PDA

View Full Version : So I just got a wedding invitation...

pappy
8/4/2010, 08:58 PM
It's a wedding that I *have* to attend. Does anyone know what time the OU vs Texas game is? I really hope its at 11 or 11:30 cause the wedding is at 5:30.

Who schedules a wedding on the same day as OU-Texas? Honestly...

Jacie
8/4/2010, 09:05 PM
We covered this topic in-depth and the consensus was you have to come up with a valid excuse. The onset of illness, which kind and how to make it believable was discussed, is one way to get out of it.

I personally prefer to just be a rat bastid about it and tell the inconsiderate jerks I am not giving up an event I have waited AN ENTIRE YEAR to witness for the privilege of being one of 100 other guests at their ceremony. Don't worry, my wife would soften the blow, certainly not let me write what I really thinking on the RSVP thingie but you get the idea.

JLEW1818
8/4/2010, 09:11 PM
my guess is 11 A.M. again

should be announced this month

I have my brothers wedding in Colorado on Dec 4th .............

olevetonahill
8/4/2010, 09:14 PM
The Game has not been set yet
Id tell em to "**** off dip ****s "

No way in hell do these peeps love you , Ya know that cause they scheduled this future Devorce on a Fall Saturday let alone a OU / saxet weekend
**** em , Dont even give em an excuse , it should be obvious :eek:

bluedogok
8/4/2010, 09:17 PM
Must be OSU people.....I knew more than a few who scheduled big events on that day.

John Kochtoston
8/4/2010, 09:21 PM
The general consensus is it will be a 2:30 Okla. time kick, but there's nothing set in stone.

XingTheRubicon
8/4/2010, 09:27 PM
I'm with ya bro. My wife is due to have our boy the week after the RRS.

I've been to 18 straight OU/Texas games.

The streak ends in 2010.

never have sex in January.

stoopified
8/4/2010, 09:31 PM
It's a wedding that I *have* to attend. Does anyone know what time the OU vs Texas game is? I really hope its at 11 or 11:30 cause the wedding is at 5:30.

Who schedules a wedding on the same day as OU-Texas? Honestly...T.Boone State fans?

SoonerLB
8/4/2010, 09:33 PM
I would skip my OWN wedding to watch this or any other OU game ..... just sayin/! ;)

pappy
8/4/2010, 09:33 PM
2 season's ago I made my relatives push back what time my grandma's 80th bday party would start until 3:30 cause the OU-Texas game was at 11.

The bride went to Notre Dame that must have something to do with it.

auto
8/4/2010, 09:43 PM
You don't have to do shiat. I have skipped family, friends weddings, showers, birthday/anniversary parties and everything in between for lesser events than OU-TX.

Not even a doubt where I will be, just remember, the only thing you have to do is die.:D Don't be a puzzy, go to the game.:)

badger
8/4/2010, 09:53 PM
They don't have the game in the evening. You're safe :)

yukonsooner
8/4/2010, 10:00 PM
My aggie relatives have scheduled a wedding for Dec 4. & an aggie on the other side of the family has scheduled his annual Christmas party for Dec 4, Then a organization we are members of have scheduled their Christmas party for Dec 4. Did I mention I have my hotel reservations in Dallas for Dec 4. That's where my priorities lie.

GKeeper316
8/4/2010, 10:02 PM
RRS is always either 11 o'clock or 2:30 kickoff.

olevetonahill
8/4/2010, 10:04 PM
All MY Kin are SOONERS cause if any even thot about being aggots er whorns , they been disowned a long time ago

stoops the eternal pimp
8/4/2010, 10:07 PM
a couple in our church was getting married..right after season started, the bride realized she had scheduled the wedding on OU-texas saturday and had to send out a 2nd round of invitations since she changed it to the bye week

gaylordfan1
8/4/2010, 10:08 PM
The general consensus is it will be a 2:30 Okla. time kick, but there's nothing set in stone.

Don't they have until the week before to announce the game time. But I have also heard 2:30 if they can work it out. If not, 11:00 or 11:30.

olevetonahill
8/4/2010, 10:19 PM
a couple in our church was getting married..right after season started, the bride realized she had scheduled the wedding on OU-texas saturday and had to send out a 2nd round of invitations since she changed it to the bye week

Keeper
vBa8cjnfAFA

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 10:19 PM

Problem solved, have them do that.

prrriiide
8/4/2010, 11:00 PM
The only plausible reason to go would be if it was your daughter and you were walking her down the aisle. But if it were my daughter: 1) she'd know better, and 2) if'n she didn't she'd be told that she was officially cut out of my will.

If it's anyone else, you tell them that if they want you there, the game better be on a giant projection screen above the parson's head and there better be an awful lot of free booze and good eats before, during, and after.

freshchris05
8/5/2010, 12:35 AM
Your friends/relatives suck...

soonerboy_odanorth
8/5/2010, 12:50 AM
As mentioned, this is a well-covered topic...

Having said that...

My approach with my wife (when she was my girlfriend/fiance) was bold-faced honesty: I will never make you a permanent sports widow. I will gladly shop with you. After all, you put on pretty things that make you even more pretty than I already think you are. I like these sports x, y, and z...(mine were college football, baseball, and a little mix of NASCAR and Golf)... and I could care less about these x, y, and z.... (mine were basketball and hockey). But, if pressed, I can give up any number of these in the face of important family events... marriages... births... graduations, etc. ...

...Except for one thing...

College football Saturdays, when my Sooners are playing, are mine. They are not negotiable. If you cannot handle that, this isn't going to work.

I may... MAY... at my own discretion, give up an OU v. Iowa State game in lieu of your very very BFF's wedding... but no promises.

And if you or your friends schedule ANYTHING, including an unexpected funeral, on OU-Texas weekend...well... You're on your own.

I was up front about it. She accepted it. Problem solved.

In your case, if that horse has already left the barn... dumping her is a legitimate option... IMO.

olevetonahill
8/5/2010, 01:36 AM
As mentioned, this is a well-covered topic...

Having said that...

My approach with my wife (when she was my girlfriend/fiance) was bold-faced honesty: I will never make you a permanent sports widow. I will gladly shop with you. After all, you put on pretty things that make you even more pretty than I already think you are. I like these sports x, y, and z...(mine were college football, baseball, and a little mix of NASCAR and Golf)... and I could care less about these x, y, and z.... (mine were basketball and hockey). But, if pressed, I can give up any number of these in the face of important family events... marriages... births... graduations, etc. ...

...Except for one thing...

College football Saturdays, when my Sooners are playing, are mine. They are not negotiable. If you cannot handle that, this isn't going to work.

I may... MAY... at my own discretion, give up an OU v. Iowa State game in lieu of your very very BFF's wedding... but no promises.

And if you or your friends schedule ANYTHING, including an unexpected funeral, on OU-Texas weekend...well... You're on your own.

I was up front about it. She accepted it. Problem solved.

In your case, if that horse has already left the barn... dumping her is a legitimate option... IMO.

The funeral can be rescheduled . So that is not even worth mentioning .:rolleyes:

pappy
8/5/2010, 01:39 AM
I agree. Its my mom who is pressuring me into going after I found out its on the same day as ou-texas. As soon as I saw the date I immediately went to soonerscoop and checked the schedule. I'm hoping its an 11 or 11:30 game cause then I could do both...if its a 2:30 game then I plan to just go to the reception and act like I was at the wedding.

Oh and my girlfriend already knows about my OU priorities and so does my mom so I don't know what she is thinking trying to pressure me into missing the end of the OU-Texas game.

If it is at 2:30 and we're winning big in the 4th (like 3 touchdown lead) then I can leave and catch the wedding.

olevetonahill
8/5/2010, 02:10 AM
I agree. Its my mom who is pressuring me into going after I found out its on the same day as ou-texas. As soon as I saw the date I immediately went to soonerscoop and checked the schedule. I'm hoping its an 11 or 11:30 game cause then I could do both...if its a 2:30 game then I plan to just go to the reception and act like I was at the wedding.

Oh and my girlfriend already knows about my OU priorities and so does my mom so I don't know what she is thinking trying to pressure me into missing the end of the OU-Texas game.

If it is at 2:30 and we're winning big in the 4th (like 3 touchdown lead) then I can leave and catch the wedding.

Pussie !:eek:

Seamus
8/5/2010, 02:18 AM
The only plausible reason to go would be if it was your daughter and you were walking her down the aisle. But if it were my daughter: 1) she'd know better, and 2) if'n she didn't she'd be told that she was officially cut out of my will.

If it's anyone else, you tell them that if they want you there, the game better be on a giant projection screen above the parson's head and there better be an awful lot of free booze and good eats before, during, and after.

Effin' A, Cotton, effin' A.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 02:47 AM
I had this problem once. I had to go. So I taped the game. Since I was concerned that someone would spoil it for me, I told everyone that if anyone told me who won, I'd kill him. I also told them that I really meant it -- I'd kill him.

BHB 91
8/5/2010, 03:28 AM
I'll never forget back in the 1984 when my cousin's wife made wedding plans on a day of an OU game. She said she did not care if it was on a game day or not as it was her wedding.

Later that year, my dad and I watched OU defeat Baylor while the rest of the family was at a wedding. Man I miss my dad. :(

oudavid1
8/5/2010, 03:58 AM
im so glad im 18 and would never be in this situation....yet

auto
8/5/2010, 05:25 AM
I was supposed to be in of my good friends wedding, sorry I can't make it OU-TX. Cousin has wedding on OU/OSU, sorry can't make it. Holiday weekend, sorry can't make it. Weddings are for Feb-May.:D

If you do not nip this crap in the bud, you will find yourself at a mindless end of crap for the rest of your life. Set your priorities and be a man, don't come to a message board saying you have to do anything.:D

badger
8/5/2010, 09:03 AM
Your friends/relatives suck...

Everyone that ever visits here take note - weddings are for offseason. So are family reunions, birthday parties, and other festivities that you expect people to attend instead of Sooner football games :D

rawlingsHOH
8/5/2010, 09:07 AM

That's not a real invitation, in my opinion.

salth2o
8/5/2010, 09:21 AM

Dude...it's your Mom...she will forgive you. DO NOT give in or compromise and watch most of this years game. You are setting a dangerous precedent that could result in more expectations to miss future games in the coming years.

The Redhead completely understands, as others have posted, that OU/TX and OU vs. anyone supersedes anything else. She knows where I will be on any given Saturday September-January.

gaylordfan1
8/5/2010, 09:24 AM
My sister planned her wedding for the Kansas game 2008. I told her I would not attend her wedding.... EVEN if its just Kansas. After fighting tooth and nail she re-scheduled it for the following Sunday. I did miss her rehearsal dinner, I was at the game watching my wife cheer (it was the alumni cheer game), and getting my football fix. She had a problem with that, but got over it.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 12:50 PM
I cannot fathom that there are people who schedule ANYTHING for football season. People who do this can learn the hard way, but they can do it without me.

badger
8/5/2010, 01:25 PM
I cannot fathom that there are people who schedule ANYTHING for football season. People who do this can learn the hard way, but they can do it without me.

People might think "It's just football," but for anyone who has ever attended the University of Oklahoma or has a connection to OU, we all know that it's more than a game.

It's a time when family and friends meet up for the first time in months, possibly years (or just since last week) and it only happens during the fall. It's everyone's excuse to fly in to their home state from Texas, the coasts, overseas, wherever, and visit... and yes, watch football.

Therefore, don't take this wrong, brides to be, grooms to doom, but it's more than football, more than just a game.

It is basically like a wedding, where family and friends come together, except there's also a football game.

Hmmm... family and friends WITH football, or family and friends WITHOUT football...

:D

GottaHavePride
8/5/2010, 02:29 PM
The funeral can be rescheduled . So that is not even worth mentioning .:rolleyes:

Heh. Not like the deceased is in a rush or anything. ;)

fadada1
8/5/2010, 02:33 PM
this is, without a doubt, the most MORONIC thing that can ever be done. no offense to the ladies patrolling the soonerfans.com, but this HAD to be a woman's doing. if we've learned anything about anything, never start a land war in asia, and never schedule a wedding, on a saturday, in the south. STUPID. REALLY, REALLY STUPID>

Breadburner
8/5/2010, 02:50 PM
This has happened to me....I skipped the wedding and watched OU/Texas.....Yes they were pokes.....

47straight
8/5/2010, 04:27 PM
A Rice grad I know scheduled his wedding on OU-Texas weekend and was delighted that he had so many vendor options available.

BoomerSooner, esq.
8/5/2010, 04:28 PM
Haha this is VERY relevant to me as I am getting married on Saturday. My (soon to be) wife wanted a September wedding and I was very clear in my discussions that I would allow it as long as it was as 8 in the morning, our colors were crimson and cream and I could wear my Mark Clayton Jersey. Needless to say, we compromised on an August wedding in Florida.

So, no excuse is necessary as far as I am concerned. You'll do what is necessary

badger
8/5/2010, 04:35 PM
no offense to the ladies patrolling the soonerfans.com, but this HAD to be a woman's doing.

You're probably right, even though we're not all bad in this regard. :)

However, it takes two, so don't put all the blame on the chick. Like an earlier poster said, September weddings can be manipulated into August weddings with a Mark Clayton jersey :)

OUHOMER
8/5/2010, 06:15 PM
I failed, my son is getting married on the Air Force gameday..

Dont know where i went wrong

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 06:35 PM
I suggest to all Sooners that have Poke fans in their wedding invitations to host the wedding on the same day we play OSU. When they complain, just tell them that you don't consider the game any big deal.

That will **** them off to the living end.

BigDeezy
8/5/2010, 08:40 PM
Just tell them you can't attend because you plan on being sick that day.

Soonerfan88
8/5/2010, 08:40 PM
Seems this has been an issue since Pop Warner days. I always get a chuckle when a non-football fan gets so confused when the RSVPs come back declined. And the Dear Abby column is also a classic: http://www.uexpress.com/dearabby/?uc_full_date=20070220

bluedogok
8/5/2010, 08:54 PM
Everyone that ever visits here take note - weddings are for offseason. So are family reunions, birthday parties, and other festivities that you expect people to attend instead of Sooner football games :D
When we had ours, she scheduled it in June, she thought about October but after checking the schedule she couldn't find an open date that worked for either of us....She is also the one who suggested we get NFL Sunday Ticket and has pretty much agreed that all of our vacations have a sports event during the trip, including three baseball games on our honeymoon trip (KC, StL and a Cubs game).

A Rice grad I know scheduled his wedding on OU-Texas weekend and was delighted that he had so many vendor options available.
A former co-worker and her husband are big Whorn fans, he was on the swim team while they went to school there. They had their wedding on OU-Texas weekend, they had it in Dallas on the Friday night before and went to the game the following day....and yes, their reception had an open bar.