PDA

View Full Version : New to OKC, looking for great food

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 04:34 PM
I know there are going to be a lot of great places to eat, I've seen some places on Diners Drivins and Dives, I love BBQ, Seafood, Italian, and my wife LOVES Mexican food. We're moving to OKC this weekend and I'd like to get a list going of places I have to try. If someone post a place you like 2nd it for me, cause I know we all have different tastes and I'm going to start going to the places mentioned the most. Thanks for your opinions.

GKeeper316
8/4/2010, 04:38 PM
italian... best in the metro area is victoria's on campus corner in norman. seafood... im partial to cajun at trapper's. BBQ... hell take your pick. oklahoma BBQ is the best in the world!

Boomer.....
8/4/2010, 04:56 PM
I going to have to dissagree with Victoria's.

We've been loving us some Alfredo's lately. It's a messican joint in Moore. Tarahumarah's in Norman is also top notch but you'll most likely have to wait.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/4/2010, 08:27 PM
JAHNNIES CHAHCOE BWOILAH

oumartin
8/4/2010, 09:40 PM
Long John Silvers.

sooner59
8/4/2010, 09:45 PM
Ann's Chicken Fry House at NW 39th and Tulsa in OKC. Try the chicken fried steak. I had it for the first time today for lunch. Maybe the most tender chicken fried steak I have ever had. Big Truck Tacos is good if you like Mexican street-style tacos. Iron Star Urban BBQ is good. I have heard Leo's BBQ is good. Johnnies Charcoal Broiler is good for burgers. Toby Keith's is pretty good, but don't go on Friday or Saturday night unless you want to wait 2 hours. Lots of decent mexican food places and steak houses. Nic's Grill at 10th and Penn is awesome for burgers, but its tiny and busy....but worth it. However, like Ann's Chicken Fry House, Nic's is cash only. Pearl's is good also.

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 11:20 PM
I know about the BBQ, everytime I've been to visit I always hit a BBQ joint. Always satisfied. Vans is good.

picasso
8/4/2010, 11:25 PM
I heard Pat Jones on The Sports Animal once talking about being a coach and eatin' a players *** out.

I dunno if that helps or not...

picasso
8/4/2010, 11:27 PM
On a serious note, go to McNellie's and try the sweet potato fries.

TopDawg
8/4/2010, 11:40 PM
I'll back up the Victoria's entry...just make sure you're not in a hurry. They are notoriously slow...but it's my favorite Italian food around. Tarahumara's is the opposite. You might have to wait a while to get a table, but your food will be out before you finish folding up your menu.

I haven't been to Alfredo's, but I like Ricky's (is that right?) in that same part of Moore.

I'll also back up the Iron Star entry. Their BBQ sauce has a little kick to it. Get the mac & cheese. What's the other place that's owned by the Iron Star people? Cheevers? I've heard it's really good too.

Cafe Pranza is one of my favorite Italian spots in OKC.

Mama E's is soul food in OKC (and was featured on DD&D). Loved it.

I ate lunch one time at the BBQ joint just off I-35 kinda by Lincoln Park golf course. Anybody help me out with the name? It was pretty good. If I remember right, it was cafeteria-style dining. I'm always down for some Earl's.

VZD's has some of the best burgers in OKC.

I like Johnnie's, but when in Norman, I'll choose Boomerang over JCB.

The restaurants at Lake Hefner don't really blow me away, but it's a nice setting.

I used to really like Bourbon Street in Bricktown. It's still good, but I'm not crazy about it like I used to be.

Do you know about Hideaway? Solid pizza place.

TopDawg
8/4/2010, 11:45 PM
Also: Charleston's. Their prime rib and garlic mashed potatoes dinner is one of my top 5 dining out meals in Norman.

BisonWitches has one of my other faves (half a green turkey and a bowl of potato/bacon soup).

Staying in Norman, Legend's is also pretty well-liked.

silverwheels
8/4/2010, 11:50 PM
I'll also back up the Iron Star entry. Their BBQ sauce has a little kick to it. Get the mac & cheese. What's the other place that's owned by the Iron Star people? Cheevers? I've heard it's really good too.

That group (Good Egg) owns several restaurants in the area. Iron Starr, Cheevers, Pop's, Republic Gastropub, Market-C, and Red Prime.

TopDawg
8/4/2010, 11:51 PM
Pepe Delgado's is also pretty good in Norman. Mexican-ish (the experts tell me it's more like southern Latin American).

For Mexican food in the OKC metro area, Ted's is very popular, but I don't see what all the hub-bub is about. I mean, it's really good...but worth the wait? With so many other solid options, I only go there with my Ted's-obsessed family and friends (and there are quite a few of them).

Oh, and when you go to Ricky's...get the carne asada.

Chelino's is also a good choice for Mexican.

silverwheels
8/4/2010, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't even say that Ted's is "really" good.

TopDawg
8/4/2010, 11:54 PM
Othello's is an old-school Italian favorite on Campus Corner. It's been a while since I've been there, but you used to run pretty good odds on seeing The King when dining there. Patsy's is a spot on Lindsey that kinda broke off from Othello's.

TopDawg
8/4/2010, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't even say that Ted's is "really" good.

Heh. I originally put "pretty". For me it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "really good." Would that be just "good"?

silverwheels
8/4/2010, 11:57 PM
Heh. I originally put "pretty". For me it's somewhere between "pretty good" and "really good." Would that be just "good"?

That's where I put Ted's.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:02 AM
If you're up for a road trip, Eischen's in Okarche is an Oklahoma landmark. Jake's Rib in Chickasha is also pretty popular. And one of these days you HAVE to make it down to Meers (near Lawton). It was featured on Hamburger America (http://www.hamburgeramerica.com/ha_film.html). This guy traveled the country and chose 8 (I think) burger joints to feature in his film. Meers was one of them.

Harry Beanbag
8/5/2010, 12:04 AM
Is Johnny's still going in El Reno? That place was awesome the last time my grandpa took me there 25 years ago. I was eating a Johnny's onion fried burger when I found out Elvis was dead.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:06 AM
Oh, and Cattleman's...down in the stockyards...is one of those places you have to go to. I know some people who think it's overrated, but you should go see for yourself. I loved it.

Isn't there an old lunch-counter place on (or near) Santa Fe and a mile or so north of 23rd? I used to work around that area and went there once or twice. Can't remember the name of it, but it was tasty!

SCOUT
8/5/2010, 12:08 AM
Bob's Pig Shop in Pauls Valley. It is definitely worth the short trip.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:09 AM
Jo's Famous Pizza in Purcell ain't bad either.

And JJ's in Norman.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:12 AM
OK, I might just be really tired right now and making stuff up...but isn't there a place in OKC somewhere not too far from Remington Park that's an old house that they say is haunted? I've been there once and it was good.

County Line BBQ is pretty good too although I know some SF.comers that are pretty outspoken in their distaste for it.

Tulsa_Fireman
8/5/2010, 12:16 AM
http://areyoume.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/poo.jpg

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:17 AM
OK, I might just be really tired right now and making stuff up...but isn't there a place in OKC somewhere not too far from Remington Park that's an old house that they say is haunted? I've been there once and it was good.

No wonder I couldn't remember the name.
The Haunted House Restaurant (http://www.hauntedhouserestaurant.com/hh%20chnges%208%2019%2007.nxg)

sooner59
8/5/2010, 12:18 AM
Hideaway, Cheevers, Chelinos (bricktown on the patio), Cattleman's, Eischen's is supposed to be great, and MEERS! If you are up for a trip to the Lawton area, Meers is the best. Giant burgers quartered in a pie pan that are awesome, and definitely get the homemade peach cobbler and ice cream. That dessert reminded me of my grandma's cooking.

GKeeper316
8/5/2010, 12:33 AM
county line is the worst bbq ive ever had! brisket that tastes like lighter fluid is un american!

boycott county line!

GKeeper316
8/5/2010, 12:36 AM
o ya... for steak in okc, cattlemen's on agnew and kona ranch on meridian are both great.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:37 AM
By the way...it's been a good 10 years since I've eaten there (at County Line) so I'd listen to the more recent patrons. If their brisket really does taste like lighter fluid, I'd either avoid the restaurant or the brisket.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:38 AM
What's that place on the "corner" of I-235 and I-44?

sooner59
8/5/2010, 12:41 AM
Which corner? What kind of food is it. I live at the corner of 235 and 44 so maybe I can name it for ya. If you are talking about Bedlam BBQ on Lincoln and 50th, I loved their ribs. Falling apart and great smoky flavor. Ok, its bed-lam bbq. Damn thing is correcting me.

Oh yeah, and Bob's Pig Shop, Joe's Famous Pizza, and County Line have always been good when I went. Didn't get the brisket at County Line, though. Pulled pork is good and I love the bread.

OUstud
8/5/2010, 12:43 AM
Ray's Smokehouse BBQ in Norman, owned by former Sooner Darrol Ray. It's pretty new, and is one of my favorites.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 12:52 AM
I've been to Ray's twice. The first time was fantastic. The second time was meh. I need to go back for the tie-breaker.

And the place at 235 and 44 is actually at 44 and Western: Deep Fork Grill.

sooner59
8/5/2010, 12:58 AM
Yep, Deep Fork Grill is good. Expensive, but good. The service was great as well. My g/f and I even got complementary shrimp appetizers from the chef. I had a very positive experience there....just not positive to my wallet. :D

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 01:01 AM
Yeah, it's expensive. You can find some reasonably priced stuff, but it's mostly pretty pricey.

And, yes, the service was excellent. We ended up getting some complimentary item too.

Boomer.....
8/5/2010, 07:27 AM
I second Iron Starr on Campus for BBQ. It's more upscale bbq but everything is very good.

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 08:49 AM
1. Victoria's ain't italian. Not even close. It's a pasta joint. And it's pretty good.

2. For a sandwich, I recommend Penny Hill Subs on Hal Muldrow Dr. in Norman. Get the Bronx Bomber. Pastrami and egg salad with lettuce and tomatoes. If you want a decent cheese steak go to Jersey Mike's and get the Big Kahuna. I think there's a couple Jersey Mike's around.

3. Mexican. Chelino's, Alfredo's, Tarahumara, Mamaveca (Mexican and Peruvian), or Bravo's in Purcell.

4. Pizza. New York Pizza on campus corner, or Sandro's by Norman High. In Purcell, it's Jo's Pizza.

5. Italian. Othello's by campus corner. Get the veal parmagiana or the veal marsala. Get the tira misu for dessert.

6. Steak. Othello's again. Seriously, the best steak in Norman, and it won't break you. Cattleman's is also good as suggested by others. IMO, Mickey Mantle's, Red Prime, and those other Bricktown places are OK, but not worth the jack.

7. Chinese buffet. Panda Garden in Norman. Get the mongolian bbq.

8. Seafood. Nowhere. For whatever reason, the only seafood place in the ****ing state is Red Lobster. The Pearl's restaurants are OK (if they're still open anymore). I swear if someone would open up a real seafood joint in OKC it'd make a mint.

picasso
8/5/2010, 10:17 AM
Big yes on Dean's #5.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 11:46 AM
1. Victoria's ain't italian. Not even close. It's a pasta joint. And it's pretty good.

Dean, all pasta grows in Itly. Don't you know that?

2. For a sandwich, I recommend Penny Hill Subs on Hal Muldrow Dr. in Norman.

I've only been to Penny Hill once, but it was good. As far as the sandwich I got, I prefer the Mr. Goodscents version of it better, but I was blown away at the options on the menu at Penny Hill. I'm committed to going back to try lots of other stuff.

4. Pizza. New York Pizza on campus corner, or Sandro's by Norman High. In Purcell, it's Jo's Pizza.

NY Pizza is solid too.

Speaking of Norman High, anybody know anything about that new place that's going in where Carl's Jr. used to be? It's called "Pisa By The Slice" and apparently has the same kinda stuff you'd find at NY Pizza, but also gyros and other stuff.

6. Steak. Othello's again. Seriously, the best steak in Norman, and it won't break you. Cattleman's is also good as suggested by others. IMO, Mickey Mantle's, Red Prime, and those other Bricktown places are OK, but not worth the jack.

I wouldn't consider myself a steak connoisseur, but I'd agree with Dean's assessment of the steak at Othello's. And so would BlindCajun...who is more of a steak connoisseur than me.

7. Chinese buffet. Panda Garden in Norman. Get the mongolian bbq.

Always a popular choice.

Is Misal still open? That's a pretty hot spot too. It's not Chinese, of course, but when I think lunch buffets, I think Misal.

8. Seafood. Nowhere. For whatever reason, the only seafood place in the ****ing state is Red Lobster. The Pearl's restaurants are OK (if they're still open anymore). I swear if someone would open up a real seafood joint in OKC it'd make a mint.

Punkins! Or is that more like Lakefood?

kbsooner21
8/5/2010, 11:48 AM
Must have never been to Fish City in Edmond Dean :)

Big Truck Tacos is one of my newly discovered favorites.

Red Rock on Hefner Lake is top notch for me.

Chelino's is good Mexican food.

Hobby's Hoagies for a sandwich in Edmond.

Nic's has been metioned for burgers and it's pretty dang good.

sooner59
8/5/2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah Dean, the original Pearls is now located on N. Western in OKC. It is loaded with seafood. You also have Crabtown in Bricktown, but its a different style of meal.

Are they ever going to finish that place by Chili's in Norman by the water? It is supposed to become a seafood joint. But they have been working on it for like 5 years and it will probably be 2 more years before its done.

TopDawg
8/5/2010, 01:17 PM
I also like Zio's for an Italian option.

kbsooner21
8/5/2010, 02:04 PM
I also like Zio's for an Italian option.

Yes, an excellent choice!

btk108
8/5/2010, 06:29 PM
Italian? Primos in Yukon. Mexican? that Tarantula place in Norman

TopDawg
8/6/2010, 11:07 AM
Have any of y'all been to Krebs? There are 2 or 3 restaurants that are fairly well-known down there. Anybody know the names? I've been to one of them and it was good, but not nearly as good as the hype had led me to expect.

AZSOONER
8/7/2010, 04:15 PM
Have any of y'all been to Krebs? There are 2 or 3 restaurants that are fairly well-known down there. Anybody know the names? I've been to one of them and it was good, but not nearly as good as the hype had led me to expect.

It's funny you say that, I'm new here, but I have family there and yes the Italian place you're speaking of is pretty good. Worth driving 2 hours? No, but when you're there already, best around.

GottaHavePride
8/7/2010, 05:39 PM
Just saw this thread.

Speaking of Norman High, anybody know anything about that new place that's going in where Carl's Jr. used to be? It's called "Pisa By The Slice" and apparently has the same kinda stuff you'd find at NY Pizza, but also gyros and other stuff.

All I know is it used to be half of the former Conoco out at east 24th and Robinson. I never ate there - assumed it was just crappy gas station food, but if they're moving into bigger digs they must be semi-legit.

Is Misal still open? That's a pretty hot spot too. It's not Chinese, of course, but when I think lunch buffets, I think Misal.

Hell freaking yes. Misal is awesome Indian food. Himalaya is also pretty dang good (for slightly cheaper IIRC). If you want better than that you have to drive up to Gopuram Taste of India in OKC.

Good burgers: I freakin' love J-Pats in Norman. People I know rave about the Service Station but I think it's over-hyped.

How are all you people talking about Iron Starr Urban BBQ? Everyone I know that has tried it says it's crap and not worth the money. I'll stick with Van's (especially since Harv's is no longer over by the bowling alley on east Lindsey.)

Seafood: I have heard from reliable friends of mine that Blu (in Norman) actually does pretty good seafood. I haven't tried it myself, though.

Are they ever going to finish that place by Chili's in Norman by the water? It is supposed to become a seafood joint. But they have been working on it for like 5 years and it will probably be 2 more years before its done.

They've been at it more like 10 years, actually. Apparently the guy that owns it is a lunatic. From what I hear, he gets a bunch of investors on board, but takes so long to do anything they all bail out before anything happens. Then a couple years later he rounds up a NEW batch of investors, but he's completely changed the concept and starts over from scratch. Lather, rinse, repeat.

OUstud
8/7/2010, 08:11 PM
Must have never been to Fish City in Edmond Dean :)

Big Truck Tacos is one of my newly discovered favorites.

Red Rock on Hefner Lake is top notch for me.

Chelino's is good Mexican food.

Hobby's Hoagies for a sandwich in Edmond.

Nic's has been metioned for burgers and it's pretty dang good.

Fish City's really good. As is Nic's...

SoonerKnight
8/9/2010, 12:49 AM
Nino's is a good tex-mex restraunt..... don't know how good it is these days but I know it used to be really popular...

Boomer.....
8/9/2010, 07:59 AM
They've been at it more like 10 years, actually. Apparently the guy that owns it is a lunatic. From what I hear, he gets a bunch of investors on board, but takes so long to do anything they all bail out before anything happens. Then a couple years later he rounds up a NEW batch of investors, but he's completely changed the concept and starts over from scratch. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Is it not Hal Smith?

sooneron
8/9/2010, 09:45 AM

THIS. It's good, but it seems that a lot of okies are big on it, thus, not too knowledgeable about dago food.

Sushi Neko for "seafood"
Othello's for some Italian and steak
RedPrime for steak and if you're in the mood for hip over the top atmosphere
Tarahumara for mexican
Legend's is usually a safe bet. Esp for brunch

soonerborn30
8/9/2010, 10:43 AM
Pisa By the Slice is great. They have a Mediterranean pizza that is awesome if you like that kind of thing. Another pizza joint that's really good is Hideaway Pizza on Campus.

I agree completely with Dean on a lot of those.

Mexican - Tarahumara and Chelino's

Italian - Othello's

Steak - Othello's is good, but I really like Texas Roadhouse. I know it's a chain and all that, but for the money you can't beat the flavor.

Burgers - I recently had the best burger ever at Republic in NW OKC over next to Chesapeake. It's called the Republic Burger (clever name, huh?). It had a fried egg, bleu cheez crumbles, etc. So delicious.

BBQ - I didn't see anybody mention it, but Swadley's is a pretty good option.

If you're a sushi eater, there's actually a great place called In The Raw. There's one on Campus Corner next to Iron Starr BBQ, and there's one in Bricktown next to the theater, above Redpin bowling alley.

Seafood - Crabtown in Bricktown is about as good as Oklahoma seafood is going to get.

Hope that helps!

sooner59
8/9/2010, 11:33 AM
Saii on north May is one of my favorites for sushi in addition to In The Raw. Saii is cool because of the ambiance, and the food is great. The volcano chicken hot pot is awesome, and the Heaven Roll basically speaks for itself.

Boomer.....
8/9/2010, 11:45 AM
"O" is another great sushi/asian restaurant in Norman. Very cool atmosphere and very good food.

TopDawg
8/9/2010, 12:49 PM
Good burgers: I freakin' love J-Pats in Norman. People I know rave about the Service Station but I think it's over-hyped.

J-Pats is good. Also, Sooner Dairy Lunch for burgers.

I like the Service Station, but can see how it would be over-hyped. I usually get a sandwich instead of a burger.

How are all you people talking about Iron Starr Urban BBQ? Everyone I know that has tried it says it's crap and not worth the money. I'll stick with Van's (especially since Harv's is no longer over by the bowling alley on east Lindsey.)

I like it more for the sides than for the BBQ. When I'm in the mood for BBQ...ya know, good ol BBQ...Iron Starr isn't near the top of my list. But I still like it a lot.

saucysoonergal
8/9/2010, 12:59 PM
Where can you some good CDIAB I would like to know?!?!

TopDawg
8/9/2010, 01:40 PM
YES!

Your timing is impeccable. I was just talking about CDIAB 20 minutes ago and thought "I need to go mention it on SF.com."

It's only the best meal IAB ever.

C&CDean
8/9/2010, 01:52 PM
Ah CDIAB memories...

I'll tell you who has one of the best burgers in Norman. Abners (McNellies). Especially on Wednesday nights when they're $3 - which includes pub fries.

Me and momma were in there Saturday night and they had the blue cheese burger on special. She got that, and I got a salad. She was doing the old "MMMM, AHHHH" thing and I go "what?" She goes "this burger is ****ing awesome!" So I tried it. She was right. I've tasted her burger there 4-5 times (with different cheeses, etc. NOT fur) and they've always been very good. 1/2 pounder too.

NormanPride
8/9/2010, 02:11 PM
Isn't there an In the Raw in OKC and Norman now? Good stuff.

Boomer.....
8/9/2010, 02:17 PM
Yeah. Campus and Bricktown.

TopDawg
8/9/2010, 03:13 PM
I'll tell you who has one of the best burgers in Norman. Abners (McNellies). Especially on Wednesday nights when they're $3 - which includes pub fries.

Haven't been there, but I can confirm that it's a popular choice with the students I've talked to.

Sooner04
8/9/2010, 03:15 PM
YES!

Your timing is impeccable. I was just talking about CDIAB 20 minutes ago and thought "I need to go mention it on SF.com."

It's only the best meal IAB ever.
RUBBISH!

saucysoonergal
8/9/2010, 03:15 PM
giab is crap.

Sooner04
8/9/2010, 04:02 PM
Went to a pizza joint down here last night in Ardmore and they were out of Thousand Island. BALDERDASH! How can you be out of Thousand Island? So I crafted GIAB with some greek dressing that featured some feta cheese.

Holy taste explosion, Batman! Now I know what Newton felt like when that apple landed on his head! Talk about providence tapping you on the shoulder at a critical moment in time!

TopDawg
8/9/2010, 04:14 PM
Talking about GIAB is what led to the CDIAB conversation earlier.

GIAB is good, but CDIAB is great.

Harry Beanbag
8/9/2010, 07:10 PM
Is CDIAB better than Burgerpipe?

Breadburner
8/9/2010, 07:28 PM
The Carraige House in OKC....

SOONER44EVER
8/9/2010, 09:16 PM
Burgers - Nic's
Seafood - Pearl's
BBQ - BBQ Chop Shop
Italian - Papa Dios

sooner59
8/9/2010, 11:17 PM
J-Pats is good. Also, Sooner Dairy Lunch for burgers.

I like the Service Station, but can see how it would be over-hyped. I usually get a sandwich instead of a burger.

I like it more for the sides than for the BBQ. When I'm in the mood for BBQ...ya know, good ol BBQ...Iron Starr isn't near the top of my list. But I still like it a lot.

Same here. Not my favorite bbq dishes, but love the sides and different menu items. I have only ordered a salad as my entree once, and it was the tenderloin wedge salad there. Awesome. Also, the apricot-serrano quail breast appetizer is legit.

GottaHavePride
8/9/2010, 11:18 PM
Is it not Hal Smith?

Not as far as I know. The people telling me this work for Hal, and were not implying that he was the owner.