PDA

View Full Version : Signature Song Series #3 - The Eagles

Lott's Bandana
8/4/2010, 12:11 PM
After two UK bands, time to go a little Americana...

I'm old. I say that because for me, "Desperado" is their signature song.

Perhaps some will choose "Hotel California", "Already Gone"?

Frozen Sooner
8/4/2010, 12:16 PM
Take it Easy

yermom
8/4/2010, 12:19 PM
Hotel California

i was just in Winslow, Arizona like a week ago though :D

royalfan5
8/4/2010, 12:20 PM
For whatever reason, Life in the Fastlane always jumps into my head first.

Boomer.....
8/4/2010, 12:55 PM
Definitely Hotel California.

C&CDean
8/4/2010, 01:30 PM
Tequila Sunrise

Lott's Bandana
8/4/2010, 11:47 PM
Tequila Sunrise

^^^old, like me^^^

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2010, 11:57 PM
Take it Easy

Concur. This is also the only Eagles song I can stand to listen to.

Harry Beanbag
8/5/2010, 12:02 AM
Take it Easy. No question about it.

ndpruitt03
8/5/2010, 12:21 AM
For rock and roll Life in the Fast Lane or Teenage Jail
For the country side New Kid in Town or Lyin' Eyes

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2010, 12:32 AM
Take it Easy

Concur. This is also the only Eagles song I can stand to listen to.

Take it Easy. No question about it.

Jesus. Someone call the press.

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2010, 01:26 AM
Anything by the James Gang.

Oh...Wait.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
8/5/2010, 02:19 AM
I only really liked "Take it to the Limit" from the Eagles' early days. The Hotel California album had some of their better stuff. For me, it was a big improvement in their material.

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 03:25 PM
Take it Easy. I can't deal with Hotel California. It's bad enough when the actual band is playing it on the radio, it's just short of torture when you're a karaoke DJ and some drunk idiot decides to belt it out. Ugh.

stoopified
8/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Journey of the Wizard

C&CDean
8/5/2010, 04:26 PM
My favorite Eagles song is probably 7-Bridges Road.

King Crimson
8/5/2010, 04:35 PM
My favorite Eagles song is probably 7-Bridges Road.

written by Steve Young, a sort of lesser known member of the "Outlaws" movement that was typified by Willie and Waylon. The song refers to the road one travels to see the grave of Hank Williams outside Montgomery, Alabama.

Take it Easy is a milque-toast Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros/Townes Van Zandt ripoff.

hehe. Way to go Glen Frey!

One of THese Nights is my choice. but, i take the Dude's perspective on this one...or the James Gang.

stoopified
8/5/2010, 07:47 PM
Actually I think the defining song and album for the Eagles IS Hotel California.When I went to the concert at Cowboy Stadium on July 3,1994 during the HELL FREEZES OVER tour HC was the first song played.All the people around us were trying to guess what it would be,my guess was HC.Simply put IMHO HC put the Eagles at the top of American bands of their day(and IMHO all time).

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 08:10 PM
What's at the end of this movie.
http://www.cyber-cinema.com/reprint/warriors.jpg

8/5/2010, 08:15 PM
#1 HC put the Eagles at the top of American bands of their day(and #2 IMHO all time).#1 Maybe them or Fleetwood Mac #2 The Doors, OF COURSE

ndpruitt03
8/5/2010, 09:14 PM
#1 Maybe them or Fleetwood Mac #2 The Doors, OF COURSE

Fleetwood Mac started out as a British band and the drummer and the namesake of the band is British. I think the best classic rock american band was the little old band from Texas. ZZ Top. But that's just my opinion.

8/6/2010, 12:26 AM
Fleetwood Mac started out as a British band and the drummer and the namesake of the band is British. I think the best classic rock american band was the little old band from Texas. ZZ Top. But that's just my opinion.I stand corrected. Stevie Nicks threw me off. Maybe the Iggles were the best famous American band at the time of their apex, mid-late '70's. Overall, I think I prefer the Jefferson Airplane/Starship(with Grace Slick) to all of them, though, even over the Doors.

SunnySooner
8/6/2010, 08:56 AM
I love Seven Bridges Road as well, agree HC is their "signature". I went to the "Hell Freezes Over" in Hawaii, Aloha stadium, and it was also the first song and we were all just floored, they sounded great--no opening act. It was Glen Frey's birthday, so we all sang him "Happy Birthday". Remains one of the most fun concerts because Hawaiians LOVE to sing, and so the whole stadium was just rocking along on every song. I was only about 23 at the time, so they were a little ahead of my day, but I still knew all the songs, they played for like 4 hours, I had waaayyyyy too much fun.

When my girl was about 8 or 9 months old, though, only Seven Bridges Road would calm her when she was fussy. She could be screaming her head off and I'd belt out "Theeeeerrrreee are staaaarrrrss in the souuuuutthern skyyyyy," and she'd instantly shut up and listen. Babies are weird.

Lott's Bandana
8/6/2010, 09:16 AM
When my girl was about 8 or 9 months old, though, only Seven Bridges Road would calm her when she was fussy. She could be screaming her head off and I'd belt out "Theeeeerrrreee are staaaarrrrss in the souuuuutthern skyyyyy," and she'd instantly shut up and listen. Babies are weird.

Spek.

C&CDean
8/6/2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, but did she sing it in 4-part harmony? HMMMM???

Howzit
8/6/2010, 09:59 AM
Take it Easy is a milque-toast Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Bros/Townes Van Zandt ripoff.

Take It Easy was originally a Jackson Browne song that Fey elbowed his way in on. Browne's version on For Every Man is orderos of magnitude better and features Sneaky Pete Kleinow on pedal steel on the segue to Our Lady of the Well.

On a bus trip back from a swim meet (that Lott's Bandana was on, I'm sure) we all fell asleep with the album (and by album I mean 8-track) One of These Nights playing. It looped over and over and through osmosis I came to hate The Eagles.

I guess the closest to my favorite might be Journey of the Sorcerer.

Lott's Bandana
8/7/2010, 01:52 PM
Take It Easy was originally a Jackson Browne song that Fey elbowed his way in on. Browne's version on For Every Man is orderos of magnitude better and features Sneaky Pete Kleinow on pedal steel on the segue to Our Lady of the Well.

On a bus trip back from a swim meet (that Lott's Bandana was on, I'm sure) we all fell asleep with the album (and by album I mean 8-track) One of These Nights playing. It looped over and over and through osmosis I came to hate The Eagles.

I guess the closest to my favorite might be Journey of the Sorcerer.

I absolutely remember that bus trip and doing the "countdown" to Take It To The Limit over and over. The Wyatt's were obsessed with the album.

I dislike the Eagles partly because of that as well...but I recognize their significance.

stoopified
8/7/2010, 04:18 PM
What's at the end of this movie.
http://www.cyber-cinema.com/reprint/warriors.jpgIN THE CITY off THE LONG RUN.

As for who is the greatest American band,if you use objective criteria (ALBUM SALES,#1 SONGS,TOP 40 HITS) EAGLES clobber THE DOORS AND JEFFERSON A/S COBINED.

8/7/2010, 04:33 PM
IN THE CITY off THE LONG RUN.

As for who is the greatest American band,if you use objective criteria (ALBUM SALES,#1 SONGS,TOP 40 HITS) EAGLES clobber THE DOORS AND JEFFERSON A/S COBINED.If that's your definition of greatness, and if you are correct, then OK, but I don't think some of us were only looking at sales stats.

ndpruitt03
8/7/2010, 04:34 PM
That's kinda like saying Abba was great because they sold more records than Zeppelin or something like that.

8/7/2010, 04:40 PM
That's kinda like saying Abba was great because they sold more records than Zeppelin or something like that.He obviously has a greater appreciation of the Eagles than some of us do.

ndpruitt03
8/7/2010, 04:43 PM
BTW the biggest selling solo musician in history is Oklahoma's own Garth Brooks.

Jacie
8/7/2010, 04:44 PM
That's kinda like saying Abba was great because they sold more records than Zeppelin or something like that.

That is or was the answer to a trivia question, the greatest selling band of all time. When sales worldwide are included, it is ABBA. Before getting into my current line of work, I could only have named one song by them and I didn't even like that one so it floored me to learn they were the top band in total album sales.

ndpruitt03
8/7/2010, 04:50 PM
I think the Beatles have sold more because of their compilations since the 90s. Anthology, 1, and then Love and a few others.

8/7/2010, 04:56 PM
BTW the biggest selling solo musician in history is Oklahoma's own Garth Brooks.Then, he is better than Elvis, Sinatra, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Barbra Streisand.

Lott's Bandana
8/27/2011, 06:19 PM
buuuump

GDC
8/27/2011, 07:33 PM
The Last Resort off of Hotel California

En_Fuego
8/28/2011, 01:20 AM
ws-YqUcD0LY

diverdog
8/28/2011, 03:45 AM
Best Eagle song ever was written by Mojo Nixon.....Don Henley Must Die!
I hate the Eagles.

pphilfran
8/28/2011, 06:24 AM
Hotel California...

I am not a big Eagles fan...

hawaii 5-0
8/28/2011, 01:05 PM
Hotel California's chords were stolen from Jethro Tull's We Used To Know. The Eagles backed them up one tour and I guess the chord progression stuck in someone's memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMh0FS3rcnA&feature=related

Lemme go with Desperado.

5-0

GottaHavePride
8/28/2011, 09:26 PM
Then, he is better than Elvis, Sinatra, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Barbra Streisand.

And Michael Jackson.

And yeah, guy was super wacko crazy, but if you're talking single most influential American musician, then you're looking at #1 Elvis, #2 Michael Jackson, and #3 Jimi Hendrix.

cantwait48
8/28/2011, 11:51 PM
hotel cali