PDA

View Full Version : The Utah State game is PPV

badger
8/2/2010, 03:27 PM
But at least our TV streak continues, I guess??

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100802_92_0_Oklaho661881)

6 p.m. kickoff. Hooray for night game during hot month

cvsooner
8/2/2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, this just went up at soonersports.com: "Oklahoma’s season-opening football game on Sept. 4, against Utah State has been set for a 6 p.m. (CT) kickoff. The game will be televised on a pay-per-view basis by Fox Sports Net."

KantoSooner
8/2/2010, 03:36 PM
Well, my 98 (truly) year old grandfather, who lives with the family, has started cussing again; an unmistakeable sign that the season is nigh. So, come hell or high water, I'll be dolling out the dollars and paying for this. It is one more reason OU should have an 'OU Network' that we could subscribe to, pay them a monthly or yearly fee and get all the untelevised games.

The broadcast journalism school could NOT do as bad a job as Fox and it would give them experience. Plus the play-by-play would be utterly and cruelly biases. You could even have a straight-ish game being called and then a sub-channel of gonzo 20 year olds ripping the enemy on each and every play.

IronHorseSooner
8/2/2010, 04:08 PM
That PPV charge to us will be like when we soldiers would get to Ireland and would have beer for the first time in a year after leaving Iraq & Afghanistan. The prices were high, but because we were so in need, we would pay just about anything!

badger
8/2/2010, 04:09 PM
That PPV charge to us will be like when we soldiers would get to Ireland and would have beer for the first time in a year after leaving Iraq & Afghanistan. The prices were high, but because we were so in need, we would pay just about anything!

So... no pocket shots in Iraq/Afghanistan like you see at Owen Field? I know alcohol is banned at both placed, but I suppose the consequences are higher over there for getting caught

Mississippi Sooner
8/2/2010, 04:19 PM
I will say, at least with this PPV, we won't be playing a 1-AA team.

Of course, I was a bit concerned for a minute during the Idaho State game when we seemed to be confounded on how to get the ball in from the goal line.

CBUS_SOONER
8/2/2010, 04:39 PM
Anyone know if the FSU game will be on abc. I hope not because here in columbus the suckeyes play Thug U at the same time. If I have to go watch game at BW3 with all those dirt bags... I will not be happy

Mississippi Sooner
8/2/2010, 04:41 PM
Anyone know if the FSU game will be on abc. I hope not because here in columbus the suckeyes play Thug U at the same time. If I have to go watch game at BW3 with all those dirt bags... I will not be happy

Yep. FSU is already signed on with ABC. Air Force is on FoxSportsNet.

rawlingsHOH
8/2/2010, 04:41 PM

i think it is a 2:30 ABC game.

you may get it on espn though, if not your primary market.

Mississippi Sooner
8/2/2010, 04:42 PM
That's right. They have the mirror game a lot of times on ESPN or ESPN2 now if you don't get it in your market. You might not get it in HD, but you still get it that way.

cvsooner
8/2/2010, 06:59 PM
Personally I wouldn't give Fox any money, but that's just me. Guess I'll listen to it on internet radio.

bri
8/2/2010, 08:33 PM
It is one more reason OU should have an 'OU Network' that we could subscribe to, pay them a monthly or yearly fee and get all the untelevised games.

Yeah, there's already something like that. (http://www.soonersports.com/ot/webcasts.html)

delhalew
8/2/2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah, there's already something like that. (http://www.soonersports.com/ot/webcasts.html)

That's expensive for no live video feed. Not so good if you live out in the country either.

Crucifax Autumn
8/2/2010, 08:59 PM
That would be useful if there was such a thing as an untelevised OU football game.

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2010, 09:04 PM
But at least our TV streak continues, I guess??

We've had one PPV game every year for at least the last half dozen years or so.

KantoSooner
8/3/2010, 09:25 AM

It's a step, but seriously not a substitute for live video over cable. Which, in my opinion, the university could pretty easily support. In addition to the sports (including all the 'non-revenue' sports), we could let the broadcast journo students do current affairs (meet the press type things), travel, etc.

There are close to 1,000 slots on any given cable/satellite network and probably less than half are full now. The world is hungry for content and OU could pretty easily put a channel together.

I'd subscribe unless they made it stupidly expensive.

SoonerPr8r
8/3/2010, 10:54 AM
It's a step, but seriously not a substitute for live video over cable. Which, in my opinion, the university could pretty easily support. In addition to the sports (including all the 'non-revenue' sports), we could let the broadcast journo students do current affairs (meet the press type things), travel, etc.

There are close to 1,000 slots on any given cable/satellite network and probably less than half are full now. The world is hungry for content and OU could pretty easily put a channel together.

I'd subscribe unless they made it stupidly expensive.

And, when there is no live programming on then tv shows/movies staring famous OU alum could air. Such as Olivia Munn (http://www.oliviamunn.com/photo/)

KantoSooner
8/3/2010, 11:14 AM
Or we could do reality shows from Norman or featuring OU students. Examples:

1. Noodlin', Oklahoma's gift to the outdoorsman!
2. "Hey Guys, Watch This!" a 'Jackass' style show featuring freshman and sophomore men, high powered boats and tubes.
3. Alumni Barbecue. Get half this website to gather 'round on a comfy deck, light the cooker, open the first of many, many beers and let the affairs of the day be discussed fulsomely.
4. 'What Cheerleaders Do When Not Cheering'. Here's the twist: the camera would be mounted to a cheerleader's head, not looking at her. The show would consist of outtakes from her non-cheerleading week. You'd get the perv community to tune in and then utterly confuse them.
5. 'The Mont' a dramatic rendering of the work lives of students trying to make a dime waiting tables in a high volume watering hole. Tips on removing queso from clothing to close each week.
6. "Deep Ellum Blues". Yearly special focusing on the antics of OU and UT students preceding the RRS. From the <weary, long suffering> viewpoint of Dallas police officers. Rhythmic beating sequence to open and close each segment.

The possiblities are endless!

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2010, 11:24 AM
Is Sugar's still open? You could easily do a documentary on all the grant and loan money that's been blown in that place.

goingoneight
8/3/2010, 12:30 PM
I would give $60 to see a game on TV before I'd give the OU radio broadcast my little dose of ratings. At least if guys who don't work for OU mess up, you can still see there's nobody on the field named Demarcoshaw McCoyford throwing a pass complete to the other team... no wait...safety... no wait... it's just a halftime replay!

Love BB, Sr... but it's not 2000 anymore. OU's radio broadcast is beyond bad. When it's on TV, you can at least see it.

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2010, 12:34 PM
I would give $60 to see a game on TV before I'd give the OU radio broadcast my little dose of ratings. At least if guys who don't work for OU mess up, you can still see there's nobody on the field named Demarcoshaw McCoyford throwing a pass complete to the other team... no wait...safety... no wait... it's just a halftime replay!

Love BB, Sr... but it's not 2000 anymore. OU's radio broadcast is beyond bad. When it's on TV, you can at least see it.

Totally agree. Big Bob is an Oklahoma legend, but it's past time to replace him.

KantoSooner
8/3/2010, 01:03 PM
Bar S hotdogs will never let it happen.

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 01:07 PM
Yep. FSU is already signed on with ABC. Air Force is on FoxSportsNet.

I'm moving to OKC from Arizona this week, so I wont ever have to watch pac 10 regional coverage again. :D

Mississippi Sooner
8/3/2010, 01:12 PM
I'm moving to OKC from Arizona this week, so I wont ever have to watch pac 10 regional coverage again. :D

I envy you. I have to deal with Ess Eee Cee and, occasionally, Big East.

And, even when the local station is carrying the Sooners, there is no guarantee that you'll see it. I almost lost my mind last season when, about five minutes before the broadcast of the RRS, our local station went off the air. Frantic calls to the station did no good. I think they had the phone off the hook. It finally came back on about halfway through the second quarter.

Sooner-N-KS
8/3/2010, 01:20 PM
Totally agree. Big Bob is an Oklahoma legend, but it's past time to replace him.

BBS is an Oklahoma STATE legend.

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 01:24 PM
Hopefully someone puts it on JTV

bri
8/3/2010, 05:25 PM
In addition to the sports (including all the 'non-revenue' sports), we could let the broadcast journo students do current affairs (meet the press type things), travel, etc.

Yeah, there's already something like that. (http://www.ou.edu/tv/oursportspad/index.htm)

SunnySooner
8/3/2010, 06:36 PM
I had pretty good success with the justintv deal last year. Some of the PPV games were not even available to buy here (Jax, FL), so it was def. better than nuthin'. That's how I watched Idaho State, actually, it's not my big TV in HD, but at least I got to see it. When you live in exile, you take what you can get!!

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 06:55 PM
it'll be cheaper to just go to the game. :)

Sooner95
8/3/2010, 07:21 PM
Is Sugar's still open? You could easily do a documentary on all the grant and loan money that's been blown in that place.

hahah, ain't that the truth..

RedstickSooner
8/24/2010, 08:28 AM
So, for those who know more 'bout such things than I do -- how close to gameday do they wait to release details on PPV? And, are FSN PPVs usually available on Dish? I seem to remember watching one of our games on Fox's PPV at some point, but my memory is hazy and I'm not positive I didn't have to go crash at a friend's place with DirecTV.

Missing a small game in the middle of the season isn't the end of the world, but I really hate missing the first game of the year, no matter who we're playing.

olevetonahill
8/24/2010, 08:49 AM
Last year for the tater state game I had to call in that day to order it. They dint have the option for me to order on line and I dont have a land line . The bastages charged me an extry 5 bucks Phone fee. :mad:
\
Oh I have Directv

RedstickSooner
8/24/2010, 08:52 AM
I guess I could probably ask around at some of the sports bars down this way, see if any are gonna carry it. Doubt they would, though. Coughing up the dough for a PPV game that ain't an SEC game doesn't sound like something that'd happen in Baton Rouge.

I'll have to see whether it's on Dish. Got the same problem you have, Olevet -- no landline connected to my Dish Network box. So I'm sure they'll bleep me over with some bogus extra fee for having called 'em up to order it.

gaylordfan1
8/24/2010, 09:01 AM
I have Cox, and the game is going to be on PPV channel 610, it's available in HD this year. If you have Cox it's set up like buying any movie on demand. You just go the channel and follow the steps like your renting a movie. So, you can do it minutes before the game if you want.

olevetonahill
8/24/2010, 09:04 AM
I guess I could probably ask around at some of the sports bars down this way, see if any are gonna carry it. Doubt they would, though. Coughing up the dough for a PPV game that ain't an SEC game doesn't sound like something that'd happen in Baton Rouge.

I'll have to see whether it's on Dish. Got the same problem you have, Olevet -- no landline connected to my Dish Network box. So I'm sure they'll bleep me over with some bogus extra fee for having called 'em up to order it.

If its a large enough Sports bar they Might show it .
Id rather watch from home tho .
see if ya can order it online.

Mississippi Sooner
8/24/2010, 09:04 AM
I'll make no promises on behalf of Dish Network, but I do know that the game with Utah State in 2007 was carried on Dish. I'm counting on them carrying this one myself, as well.

gaylordfan1
8/24/2010, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure all the sports bars on campus will be showing the game. They always have in the past. $50 is chump change to a bar. Hell, I bet the people present would pass around a collection just to get it!

olevetonahill
8/24/2010, 09:07 AM
I'm pretty sure all the sports bars on campus will be showing the game. They always have in the past. $50 is chump change to a bar. Hell, I bet the people present would pass around a collection just to get it!

In Baton Rouge :eek:

gaylordfan1
8/24/2010, 09:08 AM
Good point. Didn't think about that one. Hmmm, well I'm glad I live in Norman. ;)

olevetonahill
8/24/2010, 09:09 AM
Good point. Didn't think about that one. Hmmm, well I'm glad I live in Norman. ;)

:D

gaylordfan1
8/24/2010, 09:12 AM
I'm a little delirious, just got off work.... 12 hr shifts take it out of me! Sorry guys.

soonerborn30
8/24/2010, 09:12 AM

Commercial addresses pay more for PPV than residential. It's based - or it used to be, anyway - on capacity of the premises. So if it's a big bar it might cost them upwards of a grand to carry it. But they'll more than make up for that in beer sales anyway. I'm sure Skull can confirm this, he works at a bar.

rawlingsHOH
8/24/2010, 09:26 AM
Commercial addresses pay more for PPV than residential. It's based - or it used to be, anyway - on capacity of the premises. So if it's a big bar it might cost them upwards of a grand to carry it. But they'll more than make up for that in beer sales anyway. I'm sure Skull can confirm this, he works at a bar.

right