PDA

View Full Version : Utah State to SURPRISE OU?

gaylordfan1
7/30/2010, 01:28 PM
http://www.boxscorenews.com/clients/boxscorenews/utah-state-could-surprise-sooners-wac-p609-68.htm

Palease! Feel free to discuss!

oudivesherpa
7/30/2010, 01:30 PM
By showing up?

gaylordfan1
7/30/2010, 01:31 PM
Nice....

Shakadoodoo
7/30/2010, 01:33 PM
The can not surprise us if we are ready!!!

cheezyq
7/30/2010, 01:39 PM
Please god...don't let them lift weights.

badger
7/30/2010, 01:41 PM
ESPN wrote a feature in 2007 on North Texas hiring Dodge and having the team sooooo fired up for their season opener at Owen Field, how they were going to shock the world and pull off the ultimate upset on the road. They had a nice contingent of fans and brought their full band that played their cute fight song repeatedly (Me singing along: "We got a first down, ha-ha, HA HA!")

Four quarters later, 79-10.

soonerboy_odanorth
I remember a particular home opener against UAB that was a little more interesting than people would have liked. If they do indeed have 20 starters back that certainly is the type of experience that could make things uncomfortable for the home crowd for a quarter or two.

But in the end we'll pull away and win by at least 3 TD's, just as we did against UAB.

Mississippi Sooner
Word has it the Utah State fans are excited about the upcoming season following coach Gary Anderson's impressive 4-8 record during his first year.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2010, 01:48 PM
That UAB team was a quality mid level football team, probably 35-45 type team..Utah State is a 100-120 type team..

oudavid1
7/30/2010, 01:49 PM
We have Owen Field, we have potential pro players, we have Robert Stoops.

CBUS_SOONER
7/30/2010, 01:51 PM
I respect Utah State as well as everyone on our schedule. I remember a yr. ago, many on this site laughing at BYU...

1890MilesToNorman
7/30/2010, 01:52 PM
Where is Utah? Can they get to Norman from there?

Mississippi Sooner
7/30/2010, 01:56 PM
I just wonder why they are called the Aggies. Do they do a lot of farming in Utah?

Crap, now someone is going to put up a link showing that it's the turnip capital of the world.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/30/2010, 01:57 PM
Comparing Utah State and BYU is like comparing Florida and Central Florida

KantoSooner
7/30/2010, 02:08 PM
Sept. 4. Norman. Outside. It will hot my friends. And they are from the mountains. I trust my groundskeeping staff will have pulled their typical and the field will have been well and deeply watered the night before.
Estimated conditions: around 110 on the field with 95% humidity.
If nothing else, that will make it fun.
I am not worried.

C&CDean
7/30/2010, 02:19 PM
If they score 10 points I'll be surprised.

budbarrybob
7/30/2010, 02:22 PM
we're DOOMED!

yankee
7/30/2010, 02:23 PM
this game is over the minute utah state shows up to the stadium.

Mississippi Sooner
7/30/2010, 02:28 PM
I wonder if this will be our one annual game that will only be available on pay per view.

That's one thing I liked about our deal with TBS. TBS would actually show games like this that Fox and ABC didn't care about.

Salt City Sooner
7/30/2010, 03:09 PM
I remember a particular home opener against UAB that was a little more interesting than people would have liked. If they do indeed have 20 starters back that certainly is the type of experience that could make things uncomfortable for the home crowd for a quarter or two.

But in the end we'll pull away and win by at least 3 TD's, just as we did against UAB.
We beat UAB 24-17, & got a very questionable call to go our way on a Reggie Smith fumble down in our red zone or that game is even tighter, if not tied up.

rawlingsHOH
7/30/2010, 03:19 PM
Would be the biggest upset of all time.

I feel confident.

Mad Dog Madsen
7/30/2010, 03:31 PM
Would be the biggest upset of all time.

I feel confident.

I disagree. They're not quite Appalachian State. ...I say 51-6 OU

Leroy Lizard
7/30/2010, 03:36 PM
I predict a Utah State victory, 73-68. I also predict that Curly Bill will blame KW.

Crucifax Autumn
7/30/2010, 03:39 PM
Well, if he'd just call more passes/runs/trick plays/superdooperrunarownskies we'd win dammit!

Leroy Lizard
7/30/2010, 04:46 PM
Well, if he'd just call more passes/runs/trick plays/superdooperrunarownskies we'd win dammit!

A real OC doesn't need all that. He just needs to dial up ye olde "Play That's Guaranteed to Work," which is defined as "The Play That Was Not Called."

soonerboy_odanorth
7/30/2010, 04:57 PM
We beat UAB 24-17, & got a very questionable call to go our way on a Reggie Smith fumble down in our red zone or that game is even tighter, if not tied up.

By Golly, you're right. I just forgot it was even that close. I had a score of like 28-3 stuck in my head for some reason.... and I was at that game.

Was that the first appearance of OVJ? Oh man I just got a wicked chill up my spine....

PLaw
7/30/2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.boxscorenews.com/clients/boxscorenews/utah-state-could-surprise-sooners-wac-p609-68.htm

Palease! Feel free to discuss!

PREDICTION: Sooners hang half a hundred sometime during the third and Landry has his shoulders pads off in the fourth with the clip board and ball cap. Defense racks up their first shut out of the season.

Boomer

KantoSooner
7/30/2010, 05:14 PM
We can certainly hope that someone on the coaching staff has figured out how to start games hot and eliminate the need for second half play.

Really now, we don't want to be cruel, and, since they are going to lose already, isn't it the kind thing to do to put them down quickly and, relatively, painlessly?

AZSOONER
7/30/2010, 05:16 PM
If they score 10 points I'll be surprised.

Ditto

silverwheels
7/30/2010, 05:46 PM
I wonder if this will be our one annual game that will only be available on pay per view.

That's one thing I liked about our deal with TBS. TBS would actually show games like this that Fox and ABC didn't care about.

Most likely. Right now it's set for 6 pm central with no TV, which screams FSN PPV.

Eielson
7/30/2010, 05:56 PM
I respect Utah State as well as everyone on our schedule. I remember a yr. ago, many on this site laughing at BYU...

Wow.

Eielson
7/30/2010, 05:58 PM

I'm not sure that Appalachian State is better than Utah State, but I'd be extremely disappointed if we were on the same level as that Michigan team.

stoopified
7/30/2010, 06:08 PM
If we don't win by at least 4 TDs this is going to be another 8-5 year.

texaspokieokie
7/30/2010, 06:08 PM
i know i wasn't laffing @ byu.

silverwheels
7/30/2010, 06:10 PM

Maybe. We'll learn much more about the team from the Cincinnati game than this one.

mightysooner
7/30/2010, 06:17 PM
We'll go into halftime up 28-0.

Crucifax Autumn
7/30/2010, 06:23 PM
28-0 will be a letdown for me. But I'm the a$$hole screaming for another score up 77-0 too.

rawlingsHOH
7/30/2010, 06:46 PM

Appalachain State, at least their NC teams, would beat USU.

cvsooner
7/30/2010, 06:50 PM
I suspect Utah State will be tougher than expected. I don't expect us to pull away until the 4th quarter.

I also think Florida State is going to be a dogfight like we haven't seen in Norman in a while. Air Force is no slouch either.

rawlingsHOH
7/30/2010, 06:56 PM
I think the biggest upset of the point spread era was Stanford over a 41-point favorite, USC. I believe OU will be at least that over Utah State.

The unofficial Michigan/Appalachian line was around 27-28, I think. "Unofficial" because Vegas usually doesn't give 1A-1AA spreads.

rawlingsHOH
7/30/2010, 06:58 PM
I suspect Utah State will be tougher than expected. I don't expect us to pull away until the 4th quarter.

I also think Florida State is going to be a dogfight like we haven't seen in Norman in a while. Air Force is no slouch either.

Yep, looks like an 0-3 home non-conference slate is quite possibile.

LO-efin-L!

GottaHavePride
7/30/2010, 07:00 PM
I predict a Utah State victory, 73-68. I also predict that Curly Bill will blame KW.

What, are we going to let Kelvin Sampson coach that one?

;)

silverwheels
7/30/2010, 07:09 PM
If it was a game involving Kelvin Sampson, the score would be more like 59-53.

Leroy Lizard
7/30/2010, 07:24 PM
28-0 will be a letdown for me. But I'm the a$$hole screaming for another score up 77-0 too.

Fire Venables!

yankee
7/30/2010, 08:02 PM

/facepalm.

it's utah freaking state people. they aren't BYU. they aren't '05 TCU. this team went like 4-8 last year and plays in the WAC.

soonerfromgeorgia
7/30/2010, 08:18 PM
I just wonder why they are called the Aggies. Do they do a lot of farming in Utah?

Crap, now someone is going to put up a link showing that it's the turnip capital of the world.

They have a HS out there that has a "beet digger" as their mascot, they came to play here in Georgia a few years back.

yankee
7/30/2010, 08:25 PM
http://humordistrict.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Dwight-Schrute.jpg

John Kochtoston
7/30/2010, 08:48 PM
I refuse to take any article seriously that lists the score backwards because the writer's team lost.

goingoneight
7/30/2010, 10:33 PM

I don't know if I'd go that far. It took hell and high water for us to go 8-5 a year ago. 2006, we said that about UAB.

"zomg we gonna succcc can't believe this only 24-17 over succccy UAB!!!1111!1"

I think this team is very similar to the 2006 team. It could take a couple of games to get going, and we're a couple of games in Norman from our first big-time road challenge. Solid depth on defense, good running backs, experienced receivers and linemen... the team's got to get out there and put it all together. Hopefully we're ahead of where we were in 2006, because in '06, it was the MK/AD show until they all caught on. This year, not only do we NOT have a Bomar at QB, we have Murray, Broyles, Miller and Reynolds PLUS a better defense it would appear. Let's not forget how bad the 2006 defense sucked the first five games or so.

Eielson
7/30/2010, 11:57 PM
I love how people are telling us how we can't overlook people. What do they think is going to happen? Are we going to lose a game because of fan overconfidence?

Leroy Lizard
7/31/2010, 12:42 AM
I love how people are telling us how we can't overlook people. What do they think is going to happen? Are we going to lose a game because of fan overconfidence?

Karma.

gaylordfan1
7/31/2010, 01:08 AM

4th quarter? Really? Maybe you know something we don't! Please let us know!

sendbaht
7/31/2010, 02:42 AM
". Considering their improvement, the Sooners should not expect such an easy go of it this time around."

Might be some truth in this you never know, so the score might me
54 to 6 all thanks to this Anderson guy.

prrriiide
7/31/2010, 07:59 AM

Seriously, Nancy?

PUH-LEEEZE

I have never seen another team in any sport have a run of bad luck like OU had last season, and the Sooners and Stoops still pulled 8 wins out of their asses. I think that last season might have been one of Stoops best coaching jobs of his career to pull it off. With all that happened last year, by all rights and logic the Sooners should have lost at least 3 more games than they did.

Get a grip.

the_edge
7/31/2010, 12:20 PM
Seriously, Nancy?

PUH-LEEEZE

I have never seen another team in any sport have a run of bad luck like OU had last season, and the Sooners and Stoops still pulled 8 wins out of their asses. I think that last season might have been one of Stoops best coaching jobs of his career to pull it off. With all that happened last year, by all rights and logic the Sooners should have lost at least 3 more games than they did.

Get a grip.

Not to mention that even as mediocre as we were last season, we still crushed everybody at home.

Salt City Sooner
7/31/2010, 01:21 PM
Not to mention that even as mediocre as we were last season, we still crushed everybody at home.
Not trying to discredit the guys or anything, but there's an overlooked contributing factor for that; that being the fact that the only team that played OU in Norman last year that finished with a winning record was OSU. Everybody else they played that was worth a flip was on the road or at a neutral site.

oudavid1
7/31/2010, 01:51 PM
Well how about if they score on our first team defense, we replace OSU with them because they couldn't do it in Norman.

Everyone chill, we are going to own

goingoneight
7/31/2010, 04:52 PM
I find it funny we're being referred to as "Zero" by Poke fans lately. It's like they have an appreciation for their score against us.

In all seriousness... I don't know when this home field thing is going to let up. I sure as hell enjoy it, and hope we break Notre Damn's home game winning streak. I hope we never lose in Norman again. Sooner Magic is definitely inside Memorial Stadium. Not the kinda "magic" where the ball bounces our way, either. It's the kinda magic that makes OU live up to ridiculous expectations... like hanging half a hundred on the BIG East Champion, beating the second ranked team in the country by 44 points, shutting out and blowing out the 12th-ranked team in the country (known for it's offense) with a patchwork, unranked, 7-win team... I could go on.

With the kind of momentum OU has in Norman, how could anyone pick against them right now? Especially against Utah State. The BYU comparison is laughable. That's like all the people fretting a winless in 2006 North Texas because an up-and-coming TCU program beat a REALLY bad OU team in 2005.

Texas got hammered by us in 2000 and 2003, but you didn't see them shaking in their boots about playing OSU, did you?

Salt City Sooner
7/31/2010, 09:51 PM
I find it funny we're being referred to as "Zero" by Poke fans lately. It's like they have an appreciation for their score against us.

In all seriousness... I don't know when this home field thing is going to let up. I sure as hell enjoy it, and hope we break Notre Damn's home game winning streak. I hope we never lose in Norman again. Sooner Magic is definitely inside Memorial Stadium. Not the kinda "magic" where the ball bounces our way, either. It's the kinda magic that makes OU live up to ridiculous expectations... like hanging half a hundred on the BIG East Champion, beating the second ranked team in the country by 44 points, shutting out and blowing out the 12th-ranked team in the country (known for it's offense) with a patchwork, unranked, 7-win team... I could go on.

With the kind of momentum OU has in Norman, how could anyone pick against them right now? Especially against Utah State. The BYU comparison is laughable. That's like all the people fretting a winless in 2006 North Texas because an up-and-coming TCU program beat a REALLY bad OU team in 2005.

Texas got hammered by us in 2000 and 2003, but you didn't see them shaking in their boots about playing OSU, did you?
Apparently, pretty easily, just ask GregMeth....err, Math:

If I had to pick one of the two teams, I definitely would pick FSU. OU being historically good at home doesn't mean much for this game.

http://floridastate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1079&tid=135*****5&mid=135*****5&sid=1061&style=2

Oh, BTW, FWIW, it's Miami that holds the record for home winning streak (58 games).

PalmBeachSooner
8/1/2010, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Mississippi Sooner;2917525]I just wonder why they are called the Aggies. Do they do a lot of farming in Utah?

Actually they do. There are also a lot of ranches.

MojoRisen
8/1/2010, 01:27 PM
63-10 is my prediction. Murray will have 200 yards though.

oudavid1
8/1/2010, 05:07 PM
63-10 is my prediction. Murray will have 200 yards though.

can we hold them to 3, ehhhh we'll block the kick 63-0

DakotaSooner
8/1/2010, 09:46 PM
By Golly, you're right. I just forgot it was even that close. I had a score of like 28-3 stuck in my head for some reason.... and I was at that game.

Was that the first appearance of OVJ? Oh man I just got a wicked chill up my spine....

I remember that game and how nervous our family was watching it. I think the play that put us ahead for good was a 64 yard ish swing pass to AD.

KantoSooner
8/2/2010, 09:33 AM
Here's a little reality check I like to do when I sense the mystical substantiation of crimson glasses upon my face.

I try to look at things from the point of view of the opponent. Simple and relatively effective.

Now, from the point of view of the Utah Aggies (side note: if aggies are aggies, and you have variants of aggie-dom <see: Sand Aggie>, then what form of aggie are Utah? Mountain Aggies? Sugar Beet Aggies? I wonder, but back to body of this post....) what are they looking at?

Well, maybe they'll pass on us. I mean, we have an 'untried' secondary. How worried are you about that? Really. Setting aside our coverage, what about the pass rush? Okay, so they'll run at that unsettled interior line. Good. Taylor and company really suck, huh? Why would we believe that? Go around the corner? Good morning Mr. Beal, would you prefer your running backs fried or soft boiled?

And likewise into our offense when we're we've got the ball.

While it is not impossible for the Utah aggies to win, it would be a highly improbable event.

And much more likely is them suffering a woodshed event of biblical proportions. Go happily into the next weeks my friends, and look forward to Sept. 4.

CincySooner
8/2/2010, 09:53 AM

uh... OU hung on to win that game by a TD.

StormySooner-IN
9/9/2010, 01:30 PM
Close one....

Mississippi Sooner
9/9/2010, 01:32 PM
And the game did turn out to be very UAB-like, after all.

tnraider1
9/9/2010, 01:42 PM
There's a whole lotta crow flying around in this thread. Anybody hungry? LOL

CBUS_SOONER
9/9/2010, 03:08 PM

Like I said...

Breadburner
9/9/2010, 03:17 PM
Looks like some folks owe cvsooner an apology....

SoonerPr8r
9/9/2010, 03:20 PM
I just hope they beat Boise State