This is 50-41

http://espn.go.com/college-football/features/houseofpain

rawlingsHOH
8/2/2010, 10:44 PM
No opinion, I was born in 78.

Sooner04
8/2/2010, 11:16 PM
Will the '88 final be on there? ;)

Seriously, Nebraska's last two wins against us in that decade were daggers. Sure, our wins over them in '72 (Devaney's last home game), '75, '77 and '79 hurt them, but we were the best team in the country in '71 and '78. Each loss cost us a national championship.

Our '71 loss has got to be WAY up there. Mildren overthrowing Harrison.....

Little known fact about the '78 game: there are still pieces of Kelly Phelps's spleen splattered along the bowl of Lincoln's Memorial Stadium.

Tigeman
8/3/2010, 12:07 AM
Oh boy, here we go..... more boise state crap to come!

PDXsooner
8/3/2010, 12:18 AM
How about Oregon? Not so much because there was a lot on the line, but simply the way we were bent over, absolutely jack-hammered from behind with no lube, and we had no choice but to take it.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 12:23 AM
Not too painful in hindsight with Oregon. Sure, we got screwed, but we still pulled our **** together and made it to a BCS bowl (albeit with a complete choke job from those folks down south).

Now, the Boise game......

Tigeman
8/3/2010, 12:29 AM
Now, the Boise game......

We will never live this down! :O

OUstud
8/3/2010, 01:55 AM
I bet the 2001 Aggy game will be on there...

Eielson
8/3/2010, 02:08 AM
Boise State will probably be one of the highest on there, and I'm for some reason going to have to make myself suffer through reading it. The Oregon game was probably the most painful feeling I've ever gotten from watching a sports game immediately post-game, but like 04 said, our season turned around. Oregon on the other hand went to crap. In fact, that whole football program took a step back.

What do you guys thing the top one will be?

Collier11
8/3/2010, 02:17 AM
Neb with the failed GW attempt with the Natl title on the line?

josh09
8/3/2010, 03:09 AM
Us and oregon, or us and boise st??

budbarrybob
8/3/2010, 03:13 AM
Or US vs TT. The year we got screwed in Lubbock...

oudavid1
8/3/2010, 05:25 AM
Oregon, 01 aggies, 05 TCU, Oregon again, and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and then i go back to counting our championships.

soonerfromgeorgia
8/3/2010, 05:44 AM
How about last season vs. BYU at the Jerry's World? That was painful for me because our coaches didn't have the team ready and once Sam went down, the boys folded IMO.

Sooner in Tampa
8/3/2010, 05:47 AM
Oregon stings...but nothing like a lose to the bugeaters

I was 11 when Billy fumbled that ball......that **** still hurts

IronHorseSooner
8/3/2010, 07:24 AM
I bet the tOSU v. thUg MNC game is in the top 5. Even though I despise them, they got screwed in that one.

OKLA21FAN
8/3/2010, 07:48 AM
Little known fact about the '78 game: there are still pieces of Kelly Phelps's spleen splattered along the bowl of Lincoln's Memorial Stadium.worst kick off return evar! :pop:

Hot Rod
8/3/2010, 08:04 AM
65-13 comes to mind.

Spray
8/3/2010, 08:07 AM
15-15

badger
8/3/2010, 08:35 AM
The Boise loss wasn't painful. We already won the Big 12 and it wasn't for the crystal ball. The only ones that care about that game anymore are Boise and ESPN. Woo hoo.

Games that come to mind that were more painful in the last ten years are the three national title games we didn't win, the 2001 Bedl@m game that would have led us to the Big 12 game and ultimately, the BCS title game, and perhaps the 2003 Big 12 game.

There's five games more painful than Boise. If they choose Boise, they fail at this.

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2010, 08:41 AM
15-15

This.

Also known as OU-15 whorns-12 Refs-3

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 08:44 AM
15-15
Absolutely the FIRST thing I thought of when I read this thread.

:)

SunnySooner
8/3/2010, 08:49 AM
I bet App. St. beating Meatchicken is pretty close to the top, if not #1. That was just a knife to the heart of a traditional CFB powerhouse, I still don't think they've gotten over that. I'll take our loss to Boise over that kind of humiliation, at home, anyday. Imagine losing to Idaho State, season opener, at home, ~~~~shudder~~~~, I'd need serious meds to get over something like that.

MojoRisen
8/3/2010, 08:57 AM
What about the washington loss? That was for all the marbles.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 09:11 AM
I bet App. St. beating Meatchicken is pretty close to the top, if not #1. That was just a knife to the heart of a traditional CFB powerhouse, I still don't think they've gotten over that. I'll take our loss to Boise over that kind of humiliation, at home, anyday. Imagine losing to Idaho State, season opener, at home, ~~~~shudder~~~~, I'd need serious meds to get over something like that.
Not even close to the same thing. App State is a powerhouse in their division. Idaho State is not.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/3/2010, 09:25 AM
15-15

If a tie is like kissing your sister, 15-15 (or 15-12-3) is like watching your sister get gang-raped in the boiler room at Shawshank by your best friend who's wearing a Texas shirt and cackling maniacally about how your wife and daughter are next.

badger
8/3/2010, 10:25 AM
I bet App. St. beating Meatchicken is pretty close to the top, if not #1.

I heard Stoops used Michigan as motivation for our players after that embarrassment. "Do you want to end up like Michigan?!" :D

For any Michigan lurkers, yes, we know you're the all-time winningest program and you just embiggened your Big House. You are slightly awesome in that regard, just not as awesome as OU :D

As long as we're on the discussion, any nominees for most painful loss for each (current) Big 12 program? Since I'm a n00b, I'll just take games from this past decade.

Nebbish: Many nominees, I'll take 45-14 loss to Poke at home, the one that pushed the Huskers to fire Steve Pederson, later Callahan, and beg Ozzy outta retirement.

Colorado: 70-3 Big 12 championship loss to Texas, the one that caused them to fire girl-kicker-hater, even though he was named Big 12 Coach of the Year.

Mizzou: Big 12 loss to us, the one that could have put them in the title game, gotten them their first Big 12 crown in football and really put their program on the map. Instead, Chase ate boogers and rode Lofton's back.

KU: Loss to Mizzou that same season that would have kept their undefeated season undefeated, gotten them to the Big 12 title game and with a victory over OU, to the national title game. The Mizzou loss brought the dream run to an end, but at least they got the Orange Bowl outta it. What did Mizzou get? :D

Kansas State: Fiesta Bowl. Their starting quarterback has off-field issues and they blow their big chance. They've been begging to go to a BCS game for years and getting denied often, so what do they do once they get there? Lol.

Iowa State: I don't remember the opponent, but they were once one victory away from going to their first Big 12 title game and they lost and Colorado went on to lose to us instead. That had to hurt?

Pokes: 26-0, or the loss earlier in the season to UT. So much for a dream season to vie for the Big 12 South.

Tech: 65-21. So much for a dream season to vie for the Big 12 South.

A&M: 77-0. The loss was so bad that Franchione said he wept after the game. The loss was so bad that even Aggie faithful didn't call it "getting outscored." Hell, it was so bad Aggies, who never leave and never sit down during games, sat down or left during the game!

UT: I am tempted to go with one of the RRS losses, but I think last year's Bammer championship game loss stung more. They really looked like they had a chance to get the crystal ball if Colt didn't go down.

OU: It would hurt too much to mention the game that must not ever be mentioned again :(

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Baylor's in our conference... um... no clue. The overtime loss to us at Owen Field in 2005? Sure, let's go with that.

HBick
8/3/2010, 12:47 PM
Game of the Century II is between 40-31

OKLA21FAN
8/3/2010, 12:51 PM
A&M: 77-0. The loss was so bad that Franchione said he wept after the game. The loss was so bad that even Aggie faithful didn't call it "getting outscored." Hell, it was so bad Aggies, who never leave and never sit down during games, sat down or left during the game!

The loss was so bad that both coaches agreed to have a 'running clock' for the final quarter. (first time i have ever seen this done in D1a football)

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 12:54 PM
"There was no magic today. We dominated this game from start to finish!"

---Barry Switzer: November 21, 1987

Jacie
8/3/2010, 01:40 PM
OUr pain is their joy.

To wit, OU@NU, 1978.

Coach Tom Osborne stood at 0-5 against archrival Oklahoma when his No. 4 Nebraska team took on the No. 1 Sooners in Lincoln. Barry Switzer later said the '78 Sooners may have been his best team. But the Blackshirts defense forced nine fumbles and recovered six. The last one came courtesy of Heisman winner-to-be Billy Sims at the Nebraska 3-yard line with 3:27 to play. Last year, Huskers fans voted this one their favorite among the 300 consecutive sellouts at Memorial Stadium.

Sooners 14

nebbish 17

And I didn't care that we got a do-over in the Orange Bowl. That game didn't count for as much as the one OU lost.

Salt City Sooner
8/3/2010, 02:00 PM
What about the washington loss? That was for all the marbles.Only if we had won by 14 or more, & considering how bad our offense was in '84, I personally wasn't holding my breath on that one.

badger
8/3/2010, 02:03 PM
The loss was so bad that both coaches agreed to have a 'running clock' for the final quarter. (first time i have ever seen this done in D1a football)

i forgot about that. we were taking so many knees and grass dives up the middle for losses that the clock seemed to go slower. but yeah, that game has to make the list because before then, A&M thought they had a guy that could take them to a level that :rcmad: was supposed to (i.e. the "beat texas" level, I guess???). They might have beaten Texas under Franny, but they never beat us... not even with a two touchdown lead off of faked field goals and punts at home the year after 77-0.

Oh yeah, and the game where the 12th man literally lost the game :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/290293900_78e433f1df.jpg

cheezyq
8/3/2010, 02:16 PM
I bet the tOSU v. thUg MNC game is in the top 5. Even though I despise them, they got screwed in that one.

There was an equally questionable PI call against OSU in regulation that took the game to OT in the first place. I don't really think thugU got screwed in that game. It all evens out in the end.

cheezyq
8/3/2010, 02:23 PM
Kansas State: Fiesta Bowl. Their starting quarterback has off-field issues and they blow their big chance. They've been begging to go to a BCS game for years and getting denied often, so what do they do once they get there? Lol.

Close, but the Big 12 CCG that year vs. ATM would have put them in the BCS championship. That was such a glorious day when they lost. To this day all KSU fans say that their team just didn't have the heart to compete in the Fiesta because they were dreaming of a national championship.

:rolleyes:

In reality it's just misdirection to keep them from accepting the fact that they simply suck.

josh09
8/3/2010, 03:37 PM
i forgot about that. we were taking so many knees and grass dives up the middle for losses that the clock seemed to go slower. but yeah, that game has to make the list because before then, A&M thought they had a guy that could take them to a level that :rcmad: was supposed to (i.e. the "beat texas" level, I guess???). They might have beaten Texas under Franny, but they never beat us... not even with a two touchdown lead off of faked field goals and punts at home the year after 77-0.

Oh yeah, and the game where the 12th man literally lost the game :D

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/120/290293900_78e433f1df.jpg

I was at this game. I died laughing for about 10 minutes after the call was made! Didn't exactly make a lot of friends by doing that in Aggieland, though.... :D

Leroy Lizard
8/3/2010, 03:56 PM
UT: I am tempted to go with one of the RRS losses, but I think last year's Bammer championship game loss stung more. They really looked like they had a chance to get the crystal ball if Colt didn't go down.

Nope. The loss to Georgia.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 03:59 PM
'83?

What about the loss to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl after the '77 season? Both losses cost Freddy Akers a national championship.

Leroy Lizard
8/3/2010, 04:02 PM
As for OU, there was a certain game against Notre Dame that ended our streak...

texas bandman
8/3/2010, 04:11 PM
For me it was the Game of the Century in '71. That cold day in Norman will always be painful. I'm still yelling at the refs to this day.

The other most painful was definitely Oregon. I did almost threw a beer through the TV screen.

Pricetag
8/3/2010, 04:23 PM
Close, but the Big 12 CCG that year vs. ATM would have put them in the BCS championship. That was such a glorious day when they lost. To this day all KSU fans say that their team just didn't have the heart to compete in the Fiesta because they were dreaming of a national championship.

In reality it's just misdirection to keep them from accepting the fact that they simply suck.
Yes, the 1998 Big 12 Championship was their worst loss, no question. They'd have gone from the outhouse to the penthouse in less than ten years with a win against A&M.

The didn't even get a BCS bowl that year--they ended up in the Alamo bowl, where they lost.

badger
8/3/2010, 04:33 PM

I only did games from the last 10 years or so

badger
8/3/2010, 04:35 PM
The other most painful was definitely Oregon. I did almost threw a beer through the TV screen.

I was trying to tell NP that it would get overturned, no worries, then I was trying to tell him that we were gonna make the field goal, no worries.

Then, NP was so angry at me that he left the apartment we were watching the game at for like 20 minutes.

Less than a year later, he still married me though :D I now keep my reassuring chick football comments to myself though, lest we have more ref screwjobbin'

Fraggle145
8/3/2010, 04:41 PM

Dammit I was going to say this... and then Leroy had to go and fag it up. :mad:

Salt City Sooner
8/3/2010, 04:42 PM

Pretty sure Badg is talking about KSU's loss to tOSU in the '04 Fiesta, when Ell Roberson got caught with his pants down a night or 2 before the game & came within an eyelash of getting busted for sexual assualt. They definitely played very distracted.

'83?

What about the loss to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl after the '77 season? Both losses cost Freddy Akers a national championship.
They did both cost UT NC's but if I were in their fans shoes, '83 would hurt far worse. Notre Dame handed UT their butts in that Cotton Bowl, while UGA beat them by 1 by cashing in a muffed punt with less than 5 minutes to go.

FWIW, I'm no 'horn fan, but I have to give it up to that year's UT D. They were DANG good.

oudavid1
8/3/2010, 08:08 PM
For me it was the Game of the Century in '71. That cold day in Norman will always be painful. I'm still yelling at the refs to this day.

My principal/good friends dad walked to the side of his house and hyperventilated.

I was 14 so i did the same thing i did when we lost to florida, went to sleep

MeMyself&Me
8/4/2010, 08:48 AM
Too many of these games are too recent for me to take this 'all time' list seriously.

Mississippi Sooner
8/4/2010, 09:25 AM
Too many of these games are too recent for me to take this 'all time' list seriously.

I thought the same thing. The list may get more expansive as it goes on, but I wouldn't count on it. ESPN pretty much tries to push the idea that all the greatest sports moments have happened since they've been on the air.

badger
8/4/2010, 10:44 AM
I thought the same thing. The list may get more expansive as it goes on, but I wouldn't count on it. ESPN pretty much tries to push the idea that all the greatest sports moments have happened since they've been on the air.

All the best players too :D

But then again, since misery loves company, perhaps losses were more miserable when more people witnessed the misery. Maybe it was harder to take when the stadium held 85k instead of 70k. Maybe it was harder to take when you were watching the game instead of listening to Bob Barry. Thoughts?

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 10:48 AM
losses hurt more when i was younger. the 71 neb game was a killer.

the 77 tejas game also.

being a season ticket holder all thru the 90s maybe made me tuffer.

5 losses last year would have been a killer in my younger days.

Mississippi Sooner
8/4/2010, 10:59 AM
All the best players too :D

But then again, since misery loves company, perhaps losses were more miserable when more people witnessed the misery. Maybe it was harder to take when the stadium held 85k instead of 70k. Maybe it was harder to take when you were watching the game instead of listening to Bob Barry. Thoughts?

I'll be honest, one of the most painful Sooner games of the 1970s to me, Game of the Century and the '78 Nebraska game not withstanding, was Kansas in 1975. That game couldn't be televised because of probation, but of course it wouldn't have been anyway, back then.

I still remember listening to every down of that game on the radio and the way I felt like I was kicked in the guts the closer it got to the end. I wasn't around for the magical run of 47 straight, but that was still the first outright loss we'd had in a long time.

Ultimately it didn't matter since it all worked out in the end and won a share of the title anyway, but I'll never forget my mother telling my dad, "I think that boy has lost his religion."

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 11:05 AM
OU won the whole thing, in 75.

off probation as reg. season ended.

actually probation was 73 & 74.
but they were on tv in 73 because contracts were already signed.

Mississippi Sooner
8/4/2010, 11:17 AM
OU won the whole thing, in 75.

off probation as reg. season ended.

actually probation was 73 & 74.
but they were on tv in 73 because contracts were already signed.

Yeah, I got 74 and 75 mixed up on the split thing. 74 was when we "shared" it with USC because of the coaches poll policy.

On an unrelated side note, I'm pretty sure it was in 75 when The Sporting News actually gave their version of the title to Arizona State. That was one of the catalysts behind the Pac-8 inviting ASU and Arizona into the league.

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 11:21 AM
seems like there's always someone giving the MNC to others.

i think if you check(i'm too lazy) AR didn't get the AP or UPI in 64, but they should've.
(just going by memory, which obviously ain't that good)

that's how alabama got 13 titles.

PDXsooner
8/4/2010, 11:22 AM
It seemed like from 2006 until now all of our losses are painful and close. Oregon by 1*, Boise St by 1, Colorado by 3. Hell, look at last year, Miami by 1, BYU by 1, Texas by 3, Nebraska by 7.

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 11:23 AM
the one @ TTU was hurtful.

Mississippi Sooner
8/4/2010, 11:29 AM
seems like there's always someone giving the MNC to others.

i think if you check(i'm too lazy) AR didn't get the AP or UPI in 64, but they should've.
(just going by memory, which obviously ain't that good)

that's how alabama got 13 titles.

Yep, 64 was when Bama lost their bowl and Arkansas won theirs but, because the poll was taken before the bowls were played, Bama was the MNC.

Taking the final poll before the bowls were played was always stupid, but as someone here recently pointed out, OU would have one less championship if they'd always done the final poll after the bowls.

NMSooner'80
8/4/2010, 01:32 PM
That will be interesting when they get to the Top 10. I'll be shocked if they don't rate the Fiasco Bowl (OU-Potato Aggy) as more meaningful than Michigan-Appy State.

The Appalachian State win at the "Big House" was far more of an upset, and I'm still not that convinced that BSU should have been the underdog in our game. But for some reason, that debacle is still treated like it's a bigger deal than some honest-to-goodness shockers. My best guess is that ESPN and its ilk still think of OU in more negative terms, based on stuff like the four-man crime wave of 1989, than they do with Michigan (which is a goody-two-shoes school by comparison).

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 01:37 PM
Didnt we have an embarrassing loss to the Pigs in a bowl game or something?

Mississippi Sooner
8/4/2010, 01:45 PM
Didnt we have an embarrassing loss to the Pigs in a bowl game or something?

The Rooster's Pigs, no less. :mad:

Collier11
8/4/2010, 10:34 PM
40-31

http://espn.go.com/college-football/features/houseofpain/_/n/30

#32 :D

Collier11
8/4/2010, 10:34 PM
30-21

TexasLidig8r
8/5/2010, 08:24 AM
HOLY COW!!!

What happened after Game No. 26.

Talk about fate. :eek:

Mississippi Sooner
8/5/2010, 08:50 AM
HOLY COW!!!

What happened after Game No. 26.

Talk about fate. :eek:

No kidding. That's a bit of college football trivia I never knew.

Big Red Ron
8/5/2010, 09:43 AM
77-0 comes to mind

The Remnant
8/5/2010, 11:12 AM
Living in Socal it was the '81 loss to SC. I hate those bastards.

badger
8/5/2010, 11:18 AM
11 is game of the century :(

Lott's Bandana
8/5/2010, 11:40 AM

^^^ this

Mississippi Sooner
8/5/2010, 11:52 AM
They say that no one left the stadium for a long time on that afternoon back in 1957. They just sat there in stunned silence. That must have been a surrealistic scene.

sooner518
8/5/2010, 11:56 AM
for those of us who have ESPN blocked at work, can you copy/paste some of these articles?

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 11:59 AM
this list was way off at first, but seems to have gotten a little better..nice to see they recognize that college football was played before 1988

badger
8/5/2010, 12:27 PM
for those of us who have ESPN blocked at work, can you copy/paste some of these articles?

#11:

Irresistible vs. Immovable

Nebraska
Oklahoma

Nov. 25, 1971: Somebody had to lose what was billed as the Game of the Century -- a game many still consider the greatest in college football history. Brilliantly played, huge stakes, No. 1 vs. No. 2, Thanksgiving Day audience … wrong result for the Sooners. Second-ranked Oklahoma rallied from a 28-17 deficit for a 31-28 lead with seven minutes left, but No. 1 Nebraska responded with a 12-play, 74-yard TD drive to win the game. The defeat added another year to Oklahoma's national title drought since Bud Wilkinson won in 1956.

badger
8/5/2010, 12:28 PM
#32:

Game Of The Century II

Oklahoma
Nebraska

Nov. 21, 1987: Nebraska was ranked No. 1. Oklahoma was No. 2. It was billed as the "Game of the Century II." The Cornhuskers took a 7-0 lead on Keith Jones' 25-yard touchdown run but crossed midfield only twice more against the Sooners' menacing defense. The Cornhuskers were held to only 235 yards of offense, 289 less than their season average. Behind freshman QB Charles Thompson, the Sooners ran away with a 17-7 victory. The Sooners took over the No. 1 ranking before losing to Miami 20-14 in the Orange Bowl.

badger
8/5/2010, 12:28 PM
#38 (I called it!)

Kick And A Pick

Missouri
Iowa State

Nov. 27, 2004: The Cyclones were one victory from playing in the Big 12 championship game. They tied the score at 14-14 in the fourth quarter and had a chance to win the game near the end of regulation. But walk-on kicker Bret Culbertson missed a 24-yard field goal try. The Tigers kicked a 25-yard field goal in overtime and then intercepted a pass in the end zone for a 17-14 victory. Iowa State shared the Big 12 North title with Colorado, which played in the Big 12 championship game.

badger
8/5/2010, 12:29 PM
#43:

Fumbled Away

Nebraska
Oklahoma

Nov. 11, 1978: Coach Tom Osborne stood at 0-5 against archrival Oklahoma when his No. 4 Nebraska team took on the No. 1 Sooners in Lincoln. Barry Switzer later said the '78 Sooners may have been his best team. But the Blackshirts defense forced nine fumbles and recovered six. The last one came courtesy of Heisman winner-to-be Billy Sims at the Nebraska 3-yard line with 3:27 to play. Last year, Huskers fans voted this one their favorite among the 300 consecutive sellouts at Memorial Stadium.

stoopified
8/5/2010, 12:56 PM
31-6 loss to Arky in '78 OB.20-14 loss to the Buffs in 1972(proably cost us a shot at the NC).7-7 loss to USC in 1973(cost us an NC) .

OK2U
8/5/2010, 01:00 PM

One way to get around blocked sites in most offices is to do a google search for the site, ESPN, and click on the "cached" link below the site's description.

sooner518
8/5/2010, 01:29 PM
One way to get around blocked sites in most offices is to do a google search for the site, ESPN, and click on the "cached" link below the site's description.

that works somewhat, but I cant click on any of the links or it links me to the real version of the page and blocks it. alot of the pictures are blocked too. but worth a shot. i guess i really only want to know about OU games on the list....

The Remnant
8/5/2010, 01:53 PM
November 8, 1975.

Sooner Among The Pack
8/5/2010, 01:55 PM
Like most, I know that Boise will be in the top 10. But for me, enrolling in 2000, the most painful loss by a large margin is the 2003 Big XII title game.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 02:03 PM
if we are just talking OU, for me personally the LSU loss in the Sugar Bowl was the most painful...play calling in the end was brutal and admittedly so by Long

cheezyq
8/5/2010, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure Badg is talking about KSU's loss to tOSU in the '04 Fiesta, when Ell Roberson got caught with his pants down a night or 2 before the game & came within an eyelash of getting busted for sexual assualt. They definitely played very distracted.

Yeah, for some reason I didn't notice Fiesta vs. Alamo Bowl when I read her post. But BY FAR the 1998 B12CCG was their worst loss. Dropped from #2 in the BCS and MNC bound to somewhere in the Teens and Alamo-bound, where they lost. Their fans still think they got screwed...the fact that they played Indiana State, Northern Illinois, and Louisiana-Monroe in the non-con couldn't POSSIBLY have anything to do with that. :rolleyes: Back then, the BCS tracked SOS pretty heavily. Snyder shot himself in the nuts by trotting out that sched.

Funny thing - good ol' Snyder could be setting them up for the exact same disappointment by wussing-up the schedule for the foreseeable future. SOS doesn't have as much of an effect on the BCS now, but there's still that possibility.

cheezyq
8/5/2010, 02:35 PM
if we are just talking OU, for me personally the LSU loss in the Sugar Bowl was the most painful...play calling in the end was brutal and admittedly so by Long

It was frustrating...that's for sure. I don't know if I'd call it the most painful, but the game was winnable. I kept thinking, "hmmm....we line up under center and run the ball for 5-6 yards nearly every time, but the shotgun draw keeps getting stuffed....so WHY are we constantly lining up in the shotgun?" I know White's knee wasn't in great shape that day, but he was obviously capable of lining up under center some of the time.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 02:46 PM
Kejuan Jones all the way down the field and then 4 straight passes..

It was the most painful for me because that was a NC game..

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 03:07 PM
It was frustrating...that's for sure. I don't know if I'd call it the most painful, but the game was winnable. I kept thinking, "hmmm....we line up under center and run the ball for 5-6 yards nearly every time, but the shotgun draw keeps getting stuffed....so WHY are we constantly lining up in the shotgun?" I know White's knee wasn't in great shape that day, but he was obviously capable of lining up under center some of the time.

Enter Larry's defense of OC's right about...

cheezyq
8/5/2010, 03:21 PM

Ugh, bugs me even thinking about it. But for me the most painful/memorable loss was 20-14 in the Orange bowl. The memory of helmet head being lofted off the field by his thugs is burned forever into my head. I hate that man and everything his teams stood for...even in the NFL. Worse, people always blame Switzer's laid back personality for all the drug chaos surrounding the Dallas Cowboys after Johnson's ego was drummed out of town...never mind the fact that they were ALL players that Jimmy's regime drafted.

On a related note, I always felt Kejuan Jones was underrated because of how that offense was run. Running the shotgun draw with Q worked, probably because he was so short. KJ was a different runner, though. He had good vision and was similar to Chris Brown in that while he wasn't flashy, he ALWAYS made positive yards. He could hit the hole just right, with great timing, assuming he was running out of an I formation. That was never more evident to me than in that LSU game.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 03:32 PM

think about it, despite the fact that Long went away from the run when it was working, White just missed Kejaun or we go to OT, jones was wide open on that call

Collier11
8/5/2010, 03:33 PM
20-11

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 03:36 PM
think about it, despite the fact that Long went away from the run when it was working, White just missed Kejaun or we go to OT, jones was wide open on that call

what was so frustrating was the fact on how crappy that game started and then to shut them down...except for a bad decision by white in the 3rd, lsu couldnt even sniff the endzone...the phantom holding call on the brandon everage pick....

Sooner04
8/5/2010, 03:40 PM
If you think the '04 Sugar Bowl was bad from the comforts of your living room, you should have experienced it from within the walls of the Superdome.

The absolute worst sporting adventure of my life. Bar none, not even close.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 03:41 PM
I was there, it was amazing the 2nd half after the pick and before the overthrow...damn I still thought that Clayton had caught that ball on 3rd down that was tipped, I was in the EZ

stoops the eternal pimp
8/5/2010, 03:43 PM
If you think the '04 Sugar Bowl was bad from the comforts of your living room, you should have experienced it from within the walls of the Superdome.

Another thing that made it more disappointing..I wasnt at boise, or wvu, or oregon...but this one....horrible

Collier11
8/5/2010, 03:47 PM
I was at Oregon- a complete feeling of shock and anger

I was at WVU- I couldnt believe we just fell apart like that in the 4th qt

I was at LSU- Disappointment of how we played earlier, a sense of adrenaline as it appeared we were taking over in the 4th qt and then the overthrow followed by depression

badger
8/5/2010, 03:47 PM

OU truly was outnumbered in that dome. it was like a road game, not a bowl game. It is something that should never be allowed in future BCS Championship games. Ever.

it would be one thing if one team's fanbase didn't buy a lot of tickets or returned most of their share. Not the case. LSU pretty much had a monopoly on the Superdome... and the entire city, for that matter.

Mississippi Sooner
8/5/2010, 03:50 PM
OU truly was outnumbered in that dome. it was like a road game, not a bowl game. It is something that should never be allowed in future BCS Championship games. Ever.

it would be one thing if one team's fanbase didn't buy a lot of tickets or returned most of their share. Not the case. LSU pretty much had a monopoly on the Superdome... and the entire city, for that matter.

I remember I started bar crawling fairly early on Saturday. Everywhere I looked, it seemed to be nothing but Sooner fans and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

But then, around 5:30 or 6:00 when it started to get dark, all those drunk, crazed LSU fans just seemed to emerge up out of the sewers. Most seemed to be looking to fight. That was when it was time to get off Bourbon Street.

Sooner04
8/5/2010, 04:13 PM
Makes me sick that LSU won two national championships in the past decade with inferior teams that got to play home games for all the marbles.

Barf.

47straight
8/5/2010, 04:39 PM
For whatever reason, Oregon and the game that did not happen bother me much worse than the Boise State game, and I was there for the Boise State game.

soonergirlNeugene
8/5/2010, 08:32 PM
Oregon and USC were much more painful to me than Boise State. That was such a good game, even though I was disappointed with the loss, I knew I'd just watched one of the most competitive games I'll ever see.

sooner59
8/6/2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah I was at the Boise game, too. I thought we had it when Marcus Walker had the pick 6, I also thought we had it in OT when AD had the TD run. And I turned and walked out as soon as I saw the statue of liberty. I didn't even see him score, I just saw the play happening and grabbed my **** and left. I knew. Then I heard the Boise fans. No need to turn around. But The Oregon or USC games were both worse. Bad enough on TV, but being there would be torture. At least I was proud of our guys for coming back and making a game of it against Boise after it got to 28-10.

golfingsooner
8/6/2010, 01:54 AM
01 Nebraska - that damn play to Crouch still haunts me.

06 Oregon - I was there, in the OU section. I saw it all happen right before my eyes, I saw Patrick come out with the ball. I thought the game was over. Nope. I didn't even go out that night, I just watched the highlights on ESPN and went to bed early.

08 Florida - To get beat by the Tebow jump pass was like a swift kick in the nads. I remember telling my dad in the living room "Here comes the jump pass" and sure enough. Being given little to no chance to win that game, and to come that close with our players fighting so hard... that one stung. I thought we played the better game until the 4th quarter.

OUstud
8/6/2010, 02:29 AM

This. Almost made me hate New Orleans forever...then I went back as a college student. :D

Half a Hundred
8/6/2010, 08:53 AM
Can I count the '06 Rose Bowl? 'Cause that sure felt like a loss to me.

Oh, and if #1's anything other than '82 Cal-Stanford, the list's void. Stanford still changes the score on the trophy when they get possession of it.

Edit: the list is void. Richard Milhous Nixon notwithstanding.

sooner518
8/6/2010, 09:18 AM
Oregon - I was there and while it sucked, it wasnt that painful, because at the stadium, we didnt know just how badly we'd gotten screwed. We were on the phone talking with friends saying Oregon should have gotten penalized. The Oregon fans around us were on the phones with their friends who said that Oregon clearly got it....Not until we got back to our hotel room did we see Youtube and the collosal raping we got from the refs.

Boise St - incredibly painful just because we played like such crap for 80% of that game, and then we take the lead with one minute which was the highest of highs. Watching Walker take that pick 6 to the house was the craziest I think I have ever gone while watching an OU game. And for them to convert 3 miracle plays in a span of 10 minutes was just heartbreaking. It felt like a joke.

Tech in 05 - The Original Ref-Raping (besides the 84 UT game). I watched this by myself in my apartment in Chicago and my neighbors must have thought that I was killing someone from all the shouted obscenities. Im still in shock with the spot they gave Amendola on 4th down. Such an obvious homer call its not even funny. I dont know if the running back scored when time expired, but I know, without a doubt, that they didnt come within a yard of converting that 4th down which should have ended the game.

Sooner in Tampa
8/6/2010, 10:17 AM
HA...the Boise game didn't even make the top 50!!

badger
8/6/2010, 11:40 AM
We didn't make the top ten. Thank gawd.

badger
8/6/2010, 12:43 PM
btw, they also ranked the top ten pain inflictors - check who number two is here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5435038)

Spoiler: It's Barry. :)

Pricetag
8/6/2010, 12:48 PM
Did the loss to Notre Dame to end the streak not make the list? I can't see how it isn't top ten. I can't see how it isn't number one.

Mississippi Sooner
8/6/2010, 12:56 PM
btw, they also ranked the top ten pain inflictors - check who number two is here. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5435038)

Spoiler: It's Barry. :)

Barry's ownership of Tom Osborne was so legendary, it was the reason the phrase Sooner Magic was invented in the first place. That's a major reason why I got so chapped at how the lifted Osborne to some kind of sainthood status after Barry was out of the game.

Mississippi Sooner
8/6/2010, 12:58 PM
Did the loss to Notre Dame to end the streak not make the list? I can't see how it isn't top ten. I can't see how it isn't number one.

I agree 100%. And when you consider the beatdown that the Sooners had put on Notre Dame the year before, plus the fact that the game was on national TV in living color at a time when that was still a rare occurrence, it becomes even more of a head scratcher.

Eielson
8/6/2010, 01:14 PM
The game we don't speak of was actually the most painful game for me. That one hurt for a few years.

NMSooner'80
8/6/2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah I was at the Boise game, too. I thought we had it when Marcus Walker had the pick 6, I also thought we had it in OT when AD had the TD run. And I turned and walked out as soon as I saw the statue of liberty. I didn't even see him score, I just saw the play happening and grabbed my **** and left. I knew. Then I heard the Boise fans. No need to turn around.

That remains the only game I've seen a Stoops-coached OU team lose in person. I remember having a nagging feeling in the back of my mind, after Walker scored, that "maybe he should have stepped out at the five" so Boise couldn't get the ball back after our (hypothetical) last-second field goal by Hartley.

That game also still grates on me because it's (A) been unbelievably mis-cast as David over Goliath, when in fact OU was lower-ranked and not dominant at all that season, and (B) I live in an area where the "BCS" is considered some evil conspiracy that includes alumni of the dreaded BCS schools. So the locals just feast on that game, as if they got any sort of direct benefit from OU's sorry play for most of that game.

texaspokieokie
8/6/2010, 04:20 PM
i don't think that game in 57 was broadcast in "color".

just going by memory.

texaspokieokie
8/6/2010, 05:51 PM
just dawned on me, wouldn't know if it was in color, no one i knew had a color tv.

charliedontsurf
8/7/2010, 02:40 PM
The most painful was the Orange bowl loss to Holtz's Hawgs, we were supposed to win big and add another NC trophy to the case.

texaspokieokie
8/8/2010, 08:16 AM
yep, loss to AR was very painful !!! especially to Barry.

King Crimson
8/8/2010, 03:13 PM

I was sitting in the end zone. that end zone. my dad was shouting all game: "run the ball out of the g-damned I, Chuck!" the whole game. he was right.

for me:

1. 1988
2. NU 1978 (no real solace in dominating them the 2nd time in Miami--proved what we all knew, OU was the best team in the nation and Billy deserved the Heisman again but it was too late)

can't really rank the GoTC since that was before my time.

King Crimson
8/8/2010, 03:29 PM
if Memorial Stadium in Lincoln wasn't Barry's de facto home field, I'd guess 1986 would/should have to be up there for Nebraska fan. to me, that was a bigger W given the way the last 3 minutes play out than 87 GOTC II. The latter we dominate them on the D side.....they go 3 and out 10 straight possessions or something until Jon Green, "he'll go!", and a bolt of lightening in the late afternoon in Lincoln, Nebraska.

cheezyq
8/8/2010, 11:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/14835/your-take-worst-losses-in-program-history

Several Texas Tech fans expressing their most painful moment here...and a Texas A&M fan. I like the fact that we don't just squash the hopes and dreams of other Big 12 squads, we obliterate them. Kinda like 27-0 last year. :D

cheezyq
8/8/2010, 11:20 PM
08 Florida - To get beat by the Tebow jump pass was like a swift kick in the nads. I remember telling my dad in the living room "Here comes the jump pass" and sure enough. Being given little to no chance to win that game, and to come that close with our players fighting so hard... that one stung. I thought we played the better game until the 4th quarter.

Is there a more annoying, stupid-looking play in all of football than that jump pass? Or, that retarded "hold hands with the RB up to the LOS, then break" play? Tim Tebow might be responsible for the 2 most annoying plays in all of college sports. That crap doesn't play in the NFL, and neither will Tebow.

Big Red Ron
8/22/2010, 01:27 PM
The last Orange Bowl we played, period end of discussion.