PDA

View Full Version : I don't know that I've really cheered for another team's player

stoops the eternal pimp
8/4/2010, 04:34 PM
But I am definitely going to be pulling for Mark Herzlich this season.

From USAToday

GREENSBORO, N.C. —Boston College defensive coordinator Bill McGovern was on a recruiting trip in May 2009 when he received a phone call from the father of Mark Herzlich, the reigning Atlantic Coast Conference defensive player of the year.
The good news came first: Doctors had figured out what had been causing the junior linebacker's lingering leg pain. Then came the bad news: Herzlich had cancer, a bone tumor called Ewing's sarcoma.

"I was so stunned I literally almost crashed my car," McGovern recalled. "I didn't want to believe it. Maybe two hours later Mark called me … He said it was a shock but that he was going to beat it. He already had his mind set on how he was going to get squared away and go forward."

Fourteen months later Herzlich has done all of that and more. Speaking at the ACC's annual football media gathering Sunday, he could not disguise his enthusiasm.

"I have almost all my hair again, but it's actually straighter," Herzlich said with a big smile, running his hands through his curly mane. "It's so great to be back."

Herzlich was in constant motion during the player's luncheon before media interviews Sunday, moving from table to table to introduce himself to other ACC players assembled for the summit.

"He was just so excited to be here," said Wake Forest center Russell Nenon. "I've had a family issue with cancer as well, and I have so much respect for what he's done. No one really knows what he's been through. But anyone who's played against him knows what a terrific linebacker he is. It's an honor to play against him."

Herzlich underwent seven months of chemotherapy and five weeks of radiation. He now has a titanium rod running the length of his lower leg. The hardest part was the nausea caused by the chemo.

"It makes everything taste bad, so I caked everything in Frank's RedHot sauce," Herzlich said. "Everything I ate was just loaded with hot sauce."

Herzlich was a three-sport star (football, basketball and lacrosse) at Conestoga High in Wayne, Pa.. He focused on football after being challenged by his father, Sandy, during his freshman season to play the sport with more passion and commitment or give it up.

Herzlich started twice as a freshman at Boston College, started all 14 games as a sophomore, and became a player of national consequence after a junior season in which he led BC with 110 tackles and six interceptions, returning two for touchdowns.

Then came the diagnosis of cancer after BC's spring game.

"I'd had the cancer since January of that year, I just didn't know it," Herzlich said.

The survival rate for Ewing's sarcoma is around 70%. But doctors told Herzlich football would no longer be an option.

"I wasn't overly religious before, but I began praying every day that I would be cured of cancer and that I could play football again," Herzlich said. "That's what I love most."

Herzlich (6-4, 238 pounds) has regained his strength and been cleared by BC's medical staff to play. The question that remains is what happens when he begins full-contact drills next month.

"Hitting is the best part about what I do, and I have no anxiety about that," Herzlich said. "I have to be physical and angry when I play.

"All the tests have been good, and I'm the best judge of my own body. Getting back, whether I'm ready to hit or ready to run full speed, has always been on my terms. Well, I'm ready."

Count McGovern among the believers.

"Whatever Mark says he's going to do, he's going to do," he said. "He's one of those guys you never bet against."

fwsooner22
8/4/2010, 04:37 PM
Wow....wow. I am on board too. Thanks for that STEP.

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 04:37 PM
Who? I post on these boards, not read em. ;)

SunnySooner
8/4/2010, 07:26 PM
I've been following this story a little as well--seems like UVA, along with some other ACC schools, raised some pretty serious cash for him for medical expenses and also to donate in his honor to a foundation that is working with college athletes with rare diseases (in this case, Ewing's sarcoma) to raise awareness and funds for research, etc.

Herzlich's cancer has a 70% cure rate, but docs told him his football days were over. Guess they don't know everything, huh? ;) Go Mark, hope he has a great year.

oudavid1
8/5/2010, 04:05 AM
Good Luck Mark, though im sure you dont need or want it

BermudaSooner
8/5/2010, 01:34 PM
I've been following this story a little as well--seems like UVA, along with some other ACC schools, raised some pretty serious cash for him for medical expenses and also to donate in his honor to a foundation that is working with college athletes with rare diseases (in this case, Ewing's sarcoma) to raise awareness and funds for research, etc.

Herzlich's cancer has a 70% cure rate, but docs told him his football days were over. Guess they don't know everything, huh? ;) Go Mark, hope he has a great year.

Just wait until the NCAA declares him ineligible.

SoonerBacker
8/5/2010, 02:09 PM
Love these kind of wins in life! I'll be pulling for him, for sure!

stoops the eternal pimp
9/7/2010, 09:26 AM
Update: Herzlich had 5 tackles playing part time as he had missed part of summer ball because of a stress fracture in his right foot and still a little out of football shape...

A 10 year old boy who suffers from the same type of cancer sang the NA before the game and with Herzlich leading the team onto the field...

Chuck Bao
9/7/2010, 10:50 AM
Herzlich is an inspiration. And as a college football fan, I gotta love that determination, drive and competitive spirit to return from battling cancer to the game without expecting a big pay-off. That's love of the game and I gotta return it. Thanks for posting Herzlich's story. He has a fan here too!

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 08:48 AM
Update on Herzlich:

Through 8 games, he has 35 tackles and 2 INTs...all I can say is wow everytime I watch him...Even though BC stinks this year, he is out there playing hard

olevetonahill
11/5/2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks fer the update STEP, I missed this the 1st time, But will try to watch the next game .
Go Mark

kbsooner21
11/5/2010, 09:49 AM
Update on Herzlich:

Through 8 games, he has 35 tackles and 2 INTs...all I can say is wow everytime I watch him...Even though BC stinks this year, he is out there playing hard

I agree. About the only good thing BC has going for them this year.