PDA

View Full Version : We will now see if AD is HOF talent

soonerfromgeorgia
8/3/2010, 02:15 PM
If Farve has retired for real this time, AD's job just got tougher. You don't take a 33 (TD's) and 7 (int's) QB out of a offense and it not hurt the running game.

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 02:27 PM
Have you looked at AD's 2007 and 2008 stats?

AD is the reason Favre had his best year ever.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 02:31 PM
With Farve AD's number went down a little.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 02:39 PM
With Farve AD's number went down a little.
Well, you don't have to pound the ball with butterfingers ( ;) ) 30 times a game when you've got single coverage on the outside to Rice and gaps up the middle to Shiancoe.

That's why this board was so infuriating last year. "They need to give the ball to AD some more!" Well, what the hell for? We're averaging 30 friggin points a game!

cheezyq
8/3/2010, 02:45 PM
Statistics show that his numbers are likely to go UP actually. Think about the great RBs of all time - Tomlinson, Payton, Brown, Dickerson, Sanders, even Emmitt Smith. None of them had QBs that put up monster numbers every year. The best, arguably, was Troy Aikman, but only one time did he put up more than 20 TDs in a season.

Assuming AD gets a "capable" QB as a replacement, I'd be willing to guess that his numbers actually go higher.

KantoSooner
8/3/2010, 02:48 PM
I'm not arguing with you, really, but those running back comparisons are perhaps misleading. When you have an Emmit Smith, for instance, you might use the pass to get close, but you don't necessarily use it to score. Troy Aikman was a beast.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 02:52 PM
Aikman was a hall of fame QB. But Dallas rode Emmitt because he was a warrior and it opened up more. Dallas had the perfect balance of running and passing the other teams that you list didn't. And his YPC average is a lot less than the other backs for that reason. Look at ADs YPC without Farve and with Farve.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/3/2010, 03:11 PM
Statistics show that his numbers are likely to go UP actually. Think about the great RBs of all time - Tomlinson, Payton, Brown, Dickerson, Sanders, even Emmitt Smith. None of them had QBs that put up monster numbers every year. The best, arguably, was Troy Aikman, but only one time did he put up more than 20 TDs in a season.

Assuming AD gets a "capable" QB as a replacement, I'd be willing to guess that his numbers actually go higher.

I expect all of his numbers to go up including carries, yards and fumbles. But does it shorten his career and he is out of the league before reaching HOF status?

sooner59
8/3/2010, 03:42 PM

Irrelevant. AD "WILL" be the starting QB! :D

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 03:57 PM
Irrelevant. AD "WILL" be the starting QB! :D

This.

Probably.

cheezyq
8/3/2010, 03:57 PM
I expect all of his numbers to go up including carries, yards and fumbles. But does it shorten his career and he is out of the league before reaching HOF status?

Yep, that's the worry...but maybe Gerhart can spell him enough to lengthen his career. At least he hasn't had any torn ACLs or any other ligament damage thus far in his career. That's a good sign, compared to a broken bone (like his collarbone), which doesn't really affect longevity as much...especially with his style of running (a lot of cutting, and a lot of running into people).

Mad Dog Madsen
8/3/2010, 04:13 PM
Brett Favre or Tavaris Jackson, AD is still a HOF talent. He'll get at least 1,600 yards on the ground this year.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2010, 04:28 PM
Chris Johnson has done it the last 2 years in Tennessee without a decent quarterback and facing big fronts..AD should be able to also

swardboy
8/3/2010, 06:11 PM
And OJ had the memorable Joe Ferguson at QB.

Actually Ferguson was imho the best "form" QB of all time. He played at Arkansas....perfect form - strong arm, but with OJ back there he just didn't have to throw that much.

Breadburner
8/3/2010, 06:50 PM
AD should retire his career is over....Jesus.....

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 06:52 PM
AD is a stud. Nuff said.

Eielson
8/3/2010, 06:58 PM
Anybody who questions if AD is HOF talent is out of their mind.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/3/2010, 07:06 PM
As is anyone who gives it to him before he earns it!

Been a lot of guys come into the league as the next "great one" only to be out of there in 4 or 5 years.

Eielson
8/3/2010, 08:05 PM
As is anyone who gives it to him before he earns it!

Been a lot of guys come into the league as the next "great one" only to be out of there in 4 or 5 years.

Why were they "out of there" in 4 or 5 years? An injury? That doesn't take away the fact that they had HOF talent. I'm not saying Adrian Peterson is HOF if his career ended right now, but he is without a doubt HOF talent. I'm not sure how that is questionable...especially if you saw him play in college.

BoulderSooner79
8/4/2010, 01:11 AM
Why were they "out of there" in 4 or 5 years? An injury? That doesn't take away the fact that they had HOF talent. I'm not saying Adrian Peterson is HOF if his career ended right now, but he is without a doubt HOF talent. I'm not sure how that is questionable...especially if you saw him play in college.

^This. AD has proven he has HOF talent. But many players with such talent don't get inducted due to injury or other circumstance, so it takes some luck too.

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 09:22 AM

right

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 09:24 AM
Yep, that's the worry...but maybe Gerhart can spell him enough to lengthen his career. At least he hasn't had any torn ACLs or any other ligament damage thus far in his career. That's a good sign, compared to a broken bone (like his collarbone), which doesn't really affect longevity as much...especially with his style of running (a lot of cutting, and a lot of running into people).
MCL in 2007, missed 2 1/2 games. Seemed a step slower after that (partially due to the brace).

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 10:23 AM
DMN had list of 10 best pro football RBs, this morning.

Jimmy Brown was #! & Emmitt was #7.

85Sooner
8/4/2010, 11:49 AM
Aikman won when he had a O line that averaged 350 and Smith and Irvin. I can't put him in the category with Young or Montana. I also believe he had more to do with the future decline of the Cowboys than most people are aware of. Then again, we can always thank him for the Blake years.

stoopified
8/4/2010, 06:25 PM
Last year was the only year that Minnesota didn't have mediocre QB play in AD's career and he had his worst season.I don't think going back to Tavaris will wreck his HOF career track.