PDA

View Full Version : Favre retired...officially...maybe...probably

delhalew
8/3/2010, 10:13 AM
Don't have a link, but it's the big story right now.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 10:16 AM
Everybody thought he was coming back. I think he still is. This is what I hate about Favre. He is magic on the field and a primadonna cluster**** in the offseason.

KantoSooner
8/3/2010, 10:18 AM
Seriously? I think his handlers should hire some recently cut defensive linemen to randomly sack him throughout the off season. He does so well with adversity during the season it might just give him something to focus on and keep his mind off of being a jackhole during the summer.

sooner518
8/3/2010, 10:21 AM
i wonder if it would have been a better idea for him to get surgery on his ankle before May.....
Im sure ESPN is sending their fleet of satellite trucks to Hattiesburg as we speak. It wouldnt be training camp season without Wendy Nix reporting live from some high school football field about Brett possibly maybe throwing/jogging/eating/farting with the high schoolers.

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2010, 10:23 AM
I'll believe it if he isn't there for the first game of the regular season. Personally, I think this is just his way of avoiding training camp.

SoonerPr8r
8/3/2010, 10:27 AM
Bret Farve Plans to Retire (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5433551)

sooner59
8/3/2010, 10:30 AM
It all makes perfect sense. He signs a 2 year contract and is supposed to make like $12 million if he returns for his second year. He gets close to a Super Bowl, and in the offseason talks about wanting a rematch, gets surgery, starts training in Hattiesburg, and basicallly he finally makes it obvious that he is returning this year instead of making it a big media storm of guessing games. Then he decides to just call it quits? Hell, knowing him, he might actually be done for good now just to have everyone going, "WTF?"

badger
8/3/2010, 10:39 AM
Dean and other Packer loyalists will agree with me on this.

If it is up to Brett, he plays forever.

If it is up to someone else, Brett retires.

So long as the decision is Brett's, he will return.

Those are the facts. So, don't ask Brett to retire. Ask his daughters and wife, or his doctors, or the teams that continue to let him wait months to decide. If the decision is out of his hands, he's gone. If Brett's in control, Brett stays.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 10:46 AM
I'll believe it if he isn't there for the first game of the regular season. Personally, I think this is just his way of avoiding training camp.

He doent have to do this to avoid training camp. All he had to do was stay on the farm and show up when he damn well pleased.
I wouldn't be surprised if he came back halfway through the damn season.

My Opinion Matters
8/3/2010, 10:56 AM
Great news for Vikings fans.He'll be back in two weeks.

My Opinion Matters
8/3/2010, 10:57 AM
I "retire" from my job every Friday evening, I then "un-retire" Monday morning. Someone send an ESPN satellite truck to my house.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 11:00 AM
Espn is talking about his legacy. They are buying into this retirement. You would think they would learn.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2010, 11:04 AM
his retirement is like the local furniture stores "going out of business sale"...I'll believe both when I see it

badger
8/3/2010, 11:07 AM
For those of you that believe this, look at this picture:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2010/20100803_favreretire00000803.jpg
March 2008, Favre officially and tearfully retires from professional football.

"I know I can still play, but it's like I told my wife, I'm just tired mentally. I'm just tired," Favre, a three-time NFL MVP, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen in a voice mail message.

"If I felt like coming back -- and Deanna [his wife] and I talked about this -- the only way for me to be successful would be to win a Super Bowl. To go to the Super Bowl and lose, would almost be worse than anything else. Anything less than a Super Bowl win would be unsuccessful," Favre said in the message.

"I know it shouldn't feel unsuccessful, but the only way to come back and make that be the right decision would be to come back and win a Super Bowl. And honestly, the odds of that, they're tough. Those are big shoes for me to fill, and I guess it was a challenge I wasn't up for. "

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 11:14 AM
Everybody thought he was coming back. I think he still is. This is what I hate about Favre. He is magic on the field and a primadonna cluster**** in the offseason.

He earned it.

Once you turn 37+, every football player should be up in the air about returning the following season. His issues just get more publicized do to his fame.

Players "retire" and come back every year, and no one even notices.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 11:27 AM
He earned it.

Once you turn 37+, every football player should be up in the air about returning the following season. His issues just get more publicized do to his fame.

Players "retire" and come back every year, and no one even notices.

You can't deny that is Farve's doing.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 11:29 AM
Heard of the boy that cried wolf? Brett Farve is the old football player that cried retire.

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 11:32 AM
You can't deny that is Farve's doing.

He made the mistake of answering, at the team's request, before he truly had his mind made up. Yes, that was his fault.

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 11:52 AM
If True, Thanks Brett for putting the Vikes back at least five yrs... Fire Chilly for investing in the drama queen and T Jack.

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 11:59 AM
If True, Thanks Brett for putting the Vikes back at least five yrs... Fire Chilly for investing in the drama queen and T Jack.
Mind numbingly delusional.

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 11:59 AM
you will see my friend

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:02 PM
A few yrs ago, Chilly could have went after Brees (among others) and instead Chilly put his faith in t-jack. A few yrs late he plays the favre circus. Hope Chilly enjoys his last yr or two in Sota.

diegosooner
8/3/2010, 12:03 PM

Correct. He'll show up in time for the last preseason game.

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 12:04 PM
A few yrs ago, Chilly could have went after Brees (among others) and instead Chilly put his faith in t-jack. A few yrs late he plays the favre circus. Hope Chilly enjoys his last yr or two in Sota.

Try explaining how investing in one year of Favre put the Vikings FIVE years back?

delhalew
8/3/2010, 12:04 PM
Farve is worth having around. Would you have preferred they draft Claussen?

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:06 PM
Try explaining how investing in one year of Favre put the Vikings FIVE years back?

Really? Common sense! I just explained last post.

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:07 PM
It will all play out... You will see. The vikes missed the window playin the favre circus

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 12:08 PM

No you didn't, you wrote....

"A few yrs ago, Chilly could have went after Brees (among others) and instead Chilly put his faith in t-jack. A few yrs late he plays the favre circus. Hope Chilly enjoys his last yr or two in Sota."

Again, please explain how one year of Favre (and an overtime away from the Super Bowl) put the team 5 years back?

delhalew
8/3/2010, 12:09 PM

Farve will play.

badger
8/3/2010, 12:11 PM

:D

Wait a sec... that smile isn't NEARLY big enough for the thought of the Vikings being put back five years, forcing AD to seek a new suitor... Green Bay!

http://img1.liveinternet.ru/images/attach/c/1//55/512/55512083_1266785406_Big_smile.png

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:11 PM
Not drafting future QB's, signing people, players gaining valuable exp., etc....Wow hang your hat on almost going to the super bowl.

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 12:12 PM
Not drafting future QB's, signing people, players gaining valuable exp., etc....Wow hang your hat on almost going to the super bowl.

Who?

Please tell me which player the Vikings passed on this year, that will set them back for the next 5.

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:13 PM
I'm done wasting my time talking about Favre

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 12:15 PM
Good move!

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:16 PM
We can talk about this in a few yrs when chilly is fired and the vikes suck

CBUS_SOONER
8/3/2010, 12:18 PM
BTW, just my opinion rawlings. You getting all worked up over an opinion. Sound like a suckeye fan here in columbus. relax. I hope I'm wrong... The proof will be in the pudding

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 12:18 PM
Now, more than ever, HANG ONTO THE BALL, ADRIAN!

:)

badger
8/3/2010, 12:19 PM

Here let me explain:

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/56734/favre-4_medium.jpg
Favre's number is 4...

http://i38.tinypic.com/xl9d8l.png
There's only ONE Adrian Peterson...

Favre leaves, so AD leaves.

4+1=5

Five! Five-year setback in Minny-ha-ha! Five!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uLgAmo8bWO8/SN0OpKh3hxI/AAAAAAAAANc/ZQFiwQJfFTs/s320/count_von_count.jpg

Ah ha ha!

:D

goingoneight
8/3/2010, 12:19 PM
The best thing that can happen for the Vikes is what happened to Dallas when Parcells kept bringing in retired/not retired QBs to lead them to mediocre seasons. Romo got thrown into the fire and has done well for them because of it. You have to agree that even Favre can't be lucky forever. He's gonna get rocked eventually and he may regret this game he's been playing every year the last three to four for the rest of his life. Vikes fans will hate it, too... because if there's one thing we know here in the BIG 12 South, losing your QB never comes at a "good time."

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 12:22 PM
How many true Viking fans are there in this thread? Me and RawlingsHOH? Anyone who actually watches the team knows that this pretty much shuts the window. We had a chance to win the SB this year with Favre, now it's 11-5 at best and a road game when things get tough in the postseason.

Oh well. Part of being a Viking fan. Like losing all your strike games in '87 and having to go to Washington for the NFC Title Game......

rawlingsHOH
8/3/2010, 12:24 PM
We can talk about this in a few yrs when chilly is fired and the vikes suck
And it will have nothing to do with Favre.

badger
8/3/2010, 12:29 PM
Anyone who actually watches the team knows that this pretty much shuts the window.
I watch the team by default since they're in GB's division. I watch them a lot more than I care to admit.

We had a chance to win the SB this year with Favre, now it's 11-5 at best and a road game when things get tough in the postseason.
Nah, because that's where GB's headed this year, and you can't have two NFC teams in the Super Bowl... but we could have met for the ultimate showdown in the NFC Championship game... which admittedly, I was counting on. Of course, GB as the NFC North champs would have hosted

Part of being a Viking fan.

Part of being an NFL fan. Players don't just retire, they hold out, they get traded, they get cut, they sign with another team. I didn't used to watch much college football when I was younger since Packers were the attention hogs up in Wisconsin. It is definitely a plus in college that you don't have to worry about your favorite players leaving unexpectedly for as many reasons - just transfers and declaring for the pros... and those often aren't surprises or backstabbery moves.

HBick
8/3/2010, 12:30 PM
I considered myself a Vikings fan more than any other team. I think this pretty much dooms the Vikings, him waiting so long to inform the team is why. The Vikes would of had options earlier in the off season.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 12:34 PM
I considered myself a Vikings fan more than any other team. I think this pretty much dooms the Vikings, him waiting so long to inform the team is why. The Vikes would of had options earlier in the off season.

Just curious...what options. They replaced Taylor with Gerhart via draft. Do you think they would have traded for a QB? T Jackson is not awful.

HBick
8/3/2010, 12:36 PM
Well T Jackson is third string, Sage is 2nd right? I was referring to players such as Marc Bulger (signed with Ravens), Leftwich (Steelers grabbed him after Big Ben's flap), Jason Campbell (Oakland). I think any of those three would leave me feeling more confident than Sage and Jackson

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2010, 12:39 PM
My own personal opinion is that, unless Green Bay made some major improvements to their o-line, the Vikings are still the favorites to win the division, Favre or no Favre. The Bears need defensive line help and another steady receiver besides Hester. The Lions, well, you know....

badger
8/3/2010, 12:43 PM
Green Bay made some major improvements to their o-line

From the University of Iowa...Bryan Bulaga!
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2010/writers/peter_king/04/25/draft/bryan-bulaga-ap.jpg
The first thing I thought when we drafted him was "Dude looks like a Packer already!" He's from Iowa, so he's used to the cold, he'll provide immediate support to our somewhat shaky o-line

:mad: and yes, i know aaron got sacked a lot last season, so "somewhat shaky" isn't exactly accurate... it's the fan in me talking a little but biased-like

delhalew
8/3/2010, 12:45 PM
Well T Jackson is third string, Sage is 2nd right? I was referring to players such as Marc Bulger (signed with Ravens), Leftwich (Steelers grabbed him after Big Ben's flap), Jason Campbell (Oakland). I think any of those three would leave me feeling more confident than Sage and Jackson

Maybe. T Jack's numbers were pretty good a couple of years ago. I heard on ESPeNis he had a 79% completion percentage.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 12:49 PM
Maybe. T Jack's numbers were pretty good a couple of years ago. I heard on ESPeNis he had a 79% completion percentage.
I am now convinced that I'm the only person here who watches Vikings games.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 12:53 PM
The only thing to like about Tavaras Jackson is his mobility. Which would be good if you had no run game. When you have a running back like AD you don't need a QB that moves around that much. You need a QB that can throw down the field and complete the ball accurately. I have Farve a passion. He's a class A a-hole. However he is a perfect fit for the Vikes because he can still throw the ball down the field. AD will still get his numbers. In fact he may get better numbers than before because he'll get more carries. But the WRs for the Vikings don't like it if Farve does indeed retire.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 12:56 PM
Elite running backs are not a need in the NFL. They are a wonderful asset to have, but they are not required. Peterson will probably have a season more on par with 2008 when we were a 10-6 first round flameout instead of a 12-4 juggernaut.

QB play, though, must be stellar to win in the NFL. The Vikings have everything but that, and that's why the ceiling is either 11-5 or 10-6.

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 01:04 PM

I think he tried to come back, age has just caught up with him and his ankle isn't healing fast enough.

badger
8/3/2010, 01:06 PM
I am now convinced that I'm the only person here who watches Vikings games.

On the contrary - I also think this "T Jack" would be a good starter for your purple people.

T Jack lol

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 01:09 PM
I was a Viking fan last season. Probably not so much this season. Always like to see AD do good though.

Sooner-N-KS
8/3/2010, 01:14 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/min/year/2007

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 01:14 PM
I was a Viking fan last season. Probably not so much this season. Always like to see AD do good though.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/worffrustration.gif

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2010, 01:21 PM
I am not a Vikings fan, but I felt like anything less than a superbowl in this favre experiment would make it a failure..

Anytime you take a step backward in age at a position, it better pay off because you just took snaps away from younger players, changed off season acquisitions, and draft decisions were altered..

Anyway good luck to em..

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 01:22 PM
ESPN is pretty much humping Brett Farve now. It's unwatchable.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 01:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/min/year/2007

Those numbers are pretty bad. I was thinking about 08, but I do remember AD and Chester carrying that team. Those numbers are a good reminder why.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 01:38 PM
They will really miss Taylor this year without Farve. I really like Gerhart but he's basically the same style as AD only not even close to the athlete. They won't have a guy that can catch passes out of the backfield or run to the outside as well as they had with Taylor.

badger
8/3/2010, 01:48 PM

It's because Tim Tebow hasn't caught on yet in the NFL. I worry which player they'll chose to replace Teebz in college football.

Anyone else wanna bet it'll be the golden boy that SC has at QB, even though they aren't bowl eligible for the next few years?

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 02:00 PM
It's because Tim Tebow hasn't caught on yet in the NFL. I worry which player they'll chose to replace Teebz in college football.

Anyone else wanna bet it'll be the golden boy that SC has at QB, even though they aren't bowl eligible for the next few years?

The RB for Alabama that won the Heisman. Isn't he just a Jr or Soph?

badger
8/3/2010, 02:39 PM
The RB for Alabama that won the Heisman. Isn't he just a Jr or Soph?

Nah, he's not golden boy enough. He needs to look the part. If AD didn't get media oogling back then, then this guy won't.

Jason White was once the best QB in college, but he wasn't ESPN's significant other because of his crooked teeth or whatever. Matt Leinart though... ooo, what a dreamboat, now that he isn't a crosseyed fat kid! :rolleyes:

SCxxSOONER
8/3/2010, 02:40 PM
The vikings are a playoff team without favre, however with favre they were an elite team. they were able to establish dominance by letting favre throw the ball downfield while defenses sucked in on AD. Tavaris hasnt been great by any stretch, but i remember thinking his rookie yr when he took over that he had some talent. I think this team will be a playoff team until they get an established qb or develop one.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 02:41 PM
Back to Farve I still am going to with the mode of I'll believe it when I see it. He is has cried "Retire" one too many times. It's good to speculate how Minn will be without him, but in the end it won't matter because he'll play come a month from now.

badger
8/3/2010, 02:47 PM
btw... photoshopped?
http://apps.startribune.com/blogs/user_images/randmid_1280265135_Favre_Brett_04_2010.jpg

Link (http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/99349344.html?elr=KArksc8P:Pc:U0ckkD:aEyKUiD3aPc:_ Yyc:aUU)

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5527/favre.gif

Replacing Favre wasn't so tough after all, eh? :rolleyes:

Tigeman
8/3/2010, 05:10 PM

I'll take that bet! It'll be Gilbert Grape. They've already been pumping sunshine up his a$$ since the mNCG that he sucked in. It'll continue. Hell they already had :mack: day on ESPNU. They're just setting it up :O

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 09:13 AM
They will really miss Taylor this year without Farve. I really like Gerhart but he's basically the same style as AD only not even close to the athlete. They won't have a guy that can catch passes out of the backfield or run to the outside as well as they had with Taylor.

AD is just as good of a receiver as Taylor. Though Taylor was better at blitz pick up.

The reason they picked up Toby is reduce some of the pounding on AD. If Toby can take care some of the short yardage stuff, it will open AD to more opportunities in the passing game.

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 09:14 AM
The vikings are a playoff team without favre, however with favre they were an elite team. they were able to establish dominance by letting favre throw the ball downfield while defenses sucked in on AD. Tavaris hasnt been great by any stretch, but i remember thinking his rookie yr when he took over that he had some talent. I think this team will be a playoff team until they get an established qb or develop one.

agree

Mad Dog Madsen
8/4/2010, 09:18 AM

Did you copy and past that from ESPN??? :)

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 09:19 AM
Back to Farve I still am going to with the mode of I'll believe it when I see it. He is has cried "Retire" one too many times. It's good to speculate how Minn will be without him, but in the end it won't matter because he'll play come a month from now.
I'm still kind of curious who these "unnamed sources" that claim Favre retired are?

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 09:22 AM

ESPN creates their own news.

sooner518
8/4/2010, 09:36 AM
Apparently Deadspin.com is going to air some of Brett's dirty laundry sometime today, unrelated to his retirement: http://deadspin.com/5603792/hilariously-gross-brett-favre-news-to-surface-soon

Hilariously Gross Brett Favre News to Surface Soon

And it has nothing to do with his alleged retirement this time around. No, no — it turns out the heroic Gunslinger of yore has a little scoundrel in him, too. But you must wait, mongrels.

Here's somewhat of a [sic'd] clue:

PS, when the texts/pics/calls started... [Redacted] asked Peter King about the phone number.. and King said he didn't have that number for him. So this is a completely separate bat phone that no one including his best friends knows about. He'd ask me to send him video again.. or some **** every once in a while.. like I "did before'.. (and I never did) which means, this scum bag prolly was doing this to multiple women...

I don't want to get famous for this.. or have anything to do with this.. but.. I hate the fact that every one loves on this guy when I can't even stand to watch his wranglers commercials.

He's a pro.

To make this even more interesting — the person on the receiving end of Favre's clumsy overtures is someone you're probably familiar with as well.

But be patient. We've been patient, so you must be, too. This person's story could do wonders for keeping Favre's name out of our football conversation for the next three months. Let's just say this — you'll never be able to think of Brett Favre without thinking about Crocs.

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 10:28 AM
Brett's dirty laundry? This is supposed to subtract from his popularity?

His whole public life has been about the dirty laundry, and it has only added to his likability. I think people see a little bit of themselves in him.

The booze, the drugs, the women, the death, the wrecks.

LOL Deadspin, LOL!

badger
8/4/2010, 10:32 AM
The mother of his children who was his high school sweetheart and knew him before he was famous, his lifelong best friend, was ready to leave him. That's all that needs to be said about Favre's off-field character.

Other than that incident, there were the autograph sessions and public events that he skipped, his jerky attitude toward the media, but all of that was forgiven up north because he was Brett freakin' Favre, the savior of our beloved franchise. So, he gives Aaron Rodgers the cold shoulder when he looks for guidance from the team captain? Duh, he's Brett freakin' Favre!

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 10:34 AM
The mother of his children who was his high school sweetheart and knew him before he was famous, his lifelong best friend, was ready to leave him. That's all that needs to be said about Favre's off-field character.

Other than that incident, there were the autograph sessions and public events that he skipped, his jerky attitude toward the media, but all of that was forgiven up north because he was Brett freakin' Favre, the savior of our beloved franchise. So, he gives Aaron Rodgers the cold shoulder when he looks for guidance from the team captain? Duh, he's Brett freakin' Favre!
It's not all just "up north", and it is more than just a football thing.

delhalew
8/4/2010, 10:39 AM
He was in Something about Mary for crying out loud.

badger
8/4/2010, 10:40 AM
It's not all just "up north", and it is more than just a football thing.

I can only attest to what I was around in northeastern Wisconsin, which for me is "up north." I'm not sure about other places, but we all knew that Favre was a little diva, but he was our diva, so it was OK.

Take Rhett for example. We all knew that he was a little drinker like many other college students, but hey, he finally turns 21, rejoice! No more underage drinking stops! I even put a cartoon caricature of buzzed Rhett up till the Big Red stuff came out. Yes, he's foolish, but he's still ours... at least till it turned out he was doing something more foolish :mad:

Brett was pretty much the same way. Yes, he's a diva, but he's ours, so we still love him. Then, when he wasn't ours anymore, all bets were off and Favre is not our beloved diva, he's just a diva :mad:

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 10:49 AM
Has it been confirmed the media has made this up?

soonervegas
8/4/2010, 10:59 AM
I have change the channel anytime Favre is brought up. How can this be news going on 4 years and it still be newsworthy?

ndpruitt03
8/4/2010, 11:09 AM
Now there's reports saying he will if he physically can. I think in about 3 weeks we will hear him say that he'll be ready for the first game.

CrimsonJim
8/4/2010, 11:18 AM
Now there's reports saying he will if he physically can. I think in about 3 weeks we will hear him say that he'll be ready for the first game.

Favre now says he will play this season if he thinks his surgically repaired ankle can handle it, and he denies that he told the Vikings he was retiring.

I just KNEW it! He will be playing for the Vikings this year. :P

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 11:18 AM
"Favre now says he will play this season if he thinks his surgically repaired ankle can handle it, and he denies that he told the Vikings he was retiring."

badger
8/4/2010, 12:05 PM
Is it too early to post some stadium tunes?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCQ7VLoY7bQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MCQ7VLoY7bQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

goingoneight
8/4/2010, 12:08 PM
Do people not understand his gameplan? This is a convenient little way to skip camps, don'tcha think?

CrimsonJim
8/4/2010, 12:09 PM
lol...good one badge. :D

"because I'm gonna"
"because I wanna"
"Hate to say I told you so!"

badger
8/4/2010, 12:12 PM
lol...good one badge. :D

"because I'm gonna"
"because I wanna"
"Hate to say I told you so!"

I just made this thread more Sooner-related. I love that song and love that Owen Field plays it. Same goes for Rolling Stones "Start me up" House of Pain's "Jump Around" and whoever's "Party Hard."

delhalew
8/4/2010, 01:31 PM
Do people not understand his gameplan? This is a convenient little way to skip camps, don'tcha think?

I really believe it's about the ankle. He doesn't have to play games to skip camp. He can show up when he feels like it. Let's not forget this guy is forty...and a man.

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 01:39 PM
PAY ATTENTION TO ME!! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 01:40 PM
or its a slow newsday at ESPN, fire up the ole' Farve bus and lets ride it until something better comes along...

CrimsonJim
8/4/2010, 01:48 PM
PAY ATTENTION TO ME!! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!

or its a slow newsday at ESPN, fire up the ole' Farve bus and lets ride it until something better comes along...

Whoa? Ya mean this little bit o' news didn't give ya a boner? :confused:

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 02:23 PM
He got to sit back for a couple days and watch ESPN give him ANOTHER farewell with a list of his top 10 plays and talk about his 20 year career. AGAIN.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2010, 03:03 PM
Amazing fast he got healthy after the Vikings ponied up another 7 million dollars. **** Brett Favre.

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 03:05 PM
Whoa? Ya mean this little bit o' news didn't give ya a boner? :confused:

nope. He's gotta do something different... maybe a little roleplaying. :O

CrimsonJim
8/4/2010, 03:26 PM
nope. He's gotta do something different... maybe a little roleplaying. :O

You didn't used to play hard to get like this. :P

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 05:39 PM
You didn't used to play hard to get like this. :P

I realized that I'm a catch. :P

badger
8/4/2010, 05:49 PM
Amazing fast he got healthy after the Vikings ponied up another 7 million dollars. **** Brett Favre.

meh, it's not about the money. GB offered him $20 mil to stay retired. I think that the pay increase Minny was offering was just a rumor too, along with the rumors that Favre was retiring now.

Your best bet, if you are the betting type, and the type to bet on something like this, is this:

Favre's decision = STAY!

Other's decision = RETIRE!

Check this blog (http://www.sportsgrindent.com/blog/tag/brett-favre/) here for more Favre fun, including a twitter feud between ex-Favre teammate Darren Sharper and the tight end that spilled the beans to the media, saying that other teammates got retire texts from Brett.

I found that blog when I was looking for the hammie shots... then found them here, realizing how awful the shots were, and decided against reposting them :D

soonerboy_odanorth
8/4/2010, 06:13 PM
Here's the TC scuttlebutt: Shiancoe had a joke played on him by teamates, and he was stupid enough to fall for it and thought he'd be cool going deep throat on the bit, then our Woodward and Bernsteins at ESPN outed him because he made them look foolish, again, and now behind the scenes he's a lil' bit uncomfortable.

Really, shame on ESPN for being simultaneously such a bunch of Favre-sniffers AND practical joke dupes/marks. Even what Shiancoe reported was the text, "This is it", could be interpreted a number of ways. However our reading comprehension-challenged ESPeNemas somehow translated "This is it" to "GAME OVER, MAN, GAME OVER! IT'S ALL OVER, WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!, when they could just have easily interpreted it as, "I'm coming back, but this is it."

Most people around here have just gotten numb to it after last year. The prevailing mood is: We'll believe it when we see it, either way.

stoopified
8/4/2010, 10:10 PM
Just saw a Farve interview where he said the decision had ZNOT be made and he didNOT tweet ,or e-mail anyone saying he was retiring.

ndpruitt03
8/4/2010, 10:24 PM
I think Brett Farve's goal is to do this to every team in the NFL.

JohnnyMack
8/4/2010, 11:07 PM
I'm still waiting for the pics of him masturbating while wearing Crocs to surface.

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 11:36 PM
Good thing he's not playing for the Redskins, he'd be running drills all day.

soonerboy_odanorth
8/4/2010, 11:43 PM
I think Brett Farve's goal is to do this to every team in the NFL.

I don't. I think that the "insider" d**ches at ESPeNema are trying to scoop the "insider" d**ches not only from competing networks, but internally as well.

Even dear ol' "Mort" is just a caricature these days.

That brings up another point. Who gives two flippin' f-dot-dot-dot-s who ESPN's flavor of the day is in college football. We should admit they latched on to us with the sudden resurgence and a nasty defense 2000-2003. But they cooled, latched onto USC, latched onto the SEC, and now seem to be a little latched onto the Tejanos, given their recent "dominance" over OU.

F-dot-dot-dot them. I don't care. We are Sooners. And regardless of recent rumblings of uncertainty or upheaval in the face of the Big XII fall-apart routine... to borrow a phrase from Pat Hill at Fresno...

Anyone.

Anytime.

Anywhere.

Boomer Sooner.

Scott D
8/5/2010, 05:16 AM
Even when Brittany Favre retires I won't believe it...not until that sumbitch is dead and rotting in a casket.

rawlingsHOH
8/5/2010, 08:42 AM
I'm still waiting for the pics of him masturbating while wearing Crocs to surface.

They said there is no picture. They ran the story on a story.

Jen Sterger was bragging to Deadspin Guy on how many guys, including NFL players, send her pics of their penoos. Deadspin guy asks who? She lists a bunch of guys, including Favre.

badger
8/5/2010, 09:04 AM
Even when Brittany Favre retires I won't believe it...not until that sumbitch is dead and rotting in a casket.
heh, that's his daughter's name :D

JohnnyMack
8/5/2010, 09:46 AM

Jen Sterger was bragging to Deadspin Guy on how many guys, including NFL players, send her pics of their penoos. Deadspin guy asks who? She lists a bunch of guys, including Favre.

Quiet. Badger and I wanna see 'em.

sooner518
8/5/2010, 09:59 AM

They never said there arent pictures. Just they dont have them.

Im a fan of Deadspin, but this was a little slimy to run. Basically the only reason it has ANY credibility at all is because she is somewhat "famous" even though they basically ran it without her consent.

TexasLidig8r
8/5/2010, 10:21 AM

Close?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/08/500x_stergerfavre.jpg

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/11/2010/08/5cb828092604475b8f0790bfb9cf03f0/340x.jpg

rawlingsHOH
8/5/2010, 10:26 AM
They never said there arent pictures. Just they dont have them.

Im a fan of Deadspin, but this was a little slimy to run. Basically the only reason it has ANY credibility at all is because she is somewhat "famous" even though they basically ran it without her consent.
Wasn't Sterger the whore that dressed up in ridiculous Cowgirl outfits and drove up to Tallahasse to be seen on TV, at FSU football games?

badger
8/5/2010, 10:54 AM
Quiet. Badger and I wanna see 'em.

Not me. I've buried the Favre jerseys somewhere in a closet or drawer in a place so buried that I will not be able to find them even if I'm looking for them. I am finished with Favre until he is finished with this nonsense

47straight
8/5/2010, 04:38 PM
1. Favre is a flat-out blast to watch. Something great or something terrible is going to happen.

2. Favre increases the chances of AD getting a ring.

3. I don't care about the chattering classes of ESPN, how many times they report on whether Favre will come back or not, nor how many times they editorialize that they are tired of being obsessed with whether Favre will come back or not (how about just stop being obsessed, you idiots?).

So I hope he comes back if he's healthy. No downside for me.

TexasLidig8r
8/6/2010, 08:32 AM
Wasn't Sterger the whore that dressed up in ridiculous Cowgirl outfits and drove up to Tallahasse to be seen on TV, at FSU football games?

DING DING DING...

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/bproctor0901/fsu-cowgirls-round-robin.gif

KC//CRIMSON
8/7/2010, 06:48 AM
How many true Viking fans are there in this thread? Me and RawlingsHOH? Anyone who actually watches the team knows that this pretty much shuts the window. We had a chance to win the SB this year with Favre, now it's 11-5 at best and a road game when things get tough in the postseason.

Oh well. Part of being a Viking fan. Like losing all your strike games in '87 and having to go to Washington for the NFC Title Game......

Vikings fan here, with the new additions on this year's roster, 11-5 without Favre is very possible. I just hope it doesn't jack with their psyche too much if he doesn't come back.

Having said that, Favre will be wearing purple again in a few weeks.

Crucifax Autumn
8/7/2010, 07:14 AM
I love AD and the Vikings, but I don't GAS as much as I want OU to dominate all year. Favre can suck it unless he's got a year of eligibility left and is planning on being a Sooner.

Crucifax Autumn
8/18/2010, 06:02 AM
And, big surprise, he's at training camp now! lol

Crucifax Autumn
8/18/2010, 06:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp10/news/story?id=5470904

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- Brett Favre is back in the building.

The 40-year-old quarterback returned to Minnesota on Tuesday, arriving in a private jet trimmed in the Vikings' purple and gold with three teammates -- guard Steve Hutchinson, defensive end Jared Allen and place-kicker Ryan Longwell -- who were sent to Hattiesburg, Miss., to bring him back for one more shot at a Super Bowl.

Longwell told ESPN's Rachel Nichols in a text message that Favre told the three he would play for the Vikings this season.

"We simply went down there to get an answer and after talking for a while, his answer was 'yes,'" Longwell said in the message. "He loves the guys in the locker room and is doing it for all of us."

This time around, Favre got a ride to Vikings headquarters from Longwell -- last year, when he joined Minnesota, head coach Brad Childress was at the wheel. Longwell's black BMW SUV was followed by three helicopters from local television stations and pulled into Vikings headquarters as dozens of fans cheered and photographers snapped pictures. At one point, Favre waved to the media and fans.

"Circus in Winter Park," tight end Visanthe Shiancoe tweeted.

Favre's website posted a message earlier saying "stay tuned for breaking news from the Minnesota Vikings today on Brett Favre's possible return."

"Brett Favre for President!!" receiver Bernard Berrian tweeted.

Presumably, Favre did not make the trip just to tell the Vikings he was retiring, but the team still had not given an official confirmation that the star quarterback will play this year. He is, however, under contract -- the second season in a two-year, $25 million deal.

"He didn't know we were coming," Longwell said in another text message to ESPN's Nichols. "We just asked if he had one more year. Not about wins or losses, but just for the guys in the locker room to have a blast for a year."

The Vikings issued a media schedule for Wednesday, announcing that Childress will hold his regular news conference following practice. The team also said that a "media availability with QB Brett Favre is to be determined."

Tarvaris Jackson was in line to be the starting quarterback if Favre had not returned, and he said after practice Tuesday that he wasn't bothered by hearing that some of his higher-profile teammates flew to Mississippi to try to woo Favre.

"I feel like if my number's called I'm going to be ready," Jackson said after practice. "And I'm going to continue to try to work hard and get better. That's all I can do."

The Vikings' urgency to get an answer from Favre turned to panic Monday when the quarterback was reluctant to report to the team this week and wouldn't give word if he was coming, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

Favre will turn 41 in October and has flirted with retirement for years while playing for the Green Bay Packers, the New York Jets and now the Vikings. He threw 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions last season to help Minnesota reach the NFC title game.

The three-time MVP has been thinking about retirement again this year after injuring his ankle in the NFC Championship Game loss to the New Orleans Saints in January. He had surgery on his left ankle in June and told teammates and some team officials earlier in August that it wasn't sufficiently healed enough for him to return for a 20th NFL season.

Yet no one in the organization has fully bought into that -- partly because the Vikings went through a similar ordeal in 2009.

Last year, Favre told the team on the eve of training camp that he was going to stay retired only to return the Tuesday after Minnesota's first preseason game. The Vikings played their first exhibition game of 2010, a 28-7 win over the St. Louis Rams, on Saturday.

Favre proved last year that he didn't need all that extra sweating in training camp, delivering one of his finest seasons to lead the Vikings to the brink of the Super Bowl.

He took a beating at the Superdome, yet still threw for 310 yards and a touchdown. But he also threw two interceptions, the last one in Saints territory at the end of regulation that cost the team a chance a game-winning field-goal try.

In many ways, the Vikings' offense is in more disarray than a year ago, and the team needed Favre as quickly as possible. Percy Harvin was away from July 31 until Monday because of the deaths of two people who were close to him and because of his migraine headaches.

Adrian Peterson has missed most of camp with a hamstring injury. Sidney Rice is sidelined with a hip problem.

Favre told ESPN's Ed Werder earlier this month that he will play this season if healthy. The quarterback, who had ankle surgery in May, met with Dr. James Andrews last week to try to determine why the ankle is still bothering him.

delhalew
8/18/2010, 08:07 AM
If jared Allen showed up at my house and informed me I was playing ball, I think I would find it difficult to disagree.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/18/2010, 08:25 AM
So is Bret Favre the Roger Clemens of Football?

CrimsonJim
8/18/2010, 08:29 AM
Nah, I think Roger Clemens was the Bret Favre of Baseball. ;)

C&CDean
8/18/2010, 09:09 AM
Alls I know is while I was doing an hour of cardio in the gym yesterday afternoon, all I saw on ESPIN was the same 3-4 shots from a helecopter of Favre arriving, etc. Then they're showing the SUV driving. I'm thinking "OJ?" Nothing else for a ****ing hour.

The only thing that can redeem Favre in my eyes is him going into the HOF in a Packer uni. If he goes in wearing purple, he is dead to me. **** the Viqueens.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/18/2010, 10:19 AM
So is Bret Favre the Roger Clemens of Football?

I've been saying this for a while...No allegiance to a team, just a hired gun with a over inflated ego and a strong arm...

TexasLidig8r
8/18/2010, 10:37 AM
I've been saying this for a while...No allegiance to a team, just a hired gun with a over inflated ego and a strong arm...

So..the White T.O. ?

badger
8/18/2010, 10:42 AM
Alls I know is while I was doing an hour of cardio in the gym yesterday afternoon, all I saw on ESPIN was the same 3-4 shots from a helecopter of Favre arriving, etc. Then they're showing the SUV driving. I'm thinking "OJ?" Nothing else for a ****ing hour.

The only thing that can redeem Favre in my eyes is him going into the HOF in a Packer uni. If he goes in wearing purple, he is dead to me. **** the Viqueens.

I have probably told this story a million times here, but I have two Favre jerseys - one was the one I wore to death in college and especially on every exam day, because I never failed an exam if I wore it :D

The other was a gift from the in-laws, so I can't get rid of it :D

Since Favre left, I buried both jerseys in my closets and haven't worn them since. However, since the NFL has started making girlie jerseys, I've now have a spakely light green Aaron Rodgers one and a tight fit Route 66 one :)

So... anyways, hope Favre doesn't win the Super Bowl with the Vikings, not only because that would mean that the Packers didn't win it this season, but also because like Deano suggested, it would probably lead Fav-ruh to go into the HOF wearing purple.

PS: Did you see that DirecTV ad with the Packer neighbors talking to the clergy about welcoming 49er fans to town? Love it :D

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 10:55 AM
PS: Did you see that DirecTV ad with the Packer neighbors talking to the clergy about welcoming 49er fans to town? Love it :D
She definitely sounded like she was from Wisc.

Scott D
8/18/2010, 12:16 PM
I'll say it...I wish the guy would get hit by a ****ing bus and die.

Even then the ****er would still probably come back as a zombie to skip training camp and play another season.

ashley
8/18/2010, 01:45 PM
I'll say it...I wish the guy would get hit by a ****ing bus and die.

Even then the ****er would still probably come back as a zombie to skip training camp and play another season.

I am sure you are kidding so just say so.

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 01:58 PM
it would probably lead Fav-ruh to go into the HOF wearing purple.

They all go in wearing a yellow sportcoat.

C&CDean
8/18/2010, 02:23 PM
I am sure you are kidding so just say so.

Nah, Scott wants all the whities to die a horrible death.

badger
8/18/2010, 03:16 PM
She definitely sounded like she was from Wisc.

Yes, that was my favorite part of the ad. I apparently sounded just as bad when I first moved down here.

I grew up convinced that I did not have an accent, that it was everyone else that did, not Wisconsinites. We spoke normally, everyone else spoke weird.

So young, so naive...

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 03:25 PM
Yes, that was my favorite part of the ad. I apparently sounded just as bad when I first moved down here.

I grew up convinced that I did not have an accent, that it was everyone else that did, not Wisconsinites. We spoke normally, everyone else spoke weird.

So young, so naive...
Right on. They think we sound like we think people from Minnesota sound like.

Though I still find it amusing, at work there is this old b**** with the thickest, dirtiest, West Texas accent, I have ever heard, and she has the gall to call to make fun of me about my accent.

I'm like, look lady, you're fat, and I can't even understand you!

badger
8/18/2010, 03:47 PM
It really depends on the size of the city you're from... and how much really think about how you sound.

I was from a town of about 100, went to school in a town of about 1,000 and the biggest city I frequented was about 10k.

Thus, everytime I get really tired, surrounded by fellow Wisconsinites or am partially inebriated, I tend to have a really, really thick northern accent, worse than the lady in that ad.

Mississippi Sooner
8/18/2010, 03:50 PM
Oh yah, you betcha!

I guess that's more Minnesota, though. Huh?

Mad Dog Madsen
8/18/2010, 03:58 PM
I LOVE BRETT FAVRE!!!

Scott D
8/18/2010, 03:58 PM
Nah, Scott wants all the whities to die a horrible death.

not all whities, just that primadonna diva mother****er. I still stand by the fact that I have my doubts that even his rotting corpse would be able to retire.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/18/2010, 04:26 PM
what scares me is that somebody will put him in the booth once he does retire..you know that he can't be out of the spotlight completely

Crucifax Autumn
8/18/2010, 04:32 PM
As medicated as he'll be after yet another body abusing season it might just be entertaining.

badger
8/18/2010, 04:44 PM
what scares me is that somebody will put him in the booth once he does retire..you know that he can't be out of the spotlight completely

Even after 20 years playing in the north he still is difficult to understand with his thick Mississippi accent, so I don't think he's suited for the booth

Mississippi Sooner
8/18/2010, 04:51 PM
Even after 20 years playing in the north he still is difficult to understand with his thick Mississippi accent, so I don't think he's suited for the booth

I don't think it's his accent so much as the fact that he mumbles. Of course, that could be the pain killers and beer.

rawlingsHOH
8/18/2010, 04:59 PM
As medicated as he'll be after yet another body abusing season it might just be entertaining.

Yeah, see Namath v. Kolber!