PDA

View Full Version : Will Demarco do it?

badger
8/2/2010, 10:32 AM
Demarco says he wants to rush 2,000 yards this season, something no OU running back has ever done.

Link (http://newsok.com/ou-football-insider-demarco-murray-wants-to-rush-for-2000-yards/article/3481550?custom_click=lead_story_title)

He needs 1,925 yards to tie AD's single-season record. He needs 1,647 to tie Billy Sim's career record. He needs 1,002 to tie his personal best season, 2008. (764 and 705 in his other seasons, respectively).

Is it true that he's never fumbled? Wow.

So anyways, preseason poll time. Predict Demarco's greatness. Also, in comments, tell me if the fumble thing is real, then speculate if he'll finish his rushing career without any fumbles compared with your poll answer... after all, it will be much more difficult to not fumble in a 2,000-yard season than a injury-filled 700-yard season.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/2/2010, 10:33 AM
I predict we run the ball a lot, and if he stays healthy, he gets close to 2,000 but doesn't quite make it.

goingoneight
8/2/2010, 10:36 AM
The fumble thing is incorrect. He hasn't lost many, but he has lost the ball before.

2000 is a big number considering the OL situation is unproven, but I like the goal.

sooner518
8/2/2010, 10:37 AM
Im guessing around 1,400

badger
8/2/2010, 10:40 AM
I love the goal, so just in support of the idea, I voted for 2,000. If he achieves that, look out for him to be a Heisman finalist. btw, i love this part of the article I linked above:

Instead of going out for fast food, he's been grilling chicken and vegetables in olive oil at home. He's also spent countless hours stretching out his muscles. He's even taken a yoga class.

meoveryouxinfinity
8/2/2010, 10:44 AM
I love the goal, so just in support of the idea, I voted for 2,000. If he achieves that, look out for him to be a Heisman finalist. btw, i love this part of the article I linked above:

TTIWWP!!

Boomer.....
8/2/2010, 10:44 AM
I think he has a 1000+ yard season but doesn't hit 1500+. That would still be a solid year.

Mississippi Sooner
8/2/2010, 10:51 AM
I think he has a 1000+ yard season but doesn't hit 1500+. That would still be a solid year.

Likewise. I think something around the 1,200 yard mark would be fine, so long as the rest of the offense clicks as it should.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/2/2010, 10:54 AM
I clicked the wrong one...i meant the 1002 one

Sooner-N-KS
8/2/2010, 10:54 AM
The one fumble that I can recall was in the 1st quarter of the BYU game. He had already made 5-10 yards, and he was heading for the end zone. Someone came in from the side and put his helmet right on the ball. Almost anyone would have fumbled that one.

badger
8/2/2010, 10:59 AM
TTIWWP!!

You boys and your love of pics... ok, ok, here's a link to a video on SS.com where you can view Demarco at Big 12 days, which was just last week, so should show the new, improved DeMarkie...

Link (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/2010_big12_media_days.html)

And here's a pic from the presser via SS.com:

http://i29.tinypic.com/iyfoqt.png

I know, doesn't really show much, but did you really expect him to pose shirtless at this event? Maybe new pics will come out with more open-to-media practices.

KantoSooner
8/2/2010, 11:15 AM
What's his weight now? My Primary concern with Demarco at this time is whether he still has the break away burst. I would like to say 'yes', but haven't seen him walk away from anyone in a while.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/2/2010, 11:24 AM
down to 208

meoveryouxinfinity
8/2/2010, 11:27 AM
he looks good, and yes i expect him to pose shirtless. and pantless.

badger
8/2/2010, 11:27 AM
I loved all of the before/after shots of Duke a few years back after he reportedly gave up cheeseburgers (although NP and I saw him at a Chili's a few weeks after that thread eating... yup, a cheeseburger), losing tons of weight and being a solid O-line guy.

I know RB's tend to need some power behind their runs, but DeMarco seemed to benefit most from his speed, so the weight loss should help.

Whether a slimmer, sleeker DeMark gets 2,000? It would be awesome.

rawlingsHOH
8/2/2010, 11:32 AM

No. ESPN doesn't update the fumble stats, so it looks like everyone has 0 fumbles, 0 lost. Kind of deceiving, should just 86 that stat column all together.

Demarco has had fumbles, 09 BYU and 09 Texas immediately come to mind. I recall him fumbling OB his freshman year against Texas. I think he also coughed one up in that close game up in Ames. In 2008 we hardly had any fumbles as a team, and can't think of him having any that year, though I'd assume he had a couple.

SoonerAtKU
8/2/2010, 11:35 AM
If he makes it to 1400 yards this season, that's an incredible success.

My Opinion Matters
8/2/2010, 11:38 AM
If he averages 70 attempts per game, then yes, probably.

badger
8/2/2010, 11:49 AM
I thought I remembered DM fumbling a little here and there, thought the ESPN (and they're on Wiki too) looked questionable.

Assuming that we go to the Big 12 title game and a bowl game (but of course) DM will have 14 games to get his yardage, so he'll need to average... oh man, math not so good... about 143 yards per game.

Did I mention he'll be a Heisman finalist if he pulls this off? I would say Heisman shoo-in, but if BC's cancer survivor has anywhere close to a good comeback season, ESPN will probably give DM the Peyton Manning treatment.

BoulderSooner79
8/2/2010, 11:56 AM
I loved all of the before/after shots of Duke a few years back after he reportedly gave up cheeseburgers (although NP and I saw him at a Chili's a few weeks after that thread eating... yup, a cheeseburger), losing tons of weight and being a solid O-line guy.

"When I say I don't eat cheeseburgers, I mean I don't eat many cheeseburgers"

OU-HSV
8/2/2010, 11:58 AM
Demarco says he wants to rush 2,000 yards this season, something no OU running back has ever done.

Link (http://newsok.com/ou-football-insider-demarco-murray-wants-to-rush-for-2000-yards/article/3481550?custom_click=lead_story_title)

He needs 1,925 yards to tie AD's single-season record. He needs 1,647 to tie Billy Sim's career record. He needs 1,002 to tie his personal best season, 2008. (764 and 705 in his other seasons, respectively).

So anyways, preseason poll time. Predict Demarco's greatness. Also, in comments, tell me if the fumble thing is real, then speculate if he'll finish his rushing career without any fumbles compared with your poll answer... after all, it will be much more difficult to not fumble in a 2,000-yard season than a injury-filled 700-yard season.

Furthermore, per my latest Sooner Spectator mag:

-He only needs 1,221 all-purpose yards to pass Joe Washington's career record of 5,881 all-purpose yards
(currently DM is 3rd in all-purpose yards)

-He needs 13 TDs to break Steve Owens' school record of 57 career TDs
(currently DM is 4th in this category)

If he stays healthy this year, I think he'll be breaking both of those records

BoulderSooner79
8/2/2010, 11:59 AM
I could see DeMarco getting 2000 yds rushing and receiving combined and that would be great. That would mean we are taking full advantage of the mis-matches he can create. My preference would be to see a very high yds/carry and TDs/carry to go along with a very injury free season.

badger
8/2/2010, 11:59 AM
-Terrence Cody, Bammer field goal blocker, Balimore conditioning test failer

BoulderSooner79
8/2/2010, 12:00 PM
-Terrence Cody, Bammer field goal blocker, Balimore conditioning test failer

Thanks for not posting pics :)

goingoneight
8/2/2010, 12:01 PM
Seeing DeMarco wire-to-wire, no fluke injuries, no constant subbing in or out with other backs, 25 touches a game is already tough enough. Now we're asking the O-Line to magically learn how to run block good enough to spell a 1400-2000-yard rusher.

Like I said, I love the goal and I think if anyone in the Stoops era is talented enough for a 2,000-yard season healthy, it's AD or DM. I also thought Sam Bradford would be good to throw for 15 TDs and keep his INTs under 15 as a freshman... so we'll just see how things work out.

delhalew
8/2/2010, 12:15 PM
I'm all positive thinking for DM this year. He deserves a break away year, so I voted option B around 1600.

badger
8/2/2010, 12:17 PM
Furthermore, per my latest Sooner Spectator mag:

-He only needs 1,221 all-purpose yards to pass Joe Washington's career record of 5,881 all-purpose yards
(currently DM is 3rd in all-purpose yards)

-He needs 13 TDs to break Steve Owens' school record of 57 career TDs
(currently DM is 4th in this category)

If he stays healthy this year, I think he'll be breaking both of those records

bah, now i wish i included one of those in the poll... ah well, everyone should definitely comment on this too.

I think he has a good shot at all-purpose yardage, definitely. If he goes for 2,000 as I said in my most optimistic way before, he will definitely have to run for some long TDs to get there, so no question he'll get at least 13 of those.

For those of you that aren't as optimistic as me, will DM set at least one school record before his eligibility runs out?

Mississippi Sooner
8/2/2010, 12:21 PM
Dang. Votes for Billy's record took a huge leap.

ouleaf
8/2/2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not entirely certain that he'll even get 2000 yards combined rushing/receiving.

All depends on how many carries they give to Calhoun/Madu as well. If it's more of the RB by committee we have had the past few years, no way does he come close. I'd say a really great year for Murray would be 1200 rushing and 600 receiving with about 16 TD's. Anything over that would be truly outstanding.

badger
8/2/2010, 12:40 PM
All depends on how many carries they give to Calhoun/Madu as well.

Madu = zero, not only punishment for DUI, but also because he's a WR now and I'd doubt they'd move him back his senior year.

I can see them getting Calhoun involved more. Is he more of a power back or a speed back?

swardboy
8/2/2010, 12:50 PM
I'd rather see two 1,000 + yard rushers....THAT would be the best thing for Landry and the team.

delhalew
8/2/2010, 01:04 PM
Unless something changes, everyone involved has stated DM is the guy. No commitee. He is, however, too valuable to as a receiver to not be used as a dump off.

badger
8/2/2010, 01:32 PM
I'd rather see two 1,000 + yard rushers....THAT would be the best thing for Landry and the team.

Why stop there? I want two 2,000+-yard rushers... I think the scoreboard might explode before the media does "omg ou running up the score... literally!"

OK2U
8/2/2010, 01:49 PM
Madu = zero, not only punishment for DUI, but also because he's a WR now and I'd doubt they'd move him back his senior year.

I can see them getting Calhoun involved more. Is he more of a power back or a speed back?

Coaches DID move Madu back or RB, and he is competing w/ everyone else to back up Demarco

ndpruitt03
8/2/2010, 02:02 PM
I think he gets around 1400 yards. Maybe if you add his receiving yards he gets 2000-2200 total yards. But the number to watch is his TD numbers. He has 43 total TDs right now. The record for a non QB is 57 in a career by Steve Owens.

oudivesherpa
8/2/2010, 02:08 PM
I think Demarco will get between 800 to 900 yds. this year, but another 400 yds receiving. OU s passing game will be too strong.

yankee
8/2/2010, 02:29 PM
our #2 back (probably calhoun) is probably going to take enough carries away from murray for him to have a shot at 2,000...in fact, i think he falls way short just because our passing game will be much more improved and i really think calhoun is going to have a very good season. anyway, i care more about YPC than yards. if he's averaging close to or over 5 YPC, then he's having a very good year.

soonervegas
8/2/2010, 02:33 PM
I could see DeMarco getting 2000 yds rushing and receiving combined and that would be great. That would mean we are taking full advantage of the mis-matches he can create. My preference would be to see a very high yds/carry and TDs/carry to go along with a very injury free season.

I agree with this 100%. I don't think he will hit 2,000 combined, but anything over 1500 would mean we are probably BCS bound.

KantoSooner
8/2/2010, 03:01 PM
I'd just like to see him get 200+ against Texas.

And for Calhoun to get 200+ against Texas.

And for both of them to be completely eclipsed by Broyles performance that day.

And for Stills to have a coming out party that same day.

I don't ask for much.

badger
8/3/2010, 06:00 PM
dang this poll is as popular as those women basketball ones i had a few months ago are...bump for more votes :D

Also, a story today said his goal is actually 1,500, but that he would love 2,000.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100803_92_B1_Oklaho357273)

You should all check out that story... it will make you hate Pete Carroll more, the snake oil salesman. Check what Demarco's dad said:

"Pete Carroll sat there and said, 'I am a very talented coach as far as recruiting.' He said, 'I guarantee you' — and he looked myself and DeMarco in the eye and said, 'I guarantee you, if you came to USC as a cornerback, I guarantee you in four years you'd be the first pick, first round cornerback coming out of SC.' I looked at DeMarco and I said, 'DeMarco, Pete Carroll is a very intelligent coach; I respect what your decision is, but it's up to you: do you want to run the ball or do you want to play defense?

he chose to run the ball, so he chose oklahoma :D

JLEW1818
8/3/2010, 06:21 PM
I clicked the wrong one...i meant the 1002 one

liar

stoops the eternal pimp
8/3/2010, 06:33 PM
jlew could outrun demarco

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 06:40 PM
I'm gonna drink the kool aid and say yes he does it. We all know he is explosive, he's a senior, and if he's serious and puts in the work, he can do it. God bless him from injury and he has a chance.

AZSOONER
8/3/2010, 06:47 PM
Along with my last post, I'd like to see the weight put on Demarco and let LJ do what he needs to and take it easy. Next year he can be the stud, this year just don't make the mistakes.

BoulderSooner79
8/4/2010, 12:51 AM
dang this poll is as popular as those women basketball ones i had a few months ago are...bump for more votes :D

Also, a story today said his goal is actually 1,500, but that he would love 2,000.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20100803_92_B1_Oklaho357273)

You should all check out that story... it will make you hate Pete Carroll more, the snake oil salesman. Check what Demarco's dad said:

he chose to run the ball, so he chose oklahoma :D

I can't even visualize DM at cornerback. I'm sure part of it is because he trained for RB, but he is too big and seems a bit stiff to play corner. Had he gone to SC, he would have been moved to safety while sitting on the bench. He made the right choice, for practical and especially moral reasons.

badger
8/4/2010, 09:08 AM
I can't even visualize DM at cornerback. I'm sure part of it is because he trained for RB, but he is too big and seems a bit stiff to play corner. Had he gone to SC, he would have been moved to safety while sitting on the bench. He made the right choice, for practical and especially moral reasons.

like i said, hearing him try to fill player's minds with that crap really makes you hate him more. DM was too smart to fall for any running back talk (because I think USC had like 10 at the time they were recruiting him) so what does he do "Derp, first round cornerback, derp."

I not only hope he gets his 2,000 yards, I hope he gets taken in the first round ahead of any SC player

Mad Dog Madsen
8/4/2010, 09:15 AM
Well, Petey could still draft him and convert him to a Corner... :D

badger
8/4/2010, 10:26 AM
Well, Petey could still draft him and convert him to a Corner... :D

If he does, I hope DM holds out longer than Okung is

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 12:38 PM
our #2 back (probably calhoun) is probably going to take enough carries away from murray for him to have a shot at 2,000...in fact, i think he falls way short just because our passing game will be much more improved and i really think calhoun is going to have a very good season. anyway, i care more about YPC than yards. if he's averaging close to or over 5 YPC, then he's having a very good year.

That and he seeks out defenders and goes down on first contact. But oh wait he does flips. And yoga.

I'm tired of the hype. I just want to see it on the field. I cant even remember the last break away run he had for more than 10 yards.

TexasLidig8r
8/4/2010, 12:48 PM
Let's see...

Last year, Ou was 73rd in total rushing yards with 1750 yards, at 3.6 a carry and your longest run from scrimmage was 48 yards.

Questions abound regarding your offensive line.

Time will tell.

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 12:49 PM
I cant even remember the last break away run he had for more than 10 yards.

A couple TDs against OSU, I'd imagine.

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 01:02 PM
A couple TDs against OSU, I'd imagine.

Ok 15 yards then...

badger
8/4/2010, 01:59 PM
Time will tell.

Here's hoping he pulls a Q on you guys. :D

CrimsonJim
8/4/2010, 02:10 PM
Ok 15 yards then...

Or maybe the 38 yrder against Tater State last year, or a 25 yrd reception against Tulsa, or a 21 yard reception against Da U, or a 20 yrd reception against da Bears, or a 64 yrd reception against da whorns, or a 36 yrd reception against aTm, or a lil 67 yrd recption against aTm...and I'm tired of looking. There were most likely more, and a plenty between your 10-15 yard window. I just looked briefly for the over 15 yrds.

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 02:16 PM
Or maybe the 38 yrder against Tater State last year, or a 25 yrd reception against Tulsa, or a 21 yard reception against Da U, or a 20 yrd reception against da Bears, or a 64 yrd reception against da whorns, or a 36 yrd reception against aTm, or a lil 67 yrd recption against aTm...and I'm tired of looking. There were most likely more, and a plenty between your 10-15 yard window. I just looked briefly for the over 15 yrds.

Tater st doesnt count, its ****ing tater st.. And not a reception... a breakaway run. Where he actually broke a tackle.

I'm not saying that the kid cant run for 10 yds (or dive for 5) when you make holes a truck can drive through (i.e., the osu game). Nor am I saying he doesnt have talent or ability. I am just not that impressed with what he has done with it compared to all of the hype he gets.

rawlingsHOH
8/4/2010, 02:20 PM
I am just not that impressed with what he has done with it compared to all of the hype he gets.
Yeah, I thought he was a little overrated as a frosh in 07, but I think he's starting to become a little underrated at this stage. Very good back, just not a 20+ carry guy, like the fans wanted him to be. We'll see if he can handle that type of load this year.

stoops the eternal pimp
8/4/2010, 02:23 PM
Don't worry..if he has a big game against Utah St,the rating pendulum will swing back to the other side..

The guy has carried the ball 20 times in a game 4 times...he hasn't had a breakaway run against a quality team in I don't know how long...I can't rate him either way, because honestly, its his senior year, and I still don't know what kind of player he is now.

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 02:54 PM
Don't worry..if he has a big game against Utah St,the rating pendulum will swing back to the other side..

The guy has carried the ball 20 times in a game 4 times...he hasn't had a breakaway run against a quality team in I don't know how long...I can't rate him either way, because honestly, its his senior year, and I still don't know what kind of player he is now.

Bingo.

CrimsonJim
8/4/2010, 03:25 PM
Tater st doesnt count, its ****ing tater st.. And not a reception... a breakaway run. Where he actually broke a tackle.

I'm not saying that the kid cant run for 10 yds (or dive for 5) when you make holes a truck can drive through (i.e., the osu game). Nor am I saying he doesnt have talent or ability. I am just not that impressed with what he has done with it compared to all of the hype he gets.

Oh! Well, why didn't you just say so. ;)

TexasLidig8r
8/4/2010, 03:49 PM
Here's hoping he pulls a Q on you guys. :D

Well. that's depressing.

And I used to think the character "Q" from the old Star Trek Next Generation series was the most prolific character of all time....

Damn.. that was a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad day.

C&CDean
8/4/2010, 03:56 PM
How many TDs was it Lid? A hunnert or so?

Sooner04
8/4/2010, 04:02 PM

His lone quality run against a quality team is the one everyone still fawns over: 2007, Texas.

I don't think that guy exists anymore.

To think he has an outside chance at being our all-time leading rusher just floors me. Then again, the greats here had 11 game seasons while Demarco gets 14 or so. So he's playing five seasons, essentially, compared to everyone else's four.

SbOrOiNaEnR
8/4/2010, 04:49 PM
To think he has an outside chance at being our all-time leading rusher just floors me. Then again, the greats here had 11 game seasons while Demarco gets 14 or so. So he's playing five seasons, essentially, compared to everyone else's four.

It took AD 31 games in the pass-happy 2000s to come 73 yards short of Billy Sims. If only...

TexasLidig8r
8/4/2010, 05:22 PM
How many TDs was it Lid? A hunnert or so?

I dont think he has stopped scoring yet. :(

soonerboy_odanorth
8/4/2010, 06:34 PM
His lone quality run against a quality team is the one everyone still fawns over: 2007, Texas.

I don't think that guy exists anymore.

Disagree.

His lone quality long distance scoring run was that 2007 Texas run. He has a number of other highlight real runs, or runs after catches.

I am not sure if he exists either. There's only one way to tell: watch this year after a little lost weight and a lot of flexibility training. BUT, even if he isn't "that guy", is he the guy that if not splitting carries as he did in 2008, can (big IF-healthy) still hit a more pedestrian 1200-1500 yard mark. I think so. That would still be pretty fun to see him achieve.

I don't think it is all that much of a stretch considering 3 years really splitting carries 50-50, games missed due to injury. Yes, add on a couple games, but also consider the carries. EARLY in their careers, maybe Pruitt, Washington, and Sims split wishbone touches, but not their junior and senior years. I think it's a little more of a wash than you are giving credit. [Edit: That is, those wishbone superstars were not having their 25 carries a game reduced to 15 carries a game.. even though, yes, in the wishbone, the QB, FB and other HB were all getting 15 carries a game.]

But it is all moot if he can't stay healthy.

Fraggle145
8/4/2010, 07:37 PM
Disagree.

His lone quality long distance scoring run was that 2007 Texas run. He has a number of other highlight real runs, or runs after catches.

Really? :pop: The only other highlight I can remember is the flip thing into the endzone, that wasnt really that impressive or necessary.

For some reason (and this goes for WRs too) runs after catches dont impress me as much. You are put out there in open space with the ball. You dont have to create that space.

Sooner04
8/4/2010, 07:55 PM
I don't think it is all that much of a stretch considering 3 years really splitting carries 50-50, games missed due to injury. Yes, add on a couple games, but also consider the carries. EARLY in their careers, maybe Pruitt, Washington, and Sims split wishbone touches, but not their junior and senior years. I think it's a little more of a wash than you are giving credit. [Edit: That is, those wishbone superstars were not having their 25 carries a game reduced to 15 carries a game.. even though, yes, in the wishbone, the QB, FB and other HB were all getting 15 carries a game.]
These are good points. But I can't help think of Little Joe. How many times were his shoulder pads off after halftime? The number of times he played a true, full game has got to be pretty limited.

But when we needed that dude late....

gaylordfan1
8/4/2010, 08:09 PM
Really? :pop: The only other highlight I can remember is the flip thing into the endzone, that wasnt really that impressive or necessary.

For some reason (and this goes for WRs too) runs after catches dont impress me as much. You are put out there in open space with the ball. You dont have to create that space.

I recall a couple of nice kick off returns, one of which he took a players helmet off... actually I think there were a couple of plays that he took players helmets off. We seem to forget all the runs he has had, because he has had a lot. Just youtube him and you can catch up.

I agree he isn't the same back circa Texas 2007. He has lost a step and has added more of a power aspect to his game. But, I still think he is a quality back and we are lucky he stayed for this season. He will play a major part in this offense this season. I hope he proves all of us wrong.

BoulderSooner79
8/4/2010, 09:06 PM

They may not impress you, but they are effective. And that's the design of our offense right now - our schemes are just not geared toward a run-first or power attack. Even in '08 when we had the running stats, we couldn't just line up a and force our way down field. Those yards were born from the fear of what Sam might have up his sleeve. I don't see that changing and we need DM to gets those yards after catch.

stoopified
8/4/2010, 09:37 PM
I would love to see DeMarco have a breakout season and get over 1500 yards but I just don't see it.I think 30 catches and 1200 rushing yards are in the realm of possibility,along with 15-20 TDs. DM just has NOT convinced me he can carry a heavy load and stay healthy.

Fraggle145
8/6/2010, 02:48 AM
Even in '08 when we had the running stats, we couldn't just line up a and force our way down field.

And it cost us dearly in the MNC game... just like it did against LSU.

ndpruitt03
8/6/2010, 01:01 PM
Late in the LSU game we ran all down their throat. We just decided to pass 4 plays in a row from the 10 yard line when LSU was tired.

mightysooner
8/6/2010, 02:41 PM
Not sure Demarco can physically last through a 2,000 yard rushing season given the number of carries that would take. I'd sure love to see that happen though!

stoops the eternal pimp
8/6/2010, 02:52 PM
Late in the LSU game we ran all down their throat. We just decided to pass 4 plays in a row from the 10 yard line when LSU was tired.

correct...<sigh>

badger
8/6/2010, 02:54 PM

you...just...had...to...bring...that...up...trying ...to...maintain...composure...not...gonna...cry.. .

http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/hillary%20clinton%20crying.jpg

BoulderSooner79
8/6/2010, 10:31 PM
And it cost us dearly in the MNC game... just like it did against LSU.

Not saying I wouldn't like to see us more effective running - just saying that's who we are. And if the design of the offense doesn't change a lot, I don't see us having a back at the top of the nation in rushing - DM or anyone else. Wilson is talking about improving the run game, but the implication is doing it by better O-line play - not major changes in design. This is fine with me because I love the way we fill the sky with footballs. Everything is a trade-off and I'd rather see dominance than balance and we've proven we can dominate in the air. I'd be way disappointed if we try so hard to compensate in the run game and become a mediocre passing team.

boomerborn79
8/6/2010, 10:54 PM
I am one of 2 who believes he runs for 1925. I am basing this on him staying healthy. He was healthy the last 4 games of 08 and he was great not AD great but confident great. I don't blame last year on him last years O-line was crazy. He will be a good one and we will salute him in the future. I think alot of you forget what he has accomplished here. Look at the record books he is in alot of them, rushing, return yards, all purpose, RB receiveing yards, etc. he is a good one and he has never been healthy. This is the first spring and fall he has had with us, hence Stoops asking 300+ from him. JUST SAYING

boomerborn79
8/6/2010, 10:57 PM
Not saying I wouldn't like to see us more effective running - just saying that's who we are. And if the design of the offense doesn't change a lot, I don't see us having a back at the top of the nation in rushing - DM or anyone else. Wilson is talking about improving the run game, but the implication is doing it by better O-line play - not major changes in design. This is fine with me because I love the way we fill the sky with footballs. Everything is a trade-off and I'd rather see dominance than balance and we've proven we can dominate in the air. I'd be way disappointed if we try so hard to compensate in the run game and become a mediocre passing team.

2008 we had 2 1000 yard backs. Last year we had no O-line, Kwil wants to run it opens up the pass. I think it's important to him

Boomer.....
1/3/2011, 12:50 PM
Murray ended the season with 1214 on 282 carries and 15 rushing TDs. He also added 594 receiving yards on 71 catches and 5 Tds.

It was statistically his best season at OU. Congrats!

TahoeSOONER
1/3/2011, 12:58 PM
A Sooner great that will be missed.

badger
1/3/2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for bumping. I might have had too optimistic of an outlook pre-season but still had a memorable career. I hope he makes it at the next level. The Packers could use him right now.

soonerloyal
1/3/2011, 04:55 PM
I hope he makes it at the next level. The Packers could use him right now.

So could the Rams. Dammit.

badger
1/3/2011, 04:57 PM
So could the Rams. Dammit.

They're good at running back. They just need someone who can catch the ball :(

SoonerDan74012
1/3/2011, 05:06 PM
They're good at running back. They just need someone who can catch the ball :(

They don't have a capable backup so the possibility is there.

stoopified
1/3/2011, 05:08 PM
I ran a thread in preseason on stat leaders for this year and said DM would gain 1200 yards rushing.