PDA

View Full Version : Songs I Don't Get

Leroy Lizard
8/1/2010, 11:57 PM
There are songs that I hate, but I at least understand why some like them. Some are just an acquired taste. Others are commercially unimaginative, but have a certain beat.

But there are some songs that are wildly popular that I just cannot understand the appeal. Why on Hell does anyone like them?

And yeah, I will name everyone's favorites here. Hence my problem.

1. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics. God I hate this song. I don't know why anyone likes it. It has no beat and the vocals are terrible.

2. American Pie by Don McLean. Not only is the song blah, but everyone gets all worked up over the lyrics. Like, who gives a ****?

3. Hotel California by The Eagles. I don't like anything this group does, but this song's popularity just mystifies me. Another song with overrated lyrics.

4. Free Bird by Lynard SKynard. I hate this song. Oh, oh, oh, I hate this song. And everyone just loves it. Go figure.

5. Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. I love this band. I hate this song. It sounds like something a hair band would write up in five minutes.

And can someone explain the appeal of the Grateful Dead? Backmasking messages that state "You spend every last dollar you own following the band around the country"? I mean, they're not bad. But bikers always tell me they put on the greatest show on earth, but every clip I have seen of them has been rather meh. Frankly, I blame drugs.

I'll think of more later.

SanJoaquinSooner
8/2/2010, 12:13 AM
I agree with Hotel California.

I understand the appeal of free bird. It's orgasmic rock. So is Eli's Coming by 3DogNight.

American Pie was good the first 20 times, then it's tiring.

And I agree with Grateful Dead, overrated.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2010, 12:53 AM
I agree with #3 and #4. You have to be a commie not to like American Pie though.

Leroy Lizard
8/2/2010, 01:48 AM
I agree with #3 and #4. You have to be a commie not to like American Pie though.

Oh, so we HAVE to like it. Kinda' like the Star Spangled Banner.

goingoneight
8/2/2010, 08:29 AM
Just like the guitars in Hotel California. That said, if the solo's notbimmediately coming up, I turn it down. :D

delhalew
8/2/2010, 09:58 AM
There are songs that I hate, but I at least understand why some like them. Some are just an acquired taste. Others are commercially unimaginative, but have a certain beat.

But there are some songs that are wildly popular that I just cannot understand the appeal. Why on Hell does anyone like them?

1. Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics. God I hate this song. I don't know why anyone likes it. It has no beat and the vocals are terrible.

2. American Pie by Don McLean. Not only is the song blah, but everyone gets all worked up over the lyrics. Like, who gives a ****?

3. Hotel California by The Eagles. I don't like anything this group does, but this song's popularity just mystifies me. Another song with overrated lyrics.

4. Free Bird by Lynard SKynard. I hate this song. Oh, oh, oh, I hate this song. And everyone just loves it. Go figure.

5. Black Dog by Led Zeppelin. I love this band. I hate this song. It sounds like something a hair band would write up in five minutes.

And can someone explain the appeal of the Grateful Dead? Backmasking messages that state "You spend every last dollar you own following the band around the country"? I mean, they're not bad. But bikers always tell me they put on the greatest show on earth, but every clip I have seen of them has been rather meh. Frankly, I blame drugs.

1. I like the synth in that song. Its kind of quirky. This is a song that is prolly endeared to me largely by nostalgia, due to being a rare eighties pop song that didn't completely blow.
2. Initially this had some charm, but wore off long ago.
3. There are Eagles songs I like, mostly due to the country flavor of the early stuff and Joe Walsh in the later. This is not one of them.
4. Free bird suffers from the same thing Led Zepplin 4 does for me. I used to like it...now I find it hard to tolerate. I like southern rock bluesy jams, but Freebird is too long winded. Although, I don't get tired of Allmanrothers jams. "The Devil's Rejects" helped revitalize Freebird for me.
5. BD is prolly my least favorite Zep tune AND it's on 4...so I could go the rest of my life without hearing it. Give me Houses of the Holy or The Song Remains the Same.

THe Dead...**** 'em. There are some good songs on American Beauty, but they suck live and hippies smell bad.

LePetomaine
8/2/2010, 01:44 PM
American Pie is about . . . . . . nothing. "Just rhyming". This comes from an interview with McLean I saw a few years ago (one of the first he gave in a very long time). I still like it though, still like his voice.

Hotel California -- who knows? Many of their lyrics have sort of "inside story" meanings. Not mysterious or evil, etc.; just stories that the rest of the world hasn't heard. Still like any live version with Walsh playing.

That's all I got

MR2-Sooner86
8/2/2010, 08:43 PM
1. It's a so so song good to hear every so often.
2. See number one.
3. I HATE this song. The only thing I hate more than this song is the Bible thumpers who say it's a Satanic tune.
4. Too repetitive for my liking.

fadada1
8/2/2010, 08:59 PM
original hotel california (radio version)... ok, i can see it a touch.

live version (from hell freezes over)... FANTASTIC. possibly the best LIVE version of any song other than frampton "do you feel like i do."

jiminy
8/2/2010, 09:08 PM
3. I HATE this song. The only thing I hate more than this song is the Bible thumpers who say it's a Satanic tune.

insert plug for First Baptist Church Tulsa's upcoming sermon series "The Gospel According to the Eagles" starting this Sunday

Leroy Lizard
8/2/2010, 09:14 PM

Maybe they were right after all. :D

Leroy Lizard
8/2/2010, 09:20 PM
Here's another:

Love and Marriage by Frank Sinatra.

Horrible, horrible tune. Childish rhyming sung monotone by a man I cannot stand. (This song would suck if sung by anyone though, so I can't totally blame Frank.) Opening credits for Married with Children were painful.

Frozen Sooner
8/2/2010, 09:24 PM
I don't get how anyone could say "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)" doesn't have a beat.

I don't get "Alabama Song." Then again, I don't get most of what the Doors did. Everyone says they're genius, and to each his own, but it's just not my bag.

sooneron
8/2/2010, 09:49 PM

You may want to look beat up in the dictionary. The song may be repetitive, but that is sort of the point of the song.

It's no wonder that sic'em defends this song. I've never met a girl that didn't want to sing along with ol Don. By the way, Sic'em, Don lives in Canada... does it still make me un-American to be sick of it? I won't even go into what Madonna did to it... gah!

Disagree, partially because my sorry guitar playing *** can sorta follow along on it.

I agree about The Devil's Rejects sorta making me like it again, but Skynrd had much better songs. I don't hate it, but that may be due to the fact that I have a soft spot for songs that seem like two songs rolled into one.

Not my fave Zep song, but I did like it 25 years ago.

Never understood their phenomena . Never will. The Band far > The Dead

Mike, I think Alabama Song was almost a throw away from their first album. I think it was about indulging Jim and his jester/poet mythology.

Lout
8/2/2010, 10:25 PM
I don't get how anyone could say "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)" doesn't have a beat.

I don't get "Alabama Song." Then again, I don't get most of what the Doors did. Everyone says they're genius, and to each his own, but it's just not my bag.

Alabama Song, Whiskey Bar isn't really a Doors song--they didn't write it. It's a Bertolt Brecht song from the late 20's. The Doors changed a few words and omitted a verse. But fair enough, their not right up everyone's alley. I think the Doors get worshiped by teenage punks (like I was) that dig on Morrison's "sex, death" rock star manure. As I get older, their still one of my favorite bands, but I really appreciate the skill of Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger.

My personal WTF Songs:

1) Stand-Up or really anything by Hank Williams Jr. Every time I hear one of his horrible songs, I wish Senior would've thrown a brick at mother's stomach and caused a miscarriage. He's as far from country music as the Black-Eyed Peas.

2) Clocks by Coldplay. I'd rather hear Lid scream "Hook'em Whorns" for four hours straight than hear this petrified turd again.

3) I also despise Hotel California.

SicEmBaylor
8/2/2010, 10:26 PM
Clocks is a great song by a phenomenal band.

sooneron
8/2/2010, 10:47 PM
There, he said it.

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2010, 12:06 AM

Phenomenal band? Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, these are phenomenal bands but...Coldplay? Coldplay!? I mean they're alright but...phenomenal!?

GKeeper316
8/3/2010, 12:36 AM

1. i disagree... sweet dreams has been a fav of mine since it was first out.

2. i like, but can understand your reasoning.

3. agree.

4. i ****ing hate free bird! tuesday's gone. that song's kinda epic. so is simple kind of man. free bird is one of the worst songs ever from an american rock n roll band.

5. only thing i like about black dog is bohnam.

Frozen Sooner
8/3/2010, 12:43 AM
Mike, I think Alabama Song was almost a throw away from their first album. I think it was about indulging Jim and his jester/poet mythology.

I can believe this. I just don't understand why people think it's a good song.

Alabama Song, Whiskey Bar isn't really a Doors song--they didn't write it. It's a Bertolt Brecht song from the late 20's. The Doors changed a few words and omitted a verse. But fair enough, their not right up everyone's alley. I think the Doors get worshiped by teenage punks (like I was) that dig on Morrison's "sex, death" rock star manure. As I get older, their still one of my favorite bands, but I really appreciate the skill of Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger.

I can appreciate the skill with which the musicians play, and I agree that they were certainly so. Just not my thing. Then again, I feel the same way about Rush and Yngwie Malmsteen. Talented as all hell, technically amazing, but there's no way in hell I'm going to listen to them if I have a choice.

GKeeper316
8/3/2010, 12:49 AM
I can appreciate the skill with which the musicians play, and I agree that they were certainly so. Just not my thing. Then again, I feel the same way about Rush and Yngwie Malmsteen. Talented as all hell, technically amazing, but there's no way in hell I'm going to listen to them if I have a choice.

i feel the exact same way about rush. i love getting into arguements with other drummers about their neil peart worship. hes a great technician, but plays with about as much emotion as a toaster. hes just a drum robot. bohnam was the hammer of the gods.

Soonrboy
8/3/2010, 01:04 AM
I don't get the popularity of spirit in the sky...I can't change the channel fast enough.

jiminy
8/3/2010, 06:50 AM
I bet you guys don't like Bohemian Rhapsody either

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 08:24 AM

1. I can see it. Definitely don't like it that much.

2. I can see why again. But the song is a classic.

3. I actually like the version they did for Hell Freezes over better than the studio. But it's not really my favorite Eagles song.

4. Yeah I don't really like this one either. And now it's become a joke because people call for it at random *** concerts.

5. I love the song but I can see why people don't like it. Basically the beat is different from the music. But this song pretty much is everything a good Zeppelin song is all about. Sex, big guitar, big bass, big vocal, and of course Mr. Bonham.

Songs that I can't really stand

Dream On-Aerosmith
Every Rose Has it's Thorn-Poison
Beatles pre-Rubber Soul, I would single out a song but they all kinda sound alike.

sooneron
8/3/2010, 08:57 AM
Beatles pre-Rubber Soul, I would single out a song but they all kinda sound alike.

DISAGREE, Help! Is flipping zehr gut! Hard Days Night doesn't suck so much either. You have to look at the context of the time when those songs came out . The power that some of them emoted was unreal.

Sooner04
8/3/2010, 09:16 AM
The greatest R-n-R song ever written came out before Rubber Soul too. :)

Had to drive from Ardmore to Sayre and back yesterday. Listened to Rubber Soul and Revolver back-to-back (mono versions). Holy crap! How about those two albums being released within a span of eight months. EIGHT MONTHS!

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 09:20 AM
About 11 months later Sgt. Peppers came out. That's a pretty solid 18 months or so.

BU BEAR
8/3/2010, 09:22 AM
I don't get "Tarzan Boy" by Baltimora.

sooneron
8/3/2010, 09:28 AM
yes, tarzan boy is teh suck

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 09:28 AM
DISAGREE, Help! Is flipping zehr gut! Hard Days Night doesn't suck so much either. You have to look at the context of the time when those songs came out . The power that some of them emoted was unreal.

I'll take it back a little bit. There's a few early Beatles songs I like but they are the ones not played on radio that much. Till There Was You, I'll Follow the Sun, She's a Woman to name a couple but the rest kinda just sounds the same to me.

delhalew
8/3/2010, 09:29 AM
I'm glad I won't have to live with having said "Coldplay is a phenominal band". Can you imagine having that comment following you around?

ndpruitt03
8/3/2010, 09:53 AM
I'm glad I won't have to live with having said "Coldplay is a phenominal band". Can you imagine having that comment following you around?

I'm pretty sure I can't even name a Coldplay song.

GottaHavePride
8/3/2010, 10:34 AM
Coldplay gets lumped right in with Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and the Flaming Lips to me. As in, bands a lot of people flip their **** for, but I think they're boring and have no interest.

EDIT: and "Sweet Dreams" has no beat? There's a bass drum thumping on every single beat. It's early techno. I can agree with not being crazy about the tune, but it definitely has a beat.

Crucifax Autumn
8/3/2010, 10:56 AM
I don't get 99.9% of the **** they play on the radio. Rock, Country, whatever...When I turn on broadcast radio I hear nothing but crap I just can't begin to justify existing. Same goes for eMTyV and Fuse and all that crap. I just don't get it. Music for the masses, LCD style, is just a bad idea. With a few exceptions, mega-popularity of a song is a sign that it sucks. Sucks as in pointless or stupid lyrics, simplistic music, idiotic personality, and a waste of sound.

Jello Biafra
8/3/2010, 11:24 AM

know how we know yer ghey?

i bet you love u sum "fireflys" too dontcha?

SicEmBaylor
8/3/2010, 12:27 PM
know how we know yer ghey?

i bet you love u sum "fireflys" too dontcha?

I draw the line there. I f'in hate that song and that band. It makes me damned near homicidal when I hear it.

HBick
8/3/2010, 01:02 PM
I think you all hate Hotel California because you've heard it more than any other Eagle song. I blame the radio and the media for that.

I like Alabama Song, but I also like the original too. My Dad made me listen to the Doors when I was a kid and I kinda grew up on them. He saw them and Jimi in concert in 66 or early 67 (he saw Jimi Hendrix at the Field House on Campus).

Good call on Love and Marriage, it is annoying.

And personally, I don't get Neil Diamond, never have, never will. The only thing I find bearable is his performance with the Doors during the Last Waltz

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2010, 01:03 PM
Coldplay gets lumped right in with Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and the Flaming Lips to me.

YOU GO TO HELL!

GKeeper316
8/3/2010, 01:04 PM
I don't get 99.9% of the **** they play on the radio. Rock, Country, whatever...When I turn on broadcast radio I hear nothing but crap I just can't begin to justify existing. Same goes for eMTyV and Fuse and all that crap. I just don't get it. Music for the masses, LCD style, is just a bad idea. With a few exceptions, mega-popularity of a song is a sign that it sucks. Sucks as in pointless or stupid lyrics, simplistic music, idiotic personality, and a waste of sound.

http://thespyfm.com/

you're welcome.

TUSooner
8/3/2010, 01:08 PM
I truly hate "Hotel California," and I don't even know why. It's not necessarily the lyrics, but I just hate the whole thing.

"Free Bird" also gets a huge "meh" from me, although I once figured I HAD to like it because I was stoned or something.

fadada1
8/3/2010, 02:15 PM
doesn't peter griffin elude to coldplay's suckitude?

you are wise, peter.

silverwheels
8/3/2010, 05:48 PM
I think you all hate Hotel California because you've heard it more than any other Eagle song. I blame the radio and the media for that.

That, plus the Eagles suck.

Leroy Lizard
8/3/2010, 06:17 PM
Every Rose Has it's Thorn-Poison

Agreed. Throw in Cherry Pie by Warrant.

I guess I'm not the only one. (Sorry to do that to you.)

Leroy Lizard
8/3/2010, 06:19 PM
Coldplay gets lumped right in with Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and the Flaming Lips to me. As in, bands a lot of people flip their **** for, but I think they're boring and have no interest.

EDIT: and "Sweet Dreams" has no beat?

The beat is lazy and stays there. It sounds like it is warming up to something pretty cool, but never does.

Jacie
8/3/2010, 06:29 PM
What I get from this thread is music brings out the emotion on this board almost as much as a debate about evolution/global warming/Mustang or Camaro/which Sooner football team/player/coach is/was the greatest and you get the idea.

FTR, I am no fan of any of #'s 1-5 nor the Grateful Dead.

PrideTrombone
8/3/2010, 07:53 PM
My 5:

1. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. There, I said it. I hate this song. Yes, I realize I'm probably the only one. In the world. I don't care. I hate it. I could've included "We Are the Champions" for Queen as well.

2. "Pour Some Sugar on Me", Def Leppard. Should only be played in strip clubs, and only for aging dancers with C-section scars.

3. Anything by KISS. I guess all you need to do to last a long time as a band is put on some ridiculous looking make-up, because none of the music is any good.

4. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Without Kurt Cobain's suicide, no one remembers this song.

5. "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. Naaaaaaa naaaa naaaaa na na naaaaaa naaaaaa. Genius, right? Naaaa.

GKeeper316
8/3/2010, 08:27 PM
The beat is lazy and stays there. It sounds like it is warming up to something pretty cool, but never does.

sweet dreams is actually a complex song, rhythmically speaking

Leroy Lizard
8/3/2010, 08:46 PM
3. Anything by KISS. I guess all you need to do to last a long time as a band is put on some ridiculous looking make-up, because none of the music is any good.

4. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana. Without Kurt Cobain's suicide, no one remembers this song.

5. "Hey Jude" by The Beatles. Naaaaaaa naaaa naaaaa na na naaaaaa naaaaaa. Genius, right? Naaaa.

Agreed on all three. But Kiss' songs aren't so much bad, but lame. Visually, they look heavy metal. But most of their stuff is commercial pop.

MR2-Sooner86
8/3/2010, 09:16 PM
There isn't one song I can pick out but this is without a doubt the most overrated piece of **** to ever be produced by the music industry and people ate it up with a spoon. Why? They're ****ing idiots that's why who wouldn't know a good song if it bit them in the ***.

http://motherjones.com/files/legacy/riff_blog/mojo-photo-thriller.jpg

silverwheels
8/3/2010, 10:03 PM
Epic fail.

Lout
8/4/2010, 03:18 AM
My 5:

Agreed this song isn't that good, and any member of Nirvana, living or dead, would also agree this wasn't their best. However, I'm just going to blatantly use your post to plug their "Unplugged" performance. It might be a generational thing, but I don't know a single person who disagrees with ranking the Unplugged album as a top ten or top five album of the 90's. If I could listen to only 5 songs the rest of my life, "Where did you sleep last night?" from this performance would definitely be on the list.

Crucifax Autumn
8/4/2010, 03:20 AM
But the best thing on that entire unplugged show is a Bowie cover.

Leroy Lizard
8/4/2010, 03:22 AM
Agreed this song isn't that good, and any member of Nirvana, living or dead, would also agree this wasn't their best. However, I'm just going to blatantly use your post to plug their "Unplugged" performance. It might be a generational thing, but I don't know a single person who disagrees with ranking the Unplugged album as a top ten or top five album of the 90's. If I could listen to only 5 songs the rest of my life, "Where did you sleep last night?" from this performance would definitely be on the list.

I liked Nirvana's cover of Lake of Fire and The Man Who Sold the World. But not much else.

Crucifax Autumn
8/4/2010, 03:28 AM
^This, particularly after Bleach and them being oversaturated and unjustly worshipped as the second coming of EVERYONE EVER.

GKeeper316
8/4/2010, 03:36 AM
jesus doesn't want me for a sunbeam is easily the best song from the unplugged performance. man who sold the world was great tho... hell every song was great, but jesus was the best imo

lake of fire wasn't technically a cover, since the meatpuppets were on stage playing with kurt, dave and chris... i think pat was up there playing too, but i no longer have my vhs tape of the performance, so i couldnt be sure.

ndpruitt03
8/4/2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah Nirvana's unplugged was really good. I never really liked their heavier stuff that much. Teen Spirit may be their worst song. Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam, Where Did You Sleep Last Night, The Man Who Sold the World, About a Girl, Come As You Are, all great versions. Dumb was another good one.

sooneron
8/4/2010, 11:09 AM

http://www.1019rxp.com/

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 11:13 AM
i listen mostly only to goldie oldies, 50s,60s & some 70s.

one of my favorites from the 70s is "baker street, by jerry rafferty.

also from the 70s , "Brandi" by looking glass.

PDXsooner
8/4/2010, 11:19 AM
This is like debating art. I think the Mona Lisa is an absolute piece of crap. I remember as a kid going to the Louvre, waiting in line, and standing there like "Are you kidding"? I couldn't believe people made such a big deal out of the portrait of some frumpy, fat chick.

OhU1
8/4/2010, 12:18 PM
My 5:

1. "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen. There, I said it. I hate this song. Yes, I realize I'm probably the only one. In the world. I don't care. I hate it. I could've included "We Are the Champions" for Queen as well.

Yep.

Add Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" to my list. Monotonous, says the word "cocaine" about 30 times. Yawn.

Leroy Lizard
8/4/2010, 12:42 PM
Cocaine was popular because of the lyrics. But it does have a decent riff. I Shot the Sheriff is worse. I can handle the Bob Marley version better.

Leroy Lizard
8/4/2010, 12:44 PM
i listen mostly only to goldie oldies, 50s,60s & some 70s.

one of my favorites from the 70s is "baker street, by jerry rafferty.

also from the 70s , "Brandi" by looking glass.

I think we're off topic here. (I like Gerry Rafferty. Never heard of "Brandi")

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 02:35 PM
off topic yes, brandi was popular about 1972.

i think "lookin glass" was a one hit wonder.

anyone popular from 1980 till now, good chance i haven't heard of them.

in 70s when disco became popular, i drifted away. with "rap" , i drifted further.

texaspokieokie
8/4/2010, 02:48 PM
more on topic;

american pie is much longer than it is good. quantity over quality.

i like "hotel CA, it's OK.

i like "free bird" a little better, i really like some of Skynard's stull.

i'm not familar with the other 2.

i do like "led zeppelin", tho.

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 08:45 PM
Most rap songs I don't get.

Leroy Lizard
8/4/2010, 09:13 PM

I liked some of the old Jamaican rap, like Yellowman. He had talent, though, so he was completely unlike modern-day rap artists.

AZSOONER
8/4/2010, 11:16 PM
He probably had a story, instead of rhyming unfold with fold. "that's how the story unfolds, you get a new hand soon after you fold"

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 02:39 AM
He probably had a story, instead of rhyming unfold with fold. "that's how the story unfolds, you get a new hand soon after you fold"

It helps when 10% of your vocabulary rhymes with "truck" or "sick."

BTW, with his looks, Yellowman needed to be talented. (Actually, his lyrics were made on the fly. He would listen to the beat one time, then play it again and start chanting. Completely improvised.)

http://www.kingyellowman.com/Images/lyrics.gif

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 01:26 PM

Let me help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvY38j7JdCk

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 03:21 PM
Dude, the beat for Sweet Dreams is solid. Maybe it's because I have memories of that song being turned up to 11 and being on a dance floor and people going nuts, the bass line rattling pictures off the walls.

And while the vast majority of rappers today do suck, there are extremely talented exceptions. Jay-Z and Eminem chief among them. Try listening to some of the internal rhymes and slant rhymes Eminem pulls off and tell me he doesn't have talent.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 03:51 PM
Jay-Z and Eminem aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Big Boi's new album is incredible, though.

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 03:58 PM
Jay isn't as good, I agree. But Eminem's new album is pretty good evidence that he hasn't lost much, if any at all. And yes, Big Boi is a badass. I've always loved his stuff since southernplayalistik...

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 05:38 PM
Jay isn't as good, I agree. But Eminem's new album is pretty good evidence that he hasn't lost much, if any at all. And yes, Big Boi is a badass.

Yeah, Big Boi is a regular ****ing poet. Peter Gabriel, take note of THIS:

Put that bitch in smash mode!
Boo, I got a back up plan to the back up plan
To back up my back up plan
(And one and two, now you know what to do)
Mother-****er let's go
Yeah-yeah, Let's go

[Amazingly enough, the only words that reach past four letters so far are "mother-****er" and "bitch."]

Put your back into it like you Grandma do it, let's go [And "Grandma"]
A-Town!

[It sounds like he has a back up plan that he uses to back up his back up plan. Mother****er.]

I knew I was wrooong for thinking that she caaaared
I knew all alooong, that's why I stay prepaaared

[No one will ever accuse Big Boi of using simple rhyming patterns. No sir!]

{And one and two, now you know what to do}
My nigga what was I to do, but find someone elseeeeeeeeee
(Boo, I got a back up plan to the back up plan
To back up my back up plan)

Now I know I must be wrooooooooong
To dis SB's favorite sooooooooong
But I simply can't address
What appears to be a mess

Mother-****er yeah!

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 05:43 PM
Don't act like crappy lyrics are exclusive to hip hop.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 05:46 PM
Don't act like crappy lyrics are exclusive to hip hop.

Dude, I can't understand you. Maybe if you talked like this...

Mother-****er, boo-***! Mother-****er!! ****in' get down! Get down! Go to A-town!!

Mother-****er!

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that does seem like it's more on your level.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah, that does seem like it's more on your level.

Yeah, man. Because this is one white boy who's gonna look cool by talking gangsta.

Mother-****er.

http://media.theonion.com/images/personalities/personality/1019/character1_jpg_90x150_upscale_q85.jpg

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 05:58 PM
Yep, you are totally cool.

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 06:09 PM
Most all commercial rap artists are ****. Lets go underground shall we..

P.O.S.
Eyedea and Abilities
Atmosphere
Cage
Brother Ali
Astronautalis

Give those guys a good shake and see what you think. Ignore the Jay-Z and Big Boi bull****.

ndpruitt03
8/5/2010, 06:12 PM
Depends on who it is in rap but I think most newer music has a lot of bad lyrics. Not just exclusive to rap. I will say Eminem is really good with his lyrics and does a great job putting songs together. But finding really good music anymore is getting harder and harder IMO. It's not just with rap but in all genres.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 06:14 PM
I miss A Tribe Called Quest.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 06:16 PM
But finding really good music anymore is getting harder and harder IMO. It's not just with rap but in all genres.

Not really. If you mean on the radio, then yes, but plenty of good music is still being made.

Sooner24
8/5/2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah, man. Because this is one white boy who's gonna look cool by talking gangsta.

Mother-****er.

http://media.theonion.com/images/personalities/personality/1019/character1_jpg_90x150_upscale_q85.jpg

When did Sic'em grow a mustache?

Sooner24
8/5/2010, 07:00 PM
Can't stand "Every Breath You Take".

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 07:07 PM
Can't stand "Every Breath You Take".

I hate it too, but I see why some (namely chicks) like it. That goes for a lot of The Police's and Sting's softer stuff. This thread is about the songs we hate and we cannot see how anyone else can possibly like them. (And maybe that's how you feel about the song.)

delhalew
8/5/2010, 07:54 PM
The thing to like about Big Boi/Outkast is that he is smooth. If you want smooth and intelligent lyrics, I find Mos Def fits the bill.

soonerborn30
8/5/2010, 08:30 PM
Way to pick and choose your lyrics there, Larry. Big Boi and his partner Andre are widely regarded in the rap business as some of the best, most innovative and trend setting performers in the game. So I'll drop a little of your own logic on you: who knows more about rap? Them (Fat Joe, Eminem, Dr. Dre, et al)? Or you?

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 08:50 PM
Way to pick and choose your lyrics there, Larry. Big Boi and his partner Andre are widely regarded in the rap business as some of the best, most innovative and trend setting performers in the game. So I'll drop a little of your own logic on you: who knows more about rap? Them (Fat Joe, Eminem, Dr. Dre, et al)? Or you?

You're right. I've been terribly unfair to Mr. Boi. Here are the lyrics in their entirety. Now I have a fresh perspective. If George Will could write rap, it would probably look like the following:

Put that bitch in smash mode!
Mother****er let's go
Yeah-yeah, Let's go
Put your back into it like you Grandma do it, let's go
A-Town!

I knew I was wrooong for thinking that she caaaared
I knew all alooong, that's whay I stay prepaaared
{And one and two, now you know what to do}
My nigga what was I to do, but find someone elseeeeeeeeee
(Boo, I got a back up plan to the back up plan
To back up my back up plan)

This is how it starts
Momma fell heel over head [??? (Technically, I guess it's right)and says you was the one
Big Boi, but she calls me Antwan
So just for fun, I went along with hon

[Antwan does rhyme with hon. So you gotta give him credit here.]

I was young, full of cum, :eek: done for the skeet skeet, not dumb [I'd like to offer my opinion]
We would meet undiscretely discrete undiscretely discrete -- man, that's some heavy vocabulary

She in heat like beitch on a leash (BIIITCH!)
No disrespect, but metaphorically she's a beeeeast Metaphorically she's a beast? Wow!! It's like Mortimer Adler took control of the microphone.

No teasing, no whining
Just bumping and grinding til we got slimey :eek:
Yeah, from that sweet stick thang :eek:, can't complain
I was hooked on the box like the hot Krispy Cremes

Well it didn't take long for me to game peeep
It was week after week, I was seeing the same freak
I be damned if we posing for pictures and throwing rice
Maybe throwing up in Vegas :eek: while Daddy's on the dice
I might (might) just put you on the chopping block tonight
Act right and you can get my second string spotlight
But if you freaking, I'm speaking clean as a whistle
This'll be the last official offer before dismissal
No teasing, no whining
Just bumping and grinding til we got slimey
Yeah, got the latex for the fit :eek:
Because she trying to +trick Daddy+, Slip-N-Slide on this dick!

You are not the one, you are not the one
You can be my two, you can be my two
And one and one [is two, right?], everybody have fun
And one and one, everybody have fun

Now two, now two, [yep, it's two] I'm give her back to you
I'm through, nigga
I don [Ricky Ricardo, or a bad translation?] had enough of the nasty stuff
One, two, yeah!

Okay, so we have cum, sweet sticky thang, and latex.

He's gay. (And now we know the role of Andre, his "partner." (You said it; I didn't.) My guess is Andre is the A-Town in the lyrics. Heh.)

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2010, 08:57 PM
Brilliant!

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 08:58 PM
The thing to like about Big Boi/Outkast is that he is smooth. If you want smooth and intelligent lyrics, I find Mos Def fits the bill.

Yeah, Mos Def is like a regular ****in' Barry White:

Say ho, everybody say ho
By the way yo
I said shake your soul like way back in the day-yo
By the way yo, everybody say ho
Everybody say hooooo- hooo
Everybody say ho

[Okay, okay. "Ho!" There, I said it!]

And check it out now
Who is the cat eatin out on the town
And make the whole dining room turn they head round
Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
He got the speakers in the trunk with the bass on crunk
Who be ridin up in the highrise elevator
Other tenants who be prayin they ain't the new neighbor
Mr Nigga, Nigga Nigga
They try to play him like a chump cause he got what they want

It doesn't get any better than this!*

* What I mean is: The lyrics don't improve. If anything, they get worse.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 08:59 PM
Leroy, just when I think you couldn't possibly me more of a tool, you go looking for Dickens in a happy fun time rap song. You will argue the stupidest **** to the benefit of no one. Each day you fall lower in the food chain. You really do deserve a medal of some kind.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 09:07 PM
Leroy must lead a sad life.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 09:08 PM
Leroy, just when I think you couldn't possibly me more of a tool, you go looking for Dickens in a happy fun time rap song.

Dickens!?! Hell, I would settle for Larry Flynt.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 09:17 PM
Leroy must lead a sad life.

(deleted)

delhalew
8/5/2010, 09:25 PM
Leroy, I know I am wasting my time with you, but reading mos def lyrics is fun...so I get something out of it

"Fear Not Of Man"[Mos Def]Bismillah ir Rahman ir Raheem
If you can hear me ladies and gentlemen then I'm very happy that you came here..Ooh-ooooooooooohhhh, ooh-ooooooooooooooohh-WHEEEEE!!!
That was for Brooklyn..Ha ha, we get it everytime
You got me on? Ohh
Shout out to all of my crew, East-West, North-South
All the continent, Europe, all abroad international
Bring it in, bring it in, bring it in, bring it inIt's a lot of things goin on y'all
21st century is comin
20th century almost done
A lot of things have changed
A lot of things have not, mainly us
We gon' get it together right? I believe that
Listen.. people be askin me all the time,"Yo Mos, what's gettin ready to happen with Hip-Hop?"(Where do you think Hip-Hop is goin?)
I tell em, "You know what's gonna happen with Hip-Hop? Whatever's happening with us"If we smoked out, Hip-Hop is gonna be smoked out
If we doin alright, Hip-Hop is gonna be doin alright
People talk about Hip-Hop like it's some giant livin in the hillside comin down to visit the towns people
We (are) Hip-Hop Me, you, everybody, we are Hip-Hop
So Hip-Hop is goin where we goin
So the next time you ask yourself where Hip-Hop is goinask yourself.. where am I goin? How am I doin?Til you get a clear idea
So.. if Hip-Hop is about the people and the.. Hip-Hop won't get better until the people get better then how do people get better? (Hmmmm...)Well, from my understanding people get betterwhen they start to understand that, they are valuable
And they not valuable because they got a whole lot of money or cause somebody, think they sexy but they valuable caause they been created by God
And God, makes you valuable
And whether or not you, recognize that value is one thing
You got a lot of socities and governmentstryin to be God, wishin that they were God
They wanna create satellites and cameras everywhere and make you think they got the all-seein eye
Eh.. I guess The Last Poets wasn't, too far off when they said that certain people got a God Complex
I believe it's true
I don't get phased out by none of that, none of that helicopters, the TV screens, the newscasters, the..satellite dishes.. they just, wishin
They can't really never do that
When they tell me to fear they law
When they tell me to try tohave some fear in my heart behind the things that they do
This is what I think in my mind
And this is what I say to them
And this is what I'm sayin, to you check itAll over the world hearts pound with the rhythm
Fear not of men because men must die
Mind over matter and soul before flesh
Angels for the pain keep a record in time which is passin and runnin like a caravan freighter
The world is overrun with the wealthy and the wicked
But God is sufficient in disposin of affairs
Gunmen and stockholders try to merit my fear
But God is sufficient over plans they prepared
Mos Def in the flesh, where you at, right hereon this place called Earth, holdin down my square
Bout to do it for y'all, and y'all at the fair
So just bounce, come on bounceB-b-bounce b-bounce b-bounce-bounce
And just.. .. just step two three
Just step two three andstep two..two three and..One two three and four
One two three and fourOnce again
All over the world hearts pound with the rhythm
Fear not of men because men must die
Mind over matter and soul before flesh
Angels for the pain keep a record in timewhich is passin and runnin like a caravan freighter
The world is overrun with the wealthy and the wicked
But God is sufficient in disposin of affairs
Gunmen and stockholders try to merit your fear
But God is sufficient over plans they prepared
Mos Def in the flesh, where you at, right hereon this place called Earth, holdin down my square
Bout to represent in your whole atmosphere
Bout to represent in your whole atmosphereto your atmosphere, to your atmosphere
Oh-ooooooohhhhhhhhhh!That was for you - and Brooklyn too!

Collier11
8/5/2010, 09:33 PM
I like Jay Z but ive never really understood the worship of him as the greatest rapper of our time? Eminem is sick as hell, at first I didnt really like his new album but the more I listen to it, it is freaking unreal.

As far as my taste goes, my 3 favorite bands are pretty different styles...Tool, Coldplay, Arcade Fire

Collier11
8/5/2010, 09:35 PM

Not a big fan although the Manson version is Bad azz

Its not a bad song, more popular because of the meaning id agree

Never really been a huge fan of the Eagles, this is one of their better songs

Free Bird is an American Classic and a mind f*ck all rolled into one

Great song, plain and simple

Never thought much of Grateful Dead

A Sooner in Texas
8/5/2010, 09:36 PM
Mos Def don't.
What the hell is clever or literary or even halfway talented about those "lyrics"?
I almost never agree with Leroy (and his love of Nina Hagen still completely eludes me), but he's right on point with what he's saying about rap and its lyrics. And then there's the same monotonous beat over and over and over again. I don't get it.
The best music brings you joy, anger, sadness...it makes you think and it makes you feel. The guy in my avvie wrote some of the best. Check out "All Things Must Pass" if you're not familiar with it.

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 09:37 PM
Leroy, take into regard my earlier post about underground artists. It may change some of your feelings regarding the genre.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 09:38 PM
"Life In Marvelous Times"
Bright moments...Bright moments always come back Vivid.
The 5th great was epic citywide test pressure
The pre-crack era!
Mr. Schollmen, what a prick, attitude matches wardrobe, uglier then sin.
This is bed stuy 82'..9th floor 3 tiny rooms one view.
Buck-town, Roosevelt houseThey green grass is greenOur green grass is brown.
Shots rang my phone wasn't touchtone
A heavy beef in the streetET had to flee
Grey heavens! good grief!Hungry bellies!Bright gold on they teeth!
The windows on the Ave look like sad eyes
They fix their sharp gaze on you when you pass by
And if you dare to stand, you can see em cry
You can watch em scowl
Feel them prowl
Wall and study every inch about you
Fast math measuring what you amount to
The laughter, the screams!The numeral, the song of Psalms
The book of dreams!
Ends don't meet where the arms can't reach
Mean streets
Even when its free it ain't cheap.
On going saga, terminal diagnosis,Basic survival requires super heroics.
No space in the budget for a cakeIt's when you gotta fly by night to save the day
Crash-landings routinely happen
Some survive, others never rise from the ashes.
Watching asphalt and observing the Sabbath.
Creates an ecstatic and there you have it
From teenage love
Praying in tongueStrange fruit, batty boots and native drums
From hence I come
So here we go
Signs and wonders all along the road
Some lies open
Some lies close
Some stretchers role with no lies at all.
Some riders don't know what they riding for
Hands on the wheel and their mind is gone
Wherever you ride, whatever your name,This raw cold life is a beautiful thing
And we are alive in amazing times
Delicate hearts, diabolical minds
Revelations, hatred, love and war.
And more and more and more and more
And more of less than ever before
It's just too much more for your mind to absorb
It's scary like hell, but there's no doubt
We can't be alive in no time but... NOW!!!

Damn. I just found out copy/paste with a Blackberry mangles the **** out of a document.

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2010, 09:39 PM
Smart Popular Rapper.

Those 3 words don't go together. Any 2 0f them I might agree with on occasion, but all 3...no.

soonerinkaty
Most all commercial rap artists are ****. Lets go underground shall we..

P.O.S.
Eyedea and Abilities
Atmosphere
Cage
Brother Ali
Astronautalis

Give those guys a good shake and see what you think. Ignore the Jay-Z and Big Boi bull****.

Ignore MTV

Collier11
Great thing about music is that it speaks differently to everyone

delhalew
8/5/2010, 09:44 PM
Leroy, take into regard my earlier post about underground artists. It may change some of your feelings regarding the genre.

Mos Def/Blackstar used to be underground. You have to go pretty far underground to find an artist not speaking ebonics.

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 09:47 PM
Dude, please listen to an artist or two that i referenced. ZERO ebonics.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 09:49 PM
(deleted)

Exactly.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 09:49 PM
Mos Def is one of the most talented and genuine rappers there is, thats why he gets no notoriety...to make it on the radio you have to have a good beat and sh*tty lyrics for the most part

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 09:50 PM
Atmosphere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--WsoQt6U4o

Eyedea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVR17FPNv9I

P.O.S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OpHJUJIrpU

Cage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ko839F45g&feature=related

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, in case you were wondering, I don't know how to post vids.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 09:51 PM
I wish I could find out who sings the songs at the end of Trueblood. They find great stuff.
How's this for a lyric [sexy trashy country girl singing]hells bells, what you trying to sell( bla bla bla) I guess that's what ya get. (Bla bla bla)
You say brown liquer make ya sleep alright...cocaine make ya grind your teeth all night.

Lol...maybe you had to be there.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 09:52 PM
look up trueblood soundtrack

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 09:53 PM
Mos Def don't.
What the hell is clever or literary or even halfway talented about those "lyrics"?
I almost never agree with Leroy (and his love of Nina Hagen still completely eludes me), but he's right on point with what he's saying about rap and its lyrics. And then there's the same monotonous beat over and over and over again. I don't get it.
The best music brings you joy, anger, sadness...it makes you think and it makes you feel. The guy in my avvie wrote some of the best. Check out "All Things Must Pass" if you're not familiar with it.

Yeah, because all rap has lyrics like that, just like all rock has incredibly deep and moving lyrics. Right.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 09:54 PM
or country for that matter, lol

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 09:56 PM
Mos Def don't.

Get rid of the rapper and I could listen to it. But then again, I love trance (which has bad lyrics all its own).

I could tell you why rap is so popular, but you wouldn't like it. (Well, maybe YOU would.)

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 10:01 PM
or country for that matter, lol

Contemporary country makes me want to go on a panda-killing spree.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 10:05 PM
Contemporary country makes me want to go on a panda-killing spree.

Okay, we agree on something. (Knock my Johnny Cash or Buck Owens and I will come fighting back at ya'.)

delhalew
8/5/2010, 10:07 PM
Leroy goes out and finds a song calles "Mr Nigga"...what the hell would you expect from that song.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 10:10 PM
look up trueblood soundtrack

I've googled it before with no luck. They might have released a soundtrack album by now. I'll remember to try when I'm home... Maybe someone finally compiled a list.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 10:12 PM
Leroy goes out and finds a song calles "Mr Nigga"...what the hell would you expect from that song.

He also seems to have missed the entire point of the song.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 10:12 PM
I've googled it before with no luck. They might have released a soundtrack album by now. I'll remember to try when I'm home... Maybe someone finally compiled a list.

Heres a list of all of their soundtracks

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=True+blood&x=0&y=0&ih=5_4_0_0_0_0_0_0_1_1.94_85&fsc=-1

GKeeper316
8/5/2010, 10:20 PM
rap is in the same boat as country... anything innovative is its genre was done 20 years ago. now its just stagnating in its own mediocrity.

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 10:22 PM
I feel like I'm on everyone's ignore list. Go back and listen to the songs I linked too.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 10:28 PM
I feel like I'm on everyone's ignore list. Go back and listen to the songs I linked too.

Lol. I commented in a spek comment. It's not worth trying to watch vids on my phone. I'll check em out later.

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 10:31 PM
Tupac, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, or any other rapper who thinks he's the **** when it comes to music I'll never get.

Dude you're a ****ing Retard Attempting Poetry and it's NOT music.

As for all you other **** for brains out there Jimi Hendrix was the best black musician ever. If one of you little ****ers says DMX or Tupac or any of these other little ****ers I swear I'll slap the snot out of you and then kick your *** for having a running nose. SHUT THE **** UP UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! ****! Listen to some real god damn music before you say, "50 Cent has more raw talent than Hendrix ever had."

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 10:31 PM
rap is in the same boat as country... anything innovative is its genre was done 20 years ago. now its just stagnating in its own mediocrity.

If you're talking about mainstream rap and country, then yes. Don't know why anyone would listen to either, anyway.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 10:32 PM
Tupac, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, or any other rapper who thinks he's the **** when it comes to music.

As for all you other **** for brains out there Jimi Hendrix was the best black musician ever. If one of you little ****ers says DMX or Tupac or any of these other little ****ers I swear I'll slap the snot out of you and then kick your *** for having a running nose. SHUT THE **** UP UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IN THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! ****! Listen to some real god damn music before you say, "50 Cent has more raw talent than Hendrix ever had."

Actually, of that list Kanye (even though I cant stand him) and Dr. Dre are amazingly talented and put out good stuff, whether its as a rapper or producer.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 10:33 PM
Tupac, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, or any other rapper who thinks he's the **** when it comes to music.

I love Hendrix, but come on. 50 Cent got shot like eleventy times. Surviving that takes more raw talent than setting a guitar on fire on stage.

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 10:33 PM
Tupac, Kanye West, 50 Cent, Dr. Dre, or any other rapper who thinks he's the **** when it comes to music I'll never get.

Dude put your **** away. No body has said anything along those lines.

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 10:36 PM
I love Hendrix, but come on. 50 Cent got shot like eleventy times. Surviving that takes more raw talent than setting a guitar on fire on stage.

I hate hearing it. I've heard..

"If Tupac lived he would've eclipsed Hendrix easily and nobody would've remembered him."
"Hendrix was alright with a guitar."
"Hendrix just could play the guitar and not that well while (50 Cent/Tupac/**** head) writes real music that speaks to you."
"Hendrix played rock and real rap like Tupac that sends a message will always be better than stupid rock."

:mad:

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 10:37 PM
Dude put your **** away. No body has said anything along those lines.

Did anybody? No.

This thread is about songs/music I don't get and I don't get rap and why anybody thinks it's the best thing ever.

soonerinkaty
8/5/2010, 10:38 PM
Did anybody? No.

This thread is about songs/music I don't get and I don't get rap and why anybody thinks it's the best thing ever.

Oh, my bad then.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 10:38 PM

Rap has its own unique problems. The problem country has is that its fan base constrains the sound. Venture off and you end up classified as alternative (e.g., Neko Case, who is a goddess). Also, the lyrics are TOO clever; they need to lay off the grade-school metaphors and similes.

The problem with rap is that it is almost entirely producer driven. It's the guys that create the beat that make or break the song. You could take almost any popular rap tune, swap out the "singer" with a speech from a politician, and it would still sell. The singers have zero talent and make it purely on their attitude and persona.

Listen to a rap song with just the vocal track, and the lack of talent is overwhelming. Lay down a great beat on it, and you have a big seller.

Now, I hope that some of you haven't started to dislike me.

Collier11
8/5/2010, 10:39 PM
I enjoy alot of rap music but the problem with rap is that people like Soulja Boy and his mindless, sorry *** rap is popular when there is no way it should be

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 10:41 PM

"If Tupac lived he would've eclipsed Hendrix easily and nobody would've remembered him."
"Hendrix just could play the guitar and not that well while (50 Cent/Tupac/**** head) writes real music that speaks to you."
"Hendrix played rock and real rap like Tupac that sends a message will always be better than stupid rock."

I don't like Hendrix. When I hear a cut of his I quickly change the channel. But give me a freakin' break.

Leroy Lizard
8/5/2010, 10:43 PM
Oh, my bad then.

And to set the story straight, I was responding to those that talked up Death Moss or Def Mof or whatever the Hell he is called. I hold no opinion of POS or the other three artists you listed.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 10:50 PM
And to set the story straight, I was responding to those that talked up Death Moss or Def Mof or whatever the Hell he is called. I hold no opinion of POS or the other three artists you listed.

Mos Def was a response to you finding the stupidest lyrics you could find and throwing it up. It was supposed to demonstrate that not all hip hop is for booty shaking...completely lost on you, of course.
You just reminded me that Mos Def is so good he has a tendency to go a capela.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 10:52 PM
Love me some Hendrix

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 10:57 PM

Way to miss the the joke. Besides, not everyone relates to rock and roll more than everything else, if at all.

And Hendrix is the best black musician ever? He may not even be the best black guitarist ever.

Lout
8/5/2010, 11:00 PM
Early rap was something really unique and quite excellent. Try some Sugar Hill Gang or Grand Master Flash.

And I don't get Toby Keith. I'm really bummed that he's a famous Oklahoman and Sooner. I'd expect his bumpkin antics from the likes of Stoolwater, but then again, Moore is almost as big a blight on our state as that town.

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 11:10 PM
Way to miss the the joke. Besides, not everyone relates to rock and roll more than everything else, if at all.

No not everybody relates to rock and roll the way they do other forms of music like jazz, classical, etc. However, trying to make a rhyme with the words f*ck, b*tch, n*gger, or crunk in there as often as possible to a drum beat is not music.

Rap, like country, today is the same songs regurgitated over and over again glorifying a culture that shouldn't be glorified.

And Hendrix is the best black musician ever? He may not even be the best black guitarist ever.

He might not be the best ever but when you take a guitar and flip it around so you can play it left handed and learn to play upside down, yeah, you're pretty damn good.

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2010, 11:15 PM
I wish I could find out who sings the songs at the end of Trueblood. They find great stuff.
How's this for a lyric [sexy trashy country girl singing]hells bells, what you trying to sell( bla bla bla) I guess that's what ya get. (Bla bla bla)
You say brown liquer make ya sleep alright...cocaine make ya grind your teeth all night.

Lol...maybe you had to be there.

Here is a "true" listing, including music not on the soundtrack releases:

http://true-blood.tv/Music/Music.php

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 11:17 PM
No not everybody relates to rock and roll the way they do other forms of music like jazz, classical, etc. However, trying to make a rhyme with the words f*ck, b*tch, n*gger, or crunk in there as often as possible to a drum beat is not music.

Once again, not every rap song is like that. What if I decided that every rock song was like whatever **** Nickelback has come out with recently? Or every country song sounds like Rascal Flatts?

He might not be the best ever but when you take a guitar and flip it around so you can play it left handed and learn to play upside down, yeah, you're pretty damn good.

I didn't say he wasn't pretty damn good. But to say he's the best black musician ever is disregarding quite a few incredibly talented artists from other genres.

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2010, 11:19 PM
The dude from King's X is an INCREDIBLY talented black musician. Thus their lack of popularity.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 11:29 PM
The dude from King's X is an INCREDIBLY talented black musician. Thus their lack of popularity.

That's the thing, though. Popularity has nothing to do with talent, whether it's pop, rock, rap, or country. The most popular music that appeals to the broadest base will usually have the simplest lyrics and song structure/composition. The people dogging on rap (all rock fans, it seems) in this thread are conveniently ignoring Nickelback, Creed, and all of their buttrock derivatives. Yeah, those guys are true examples of great rock and roll.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 11:50 PM
Here is a "true" listing, including music not on the soundtrack releases:

http://true-blood.tv/Music/Music.php

Man...thank you.
Song: Hells Bells
Artist: Cary Ann Hearst
Scene: End Credits

This is the song that got me.
Almost every end credit song is great.

delhalew
8/5/2010, 11:54 PM
That's the thing, though. Popularity has nothing to do with talent, whether it's pop, rock, rap, or country. The most popular music that appeals to the broadest base will usually have the simplest lyrics and song structure/composition. The people dogging on rap (all rock fans, it seems) in this thread are conveniently ignoring Nickelback, Creed, and all of their buttrock derivatives. Yeah, those guys are true examples of great rock and roll.

I can't think of a single genre in which I can't find something I like...polka maybe...Wierd Al did some ok polka.
I still think the best black musician may be Curtis Mayfield.

silverwheels
8/5/2010, 11:57 PM
I can't think of a single genre in which I can't find something I like

I can. Two words: Jam. Bands.

Although I think my dislike of them has more to do with the hippies, bros, and general ******s that wank over them than the actual music itself.

MR2-Sooner86
8/5/2010, 11:58 PM
Once again, not every rap song is like that. What if I decided that every rock song was like whatever **** Nickelback has come out with recently? Or every country song sounds like Rascal Flatts?

I know, 99% of rap makes the other 1% look bad. Seriously though rap has been out for 20, maybe 25 years? You can argue that it was decent it's first 10 years being something different before it was the same thing over and over. Since the late 90's though it's recycled over and over. You might find something here or there that's fresh but it's hard to find. Also, why aren't there many classic rap stations? A song comes out and is "new" and "fresh" but is quickly replaced by the "newer" and "fresher" song of the month.

If you want to get anything decent nowadays you go underground or indy stuff. You cited Nickelback when it comes to rock, well rock is still undergoing a, "Hey, lets try to be like Nirvana...but cooler!" phase.

I didn't say he wasn't pretty damn good. But to say he's the best black musician ever is disregarding quite a few incredibly talented artists from other genres.

This is true, there were many great guys back in the 40's and such with jazz.

The most popular music that appeals to the broadest base will usually have the simplest lyrics and song structure/composition.

That's the music industry in general though. A reason why they've been losing money. You talk about mainstream being simple and who did I name above? Mainstream guys with the recycled song structures.

There are some who started out alright in the beginning I will admit. Once they became famous though they lost it. ICP I'm looking at you.

The people dogging on rap (all rock fans, it seems) in this thread are conveniently ignoring Nickelback, Creed, and all of their buttrock derivatives. Yeah, those guys are true examples of great rock and roll.

Again, I said Nickelback and many bands today are Nirvanaish in style. I can play this game though. Take the best rock groups ever and then take the best rappers ever and put them head to head. Who changed the industry more and influenced music in general more?

:pop:

Crucifax Autumn
8/5/2010, 11:58 PM
That depends...The noodlers who never go anywhere or reach a climax suck.

edit: that was in reply to the previous post about "jam bands".

delhalew
8/6/2010, 12:02 AM
I can. Two words: Jam. Bands.

Although I think my dislike of them has more to do with the hippies, bros, and general ******s that wank over them than the actual music itself.

I need you to erase this from your memory as though I never said it, but...there are a few Phish songs I like. If you were to quote me in a year...I would deny having ever said that. I feel dirty. Not like hippie dirty, but still...pretty dirty.

Leroy Lizard
8/6/2010, 12:04 AM
Mos Def was a response to you finding the stupidest lyrics you could find and throwing it up.

Stupidest I could find? It was the first song I came across. (And I'm being serious.)

[Hendrix] might not be the best ever but when you take a guitar and flip it around so you can play it left handed and learn to play upside down, yeah, you're pretty damn good.

He was definitely one of the best for his time. Today there are guitarists that can turn circles around him.

I guess that's the way it almost always goes.

If you're new to the guitar, there is no upside down. It wouldn't be any harder to learn upside down than right-side up. It's just a musical instrument strung as EBGDAE rather than EADGBE. (Or did he string it as EADGBE?)

(And Hendrix was strongly creative. Certainly he laid down some sound that had not been done before. Tupac? Not so much.)

Crucifax Autumn
8/6/2010, 12:05 AM
It's not like he didn't re-string it backward.

silverwheels
8/6/2010, 12:09 AM
Again, I said Nickelback and many bands today are Nirvanaish in style. I can play this game though. Take the best rock groups ever and then take the best rappers ever and put them head to head. Who changed the industry more and influenced music in general more?

:pop:

Well, seeing as how rap and hip-hop are considerably younger than rock, it's not really a fair comparison, but let's go ahead and say rock. Then again, that's "in general". Individual results may vary.

That depends...The noodlers who never go anywhere or reach a climax suck.

edit: that was in reply to the previous post about "jam bands".

And annoying laser and light shows that would cause seizures in the crowd if everyone weren't blitzed out of their skulls.

I need you to erase this from your memory as though I never said it, but...there are a few Phish songs I like. If you were to quote me in a year...I would deny having ever said that. I feel dirty. Not like hippie dirty, but still...pretty dirty.

Haha. I'm not denying the talent it takes to be able to improvise like that, but it can be pretty pretentious, and the jam band fans only amplify that. But liking a few songs isn't the same as being one of those people who ramble on forever about how amazingly talented jam bands are and how nobody else can even play any music at all.

AZSOONER
8/7/2010, 04:08 PM
Let me help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvY38j7JdCk

The piano reminds me of being in church.

GottaHavePride
8/7/2010, 05:26 PM
As to Jimi being the greatest black musician ever, I would put Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and possibly Scott Joplin ahead of him on the list.

Oh, and Stevie ****ing Wonder. :)

Leroy Lizard
8/7/2010, 05:39 PM
To get this back on track...

Bela Lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus. I cannot see what everyone else sees in this song.

ndpruitt03
8/7/2010, 05:46 PM
As to Jimi being the greatest black musician ever, I would put Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and possibly Scott Joplin ahead of him on the list.

Robert Johnson

KC//CRIMSON
8/7/2010, 05:47 PM

I still have Gretchen Goes To Nebraska on cassette.

silverwheels
8/7/2010, 08:06 PM

Yes.

Robert Johnson

And yes.

Crucifax Autumn
8/7/2010, 08:17 PM
Don't forget Will Smith!

Leroy Lizard
8/7/2010, 08:19 PM
I heard Hitler could play a mean piano. (Wait. This is my own thread.)

silverwheels
8/7/2010, 08:29 PM
Hitler couldn't paint for ****, though.

Leroy Lizard
8/7/2010, 08:56 PM
It's critics like you who caused WWII.

HBick
8/7/2010, 09:01 PM
Jay-Z and Eminem aren't nearly as good as they used to be. Big Boi's new album is incredible, though.

I like Jay-Z, always have, probably always will. Blueprint 3 was impressive, and the Black Album, well that's just one of the best Hip-Hop albums ever produced. Yes I said produced because without the Neptunes, Eminem, Kanye, and Timbaland that thing wouldn't of been worth mentioning.

oudavid1
8/9/2010, 03:45 AM
Let me ask this....

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfffzRJ9nVs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HfffzRJ9nVs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Does anyone not like this song?

texaspokieokie
8/9/2010, 09:31 AM
yep, good song !!!!

coming from a really OLD dude.

Leroy Lizard
8/9/2010, 12:22 PM
Does anyone not like this song?

So we can assume that you hate this song and don't understand why anyone else can like it?

Dude, AC/DC rocks! WTF is wrong with you? I can't believe that anyone would diss such a great song. What do you listen to in your spare time? The Osmond Family? The Carpenters? Lady Gaga?!?!?!

"Look at me, everybody. I'm OUDavid and I'm a big Lady Gaga fan!!"

:D

oudavid1
8/9/2010, 03:39 PM
So we can assume that you hate this song and don't understand why anyone else can like it?

If this is true than your a texas fan!

ACDC and THE WHO are my to favorite bands, occasionally when im home alone i crank it up and jam for about an hour to songs written before 1990, i cant stand todays music which alienates me with most of my peers but i want to feel like a badass not a ***** rapper or singer who has to be almost naked to attract attention(see Katy Perry or gaga)

"Look at me, everybody. I'm OUDavid and I'm a big Lady Gaga fan!!"

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cG_uDDEnzC4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cG_uDDEnzC4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have watched this video now 2,000 times

still gets me goin everytime

:D[/QUOTE]

soonerborn30
8/9/2010, 03:54 PM

ACDC and THE WHO are my to favorite bands, occasionally when im home alone i crank it up and jam for about an hour to songs written before 1990, i cant stand todays music which alienates me with most of my peers but i want to feel like a badass not a ***** rapper or singer who has to be almost naked to attract attention(see Katy Perry or gaga)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cG_uDDEnzC4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cG_uDDEnzC4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I have watched this video now 2,000 times

still gets me goin everytime

:D[/QUOTE]

All I can say is shame on you for thinking Katy Perry being nearly naked is a bad thing. Shame on you. Go to your room. And I'm taking away your The Who Youtubes. Let that be a lesson to you.

Leroy Lizard
8/9/2010, 06:07 PM

Hint: Go back and read the thread title.

soonerinkaty
8/9/2010, 08:38 PM
Anybody listen to the songs i posted?

Crucifax Autumn
8/9/2010, 10:27 PM
Of course not. That would force people into having an educated opinion!

ouwasp
8/9/2010, 11:20 PM
A song that I really like the sound of but don't "get" is Africa by Toto.

crawfish
8/10/2010, 09:19 AM
I think we're off topic here. (I like Gerry Rafferty. Never heard of "Brandi")

She's a fine girl. What a good wife she would be!

texaspokieokie
8/10/2010, 09:21 AM
but my life,my love & my lady is the seeeeeeea.

sooneron
8/10/2010, 09:30 AM

That comment is made by someone that is lazy. It's made by someone that wants the music to come to them. Go out and seek out new stuff, you'll be surprised. Check out Theophilus London- just shot some stills and vid of him and he is very promising. Any rapper that gives it up to The Smiths...

gypiIfMJYro

tator
8/10/2010, 10:59 AM
I can't believe this conversation is actually happening. What I can believe is everything SicEm posted.

Leroy Lizard
8/10/2010, 04:29 PM
She's a fine girl. What a good wife she would be!

Oh, THAT girl. The song is not my cup of tea, but I can see its popularity.

Leroy Lizard
8/10/2010, 04:35 PM
That comment is made by someone that is lazy. It's made by someone that wants the music to come to them. Go out and seek out new stuff, you'll be surprised. Check out Theophilus London- just shot some stills and vid of him and he is very promising. Any rapper that gives it up to The Smiths...

gypiIfMJYro

You were doing so well until you mentioned The Smiths. ;)

The vid is a cliche. ("Where is he? It's been, like, an hour and he hasn't shown up.")

The song is okay. It's typical rap chanting ("came," "tame," whatever rhymes with "name") , broken by a mildly catchy chorus. The beat is total vanilla.

But I'm not exactly a rap aficionado.

silverwheels
8/10/2010, 05:40 PM
But I'm not exactly a rap aficionado.

We know that already.