PDA

View Full Version : Capel one of top coaches under 40

Mad Dog Madsen
8/3/2010, 09:35 AM
I like the buzz on Coach Capel... I think he'll have this program back to it's winning ways.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1108344

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 11:43 AM
Based on what he's done as a coach at OU, I can't agree. His recruiting has been absolutely terrible. He won his two big years with mostly Kelvin Sampson players.

Serge Ibaka
8/3/2010, 01:34 PM
Maybe if this list had come out right before the OU-hire...

I like Capel, and I won't give up on him yet. But he's been pretty disappointing aside from the times that he had Blake Griffin to dunk the ball on everybody's head.

Things can only go up from here though. Right?

badger
8/3/2010, 02:21 PM
What people are now saying about Blake Griffin being the cause of Capel's success, people once said about Stacey Dales and Sherri Coale.

After three miserable endings to CP3's first three years at OU, people were ready to sign off Coale as a one-hit wonder that couldn't even get OU back to the Final Four with arguably the best player in womens college basketball. It was all Stacey the first time, naysayers said. It wasn't Sherri, it was her players.

So anyways, don't sign off on Capel just yet. It took Sherri seven years to get back to the Final Four, but then only took a year to return after that. Capel's got a good head on his shoulders, some decent players in the program that are dedicated to the team and a good fanbase and athletic department to support him and his players.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't call the years with the Paris sisters miserable. I hate WBB and they were pretty fun to watch and won NCAA Tournament games those 4 years. We've not even had post season games half the time Capel has been here.

badger
8/3/2010, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't call the years with the Paris sisters miserable. I hate WBB and they were pretty fun to watch and won NCAA Tournament games those 4 years. We've not even had post season games half the time Capel has been here.

Misery = Early exits in tournaments.

And yes, they were early. After that 20-0 start, we were expecting at least the final four.

I imagine fan misery wasn't anywhere close to player misery though. If we expected Final Four, they probably expected a title :(

Mad Dog Madsen
8/3/2010, 04:07 PM
2010-11 Oklahoma Men's Basketball Schedule

Date Opponent Site
Nov. 2 Northern State (exhibition) Norman
Nov. 12 Coppin State Norman
Nov. 15 North Carolina Central Norman
Nov. 18 Texas Southern Norman
Nov. 22 at EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Lahaina, Hawaii
Nov. 23 at EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Lahaina, Hawaii
Nov. 24 at EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Lahaina, Hawaii
Dec. 1 at Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark.
Dec. 5 at Arizona (Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series) Tucson, Ariz.
Dec. 9 Gardner-Webb Norman
Dec. 11 Oral Roberts Norman
Dec. 18 vs. Cincinnati (All-College Classic) Oklahoma City
Dec. 21 Sacramento State Norman
Dec. 30 Central Arkansas Norman
Jan. 3 Maryland Eastern Shore Norman
Jan. 8 Texas A&M Norman
Jan. 12 at Baylor Waco, Texas
Jan. 15 at Texas Austin, Texas
Jan. 18 Texas Tech Norman
Jan. 22 Colorado Norman
Jan. 29 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa
Feb. 1 Baylor Norman
Feb. 5 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla.
Feb. 9 Texas Norman
Feb. 12 at Missouri Columbia, Mo.
Feb. 16 Nebraska Norman
Feb. 19 at Kansas State Manhattan, Kan.
Feb. 23 at Texas A&M College Station, Texas
Feb. 26 Kansas Norman
March 2 at Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas
March 5 Oklahoma State Norman
March 9-12 at Big 12 Championship Kansas City, Mo.

So... how many games will we win this year?!? I'm very optimistic and I think Capel and Co. may surprise ALOT of people this year.

Serge Ibaka
8/3/2010, 04:19 PM
So... how many games will we win this year?!? I'm very optimistic and I think Capel and Co. may surprise ALOT of people this year.

So, let me get this straight: our best player is going to be Cade Davis?

No offense to Cade, of course. But it will take a little more for me to start feeling even a twinge of optimism.

badger
8/3/2010, 05:59 PM

No offense to Cade, of course. But it will take a little more for me to start feeling even a twinge of optimism.

Cade Davis is hot.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/65505/kadedavis.jpg
Hey hey sexy shooter :D

Eielson
8/3/2010, 07:02 PM
We should have a hottest of OU men's basketball.

Eielson
8/3/2010, 07:03 PM

I doubt that will be the case.

SicEmBaylor
8/4/2010, 11:59 PM
I like the buzz on #2 on that list.

Eielson
8/5/2010, 12:17 AM
I like the buzz on #2 on that list.

He won't make this list next year! :P

pilobolus
8/6/2010, 03:09 PM
2010-11 Oklahoma Men's Basketball Schedule

Date Opponent Site
Nov. 2 Northern State (exhibition) Norman
Nov. 12 Coppin State Norman
Nov. 15 North Carolina Central Norman
Nov. 18 Texas Southern Norman
Nov. 22 at EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Lahaina, Hawaii
Nov. 23 at EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Lahaina, Hawaii
Nov. 24 at EA SPORTS Maui Invitational Lahaina, Hawaii
Dec. 1 at Arkansas Fayetteville, Ark.
Dec. 5 at Arizona (Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series) Tucson, Ariz.
Dec. 9 Gardner-Webb Norman
Dec. 11 Oral Roberts Norman
Dec. 18 vs. Cincinnati (All-College Classic) Oklahoma City
Dec. 21 Sacramento State Norman
Dec. 30 Central Arkansas Norman
Jan. 3 Maryland Eastern Shore Norman
Jan. 8 Texas A&M Norman
Jan. 12 at Baylor Waco, Texas
Jan. 15 at Texas Austin, Texas
Jan. 18 Texas Tech Norman
Jan. 22 Colorado Norman
Jan. 29 at Iowa State Ames, Iowa
Feb. 1 Baylor Norman
Feb. 5 at Oklahoma State Stillwater, Okla.
Feb. 9 Texas Norman
Feb. 12 at Missouri Columbia, Mo.
Feb. 16 Nebraska Norman
Feb. 19 at Kansas State Manhattan, Kan.
Feb. 23 at Texas A&M College Station, Texas
Feb. 26 Kansas Norman
March 2 at Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas
March 5 Oklahoma State Norman
March 9-12 at Big 12 Championship Kansas City, Mo.

I see somewhere around 11-21 overall, and that's being generous. Fortunately that should be bad enough to get rid of Capel and allow OU to find a good coach.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/6/2010, 03:27 PM
I see somewhere around 11-21 overall, and that's being generous. Fortunately that should be bad enough to get rid of Capel and allow OU to find a good coach.

What are you a horn fan?!? STFU!!!

Eielson
8/6/2010, 04:08 PM
What are you a horn fan?!? STFU!!!

He's a moron. I guess we'll just have to get used to it. He's not the first one.

the_ouskull
8/6/2010, 05:24 PM
Only four of those coaches are at programs that could even be considered the caliber - or near it - of OU... and two of those are Butler and Baylor. Draw your own conclusions.

And now a question... Why are there still cavemen on my television outside of the History Channel? I hate advertising.

the_ouskull

Collier11
8/6/2010, 05:51 PM
OU Men will have a winning record, mark it down. There is something to be said for hard working players that play the right way and it looks like the team will be just that. It may just be 17-15 but we will have a winning record

BTW, any word on Clark?

ndpruitt03
8/6/2010, 05:54 PM
Clark is in. Looks like Newell will be in also. It's not 100% for Newell but it's about like 80%.

Collier11
8/6/2010, 06:16 PM
thank goodness, we really need Clark, Newell would help too but Clark is a must

cheezyq
8/9/2010, 01:36 AM
Based on what he's done as a coach at OU, I can't agree. His recruiting has been absolutely terrible. He won his two big years with mostly Kelvin Sampson players.

This kind of comment reflects a complete lack of understanding, to be frank. That article made a point that I think people who don't know much about basketball don't see in Capel - he's an underrated sideline coach. While he's made some mistakes during games that he appears to have learned from, watching his teams during a close game...I am far more confident that he can get the team to pull out the win than any other coach I've watched for OU. I think he game-plans very well and has a good feel for the flow of the game.

While Blake was great, Capel was masterful in how he used him to get the team wins. It wasn't just Blake taking over every game and dunking on guys. If that was the case, Blake probably averages 30 ppg, 12 rpg, and fouls out half the games, and we probably lose a lot more. He brought out the team element in a player that COULD have focused on himself. I'm not knocking Blake either. A guy that has that kind of talent AND is teachable makes him as great as he is.

Regarding recruiting, however, I'm actually more concerned about that part of him. I think his youth helps, but he's got to learn to bring in guys who not only have talent, but character. I think that this predicament he's in right now has taught him a HUGE lesson, and I imagine it will only make him a better coach. A lot also depends on how real these KG allegations are, too.

King Crimson
8/9/2010, 07:54 AM
i don't think recruiting is Jeff's problem.

i think he's got something to prove to OU fans after last year and the Tiny/TMG thing, but I like JC. not sure we defend the "motion offense" worth a lick, though. I think Kelvin may have spoiled us in that regard. i was never comfortable with TMG being the #1 scoring option, honestly. who cares if he gets his 23 ppg and we lose by 10.

cheezyq
8/10/2010, 02:02 AM
i don't think recruiting is Jeff's problem.

I don't necessarily think it is either. But if I were to question anything right now, I'd question his recruiting simply because of last season's disaster and the KG allegations.

I know everyone wants results, but I think in the long run Capel will be in the conversation for top coaches in the college ranks. It's short-sighted to rule him out because of one bad season, or even the mess that Sampson left behind. It's lazy to see just the overall results from the first 2 years and the mess from last year and chalk it up to him being a bad coach without considering the reasons WHY those seasons turned out the way they did.

stoopified
8/24/2010, 03:15 PM
What people are now saying about Blake Griffin being the cause of Capel's success, people once said about Stacey Dales and Sherri Coale.

After three miserable endings to CP3's first three years at OU, people were ready to sign off Coale as a one-hit wonder that couldn't even get OU back to the Final Four with arguably the best player in womens college basketball. It was all Stacey the first time, naysayers said. It wasn't Sherri, it was her players.

So anyways, don't sign off on Capel just yet. It took Sherri seven years to get back to the Final Four, but then only took a year to return after that. Capel's got a good head on his shoulders, some decent players in the program that are dedicated to the team and a good fanbase and athletic department to support him and his players.Bingo.I laugh when people say so and so only won because of this or that player.Billy only won because he had Wayman,Choo,Stacy,Tmac,Grant,Price,etc.

For al the grief Capel has gotten here is his record after 4 years compared to Tubbs aand Sampson (the two winningest coaches in OU history).

Tubbs 84-43
Capel 82-46
Sampson 81-44
Tubbs had WT for 2 of those first 4 years,as Capel had Blake.

Mad Dog Madsen
8/25/2010, 04:49 PM
^^^THIS. All the Capel hater's need to read this. ...Coach Capel is gonna surprise alot of people this year. I'm tellin ya, just wait and see!

StoopTroup
8/25/2010, 04:52 PM
I thought this was going to be about under 40 wins...

stoopified
9/3/2010, 05:49 PM
OU Men will have a winning record, mark it down. There is something to be said for hard working players that play the right way and it looks like the team will be just that. It may just be 17-15 but we will have a winning record

BTW, any word on Clark?Real close to my pick of 18-14.

Serge Ibaka
9/5/2010, 10:46 AM
Only slightly OT:

I read somewhere that Texas wasn't even interested in offering Willie Warren a scholarship.

I often hear the sentiment that Capel is just having bad-luck with some of his big-time recruits, but is it possible that many of them are just bad-eggs that other premier programs wouldn't have wanted in the first place?

stoopified
9/6/2010, 03:35 PM
Only slightly OT:

I read somewhere that Texas wasn't even interested in offering Willie Warren a scholarship.

I often hear the sentiment that Capel is just having bad-luck with some of his big-time recruits, but is it possible that many of them are just bad-eggs that other premier programs wouldn't have wanted in the first place?There are a lot of teams out there that DID offer Warren( not to mention Tiny and TMG).Every coach out there takes chances on players who may have attitude issues,grade issues.or even charadter issues, among those programs are UT,Kentucky,Louiville,Cincinatti,KU, and numerous others.Capel is not alone in thinking that he can help a young man with personal issues.