PDA

View Full Version : Guerin Emig of Tulsa World says Texas players "as engaging as tree moss"

adoniijahsooner
8/1/2010, 01:28 PM
Nice write-up about the difference in our players compared to the Longhorn players at Big 12 media days. Says our guys "were funny, thoughtful and completely at ease. They put on a great show." I have always been impressed with the way our players carry themselves, that must be a stoops thing for sure.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#9040

If I had to vote today, I'd take Oklahoma to win the South over Texas. Has nothing to do with coaching, quarterbacking or karma. I'd simply base the pick on attitude.

The Sooners came to the DFW Westin for Big 12 Media Days ready and willing to talk.

DeMarco Murray, asked about taking on an Adrian Peterson-type load: "I talked to Coach (Kevin) Wilson when I was making my decision to leave or come back. I knew once Chris (Brown) left I would be the premier guy. They told me I would… I'm definitely ready to take my role as a challenge. I think I deserve it. I think I'm ready for it."

Ryan Broyles, asked to name the best receiver in the Big 12: "Not to sound cocky, but I'd have to say me."

Travis Lewis, asked if his team could get back in the national hunt this year: "Of course. Every year. This is Oklahoma, where if you don't win championships that's considered a failure. We think we're in it."

Jeremy Beal, asked about Lewis: "He's mad at me because on the plane ride down here I said he looked like a Mexican wrestler. I said he was Nacho Libre."

The Sooners were funny, thoughtful and completely at ease. They put on a great show.

An hour after they left the interview room, the four Texas Longhorns took their seats. One of the four – new quarterback Garrett Gilbert – had some interesting things to say. The others were friendly, but about as engaging as tree moss. They might as well have piped in the voice of Charlie Brown's teacher.

Mack Brown, a human PR department, was terrific. But then, I thought Bob Stoops stood toe-to-toe with his Red River rival. Stoops opened up about last year's bad luck and this year's expectations for Murray. He sparred when asked about his recent slump against the Longhorns, and shared stories of trying to hire Turner Gill before Mike Leach, and of playing Augusta National over the summer.

I wasn't the only one who noticed Stoops' energy.

"The last time I saw Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops this relaxed, confident and feisty at media days," wrote Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald, "the Sooners played for a national title."

I doubt they'll be in that position next January, but I like where they are right now. It may not win them any football games, but I like how they presented themselves this week.

Until practice starts at least, let's give the Sooners the early edge over their duller friends in Austin.

-- Guerin Emig

delhalew
8/1/2010, 01:42 PM
lmao...Nacho Libre:D I noticed our guys were in rare form, and the whorns bored me to tears.

AZSOONER
8/1/2010, 01:51 PM
LOL :)

SoonerLB
8/1/2010, 02:00 PM
We may just be closer than he thinks come January! And whorns will STILL be about as engaging as tree moss, LOSER tree moss!

oudavid1
8/1/2010, 05:57 PM
Jeremy Beal, asked about Lewis: "He's mad at me because on the plane ride down here I said he looked like a Mexican wrestler. I said he was Nacho Libre."

Laughed out loud!! Now that is funny.

rawlingsHOH
8/1/2010, 06:43 PM
"The last time I saw Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops this relaxed, confident and feisty at media days," wrote Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald, "the Sooners played for a national title."
Way back in Jan 09? Ages ago!

Frozen Sooner
8/1/2010, 06:51 PM
I remember when our players were focused and boring at media day, and we all made fun of the Texas players for being clowns.

Half a Hundred
8/1/2010, 08:14 PM
I remember when our players were focused and boring at media day, and we all made fun of the Texas players for being clowns.

Different teams with different players with different personalities.

TMcGee86
8/1/2010, 08:41 PM

I was trying not to think this as well. I'm not sure it means anything either way, but I will say that I hope all this fun our guys are having translates on the field.

I do seem to recall another mouthy linebacker telling a heisman winning QB that he stole his boy's trophy. It worked for that group, hopefully it can work for this one as well.