PDA

View Full Version : Video the Cops and get arrested

olevetonahill
8/4/2010, 10:37 AM
This shat aint right . :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100804/us_time/08599200856600;_ylt=AvXcIUKzDklbEqCShgoU9EKs0NUE;_ ylu=X3oDMTNrY3FmaWI1BGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA4MDQvMD g1OTkyMDA4NTY2MDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM4 BHBvcwM1BHB0A2hvbWVfY29rZQRzZWMDeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbG lzdARzbGsDc2hvdWxkdmlkZW90

Crucifax Autumn
8/4/2010, 12:26 PM
Dumbazzes. They have no problem videotaping us.

olevetonahill
8/4/2010, 12:32 PM
No **** bro.
Cameras are being put every where to catch speeders and such. They Video their Traffic stops in most places now . Whats wrong with the Public giving em a Little Turn about ?

Hot Rod
8/4/2010, 12:34 PM
In the Graber case, the trooper also apparently had reason to want to keep his actions off the Internet. He cut Graber off in an unmarked vehicle, approached Graber in plain clothes and yelled while brandishing a gun before identifying himself as a trooper.

Well there ya go.

Leroy Lizard
8/4/2010, 12:41 PM
Do they really want to lean on the wiretap laws? To me, it seems as if they are cutting their own throat.

Ike
8/4/2010, 01:39 PM
Here's the vidya in question: (traffic stop starts at 3:05)

RK5bMSyJCsg

47straight
8/4/2010, 02:01 PM
I had wanted to post this a while back, and didn't get around to it.

I'd have to say I'm pretty pro-law and order, and I think these efforts to arrest and prosecute people for taping police officers is disgusting.

The worst part is that it's been the prosecutors who've been concocting this scheme, who should know better. It's one thing for Officer Joe T. Bubba to invent parts of the law to arrest someone on, but this is another.

Breadburner
8/4/2010, 02:20 PM
I would bet if the organ donor on the crotch rocket would have crashed into a car full of your family members you would feel diffrently.....

47straight
8/4/2010, 02:23 PM
I would bet if the organ donor on the crotch rocket would have crashed into a car full of your family members you would feel diffrently.....

How so? I've got no problem with him getting a ticket, maybe even arrested for driving like an idiot. I also understand why a cop would be pretty mad after stopping him.

But what does charging him with a felony for videotaping the cop have to do with any of that or what you said?

Tulsa_Fireman
8/4/2010, 02:50 PM
How so? I've got no problem with him getting a ticket, maybe even arrested for driving like an idiot. I also understand why a cop would be pretty mad after stopping him.

But what does charging him with a felony for videotaping the cop have to do with any of that or what you said?

Listen to him, Flounder. He's pre-med. Part deux.

MR2-Sooner86
8/4/2010, 02:52 PM

Here's a little physics lesson for you.

Two ton car > 400 pound motorcycle

Lets see the "cop" didn't show a badge while in an unmarked police car while drawing his gun on him. Yup, nothing here that doesn't make that cop come across as a **** head.

Remember how videotaping got that **** off High Po who choked the ambulance driver into the light and finally caused the Oklahoma Highway Patrol to release the dash cam? I say we should do it more.

Ike
8/4/2010, 02:59 PM
I would further ask:

If a citizen videotaping police action (such as a traffic stop) is somehow illegal because the officer does not consent to it, then how could a police officers dash-cam be legal?

sooner59
8/4/2010, 03:11 PM
If the law officers aren't doing anything wrong, they should have no problem with being filmed. Act appropriately while doing your job and maybe it will be on the instructional video at the academy. I respect officers in general, but I don't have complete trust in any of them. Why? Because there are those that abuse their power and take away the rights of citizens based on "laws" they make up. Or those that got made fun of or didn't fit in when they were younger and now want to act like Billy Bad*** because they were issues a badge and a gun. All encounters with the law should be perfectly legal to film and have audio of. If anything, it is evidence that could be used in court for or against the officer or the citizen. And as far as I am concerned, unless they threaten national security, they should all be public. They showed video on tv of Tyreke Evans doing 130 mph in California and getting pulled over and arrested. But you shouldn't be able to show video of a cop pulling a firearm on a dude on a motorcycle? That doesn't add up. Wanting videos like that to be illegal makes me distrust officers even more.

GKeeper316
8/4/2010, 03:19 PM
any law prohibiting citizens from videotaping cops on public streets and highways is an illegal law and it is your responsibility to disobey it.

no person has any expectation of privacy on a public street. not cops, firemen... nobody.

KABOOKIE
8/4/2010, 03:23 PM

I had family members die in car crashes so, that means I can have the cops come arrest you for having a video camera? :rolleyes:

SteelClip49
8/4/2010, 03:30 PM
for any law enforcement on here....you folks make me sick with your over-aggressive "I am the Law" crap. All you do is..."To Harrass and Screw."

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2010, 03:58 PM
I have a friend...well he's not so much a friend as an acquaintance and he's bat-*** crazy. Anyway, he owns a few small town newspapers and is something of a muckraker in Ellis County, TX. At any rate, he published some photos on his website of some local cops and they arrested him for it. He sued and it ended up becoming a mess. It ended up exposing a major corruption deal with some of the local cops that led to nearly the entire police force being fired because of it. It even made Drudge a few days ago.

soonerhubs
8/4/2010, 04:02 PM
I have a friend...well he's not so much a friend as an acquaintance and he's bat-*** crazy. Anyway, he owns a few small town newspapers and is something of a muckraker in Ellis County, TX. At any rate, he published some photos on his website of some local cops and they arrested him for it. He sued and it ended up becoming a mess. It ended up exposing a major corruption deal with some of the local cops that led to nearly the entire police force being fired because of it. It even made Drudge a few days ago.

Link?

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2010, 04:13 PM
Link?

Here's a link to the original story: http://newhampshirefreepress.com/node/521

This is a pretty thorough independent account:
http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009/sep/22/ellis-updated-county-publisher-learning-hard-lesso/

Breadburner
8/4/2010, 11:26 PM

Lets see the "cop" didn't show a badge while in an unmarked police car while drawing his gun on him. Yup, nothing here that doesn't make that cop come across as a **** head.

Remember how videotaping got that **** off High Po who choked the ambulance driver into the light and finally caused the Oklahoma Highway Patrol to release the dash cam? I say we should do it more.

Lets see...400 pound bike Hitting 4000 pound car going 127 mph...Mass squares with velocity...How does that work out for the car....

KABOOKIE
8/5/2010, 05:49 AM
Lets see...400 pound bike Hitting 4000 pound car going 127 mph...Mass squares with velocity...How does that work out for the car....

Um.... You break out your Billy Mays ding-king and then use a little elbow grease to buff the scratch out?

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Business/images-2/billy-mays-thumbs.jpg

Ike
8/5/2010, 08:29 AM

What does "mass squares with velocity" even mean?

BTW, there are 2 parts of the physics problem that have to be solved:

1) The motorcycle is carrying the energy of another 4000 lb car traveling at about 40 mph.

2) The motorcycle is carrying the momentum of another 4000 lb car traveling at 12.7 mph.

Both of those quantities are conserved, but not all of the energy is conserved as kinetic energy (that depends on the elasticity of the collision...which depends on how and where the collision happens.)...that energy from the motorcycle can leave in a number of different forms.

And again, what the hell does this have to with taking video of the police?

About as much as the dramatic chipmunk.
http://www.zeigen.com/blog/wp-content/dramatic-chipmunk.gif

KABOOKIE
8/5/2010, 09:12 AM

1) The motorcycle is carrying the energy of another 4000 lb car traveling at about 40 mph.

2) The motorcycle is carrying the momentum of another 4000 lb car traveling at 12.7 mph.

Both of those quantities are conserved, but not all of the energy is conserved as kinetic energy (that depends on the elasticity of the collision...which depends on how and where the collision happens.)...that energy from the motorcycle can leave in a number of different forms.

And again, what the hell does this have to with taking video of the police?

About as much as the dramatic chipmunk.
http://www.zeigen.com/blog/wp-content/dramatic-chipmunk.gif

But wait... How does a 400 lb bike at rest hit a 4000 lb car going 127 mph???

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2010, 09:27 AM
Stupid stupid law. The people have a responsibility to watch the watchmen.

Bourbon St Sooner
8/5/2010, 12:47 PM
If DAs are going to prosecute stupid **** like this, you need to vote them out of office.

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 08:32 PM

You make a very poor argument and your math is way off.

The motorcyclist was driving recklessly.
The motorcyclist, if in a crash, would more than likely kill himself and just shock the passengers in the car.
The motorcyclist deserved to be punished.
The police were being jackasses.
The police don't have the right to be jackasses to the motorcyclist.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 09:30 PM

Both of those quantities are conserved,

omitted

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 09:35 PM
Stupid stupid law. The people have a responsibility to watch the watchmen.

I have a much less grander reasoning: Turnabout is fair play.

Frozen Sooner
8/5/2010, 10:42 PM
I have a much less grander reasoning: Turnabout is fair play.

Yeah, but mine even works when they turn their cameras off.

NatureBoy
8/6/2010, 04:05 AM
The motorcyclists could have gotten himself or an innocent civilian killed. I don't mind what we see of the police officer's actions in this video, but I do not agree with being able to arrest someone for videotaping an officer.

jkjsooner
8/6/2010, 09:28 AM
I heard this on NPR a couple of weeks ago. It really upset me. I think this should easily follow under the category of freedom of the press.

There should be no expectation of privacy in public places and when conducting offiical business (whether on duty or not) a policeman should have little expectation of privacy anywhere.

What is just as worrisome to me is the practice of DA's to charge people with felonies for stupid things like this just so they can get them to bargain down to a lesser charge. That is a disgusting and immoral practice if you ask me.

jkjsooner
8/6/2010, 09:31 AM

Here's a little physics lesson for you. A 400 pound motorcycle going 100 mph or greater can easily become a rocket that can (and has on many occasions) fly through the windshield.

And, by the way, people get killed by stationary deer every year. There's a lot more to the equation than momentum and energy. A bullet travelling 1000 mph or so doesn't have a lot of energy compared to a truck, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot in the head while driving my truck 70 mph.

MR2-Sooner86
8/6/2010, 11:42 AM
Here's a little physics lesson for you. A 400 pound motorcycle going 100 mph or greater can easily become a rocket that can (and has on many occasions) fly through the windshield.

It can happen but it's rare. Lets not forget motorcycles break apart when hit especially crotch rockets from all the lightweight materials used.

And, by the way, people get killed by stationary deer every year. There's a lot more to the equation than momentum and energy. A bullet travelling 1000 mph or so doesn't have a lot of energy compared to a truck, but I wouldn't feel comfortable taking a shot in the head while driving my truck 70 mph.

How many people? Probably the same as car drivers killed by motorcyclist. It's very rare and I agree but for the most part a car always wins against a motorcycle. I searched stories and it seems to be the same everywhere, motorcyclist dies, car driver shaken up.

I found some stuff on youtube to see high speed crashes if this guy would have hit a car. It's not the exact same but it gives you an idea of what happens in these instances.

M7LkjFhIIl0&feature
IBooghhoRmU&feature
qQo64mlNExU
Jv8Dz27qepY&feature

Back to the story, should the rider get in trouble? Yes. He's going to kill himself though before he kills anybody else if anything. Although he was stupid, he has the right to videotape.

Leroy Lizard
8/6/2010, 12:05 PM

Think: Pressure.

Your problem scenario is a little muddled, btw.

Pricetag
8/6/2010, 01:16 PM
Graber is a moron for riding like that, especially since he has kids.

It's scary that they're trying to keep people from taping police actions, though.

I don't know how often this happens in real life, but I've seen taped evidence thrown out probably a hundred times on "Law and Order" for the same privacy stuff the DAs are using here--do they prosecute the police when this happens? It seems like they'd have to.

NatureBoy
8/6/2010, 04:43 PM
I really don't see the point of the argument. Is it rare? Yes. But does his reckless behavior still put the safety of others at great risk? Yes.

If I walk outside in a residential area and fire 5 rounds into the air, it's highly unlikely that the bullet will come down and strike someone. But it happens, it's happened, and it's reckless, inexcusable behavior.

Pricetag
8/6/2010, 04:49 PM
I don't think anyone has any sympathy for the rider. I think the officer should have done a better job of identifying himself before drawing his piece, but I don't see him as an "out of control cop."

That the authorities would go as far as charging people with felonies to keep us from seeing what they are doing is what everyone has a problem with.

Soonerfan88
8/6/2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think anyone has any sympathy for the rider. I think the officer should have done a better job of identifying himself before drawing his piece, but I don't see him as an "out of control cop."

That the authorities would go as far as charging people with felonies to keep us from seeing what they are doing is what everyone has a problem with.

Completely agree. Rider deserves to be punished, cop did nothing wrong, and the DA is ABSOLUTELY wrong to charge anyone for videoing a public event on a public street. Have any of these cases been appealed yet and how high has it gone? I just don't see how it could stand up.

Leroy Lizard
8/6/2010, 11:35 PM
Completely agree. Rider deserves to be punished, cop did nothing wrong, and the DA is ABSOLUTELY wrong to charge anyone for videoing a public event on a public street.

Other than that, everyone did great. :D

SoonerKnight
8/7/2010, 12:30 AM
First of all the article is a little misleading. There are only 2 states that have a two way consent law. Maryland being one of them. Remember Linda Tripp she was in the wrong state when she recorded Monica. Secondly, because of this not all DA are prosecuting the police.

The next thing is even if you were to have a state with those laws in effect you would first have to have the expectation of privacy. The police officer (being in law enforcement myself) can not expect privacy when pulling someone over the very act it self is a public act. Also, an officer must identify themselves as well. The officer was probably off duty at the time or something don't know didn't see the video. I think this down right BS personally.

I had a neighbor who was renting a townhouse across from us. He was making a bunch of noise, appeared to be selling dope etc... I put up cameras and he moved with a little extra push from the police as they were given copies of the video. He complained about my cameras and the cop explained to him that he has no expectation of privacy outside of his house.

Leroy Lizard
8/7/2010, 01:00 AM
First of all the article is a little misleading. There are only 2 states that have a two way consent law. Maryland being one of them. Remember Linda Tripp she was in the wrong state when she recorded Monica.

And for that she paid a nasty price.

Since the Lewinsky scandal Tripp has moved to Northern Virginia, had extensive plastic surgery, married German architect Dieter Rausch in 2004 and opened with her new husband a year-round Christmas shop, called the Christmas Sleigh, in Middleburg, Virginia.

I had a neighbor who was renting a townhouse across from us. He was making a bunch of noise, appeared to be selling dope etc... I put up cameras and he moved with a little extra push from the police as they were given copies of the video. He complained about my cameras and the cop explained to him that he has no expectation of privacy outside of his house.

Did you cover the lens when they beat the crap out of him? That's what I would have done.

Crucifax Autumn
8/7/2010, 01:22 AM
And not have anything to beat off to later? Are you crazy?

Leroy Lizard
8/7/2010, 01:27 AM
And not have anything to beat off to later? Are you crazy?

You will always have your memories.

jkjsooner
8/7/2010, 07:13 AM
Think: Pressure.

Your problem scenario is a little muddled, btw.

I used it to demonstrate a point - that energy and momentum are not always the only concerns. I never said it fit the example entirely but it does clearly demonstrate my point.

As for pressure, a motorcycle or rider flying through a windshield can exert a lot of pressure on a driver's head.

How many people? Probably the same as car drivers killed by motorcyclist. It's very rare

That's not true. These happen all of the time. Do a search and you'll find all kind of articles about people dying from this.

And that's not even considering the people who die from accidents after swerving to avoid a deer - which isn't entirely out of the question for the motorcycle scenario as well.

Crucifax Autumn
8/7/2010, 07:16 AM
You guys are ****ing nerds!

jkjsooner
8/7/2010, 07:28 AM
Completely agree. Rider deserves to be punished, cop did nothing wrong, and the DA is ABSOLUTELY wrong to charge anyone for videoing a public event on a public street. Have any of these cases been appealed yet and how high has it gone? I just don't see how it could stand up.

From what I've heard is that these haven't been appealed simply because the person is charged with a felony and is generally willing to agree to a lesser charge.

That goes back to my problem with stupid felony charges. It's just a way for the prosecutors to get an easy conviction and it's an abuse.

Leroy Lizard
8/7/2010, 12:16 PM
I used it to demonstrate a point - that energy and momentum are not always the only concerns. I never said it fit the example entirely but it does clearly demonstrate my point.

I meant that the wording is fouled up.

As for pressure, a motorcycle or rider flying through a windshield can exert a lot of pressure on a driver's head.

Yeah, I know. I wasn't disagreeing with you, just planting a label on what you were describing.

It's pressure that causes the damage and the pain. Vehicular accidents are essentially collisional processes (well, pretty much everything is), so all you need to ask is, "How much force is being applied to decelerate the body and over what area is that force applied?" In other words, pressure.