PDA

View Full Version : Sam's 78 mil contract

soonerfromgeorgia
7/30/2010, 09:35 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5425041

OU-HSV
7/30/2010, 09:45 PM
Congrats to Sam...I know he'll do well. I expect big things in store for the Rams. I'll be following them

swardboy
7/30/2010, 09:54 PM
Let the fireworks in St. Louie begin!

Dio
7/30/2010, 09:55 PM
Congrats Sam!

Can I borrow a mil or so, just 'til payday?

Boooom!
7/30/2010, 10:02 PM
yeah... and he still owes me $20 ...

...im thinking compounded interest!

Mazeppa
7/30/2010, 10:09 PM
Sources told ESPN that the deal can worth as much as $86 million.

What has happened to journalism? When I was younger you would never see a sentence like this in any publication.

SoonerDomiNation
7/30/2010, 10:09 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

E-Town
7/30/2010, 10:14 PM
Sam Bradford signed "a half a hundred" million in guaranteed money. Way to go Sam.

sooner518
7/30/2010, 10:16 PM
Wow.

Surprised it was that high. Stafford only got 41 guaranteed last year. 9million more seems like alot. But glad it happenned to our guy.

With rookie contracts going way down next year, how long will Sam hold the record for biggest guaranteed contract for an NFL player? 10 years? 20?

SoonerDomiNation
7/30/2010, 10:20 PM
Maybe he can afford to buy us all a ticket to his first game.

SoonerDomiNation
7/30/2010, 10:21 PM
Or some lineman.

Soonerus
7/30/2010, 10:21 PM
Wow. Just Wow.

Ditto !!!

BlownGP
7/30/2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe he can afford to buy us all a ticket to his first game.

He probably could afford it for the 6 years on his contract.. hahaah

jesus thats a lot of money!!!!!!!!!

AlbqSooner
7/31/2010, 06:34 AM
Nice thing is, with Sam's intelligence and degree in finance, he will probably be better at holding on to it than a lot of NFLers.

prrriiide
7/31/2010, 07:47 AM
Nice thing is, with Sam's intelligence and degree in finance, he will probably be better at holding on to it than a lot of NFLers.

I was just thinking that he would probably be one of the wealthiest ex-NFLers EVER when he retires.

StoopTroup
7/31/2010, 09:21 AM
I could of negotiated more dough for him. This is very sad. ;)

Breadburner
7/31/2010, 09:53 AM
I dont think we willl have to worry about him getting a kennel full of pit-bulls.....

fadada1
7/31/2010, 10:30 AM
i would've taken half that... just to save the rams some money.

StoopTroup
7/31/2010, 10:42 AM
i would've taken half that... just to save the rams some money.

Homers do that. :D

No1Better
7/31/2010, 10:47 AM
With what he just signed up for - he'll never have to touch the principal. The Rams will pick up just about all of his living expenses during the season, plus I'm sure there are some other riders in his contract about them purchasing his first car and house and what not. If he invests wisely (which should be a no brainer since he has a Finance degree and is highly intelligent and will probably hand off his dough to Goldman Sachs and a tax attorney), he could earn 10 percent per year on his scratch compounded annually for the next 50 years which would earn him another 25 million - easy. Not to mention contract extensions, bonuses and endorsements. He could realistically be worth 500 million in the next 10 years, if not more. All of this is contingent on him excelling of course, but I think that's always a risk and knowing Sam, he'll do whatever it takes to succeed.

As far as giving back, expect him to do alot behind the scenes. He'll probably pay off some friends student loans, give generously to children's charities and offer assistance to young athletes to attend expensive camps to give them a shot at getting to the next level. As for OU, expect him to donate heavily to the university, endow some scholarships and maybe even a professor chair or two. Either way, he will be a consistent fixture on the OU landscape - forever.

Just my 2 cents...

StoopTroup
7/31/2010, 10:53 AM
I think he'll buy at least one BLING item.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/stooptroup/superman-bling-diamond.jpg

BoomerJ
7/31/2010, 11:39 AM
He probably could afford it for the 6 years on his contract.. hahaah

jesus thats a lot of money!!!!!!!!!

Jesus has more money than that

Leroy Lizard
7/31/2010, 12:16 PM
As far as giving back, expect him to do alot behind the scenes. He'll probably pay off some friends student loans...

That's one that I do not expect him to do.

sooner59
7/31/2010, 12:22 PM
Jesus has more money than that

Well, Jesus was actually waiting for Sam to sign so he could re-negotiate his contract with God. I heard this from Adam Shefter on ESPN via Twitter.

AZSOONER
7/31/2010, 03:43 PM
Good for Sam. I hope he has an awsome career.

rawlingsHOH
7/31/2010, 03:46 PM
With what he just signed up for - he'll never have to touch the principal. The Rams will pick up just about all of his living expenses during the season, plus I'm sure there are some other riders in his contract about them purchasing his first car and house and what not. If he invests wisely (which should be a no brainer since he has a Finance degree and is highly intelligent and will probably hand off his dough to Goldman Sachs and a tax attorney), he could earn 10 percent per year on his scratch compounded annually for the next 50 years which would earn him another 25 million - easy. Not to mention contract extensions, bonuses and endorsements. He could realistically be worth 500 million in the next 10 years, if not more. All of this is contingent on him excelling of course, but I think that's always a risk and knowing Sam, he'll do whatever it takes to succeed.

As far as giving back, expect him to do alot behind the scenes. He'll probably pay off some friends student loans, give generously to children's charities and offer assistance to young athletes to attend expensive camps to give them a shot at getting to the next level. As for OU, expect him to donate heavily to the university, endow some scholarships and maybe even a professor chair or two. Either way, he will be a consistent fixture on the OU landscape - forever.

Just my 2 cents...

That's a new one.

meoveryouxinfinity
7/31/2010, 03:53 PM
Well, Jesus was actually waiting for Sam to sign so he could re-negotiate his contract with God. I heard this from Adam Shefter on ESPN via Twitter.

Why do we always have to mention Tebow? WHY?

AZSOONER
7/31/2010, 05:42 PM
I'm a Rams fan now BTW

SunnySooner
7/31/2010, 09:13 PM
Go Sam, can't wait to watch him play, I may even have to buy a Rams jersey. I hope he ends up in the HOF, sets records in the Neffel, and makes people 20 years from now say "Tewho?" Great kid, great family, I know he'll spend it right, but I would love to see him buy something ridiculously expensive and fun just for himself, he deserves it. Broke my heart last year watching him stand on the sidelines, hope this makes it all better. ;)

diegosooner
8/1/2010, 12:26 PM
I'm just glad he's not a holdout during training camp.

I'd wish him good luck, but it's all about the treatment.

delhalew
8/1/2010, 01:20 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/428124-sam-bradfords-bonanza
This sums up my thoughts on Sam's decision...none of my business.

"Bradford did what he wanted on his terms. The fact that Bradford just signed one of the largest contracts in NFL history doesn't make his decision to spend another year in school right or wrong. That's not our call.

What really matters is that, for Bradford, it was the right call all along."

BoomerJack
8/2/2010, 09:57 AM
I just hope that for the sake of Bradford's physical health and well being over the next 2-3 years that he won't be wishing that the Rams would taken some of that $$$$ and invested it in some good offensive linemen.

Sabanball
8/2/2010, 03:40 PM
While I don't blame Sam one bit for taking what he could get, I have a hard time understanding how any NFL team can throw this much guaranteed money at a young man that just suffered and rehabbed a major injury and has never taken a professional snap from center. I predicted in the summer of '08 that he would win the heisman and I think he was a great collegiate player, but I think he's too much of a 'system qb' and I'm skeptical of him being able to handle long term the hits he's going to get on sundays. He ran up HUGE NUMBERS hardly ever having to venture out of the pocket against a league with few decent defenses.

Remember how Texas had the world's #1 ranked run defense last January? How did they get that? By playing a bunch of teams in the Big 12 that never run the ball anyway. Bradford's big numbers come off a five-game 300-plus point aerial barrage against a bunch of nobodies defensively (let's not forget the same year that Bradford hung 65 points on Texas Tech, even Jevan Snead of Ole Miss hung 47 on them). Give him a good pass defense like Florida in the title game - and, well, things were a little different.

All that being said, I don't think he will be a total bust like Jemarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf by any means, but I don't think he's the third coming of Joe Montana or John Elway either. I'm a big fan of him though and I'll be pulling for him and the rams(except when they play Dallas...;-))

KantoSooner
8/2/2010, 03:56 PM
I think you're being a tad harsh, but we'll know soon enough. Consider when you refer to Sam as a 'system qb' that OU had a psychotically balanced offense during his entire stay here. This was not TT with 80 passes a game. Bradford is the real deal. Whether he is durable enough to play with a substandard O Line is anyone's guess right now, but he's done his part in adding a lot of muscle and strength.

I also think you are bit hasty in throwing Big 12 defenses away so quickly. Flowduh and Bama have both won against B12 competition. I would point out, however, that one could, if so inclined, make some comments about circumstances in both cases. I won't. You guys won. But Ess EEE Ceee notwithstanding there's nothing magical about a streak. Enjoy it because they end.

They always do.

delhalew
8/2/2010, 03:57 PM
While I don't blame Sam one bit for taking what he could get, I have a hard time understanding how any NFL team can throw this much guaranteed money at a young man that just suffered and rehabbed a major injury and has never taken a professional snap from center. I predicted in the summer of '08 that he would win the heisman and I think he was a great collegiate player, but I think he's too much of a 'system qb' and I'm skeptical of him being able to handle long term the hits he's going to get on sundays. He ran up HUGE NUMBERS against a league with few decent defenses.

Remember how Texas had the world's #1 ranked run defense last January? How did they get that? By playing a bunch of teams in the Big 12 that never run the ball anyway. Bradford's big numbers come off a five-game 300-plus point aerial barrage against a bunch of nobodies defensively (let's not forget the same year that Bradford hung 65 points on Texas Tech, even Jevan Snead of Ole Miss hung 47 on them). Give him a good pass defense like Florida in the title game - and, well, things were a little different.

All that being said, I don't think he will be a total bust like Jemarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf, but I don't think he's the second coming of Joe Montana either. I'm a big fan of him though and I'll be pulling for him and the rams(except when they play Dallas...;-))

Don't make me lose the respect I have gathered for you. You were making sense until you went off your balls with comments like "system qb" and "weak defenses". Why don't you start up a SEC chant.

Serge Ibaka
8/2/2010, 04:04 PM
I swear-to-Gawd! that I saw Sam driving around Norman last weekend in a good-but-not-great white SUV.

Time to get yourself a new ride, Sammy. Throw some touchdowns and make us proud.

SoonerMom2
8/2/2010, 04:27 PM
I'm a Rams fan now BTW

My son has always liked the Rams going back to when he was little and we lived in So Cal but now he is joined by his sister and me as Rams fans! With no Sooners on the Cowboys, that was an easy decision to make. We have also liked the Bengals. With Williams and Brown on the offensive line for the Redskins, it will be Redskins over Cowboys for us.

Why Jerry Jones doesn't draft Sooners is beyond me with such a large fan base but now I don't care if he ever drafts another Sooner.

Sabanball
8/2/2010, 04:29 PM
Just giving my honest opinion, Delahew. Anyone that reads my posts knows that I'm a big Sam Bradford fan. I just don' t see the logic behind this much money in the deal. This would never happen in another profession.

Don't make me lose the respect I have gathered for you. You were making sense until you went off your balls with comments like "system qb" and "weak defenses". Why don't you start up a SEC chant.

...or brag about our 50 NC's? Thought I'd go ahead and get that out of the way too before someone else gets their little fe-fes hurt and says it...;)

Sabanball
8/2/2010, 04:31 PM
My son has always liked the Rams going back to when he was little and we lived in So Cal but now he is joined by his sister and me as Rams fans! With no Sooners on the Cowboys, that was an easy decision to make. We have also liked the Bengals. With Williams and Brown on the offensive line for the Redskins, it will be Redskins over Cowboys for us.

Why Jerry Jones doesn't draft Sooners is beyond me with such a large fan base but now I don't care if he ever drafts another Sooner.

I thought he drafted Roy Williams(now with the Bengals).

delhalew
8/2/2010, 04:57 PM
Just giving my honest opinion, Delahew. Anyone that reads my posts knows that I'm a big Sam Bradford fan. I just don' t see the logic behind this much money in the deal. This would never happen in another profession.

...or brag about our 50 NC's? Thought I'd go ahead and get that out of the way too before someone else gets their little fe-fes hurt and says it...;)

Your opinion on NFL money is more than valid. It was the rest of the post that made it sound like you don't watch a lot of football. Sounds like you didn't even watch the 08 NC game.

Collier11
8/2/2010, 05:15 PM
We all know how hard the NFL is for rookies, that difficulty is compounded by the fact that the Rams are so bad. Having said that, if there was ever a rookie who could go in a play well it is Sam. I really hope he can turn them around while not getting killed along the way

OU-HSV
8/2/2010, 05:21 PM
While I don't blame Sam one bit for taking what he could get, I have a hard time understanding how any NFL team can throw this much guaranteed money at a young man that just suffered and rehabbed a major injury and has never taken a professional snap from center. I predicted in the summer of '08 that he would win the heisman and I think he was a great collegiate player, but I think he's too much of a 'system qb' and I'm skeptical of him being able to handle long term the hits he's going to get on sundays. He ran up HUGE NUMBERS hardly ever having to venture out of the pocket against a league with few decent defenses.

All that being said, I don't think he will be a total bust like Jemarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf by any means, but I don't think he's the third coming of Joe Montana or John Elway either. I'm a big fan of him though and I'll be pulling for him and the rams(except when they play Dallas...;-))
So throwing 26-41 256 yds 2 tds against florida was a terrible performance or something? Let's not act like the gayturds shut him down in that title game (yes I know he had two ints as well, one of which should've been caught/if not both of them. I recall one tipping off Iglesias in the end zone I believe, but I can't remember the other).
Also, I'm very surprised and disappointed to hear you call Sam a system QB. Anyone who watched him play knows how great he was and is...regardless of the system he played in. From the first game (in person) that I saw him play in against Miami in '07, until the last game I saw him play in against Baylor this past year he was always impressive. And I saw him play multiple times in person, including the Red River Rivalry game in '08/which even though it was a loss...he played his *** off and had a huge game, he made throws on the move outside of the pocket (one that immediately comes to mind is when he rolled out to the right and threaded the ball into the WR's hands at the edge of the endzone/all the while being pressured and into tight coverage.) He ventured out of the pocket more than you give him credit for...and when he did, he was still solid on the move.
He is such an accurate passer. Rarely (if ever) gets rattled...is obviously a good decision maker, etc, etc...I could go on an on.
Sabanball, the term system QB is most often looked upon negatively around here...especially if you're referring to Sam Bradford, one of the most elite QBs in the great history of Oklahoma football. I've lost some respect for you due to that post. I don't care if you say you really like and respect Sam or not. To call him a system QB is ridiculous in my opinion if you've really seen the guy play.

delhalew
8/2/2010, 05:24 PM
We all know how hard the NFL is for rookies, that difficulty is compounded by the fact that the Rams are so bad. Having said that, if there was ever a rookie who could go in a play well it is Sam. I really hope he can turn them around while not getting killed along the way

Tell you what, man. I have been listening to NFL radio a lot stuck in my truck, just hoping to hear a comment on Sam or our other guys. Aside from our guys, I couldn't care less about the pro game.
Sam is the number one pick and you almost never hear his name. I know this is because the Rams are supposed to be awful, but these guys have no idea how intelligent and determined Sam is. If he get any protection, I believe these talking heads will be shocked...within reason of course. I know rookies don't set the world on fire.

Sabanball
8/2/2010, 07:06 PM
So throwing 26-41 256 yds 2 tds against florida was a terrible performance or something? Let's not act like the gayturds shut him down in that title game (yes I know he had two ints as well, one of which should've been caught/if not both of them. I recall one tipping off Iglesias in the end zone I believe, but I can't remember the other).
Also, I'm very surprised and disappointed to hear you call Sam a system QB. Anyone who watched him play knows how great he was and is...regardless of the system he played in. From the first game (in person) that I saw him play in against Miami in '07, until the last game I saw him play in against Baylor this past year he was always impressive. And I saw him play multiple times in person, including the Red River Rivalry game in '08/which even though it was a loss...he played his *** off and had a huge game, he made throws on the move outside of the pocket (one that immediately comes to mind is when he rolled out to the right and threaded the ball into the WR's hands at the edge of the endzone/all the while being pressured and into tight coverage.) He ventured out of the pocket more than you give him credit for...and when he did, he was still solid on the move.
He is such an accurate passer. Rarely (if ever) gets rattled...is obviously a good decision maker, etc, etc...I could go on an on.
Sabanball, the term system QB is most often looked upon negatively around here...especially if you're referring to Sam Bradford, one of the most elite QBs in the great history of Oklahoma football. I've lost some respect for you due to that post. I don't care if you say you really like and respect Sam or not. To call him a system QB is ridiculous in my opinion if you've really seen the guy play.

You'll get no argument from me on how good of a qb Sam was in college. I would have loved to have had him in Tuscaloosa the last three years. I was probably on his bandwagon long before some of you here even were. I predicted he would win the heisman right after watching him lead you guys over the l**ghorns in '07. The difference in opinion between you and me is his fair market value as a pro prospect--and that he has not really been tested by playing against any great defenses. There's really nothing more else to say. Let's revisit this subject in about 24 months, that's when we'll all know if he was really worth that much money to the rams. I hope I'm wrong....I really do.

rawlingsHOH
8/2/2010, 07:18 PM

a) he played very well against FLA, the WRs were kind of exposed against better athletes in the UF secondary

b) the 1st INT was a ball he forced down by the goalline that was deflected. the 2nd INT was a long ball down the middle where Iglesias was abused, not Sam's fault on that one.

delhalew
8/2/2010, 07:27 PM
You'll get no argument from me on how good of a qb Sam was in college. I would have loved to have had him in Tuscaloosa the last three years. I was probably on his bandwagon long before some of you here even were. I predicted he would win the heisman right after watching him lead you guys over the l**ghorns in '07. The difference in opinion between you and me is his fair market value as a pro prospect--and that he has not really been tested by playing against any great defenses. There's really nothing more else to say. Let's revisit this subject in about 24 months, that's when we'll all know if he was really worth that much money to the rams. I hope I'm wrong....I really do.

Regardless of whether Sam works out in the Neffel, it is your assertion that he didn't play against great defenses that is dellusional. The whorns always have good D and Sam himself performed quite well against Florida without Murrey who had been his ace in the hole. If anything, Florida was surprised by the caliber of D they were facing. Weak defense? You hope Bama doesn't get a hold of us this year. You might strangle our offense(we still have to see your D just like our offense), but your gonna have to get yours in a few yards and a cloud of dust...something I know Saban is willing to do.
Here's hoping you survive that scheduling snaffu and you can come get some.

OU-HSV
8/2/2010, 08:34 PM

I'm not arguing with you about the money situation. The only thing I'll say is if there's a QB that was taken in the draft number one overall...he ought to get the biggest financial deal in that draft and a team shouldn't draft a QB that high unless they plan on paying him *** loads of money. But I'll agree w/you, the amount of money ALL those guys are making is unreal. So I'm not going to get in the whole NFL salary conversation.

As I said, the part that bothered me about your original post is the part where you seem to attempt to downgrade his athletic capabilities...as if he just got to sit in the pocket his whole college career and he didn't have to move around and he had guys totally wide open every down. I mean come on, if you've really watched him play more than a couple snaps, you ought to know he's more than a "system QB".
When I was sitting there in the North endzone watching Sam pick apart the Miami defense, that's when I knew he was the real deal. I looked at my brother and my buddy that was with us at the game and I said things along the lines of "holy crap, this kids for real". He made some throws that were probably more accurate than I've ever seen from a college QB. I remember a couple of passes in that particular game where he threw between 2 or 3 defenders to get the ball exactly where it needed to be. And when a QB is doing those type of things, it doesn't matter if it's a great defense or mediocre defense...the thing is even when defenders were in the right position to make a play, he still got the ball to the receiver. And it wasn't only in that game alone obviously, he did that in nearly every game he played in. So the Sam bandwagon..yeah I've been on it for the long haul as well.

And no matter what you or the other die hard SEC fans think...there aren't any college defensive units that compare to pro defenses. In the NFL, we're not just talking about one standout MLB or DB or D-lineman on a unit...we're talking about defenses that have the best positional players all over the field, nearly an 11 man squad of some of the best quality defenders in the sport of football. So now tell me, what college QB has played against that caliber of "great" defenses before they are in the NFL?? Matt Stafford didn't, Rev Timmy didn't, Matt Leinart didn't, Donovan McNabb didn't, Troy Aikman didn't, Peyton Manning didn't, Tom Brady didn't, etc. etc. (you get my point). I'm not saying Sam is gonna strut into the NFL and light the world up his first year. It's gonna take time, it does with any QB (great or not). It will certainly take him time being the Rams' QB, but he's for sure showed all the signs of what a team wants in a young franchise QB. And multiple experts must think the same or they wouldn't have drafted him and furthermore if his shoulder wasn't ready (in the opinion of doctors and the Rams staff) then they wouldn't have drafted him so high.
So yes, let's bump this thread up after 2 or 3 seasons from now and see where he's at as an NFL QB. I honestly think we're going to see some big things from him.

OU-HSV
8/2/2010, 08:37 PM
a) he played very well against FLA, the WRs were kind of exposed against better athletes in the UF secondary

b) the 1st INT was a ball he forced down by the goalline that was deflected. the 2nd INT was a long ball down the middle where Iglesias was abused, not Sam's fault on that one.

I agree. Florida had a solid defense, and Sam played good against them. That was my main point.
And thinking back on it, I believe Manny was the one that tipped the int at the goal line. I think I accidentally blamed Iglesias for it, my bad.

Sabanball
8/2/2010, 09:04 PM
HSV,

I'm sorry if I hit a nerve by calling him a 'system qb'--but I'm just giving my honest opinion. I've always been allowed to do that on this forum as long as it was presented in a respectful way--that's one reason I come here. Now you know how I feel when you guys constantly(and jokingly, I know, but all the same) bring up how many NC's our university claims.;), as if somehow just having 7 AP NC's isn't all that big of a deal.

History will ultimately judge how good of a pro qb Sam will be. Like I said earlier, as long as he is not playing against my cowboys I'll be pulling for him!

Collier11
8/2/2010, 09:05 PM
The diff is that you alls claim of how many natl titles you have is a joke, lol

swardboy
8/2/2010, 09:18 PM
Although I've done a lot of growing up in Ram country rooting for them, and am back in it, they were just so awful I couldn't watch a game last year...and they're on here EVERY Sunday. NOW, I can't wait for the season to start and a chance to see Sam EVERY weekend. Isn't that funny? Hahahahahahahaha....ah ha.

delhalew
8/2/2010, 09:28 PM
HSV,

I'm sorry if I hit a nerve by calling him a 'system qb'--but I'm just giving my honest opinion. I've always been allowed to do that on this forum as long as it was presented in a respectful way--that's one reason I come here. Now you know how I feel when you guys constantly(and jokingly, I know, but all the same) bring up how many NC's our university claims.;), as if somehow just having 7 AP NC's isn't all that big of a deal.

History will ultimately judge how good of a pro qb Sam will be. Like I said earlier, as long as he is not playing against my cowboys I'll be pulling for him!

You are usually very respectful so I can deal with the defense comment, but I don't even think it's fair to call the Texas Tech QB a "system QB" much less the QB running our offense.

OU-HSV
8/2/2010, 10:43 PM
HSV,

Oh I know you are respectful and tend to hold good conversations on here. I guess that's the main reason your original comment struck me as unusual coming from you. Not that you were being disrespectful, just that you have such a different/minority opinion on what Sam Bradford really is as a QB. Anyway, we both kept this thing respectful. Although my responses we're a bit lengthy, I think I made some good points to think about. Hopefully my points combined with Sam's on the field performance for the next several years will change your mind ;)

Anyway, I hate offseason...and your post interested me, and it's a million degrees outside. So I thought I'd sit in the A/C and chime in on your post. :D

47straight
8/3/2010, 01:16 PM
How in the world did a system quarterback do that good against SEC SPEED!!! <tm>?

I'll take your answer off the air Kthanks.