper outta my briefcase and then thought "why? I just got a lifelong memory and WTF am I gonna do with a signed napkin or notepad anyhow?" Maybe if I had a Packer hat or shirt with me I'd have him sign it, but not a piece of paper.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2010, 09:39 AM
I would agree that this is meant for the kids #1, and for diehard fans a distant 2nd. I wouldn't wait in line to for a autograph. But, If they allow the opportunity for fans to come see their team and get things signed...well, isn't that the point for fans to come and get things signed? So, I don't see the problem with people going to get autographs. I'm sure they just want to see the players in person and maybe have a word with them.

If you spend anytime on campus you are bound to run into a player here and there. I never ask for a autograph. I just usually give them a friendly hello and go on my way. Like they say, you have to act like you've been there before. They are more likely to have a conversation with a normal person than a person that's overly obnoxious. Seriously, these players are 18-20 yr old kids.

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 09:46 AM
^^^THIS^^^

I would run into GK and Gresh on a pretty regular basis. Halzle and Gut too. Never once asked for any autographs from them. Others did, and you could see that it was embarassing/irritating for them. I saw Joey right after the '07 TTU game, told him "good game, man". And he smiled and said thanks and that was it. No need for a signed tshirt.

Hot Rod
8/5/2010, 10:57 AM
I agree. Tomorrow is all about my sons. They love their Sooners and are elementary school age, so seeing these guys in person is a highlight and talk with them about previous plays they remember. 2 years ago as the MTS Day, we were in the QB line and my son calls over to Gresham in the other line, and Gresham motions to him to throw his ball over for him to sign it. Thought that was pretty nice.

Yeah, we've seen Gut, Halzle, and good friends with DJ Wolfe and it's just a nice hello, how are ya.

badger
8/5/2010, 11:13 AM
To adults and kids pursuing autographs: Please say "thank you." Don't just push your way to the front, thrust your ball a player's/coach's face and run off to your next athlete/coach.

Sooner-N-KS
8/5/2010, 12:03 PM
I don't go to the autograph day, and I normally don't go after autographs. But I'm starting to want to if Jenni thinks I shouldn't.

badger
8/5/2010, 12:12 PM
I don't go to the autograph day, and I normally don't go after autographs. But I'm starting to want to if Jenni thinks I shouldn't.

Fellow Oklahoman sports columnist Berry Twammel also doesn't think you should visit this site, or any other message board. link here (http://www.thelostogle.com/2008/07/11/berry-tramel-is-a-fcktard/)

Bourbon St Sooner
8/5/2010, 12:24 PM
If Jenni Carlson and LL are against it, then that means you should go ahead and do it. I haven't gotten an autograph since I was 10 years old, but I'm thinking now I might just go down to training camp and get Drew Brees' autograph.

Sooner-N-KS
8/5/2010, 12:31 PM
Fellow Oklahoman sports columnist Berry Twammel also doesn't think you should visit this site, or any other message board. link here (http://www.thelostogle.com/2008/07/11/berry-tramel-is-a-fcktard/)

Wow, I'm driving the get away car. :P

Of course he should be our only source of information.

PalmBeachSooner
8/5/2010, 12:35 PM
I wish they made MTS day just a kids thing. No autographs for growed ups. They can't their autographs on eBay.

badger
8/5/2010, 12:37 PM
Wow, I'm driving the get away car. :P

:les:BULLFEATHERS![hairGel]

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 01:39 PM
I'd bet my left eye that Berry would need spellcheck to get hyperbole into a column.

starclassic tama
8/5/2010, 01:52 PM
a few weeks ago i was sitting in bison witches, and in walks mr. sam bradford with 2 friends. there was only a handful of people in the entire place, so i waited until after he ate and was about to leave and i asked him for a picture. i hated to be that guy, but i couldn't help it. he said legally he can't take pictures, but he was really nice, i shook his hand and told him good luck with training camp. i figure he didn't want a picture of him in a bar floating around before training camp... and no he wasn't drinking

i never understood the appeal with autographs, but pictures are pretty cool

gaylordfan1
8/5/2010, 01:53 PM
Whats the deal with Sam Bradford and LJ that Trammel is talking about? And what the HE77 is he talking about?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 01:57 PM
thats from a couple of years back when a dude from texas started a rumor about those guys that spread quickly..said they had been arrested for drug possession

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 01:57 PM
It was from a couple years ago. Some dumdum in Austin started a rumor that Sam and LJ had been busted for coke possession.

badger
8/5/2010, 02:04 PM
As long as I opened that can of worms (INADVERTENTLY!) again, here's the story:

Some idiot (emphasis on IDIOT) who happens to be a Nebraska fan known as Darth Husker (no, not making this up) thought it would be a fun, harmless prank to create a page that looked just like NewsOK's, with an actual Oklahoman reporter's name in the byline, that stated that Sam and Landry (who wasn't that widely known yet as the Stache master) were busted for selling drugs.

The texas connections you all are referring to are (a) Darth Husker is from Austin and (b) a texas (I think austin) radio station picked up the false, joke story as fact and reported it as "The Oklahoman reports..."

Lawsuit! Story was made up, it never happened. Did I mention Landry's dad is a lawyer? Did I also mention I love Landry and would never say anything bad about Landry or his mustache? Please don't sue :(

Read more here if you really care to open that can o' worms again. Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?tab=ou&subjectID=92&articleid=20080711_92_B1_spancl45788)

stoopified
8/5/2010, 02:54 PM
Jenni can kiss my crimson a$$.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 02:55 PM
If I was a famous celebrity, I am pretty sure I can handle signing autographs. (I find it weird, but okay.) Having people take their picture with me would put me over the edge. After a week, I would be wearing disguises.

The worst are the restaurant owners.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2010, 02:59 PM
Is that why you only put up random pics of girls as your avatar? Because you don't want people on the streets to recognize you and want a picture? Your posts are kinda a big deal you know. :D

47straight
8/5/2010, 04:25 PM
As long as I opened that can of worms (INADVERTENTLY!) again, here's the story:

Some idiot (emphasis on IDIOT) who happens to be a Nebraska fan known as Darth Husker (no, not making this up) thought it would be a fun, harmless prank to create a page that looked just like NewsOK's, with an actual Oklahoman reporter's name in the byline, that stated that Sam and Landry (who wasn't that widely known yet as the Stache master) were busted for selling drugs.

The texas connections you all are referring to are (a) Darth Husker is from Austin and (b) a texas (I think austin) radio station picked up the false, joke story as fact and reported it as "The Oklahoman reports..."

Lawsuit! Story was made up, it never happened. Did I mention Landry's dad is a lawyer? Did I also mention I love Landry and would never say anything bad about Landry or his mustache? Please don't sue :(

Read more here if you really care to open that can o' worms again. Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?tab=ou&subjectID=92&articleid=20080711_92_B1_spancl45788)

You're forgetting the most important Texas connections of all:

c) He was an employee of the University of Texas, and d) judging by the time of day, probably did it on the clock using university resources.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 05:18 PM
Is that why you only put up random pics of girls as your avatar? Because you don't want people on the streets to recognize you and want a picture? Your posts are kinda a big deal you know. :D

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/if

gaylordfan1
8/5/2010, 05:28 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/if

:gary:

Collier11
8/5/2010, 05:31 PM
No adult should be standing in line while there are kids waiting behind them, that is my only opinion on it.

the_ouskull
8/5/2010, 05:40 PM
No adult should be standing in line while there are kids waiting behind them, that is my only opinion on it.

You should never, ever, ever call that post again, 'cause you just nailed it.

The only time I ever went to one of the autograph sessions was to say "hey" to the players that I knew, and to make fun of them for being out in the heat while I was inside playing Madden.

the_ouskull

sooner n houston
8/5/2010, 06:21 PM
Is getting autographs at work allowed?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs059.snc3/14635_100438909983726_100000528515346_10285_781330 3_n.jpg

sooner n houston
8/5/2010, 06:25 PM
Or how about when you see some players after hours at football camp? Is that ok?
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs079.snc3/14635_100442453316705_100000528515346_10392_605696 7_n.jpg

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 06:27 PM
Is getting autographs at work allowed?

It's not illegal, if that is what you're asking. Pathetic? Yeah, probably.

sooner n houston
8/5/2010, 06:28 PM
Well call me pathetic then!

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 06:33 PM
You're pathetic.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 06:38 PM
Nothing wrong with autographs, I just dont think adults should be at fan fests butting in front of kids. It should be for kids only

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 01:09 AM
Nothing wrong with autographs, I just dont think adults should be at fan fests butting in front of kids. It should be for kids only

A fair summary... though not entirely revealing...

I will admit, after opening this little wound... that not only have I stood in line for an autograph... but paid for it as well.

Hypocrite... I am!

'Cept for one lil' ol' detail. I did it for my 6-year old son as a present. Personally, I could care less.

Now.. Do I think it is wrong to meet and shake hands with players you have appreciated? Absolutely not!

A chance meeting where you are not intruding on a meal and making a young man's or old-timy hero's life miserable, is it ok to take a phone shot of you with said athlete/former athlete and e-mail it to lifelong fan, Uncle Joe.... is that kind of ok. Eh.. IMO that is starting to get icky...

And, if you happen to bump into "that player" after practice and politely ask him to sign something for your favorite nephew, is that wrong? Mmmm, maybe, yes. Not always as long as you are really above board and are securing an autograph on a nerf football that you really are going to give to your nephew. But again... a little much.

This is a fine line argument.

But our modern TMZ culture seems to regularly practice crossing that line.

I'm tired of seeing it more often than not.

golfingsooner
8/6/2010, 01:16 AM
I'll be first in line. Crimson crocs, jean shorts, signed Boz jersey and all. See you all there.

BOOOOOMAH

Fraggle145
8/6/2010, 02:59 AM

Lemme say this... If I were so inspired to show up and get an autograph (and I have thought about it more than once) I wouldnt butt in front of kids, and if I was waiting in line and it came down between me and a kid for the final sig the kid would get it. But if it was the middle of the line and I waited my turn I see no harm in it.

Why is it wrong for adults to be inspired as if a child by something? Football takes me out of my everyday grind and thinking process and lets me feel young and inspired through others... Is it real? No. But does that make it bad that it makes me or anyone else (i.e., 85,000 others) happy?

Scott D
8/6/2010, 03:20 AM
I just hate the ******s that take a kid to something like that, then proceed to get all the autographs for themselves so they can turn around and sell them. The last time I walked up to someone to get an autograph was Al Noga when he was still at the University of Hawaii, and I was a high school kid on a tour of the school with a bunch of other kids from all over the state.

The time before that was when I got an autograph from an unnamed MLB player at a card show who complained a lot about the adults who were there to get autographs from him. Guy had no problem signing anything for kids, but he tried to see what the "parent" would do after he signed for a kid. There were a few who paid the kid for the item in question.

Scott D
8/6/2010, 03:21 AM
Also, does anyone have Jenni's double spaced opinion on book signings? ;)

Leroy Lizard
8/6/2010, 04:03 AM
http://newsok.com/jenni-carlson-autographs-may-be-big-business-but-they-should-be-for-the-kids/article/3482419

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 08:21 AM
Maybe if I had a Packer hat or shirt with me I'd have him sign it, but not a piece of paper.

The first step to recovery is admitting you're a Packer. I'm proud of you, Dean.

Now get to work on that apology list, and if you've made enough progress by the FSU game, I'll bring you something nice in PURPLE to help remind you to stay on that road to recovery.

:P

badger
8/6/2010, 08:25 AM
The first step to recovery is admitting you're a Packer. I'm proud of you, Dean.

Now get to work on that apology list, and if you've made enough progress by the FSU game, I'll bring you something nice in PURPLE to help remind you to stay on that road to recovery.

Nice knowing you kid.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 10:32 AM
Nice knowing you kid.

Heh.

I ain't skeered a no camouflage-onesie-with-a-moldy-slice-o'-swiss-hat-wearin'-pee-in-the-cup-whisky-bottle-chuckin'-fuuuuuudge PACKER!

Go Vikes!

:D

badger
8/6/2010, 10:35 AM
Heh.

I ain't skeered a no camouflage-onesie-with-a-moldy-slice-o'-swiss-hat-wearin'-pee-in-the-cup-whisky-bottle-chuckin'-fuuuuuudge PACKER!

Go Vikes!

:D

Now you're not just asking for a yellow/red card. You might just get beheaded.

Not nice knowing you, kid. I'm a Packer fan too :mad:

;)

:mad: But seriously, Vikings suck, everyone cept the Sooner alums.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 10:45 AM
Now you're not just asking for a yellow/red card. You might just get beheaded.

Not nice knowing you, kid. I'm a Packer fan too :mad:

;)

:mad: But seriously, Vikings suck, everyone cept the Sooner alums.

Absolutely suck... as in Jared Allen is gonna suck Airhead Rodgers liver out through his rib cage and serve it up with some fava beans and a nice chianti...f-f-f-f-f-f..

Say. How is that fat lump of crap Johnny Jolly. Bunch of "winners" you have there.

Oops. I spelled "whiners" wrong.

Suck my beer-soaked brat, badger. :D

badger
8/6/2010, 10:51 AM
Jared Allen
Don't have too much faith in a guy that cares more about his sack dance than actual sacks.

fat lump of crap Johnny Jolly.
No disagreement in that assessment. Never liked him, and he's suspended for the season, thank ya very much.

Suck my beer-soaked brat, badger. :D

Nah, you probably use Blatz or some other loser beer in Minnesota.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 11:06 AM
Nah, you probably use Blatz or some other loser beer in Minnesota.

Yes, if the only other option is that Leinies swill.

Hmmm... Leinie... whiny... they rhyme. Coincidence?

I think not.

So last time I crossed the border into Deliverance-ville, as I was pulling into a station to fuel up, some toothless rube was screaming at me to use my turn signal... which I was. So I asked the attendant if he could check it for me and he told me it was, "Working... not working... working... not working... working... not working"...

Maybe he was just distracted cleaning up all the deer scrape scattered all over the station lot. Can't believe they don't do a better job keeping up Madison.

badger
8/6/2010, 01:27 PM
:rolleyes: whatev. player comparisons is a poke thing and head-to-head comparisons is a whorn thing, but true football fans know that teams should ultimately be judged by how many championships they earn, so as soon as your purple dudes win ONE Super Bowl, let alone three, let alone the Pack's been winning championships before they were even called Super Bowls, bring the smack to me or Dean. It might be better to stick with Dean, because it must be embarrassing to get pwn3d by a little blond chick.

back to the topic at hand, looks like nobody listened to Jenni
http://www.tulsaworld.com//articleimages/2010/fans6.jpg
More photos here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100806_92_0_NORMAN220020)

Anyone go? It's ok, no need to feel embarrassed. We all know you were there to chaperone all the kids. Which lines were the popular ones this year?

47straight
8/6/2010, 02:18 PM
I just hate the ******s that take a kid to something like that, then proceed to get all the autographs for themselves so they can turn around and sell them. =

The time before that was when I got an autograph from an unnamed MLB player at a card show who complained a lot about the adults who were there to get autographs from him. Guy had no problem signing anything for kids, but he tried to see what the "parent" would do after he signed for a kid. There were a few who paid the kid for the item in question.

Exactly.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 02:21 PM
:rolleyes: whatev. player comparisons is a poke thing and head-to-head comparisons is a whorn thing, but true football fans know that teams should ultimately be judged by how many championships they earn, so as soon as your purple dudes win ONE Super Bowl, let alone three, let alone the Pack's been winning championships before they were even called Super Bowls, bring the smack to me or Dean. It might be better to stick with Dean, because it must be embarrassing to get pwn3d by a little blond chick.

back to the topic at hand, looks like nobody listened to Jenni
http://www.tulsaworld.com//articleimages/2010/fans6.jpg
More photos here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100806_92_0_NORMAN220020)

Anyone go? It's ok, no need to feel embarrassed. We all know you were there to chaperone all the kids. Which lines were the popular ones this year?

Heh. I grew up a Cowboys and Vikings fan in beautiful Ellis County Oklahoma... so I've lived both sides of that argument. My Cowboys half scoffs at your puny 3 rings. :D

And before you get too full of yourself, badg, you're just the latest in a long line of little chicks who've pwn3d me. In fact, they always seem to come out on top. *cough*

(Dean, you tell Amy I said that and I'll kill ya.)

Hot Rod
8/6/2010, 04:26 PM
This year, we didnt have many people that we haven't met, so we decided to go to the WR, LB, and Stoops line. I took both of my boys and they had game balls to be signed and thats all we brought. They had a good time, despite the heat, and had some good conversations with the players they knew and didn't know, so they're looking forward to the season.

Anyone on the way out take the fan poll? A guy was asking some questions about this upcoming season.

Collier11
8/6/2010, 04:36 PM
A fair summary... though not entirely revealing...

I will admit, after opening this little wound... that not only have I stood in line for an autograph... but paid for it as well.

Hypocrite... I am!

'Cept for one lil' ol' detail. I did it for my 6-year old son as a present. Personally, I could care less.

Now.. Do I think it is wrong to meet and shake hands with players you have appreciated? Absolutely not!

A chance meeting where you are not intruding on a meal and making a young man's or old-timy hero's life miserable, is it ok to take a phone shot of you with said athlete/former athlete and e-mail it to lifelong fan, Uncle Joe.... is that kind of ok. Eh.. IMO that is starting to get icky...

And, if you happen to bump into "that player" after practice and politely ask him to sign something for your favorite nephew, is that wrong? Mmmm, maybe, yes. Not always as long as you are really above board and are securing an autograph on a nerf football that you really are going to give to your nephew. But again... a little much.

This is a fine line argument.

But our modern TMZ culture seems to regularly practice crossing that line.

I'm tired of seeing it more often than not.

I have a Stoops, Calmus, and Clayton autograph, all were given to me as a gift and I love them.

Lemme say this... If I were so inspired to show up and get an autograph (and I have thought about it more than once) I wouldnt butt in front of kids, and if I was waiting in line and it came down between me and a kid for the final sig the kid would get it. But if it was the middle of the line and I waited my turn I see no harm in it.

Why is it wrong for adults to be inspired as if a child by something? Football takes me out of my everyday grind and thinking process and lets me feel young and inspired through others... Is it real? No. But does that make it bad that it makes me or anyone else (i.e., 85,000 others) happy?

My issue is that if some 30 year old man is standing in line, that is one less kid that gets one. They have a million ways to get autographs that dont involve taking the spot of a kid, memorabilia stores, donating to boys n girls club, big bros big sis, etc... Im not doggin ya, just MHO

SoonerBacker
8/6/2010, 04:54 PM
I have picked up some autographs in my life. Mostly when I was still a kid a long, long time ago! The ones more recent have been for friends. I just got a football autographed by Stoops for a Marine who is living in SoCal. He has a lot of OU stuff on display in his office, but none of it had autographs until now.

I've also gone to a few of these Meet The Sooners events and picked up autographs for frineds of mine who were deployed.

So, since I wasn't getting them for kids, does that make me evil for taking a kid's spot in line?

On another topic - I bet the poke fans don't have these kinds of discussions. Not enough stars for anyone to care and not enough fans to create the mass of humanity that OU sees every year.

badger
8/6/2010, 05:05 PM
On another topic - I bet the poke fans don't have these kinds of discussions. Not enough stars for anyone to care and not enough fans to create the mass of humanity that OU sees every year.

Funny you mention it - because their invisible athletic village is still invisible, they are not practicing in the afternoon. Instead, they're signing autographs for fans indoors, in air conditioned GIA -link here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20100806_93_B1_Starti414368)

I know it's a completely different discussion, but not having their indoor practice facility must KILL them during hot Oklahoma Julys and Augusts. Good thing the autograph pursuing fans will relieve them from the summer heat, amirite?

:mad: No, I am NOT right, because adults should be disallowed from pursuing autographs, even if it means the Pokes practice in 100 degree heat instead.

nativesooner
8/6/2010, 06:45 PM
I get autos from time to time but usually pay (which I don't mind doin). I can't say that I have a lot of the younger guys but I do have some of the older fellas. I wouldn't mind a kids only thing but then you'll have momma soandso whining to the media about how she drove all the way from Guymon for nothing. If a player is a star, he'll do a signing. It may cost an arm and a leg like Sam, but they'll usually do one or two.

Oh and Soonerboy-up-north, don't make me break out my (now) form fitting Sterling Sharpe jersey and come see you! lol!

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 09:10 PM
I have a Stoops, Calmus, and Clayton autograph, all were given to me as a gift and I love them.

Awesome. And there is the fine line disinction: You didn't chase down those athletes with your tongue hanging out begging for an autograph while those folks were in a middle of a dinner with their families.

At some point, perhaps even at an event such as Meet the Sooners Day, a friend/family member thought enough of you to get you a little rememberance. And note: They were doing it selflessly with no self-gratificaton or profit in mind.

You sure as heck don't need my approval... but this scenario is fine by me.

My mom knows JC Watts through her job. She gave me his autograph (as a little stocking-stuffer Christmas gift) on a 9.99 five-n-dime football knowing that he was probably my tie for favorite with Sims. Again... non-intrusive, no one pissing all over themselves for the opportunity to sniff a jock.

It really is the middle-aged-going-out-of-their-way types, for profit or self-gratification, that my rant was aimed at.

Like I said... fine line...

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2010, 09:14 PM
Oh and Soonerboy-up-north, don't make me break out my (now) form fitting Sterling Sharpe jersey and come see you! lol!

Elton, You just made me sad in my pants. I am very disappointed in you. :D

(C'mon man.. at least you could have said a Keith Jackson Packers Super Bowl jersey...;) )

Scott D
8/7/2010, 03:06 PM
Elton, You just made me sad in my pants. I am very disappointed in you. :D

(C'mon man.. at least you could have said a Keith Jackson Packers Super Bowl jersey...;) )

or old school George Cumby jersey ;)

oumartin
8/7/2010, 03:47 PM

So, now we know why soonerfans activity has taken a nosedive the past couple of years.

People dont' wanna drive the getaway car.