PDA

View Full Version : AD talks about fumbling...

OU-HSV
7/31/2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818ff636/article/contract-status-of-2010-firstround-draft-picks?module=HP_headlines

Adrian Peterson chooses simpler route

After months of public discussion about his fumbling problems, here's what Adrian Peterson came up with:
It's all mental. Basically, it's that simple. Just mentally being aware of my surroundings at all times. Knowing guys are definitely throwing those extra punches to knock it out at all times. So just mentally knowing that I have it high and tight at all times.

In an interview with reporters after the Minnesota Vikings' opening practice of training camp, Peterson said it comes down to holding the ball "high and tight." He added: "When I was holding it low, it gives those guys that space to be able to punch up and knock the ball out at times. Bring it up high. Keep it high and tight. Just getting back to the way it's taught and the way you're supposed to carry the ball. It's pretty simple."

I took exceeding care to bring you the preceding three paragraphs without bias or slant. We've questioned Peterson's approach to the offseason a few times, and it's only fair to give him the opportunity to expound fully on his plan for addressing this issue.

Now, then.

The sympathetic side of me wants to commend Peterson for continuing to compartmentalize the issue and not allow it to consume him. As coach Brad Childress told reporters Friday, Peterson is still a "hell of a talent" who has had "three exceptional years," and that even the best talents still have areas for improvement.

The other side, however, remembers what we discussed in the hours after his disastrous NFC Championship Game. (Notice how similar Peterson's quotes were then.)

Peterson has said often that obsessing over fumbles only creates a compounding effect. But I think he has reached the point where he needs to consider a fundamental intervention this offseason to address the issue.

"With my running style," he said, "it will be something I think about as far as protecting and keeping the ball high. The way I run, the ball kind of gets low. I've got to be more cautious of that: Keeping the ball high. That will be something I'm more conscious of in the offseason."

So here's the reality: Peterson has changed nothing about his approach other than to recommit himself to the points he has always held dear. It's clear he has eschewed a more dramatic intervention along the lines of what New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin effected with tailback Tiki Barber several years ago.

I would have favored the latter -- 20 fumbles in three seasons is enough for me -- but I'm willing to give him the chance to take the "simpler" route.

Because it's true: Carrying the ball "high and tight" will prevent most fumbles. Should we consider it reasonable that a running back can suddenly increase his awareness of something that is drilled from the lowest levels of football? Or did he need to fundamentally change the way he carries the ball to solve this problem? For now, let's give Peterson the benefit of the doubt. We'll find out if he's right soon enough.

Hopefully he's found the recipe to correct the fumbling. He's always going to be a hell of an amazing RB...and I still think he'll be a hall of famer. But it will still of course be very beneficial for him to get a handle on the fumbling. And I think he will.

rawlingsHOH
7/31/2010, 11:16 PM
Fumbles thru 1st 3 seasons...

Adrian Peterson 20

NFL all-time leading rushers
1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

agoo758
8/1/2010, 12:26 AM
Rawlings is absolutely correct. I also think people need to stop worrying so much about the NFC championship game. Games like those happen to even the best players once in a while.

BoulderSooner79
8/1/2010, 12:31 AM

Adrian Peterson 20

1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

Don't confuse people with the facts - their minds are made up.

gaylordfan1
8/1/2010, 02:41 AM

Adrian Peterson 20

1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

So, what? They want to get rid of him? NO! I think any team would love to bitch about their star running back fumbling if he WAS AD!

oumartin
8/1/2010, 06:15 AM
did you guys see Eric Bienemy schooling AD in the film room. He was preaching patience and showed a ton of Chris Johnson. AD was just soaking it all up. You know AD doesn't wanna be shown footage of CJ going for 2,000 yards so I suspect you will see AD explode this year.

They also have all the Minnesota backs using weighted footballs to prevent them from swinging them when they run.

Bienemy says AD left a few hundreds yard on the field due to his impatience.

oh, and yes, he hasn't fumbled as much as many HOF backs but his fumbles over the last three years leads the league.

Shakadoodoo
8/1/2010, 08:25 AM
did you guys see Eric Bienemy schooling AD in the film room. He was preaching patience and showed a ton of Chris Johnson. AD was just soaking it all up. You know AD doesn't wanna be shown footage of CJ going for 2,000 yards so I suspect you will see AD explode this year.

They also have all the Minnesota backs using weighted footballs to prevent them from swinging them when they run.

Bienemy says AD left a few hundreds yard on the field due to his impatience.

oh, and yes, he hasn't fumbled as much as many HOF backs but his fumbles over the last three years leads the league.

That's good stuff - I hope he is soaking it all in. (even if it is a Buffalo schooling him) I remember when he was at OU how he used to always swing the ball away from his body - he was so good that he could get away with it in college but that just won't fly in the pros. I think he fights so hard trying to get those extra yards and that allows the defense to key in on the ball and cause a fumble. I think he will learn. His determination is out of this world - that has to count for something.

OU-HSV
8/1/2010, 09:32 AM
Don't confuse people with the facts - their minds are made up.

Just for the record, you don't speak for me. I posted this story because I thought it was interesting to hear ADs approach to fixing the problem.
I know he's not the first stud RB to have fumbling issues. In fact I've seen Rawlings or someone else on here post that All-Time leading rushers list of fumbling stats before in similar threads.
It's simply a hump AD can and will get past.

I'm in a couple of fantasy football leagues this year, and it looks like I'll be sitting perfect to draft AD in one league, as I have the second overall pick.

OU-HSV
8/1/2010, 09:34 AM
So, what? They want to get rid of him? NO! I think any team would love to bitch about their star running back fumbling if he WAS AD!

Agreed

1890MilesToNorman
8/1/2010, 09:54 AM
How many defensive guys have lost their balls trying to tackle AD should be the question! :D

meoveryouxinfinity
8/1/2010, 09:56 AM
AD is a great running back but last season was DEFINITELY his worst fumble-wise (at least in numbers of fumbles lost). It's something that's been getting worse and not better and needs to be looked at and worked on.

OU-HSV
8/1/2010, 10:01 AM
How many defensive guys have lost their balls trying to tackle AD should be the question! :D

Yep, just ask William Gay, ha ha. I'll never forget that one from last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrAyU3HcU0&NR=1&feature=fvwp

OU-HSV
8/1/2010, 10:06 AM
Oh and you could also ask Al Harris....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqs24InfI7g

webfoot
8/1/2010, 11:54 AM
Yep, just ask William Gay, ha ha. I'll never forget that one from last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmrAyU3HcU0&NR=1&feature=fvwp

YAC

AZSOONER
8/1/2010, 01:56 PM

Adrian Peterson 20

1 Emmitt Smith 19
2 Barry Sanders 19
3 Walter Payton 30
4 Curtis Martin 12
5 Jerome Bettis 13
6 Eric Dickerson 37
7 Tony Dorsett 28
8 LaDanian Tomlinson 13
9 Jim Brown 14
10 Marshall Faulk 15
11 Edgerrin James 16
12 Marcus Allen 27
13 Franco Harris 24
14 Thurman Thomas 22

Nice, puts things into perspective. You have a stat of how many carries they each had to go along with that?

AZSOONER
8/1/2010, 01:58 PM
Agreed

2nd that agreed. :D :pop: